Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Enchiladas--Cook-Off 46

Cookoff Mexican

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 brucesw

brucesw
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

I think I may have experienced the enchile first-fry last method at a taqueria this past week. I had Enchiladas Michoacanas de Cordoniz and noticed when the dish was brought to the table the tortillas looked drier; I sampled them and they were al dente, not crunchy, kind of toasty tasting like a tostada although still completely flexible, no more oily than any I've had before it seemed to me.

I liked the slightly different taste and textural contrast they brought to the dish and will be trying to duplicate it when I get around to experimenting with this.

I think the thing is not many restaurants do this because the oil doesn't last as long if you're putting in enchilied tortillas.

Edited by brucesw, 07 April 2009 - 03:23 AM.

#32 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Last week I had some (ok, like 100) tortillas I wanted to use up, so I went into an enchilada-making frenzy. By way of filling, I made two kinds, pork and chicken. First, I had some BBQ pork ribs leftover that I reheated and let saute in their own fat until they were well glazed with juices and pork goodness, then cut that 50/50 with some black beans I had cooked. I added some chopped green chiles and some cheddar once it was cooled back down, and then, to help bind it together, the heavily-reduced bean-cooking liquid (based on pork stock). For the chicken I roasted a chicken, then shredded it, made a highly-reduced stock with the bones, mixed that 50/50 with the remaining black beans, and again added some chopped green chiles and cheddar.

For the chile sauce I cheated a bit. I sauteed a couple onions in pork fat until soft, then added a jar of chile powder. I let that cook in the fat a few minutes to "toast," then added some chicken stock and a can of whole tomatoes, pureed. After a few minutes I whizzed it with the immersion blender and let it cool a bit while I worked on the tortillas.

The tortillas were around a week old, which IMO is still just great for enchiladas. I sprayed them on both sides with cooking oil and popped them in the oven to heat and soften a bit. Not the same as frying, but since most of them are going to be frozen and reheated it doesn't make much difference.

Which brings me to the last step: I obviously couldn't eat 100 enchiladas in one sitting, so most of them got frozen. I first froze them individually on sheet pans, then vacuum sealed them in sets of six. To reheat them, I put a batch in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes, then sprinkle with cheese and give them another 15. The texture is a bit different than when fresh, they get crispy edges from the dry oven heat, but they are still mighty fine.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#33 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

I'm not asking about the 100 tortillas. However:

The tortillas were around a week old, which IMO is still just great for enchiladas. I sprayed them on both sides with cooking oil and popped them in the oven to heat and soften a bit. Not the same as frying, but since most of them are going to be frozen and reheated it doesn't make much difference.

View Post

More detail please. 350F oven? How long? Wrapped?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#34 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

This is a technique stolen from an old Cook's Illustrated issue: you spray both sides of the tortillas lightly with oil, then pop them in the oven to soften. The exact temperature isn't critical, just pull them out when they get soft. Because I was doing so many I used 200°F, but I usually go with 350°F because that's what I bake the enchiladas at. Once they are soft, you run them through the chile sauce, fill 'em up, and roll.

ETA: No, not wrapped. They are only in for a few minutes.

Edited by Chris Hennes, 19 April 2009 - 06:42 PM.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#35 Jmahl

Jmahl
  • participating member
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

This is a technique stolen from an old Cook's Illustrated issue: you spray both sides of the tortillas lightly with oil, then pop them in the oven to soften. The exact temperature isn't critical, just pull them out when they get soft. Because I was doing so many I used 200°F, but I usually go with 350°F because that's what I bake the enchiladas at. Once they are soft, you run them through the chile sauce, fill 'em up, and roll.

ETA: No, not wrapped. They are only in for a few minutes.

View Post

Sounds like a plan.
The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

#36 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

I made them with chicken and some leftover tortillas I'd made over the weekend with purple corn. The purple corn is denser and chewier.
Poached chicken and imported cotija cheese from Jalisco are ideal fillings.

Edited by rancho_gordo, 21 April 2009 - 07:45 PM.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!
Twitter @RanchoGordo
"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

#37 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

I made some chicken stock over the weekend and have plenty of left over breast meat from some of the chickens I used. It's been a while since I have made enchiladas, so I figured they would be a great way to use up some of the lefotver chicken. I am going to make this in stages. First, I will make the sauce tonight. Tomorrow, I will assemble and bake

The recipe I will use is from Rick Bayless' 'Mexian Everyday'. I've made it before. It calls for dried guajillo chilis. I have some of those, but will also toss in some arbols for a bit more heat. Some canned fire roasted tomatoes, some of that chicken stock, garlic, cumin in there too. I think that's everything, but can't recall without the book infront of me. It gets cooked down. I'll do all that tonight and save for tomorrow.

More details later.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#38 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

Some canned fire roasted tomatoes, some of that chicken stock, garlic, cumin in there too.

Have you made it without the tomatoes? It's pure chile heaven.
I find the guajillos can be plenty hot. I'd add some anchos for body.
Just some thoughts. I know tomatoes are delicious, but it's fun to see how far you can go without them.
Twitter @RanchoGordo
"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

#39 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

Some canned fire roasted tomatoes, some of that chicken stock, garlic, cumin in there too.

Have you made it without the tomatoes? It's pure chile heaven.
I find the guajillos can be plenty hot. I'd add some anchos for body.
Just some thoughts. I know tomatoes are delicious, but it's fun to see how far you can go without them.

View Post

I have not. I'll have to try that one time.

This time, I think I'll go with tomatoes. But maybe next time. I also want to try to make enchiladas verde. To do that, would I make a salsa verde with tomatillos, or some other way (fresh green chilis??)

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#40 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

My sauce is simmering away. here is what went into it

guajillo chiles
arbol chiles
garlic
onion
fire roasted tomatoes (canned)
salt
cumin
pepper
mexican oregano
chicken stick

Combine all but stock in blender. Process well. Strain into a sauce pan on med-high heat with some olive oil. reduce down until thicker

add in chicken stock simmer. taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

I am going to make a small batch of chicken enchiladas with this sauce tomorrow. I should have enough to freeze for later. Really, thinking beef enchiladas would be great with this. But that is another day.

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#41 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

I made the enchiladas tonight.

To soften to tortillas, i did the spray oil and in to the oven thing. But I must have over done them. After I filled, rolled and baked, they totally fell apart and were all mushy. They tasted good, but didn't hold up. This is usually the problem I have when I make enchiladas. What am I doing wrong? it was so bad, I didn't even want to take a picture.

I also notice that a lot of people here aren't baking their. If I simply dip in oil, then dip in sauce, how do I fill and roll without making a huge mess? Should I forgo baked enchiladas all together??

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#42 carp

carp
  • participating member
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:06 AM

To soften to tortillas, i did the spray oil and in to the oven thing.  But I must have over done them.  After I filled, rolled and baked, they totally fell apart and were all mushy.  They tasted good, but didn't hold up. This is usually the problem I have when I make enchiladas.  What am I doing wrong?  it was so bad, I didn't even want to take a picture.

I also notice that a lot of people here aren't baking their.  If I simply dip in oil, then dip in sauce, how do I fill and roll without making a huge mess?  Should I forgo baked enchiladas all together??

View Post

I've had good luck frying tortillas to a crisp using the CI method, but not much luck using it to get tortillas right for enchiladas. I tried and either the tortillas were not quite fried enough and they separated or fell apart or they were too stiff to roll. I have better luck using hot oil and frying the tortillas just long enough to soften them.

#43 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

To soften to tortillas, i did the spray oil and in to the oven thing.  But I must have over done them.  After I filled, rolled and baked, they totally fell apart and were all mushy.  They tasted good, but didn't hold up. This is usually the problem I have when I make enchiladas.  What am I doing wrong?  it was so bad, I didn't even want to take a picture.

I also notice that a lot of people here aren't baking their.  If I simply dip in oil, then dip in sauce, how do I fill and roll without making a huge mess?  Should I forgo baked enchiladas all together??

View Post

The thing about enchiladas that many folks don't get is that you should make them with all cooked ingredients that don't require additional baking. When I make a large number for dinner parties, I do bake them, but just so that enchiladas for, say, ten folks all arrive hot at the table at the same time, not because I want them to do any more cooking. If I'm preparing enchiladas for just a few guests, I don't bake them at all.

I don't know about the CI oven method, but for my chicken enchiladas with red sauce, which I do make for a lot of dinner parties and want them to all arrive hot at the table at the same time, I do stick them in the oven to heat up. Whether you roll the enchiladas or just fold them over and put them into your baking dish, you definitely are going to make a mess, but it's not a "huge mess" as you say.

What I do (as I said upthread) is to get my large shallow baking/serving pan and set it on the counter beside my stove. Then I have my skillet on the closest burner to the counter, the sauce simmering in a pan just behind it. I get a glass pie pan and put it on the counter directly in front of me. And I have the bowls with all the "fixin's" right there handy, too.

I ladle some sauce into the pie pan, and also smear some around on the bottom of my baking dish. Then I take the tongs and assemble my enchiladas, one at a time, thusly: Dip one tortilla into the skillet with the hot oil, let it sizzle a few seconds (say 4 or 5), then into the pie pan where, with my fingers, I smear the sauce around to be certain the tortilla is completely sauced. (Cooks more deft than I simply hang onto the tortilla with their tongs and dip it first into the hot oil and then into the saucepan. I can do it if I focus, but invariably at least one or two will soften too much and tear apart in the sauce. With the 'pie pan' method, I don't have to worry about it.) Then into the baking dish, where I add my filling, fold the sauced tortilla over it, and snuggle it up next to the side of the pan, or next to the previous enchilada. You can roll them if you'd like, and sometimes I do. I repeat these steps until the pan is filled. Then I ladle more sauce over. Sometimes I sprinkle with a little white cheese, or some onions, or whatever. If I'm doing this right at dinner time and I have my large and hungry family waiting, I'll go ahead and stick the dish into a hot oven for about 15 minutes just, as I say, to heat through while I finish preparing the rest of the meal. That's simply because it's easier for me to have the enchiladas all arrive at the table at the same time so I can sit down and eat, too, rather than standing over the stove making them for each individual person. It's not because the enchiladas actually require any more cooking. If I'm making them for a party, I'll often make them a day ahead, then cover the dish tightly with plastic and put it into the fridge to wait for serving time. Then into a hot oven for 20 minutes or so, just to heat through. There is no heavy gloppy sauce or anything else that requires extensive baking.

Yes, I've made something of a mess, but it's no worse than the mess from any multi-step cooking. My spaghetti sauce usually requires more cleanup than the enchiladas.

Edited by Jaymes, 23 April 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#44 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

This time, I think I'll go with tomatoes.  But maybe next time.  I also want to try to make enchiladas verde.  To do that, would I make a salsa verde with tomatillos, or some other way (fresh green chilis??)

You can go either way. I do love the tang of tomatillos.

But here's a quick and simple green chile sauce:

Green Chile Sauce

12 medium green chile peppers (of course, fresh are way best, but if you must....), peeled, seeded, deveined and chopped
2 medium tomatoes (or 1 cup canned tomatoes), chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 small garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
1 tsp salt

Roast chiles over gas burners, or on outdoor grill, or under broiler until blistered. Put into plastic baggies and allow steam to permeate. This makes the chiles easy to peel. Remove peel, core, seeds, and visible veins. (Edit: Should have added that if you are using canned green chiles, you don't have to take this step of roasting, peeling, etc.) Chop into half-inch pieces. Place into saucepan and add tomatoes, onion, salt and garlic. Pour in enough water just to cover and simmer ten minutes. (If you wish, in addition to roasting the chiles, you can roast or grill the tomatoes, onion and garlic to give the whole thing a more smoky flavor.)

#45 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

All of my ingredients were cooked. The chicken filling was a mixture of poached chicken breast (from when I made stock on Sunday), some of the sauce I made, and some cheese.

FWIW, Rick Bayless also suggested the oven method for softening. But he called for brushing oil on instead of spray oil, and also called for stacking them two high.

Maybe part of the problem I had was that it took a lot longer than 15 minutes to get everything hot. The sauce and chicken came straight from the fridge. By the time the oven heated and what not, they warmed up a bit, but were still cool. Maybe some of the components need to be pre heated?

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#46 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

FWIW, I never bake.
I have a small cast iron skillet of hot oil, just a bit larger than the tortillas, a small skillet of the gently simmering chile sauce and the warm ingredients at hand. Dip in oil, shake excess, dip in chile, plop on plate, add filling, roll and repeat. I wipe the tongs so the chile sauce doesn't splatter in the oil on the next go round. I normally do three per person and top off the dish with more hot sauce and some grated cheese and onions.
Twitter @RanchoGordo

#47 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

FWIW, I never bake.
I have a small cast iron skillet of hot oil, just a bit larger than the tortillas, a small skillet of the gently simmering chile sauce and the warm ingredients at hand. Dip in oil, shake excess, dip in chile, plop on plate, add filling, roll and repeat. I wipe the tongs so the chile sauce doesn't splatter in the oil on the next go round. I normally do three per person and top off the dish with more hot sauce and some grated cheese and onions.

View Post

I think this is the method I need to try next time I make enchiladas. Which could actually be soon. I still have sauce. And tortillas. And even some chicken.

If I get a good smooth workflow, this may actually be better than baking since it should yield a plate of food in less time. :)

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#48 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

FWIW, I never bake.

View Post

I think this is the method I need to try next time I make enchiladas. Which could actually be soon. I still have sauce. And tortillas. And even some chicken.

If I get a good smooth workflow, this may actually be better than baking since it should yield a plate of food in less time. :)

View Post

Yes. However, it doesn't work when enchiladas are your main course at dinner for ten. And up.

That'd be 30 enchiladas at minimum. And as much as I adore Ranchito, and Dios knows I do, I think even at his house, the frijoles would be cold by the time the last guest got his enchiladas.

I routinely had dinner parties for 10, 20, 30, and more. Way more. I suppose if you want to do enchiladas and didn't want to put them in the oven, you could do them as an appetizer rather than the main. But that's still a lot of time-consuming enchiladas to be standing there frying while your guests are out on the back patio sucking down the margaritas and having a good time.

#49 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

Jaymes: are you able to get good texture for your tortillas as those massive dinner parties? It seems to me that rancho_gordo is right, that if you want to have some bite to the tortillas you have to sauce and serve quickly, with no baking step.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#50 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

FWIW, I never bake.

View Post

View Post

Yes. However, it doesn't work when enchiladas are your main course at dinner for ten. And up.

That'd be 30 enchiladas at minimum. And as much as I adore Ranchito, and Dios knows I do, I think even at his house, the frijoles would be cold by the time the last guest got his enchiladas.

I routinely had dinner parties for 10, 20, 30, and more. Way more. I suppose if you want to do enchiladas and didn't want to put them in the oven, you could do them as an appetizer rather than the main. But that's still a lot of time-consuming enchiladas to be standing there frying while your guests are out on the back patio sucking down the margaritas and having a good time.

View Post

fortunately (or maybe unfortunately??) I am usually cooking for one.

Still, I'm sure there are ways to get some "bite" to the tortilla in a baked enchilada. I've actually pulled it off my self in the past. I think the amount of oil and time in the oven is pretty critical. Also, the brand of tortilla could make a difference. And as suggested by others above, the freshness probably matters (fresher actually makes it harder )

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#51 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

Jaymes: are you able to get good texture for your tortillas as those massive dinner parties? It seems to me that rancho_gordo is right, that if you want to have some bite to the tortillas you have to sauce and serve quickly, with no baking step.

View Post

The texture is not as perfect as right out of the pan, but it is still very good.

Honestly, if they didn't turn out well, I wouldn't serve them to dozens of guests, you know? I have a lot of serving platters and glasses and dishes and centerpiece items and other bric-a-brac for Mexican-themed dinner parties, so I do that a lot and I think they're pretty good. I get lots of compliments and there are never any left. I do try to buy best-quality and freshest tortillas. The only time I have trouble is when I get kinda lazy and fry them too long in the oil. They get tough. But I've never had them fall apart in the baking pan. And there's just no other way that I've found to serve enchiladas as the main course at a large dinner party.

However, like I said, I'm really talking about simply reheating them for ease of serving, not doing any lengthy cooking.

Edited by Jaymes, 23 April 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#52 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Yes.  However, it doesn't work when enchiladas are your main course at dinner for ten.  And up.

That'd be 30 enchiladas at minimum.  And as much as I adore Ranchito, and Dios knows I do, I think even at his house, the frijoles would be cold by the time the last guest got his enchiladas.

I routinely had dinner parties for 10, 20, 30, and more.  Way more. I suppose if you want to do enchiladas and didn't want to put them in the oven, you could do them as an appetizer rather than the main.  But that's still a lot of time-consuming enchiladas to be standing there frying while your guests are out on the back patio sucking down the margaritas and having a good time.

View Post

I'll be honest, I don't think if I were having a dinner party for 10, enchiladas would probably be the last thing I'd make. I actually don't like cooking for over 8, but that's another story. If I were cooking for a crowd, I'd make a mole or some fabulous guisado thing or even tacos.

But for myself or two to four people? As I think jmeeker suggested, once you get the rhythm down, it's a breeze. You can have the beans in your favorite clay pot, keeping warm for hours and a pre-made salad you dress at the table and then there's just the enchiladas. I tend to go left to right. Left burner oil, right burner sauce, counter with plates and to the right of that fillings on a bread board. .

And again , not too much filling. The star is the chile sauce, followed by the tortillas.
After cooking, I keep the oil in a beer bottle stopped with a cork and refrigerate it until the next session. Bits of sauce go into the chicken broth for a good soup.

Sorry- I feel like I'm talking too much. There's no right or wrong but these are my tricks.
Twitter @RanchoGordo

#53 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Yes.  However, it doesn't work when enchiladas are your main course at dinner for ten.  And up.

That'd be 30 enchiladas at minimum.  And as much as I adore Ranchito, and Dios knows I do, I think even at his house, the frijoles would be cold by the time the last guest got his enchiladas.

I routinely had dinner parties for 10, 20, 30, and more.  Way more. I suppose if you want to do enchiladas and didn't want to put them in the oven, you could do them as an appetizer rather than the main.  But that's still a lot of time-consuming enchiladas to be standing there frying while your guests are out on the back patio sucking down the margaritas and having a good time.

View Post

I'll be honest, I don't think if I were having a dinner party for 10, enchiladas would probably be the last thing I'd make. I actually don't like cooking for over 8, but that's another story. If I were cooking for a crowd, I'd make a mole or some fabulous guisado thing or even tacos.

But for myself or two to four people? As I think jmeeker suggested, once you get the rhythm down, it's a breeze. You can have the beans in your favorite clay pot, keeping warm for hours and a pre-made salad you dress at the table and then there's just the enchiladas. I tend to go left to right. Left burner oil, right burner sauce, counter with plates and to the right of that fillings on a bread board. .

And again , not too much filling. The star is the chile sauce, followed by the tortillas.
After cooking, I keep the oil in a beer bottle stopped with a cork and refrigerate it until the next session. Bits of sauce go into the chicken broth for a good soup.

Sorry- I feel like I'm talking too much. There's no right or wrong but these are my tricks.

View Post

Talking too much? Are you kidding? Never. You are kind and generous to share your techniques, your "tricks." Eating your enchiladas with your wonderful and fresh tortillas and sauces in your kitchen simply cannot be beaten.

The main difference between the way you do it and the way I do it is volume. Yours is much better, my friend. Having dinner parties, primarily work-related, of anywhere from 12-100 people several times a month was no picnic.

(Except that sometimes it was. One of my 'entertaining-a-large-crowd-in-an-average-sized home' tricks was, during the summer months, pack picnic baskets for groups of 6-8 complete with glasses and a bottle of wine, divide up the guests, give each group a basket and a blanket and send them out into to the back yard.)

Not only is your food and the atmosphere in which you serve it absolutely sublime, it is a lot more relevant to the way most folks live, eat and entertain.

So talk away! Please!

Edited by Jaymes, 24 April 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#54 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

I made "no bake" chicken enchiladas for the first time, and I'm a fan. I never realized how much the texture of the tortillas was diminished by baking in sauce.

I used a recipe for sauce from Rick Bayless, but his method for the enchiladas seemed very strange to me. He called for dipping the tortillas in the sauce first, then frying them in oil. That seemed messy and a little dangerous, so I went with the usual oil then sauce ritual. One thing I did find useful from his instructions, though, was to use a small slotted spatula to transfer the tortillas from oil to sauce to plate, rather than tongs. It seemed like however careful I was with tongs, I always seemed to tear about one out of three tortillas. This is much easier and effective.

Once I assembled the enchiladas, I did put them into a warm oven for a few minutes while I finished a few details for the rest of the dinner. Didn't seem to harm the enchiladas, but then I'm no expert.

#55 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

And I decided to make up a batch of rolled frontera border-style enchiladas just to test the 'freshness' thing. Went to my local tortillaria and got a couple dozen tortillas right off of the assembly line. They were still warm when I got home, so I can't imagine how I'd get any fresher. Did make up some chicken enchiladas in red sauce following a recipe I got years ago from a norteña friend, born and raised on a ranch in northern Mexico.

I had no trouble at all handling the fresh tortillas. Although I usually just fold, for purposes of this experiment, I did roll them, and they rolled beautifully. The final dish was absolutely wonderful.

So I am officially debunking the 'you've got to use old tortillas' thing. Fresh tortillas roll fine.

#56 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

JAZ wrote:

I used a recipe for sauce from Rick Bayless, but his method for the enchiladas seemed very strange to me. He called for dipping the tortillas in the sauce first, then frying them in oil. That seemed messy and a little dangerous, so I went with the usual oil then sauce ritual. One thing I did find useful from his instructions, though, was to use a small slotted spatula to transfer the tortillas from oil to sauce to plate, rather than tongs. It seemed like however careful I was with tongs, I always seemed to tear about one out of three tortillas. This is much easier and effective.

I normally use those scissor-style tongs and don't have much trouble, unless the tortillas are funky.
I think you did the right thing with the oil first. I'm not an enchilada expert but I don't know where that comes from.

Jaymes wrote:

So I am officially debunking the 'you've got to use old tortillas' thing. Fresh tortillas roll fine.

But I wonder if they soaked up a lot more oil. That's been the reason for older ones, I think. And the 'tooth' would have to be different. Not better or worse, but different.
Twitter @RanchoGordo

#57 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

Try the dipping in sauce then oil thing sometime: it's messy, yes, but the product is quite different from going the other way, and I like them a lot. Not necessarily more than oil then sauce, but as much, I think. I don't usually try to fill that kind, though, I just fold them and put some toppings on top (I like thinly sliced white onions and a cotija (spelling?) cheese).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#58 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

Jaymes wrote:

But I wonder if they soaked up a lot more oil. That's been the reason for older ones, I think. And the 'tooth' would have to be different. Not better or worse, but different.

View Post

I don't know if they soaked up more oil. Probably. And you're right that the 'tooth' was different. Much more tender.

They were really good.

The main thing, though, was that they were very easy to work with. Upthread somebody mentioned that they had a hard time rolling or folding fresh tortillas without them breaking. That didn't happen at all.

#59 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

Jaymes wrote:

View Post

I don't know if they soaked up more oil. Probably. And you're right that the 'tooth' was different. Much more tender.

They were really good.

The main thing, though, was that they were very easy to work with. Upthread somebody mentioned that they had a hard time rolling or folding fresh tortillas without them breaking. That didn't happen at all.

View Post

In my original cook-off posts I did mention that I had difficulty rolling fresh tortillas-due in part to my ignorance of how to actually prepare tortillas. It wasn't until I prepared for this enchiladas cook-off that I realized my mistake. In the past I rolled the tortillas "dry" and then sauced them. I had no clue the tortillas should be softened first.

So while it's messy and takes some last minute theatrics in the kitchen, now I dip in warm oil, dip in sauce, fill, roll and sauce again-all in just a few minutes. I've used both fresh tortillas and tortillas that I had in the freezer for months. The freshness of the tortillas didn't seem to matter as much as the dipping method I used.

And while I'm now a fan of the above method, I still get that craving for a more "Americanized" version of an enchiladas-after the dip and roll, I'll sprinkle on some shredded cheese out of a plastic bag and run the enchiladas under the broiler. I guess old tastes die hard.

#60 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,349 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

And while I'm now a fan of the above method, I still get that craving for a more "Americanized" version of an enchiladas-after the dip and roll, I'll sprinkle on some shredded cheese out of a plastic bag and run the enchiladas under the broiler.  I guess old tastes die hard.

Hey...not to worry. In Texas, we call that "comfort food."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff, Mexican