Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pierre Hermé's "Macarons"

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#31 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:54 AM

I want it but, since it's not likely to show up in English, I probably won't get it. Translating is a pain in the butt, I did quite a bit of it with Los Postres de El Bulli and don't like the thought of doing it again. I don't do macs often anyway, I'd mainly buy it to be inspired by his creations.

View Post

Tri2Cook, translating Macaron is a *much* easier task than Los Postres. Macaron is pretty light (all being relative) and there's a lot of visual support.
-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham
The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine
Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

#32 tan319

tan319
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Well, I can kinda understand. They don't usually translate most english cookbooks into french/spanish/etc. either... which may suck for some people that don't read english. Would be nice to have it though.

View Post

Yes, I agree with lamington, the 'mac book is much easier to translate and once you understand the basics it's all there.
"Los Postres..." was much harder because in most (all?) free online translators Catalan Spanish isn't really supported.
For me, the flavor profiles and layout in "Macaron" impressed me so much that "PH10" kind of let me down.

edited to add...
PH's e-gourmandises side of his online presence still has "Macaron", at 29.90 euro to boot!

Edited by tan319, 05 April 2009 - 02:04 PM.

2317/5000

#33 CKatCook

CKatCook
  • participating member
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

Dumb question time~

I never ordered anything from another country (I live in the US) I would love to order this book and have no problems working to get a translation. How would you order this book, being from the US, would I just pay in dollars what the exchange rate would be? Would they charge my credit card the amount in dollars, taking care of the exchange rate difference themselves?

Thanks!
"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"
-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

#34 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

You would just use your card and they will get it approved for the exchange amount.
No different then ordering from Amazon,
Good Luck!
2317/5000

#35 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:49 PM

Looks like I waffled over this one for too long. I finally decided I want it and now I can't find it anywhere.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#36 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

Looks like I waffled over this one for too long. I finally decided I want it and now I can't find it anywhere.

View Post

If you know someone in France - there is a used copy on Amazon.fr - quite reasonable - but they will only ship to an address in France.

#37 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Kerry but I don't know anybody in France... unless Quebec counts. :raz: :biggrin:
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#38 jumanggy

jumanggy
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

View Post

Hey!! I just headed over to Amazon.ca and it's still there! (I hope they update their stock indicators, though.)
Mark
The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)
No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

#39 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

View Post

Hey!! I just headed over to Amazon.ca and it's still there! (I hope they update their stock indicators, though.)

View Post

Don't think it's in stock though.

#40 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

It sucks the way people start ramping up prices as soon as somethings looks like it's going out of print.
FWIW, I still think a soft cover version might show up.
This has been an immensely popular book.
I wonder if that used 28e one on Amazon.fr could be picked up if you ordered the pickup from Chronopost yourself?It looks like Fnac has a copy or more for 28e
2317/5000

#41 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

It sucks the way people start ramping up prices as soon as somethings looks like it's going out of print.
I wonder if that used 28e one on Amazon.fr could be picked up if you ordered the pickup from Chronopost yourself?It looks like Fnac has a copy or more for 28e

View Post

I don't speak enough french to order from FNAC.

#42 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

I can get a copy for you in Japanese if you want. . .

#43 jumanggy

jumanggy
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

If you're still in a bind and you really want it, try calling Kitchen arts and Letters in New York and see if they still have stock (last I checked was March, and they did).
Mark
The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)
No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

#44 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

I can get a copy for you in Japanese if you want. . .

View Post

Thank you for the offer but I'll have a tough enough time with French (which is the main reason it took me so long to decide to get it), I wouldn't stand a chance with Japanese.

Jumanggy: I'll look into that, thanks!

#45 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

View Post

I don't speak enough french to order from FNAC.

View Post

FNAC should (?) have a page available to order in English.
Amazon.fr does.
The Kitchen Arts and Letters idea sounds best though.
2317/5000

#46 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

As the FNAC site lists the title as taking 4-8 days to despatch, I would assume they don't keep it in stock and just order it from a distributor. As the book appears to be out of print, it is very unlikely they would be able to obtain a copy for you.

I'm in Paris right now and haven't seen the book anywhere. The fact that PH's own website doesn't list the book for sale also indicates that it's probably a lost cause except where a shop has old stock.
-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham
The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine
Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

#47 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

The book is back on the Pierre Hereme website. I tried ordering it today - we'll see what happens.

#48 MaxH

MaxH
  • participating member
  • 986 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

Can't read a word of French ...

View Post

Just to endorse the voices here that touched on the point, many French cookbooks are highly accessible to English-readers for the same reason cookbooks of other languages are accessible: recipes use limited vocabularies. Also, anyone who speaks English already has some French vocabulary anyway, consciously or not (it was one of the major feeder languages into modern English) -- you can progress fast with the aid of a dictionary, and if you actually use the cookbook, new vocabulary tends to "stick" and stay with you.

I don't have this book, but found the point above to be true with many others I have in French, a language I otherwise know very little, as well as for other languages. The obstacle of cookbook language difference is smaller than it may seem if you haven't tried it.

By the way, I think macarons are popular around the San Francisco area, people post about them on food blogs and shops feature them. (Until reading this thread I didn't realize they were considered a rare or lost art.)

#49 cakemuse

cakemuse
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

They wrote me after I inquired. Here is the link:

http://www.pierreher...194316ph1502853

Unfortunately, no shipping to North America - they hope to change this. Not available at amazon.com or amazon.ca either.

I'm having a friend in London pick it up and mail the book to me.

I also asked about the PH10 book but they currently have no plans to reprint it.

Cheers!
"But you have no chocolate? My dear, how will you ever manage?"
-- Marquise d Sévigné

"If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, hired a band, goodness sake..."

#50 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

PH10 is out of print already???
'Mac is a fantastic book, hope you enjoy it!
2317/5000

#51 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

They had a couple of copies of PH10 in the Rue Bonaparte store when I was there a few weeks ago - if you have a friend in Paris they might be able to pick it up.

I'm hanging out for my copy of Macaron to be forwarded on by a friend in Ireland who is taking delivery for me

#52 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:52 AM

Can't find it in the UK. Books for Cooks in Notting Hill says there will be a re-print.
Amazon.ca says it will be out November 2010.
“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

#53 fooey

fooey
  • participating member
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Someone will pirate it (as a scanned Adobe PDF document) and post it on the interwebs.

I can't say "Someone will hopefully..." can I? :unsure:
Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography
Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

#54 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:00 PM

My copy of Macaron just arrived. It was 5 weeks late from Ireland (where a friend was receiving/forwarding it for me) and I was beginning to give up hope. Time to make Google Translate my homepage!!

#55 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

Library - 10977.jpg

Ishpahan

Got my copy from a bookseller who had no copies when I called - but happened to see one when she was in France. She e-mailed and asked if I wanted it - didn't have to ask me twice!

#56 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:26 AM

Salted butter caramel (at least I think that's the translation of Macaron Caramel Au Beurre Sale)

Posted Image

#57 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

I bought mine yesterday off of Amazon France, from a 'other' seller and paid 29.90 €, plus 10.40 € shipping.
Total with exchange rate about $60. Amazon itself is out of stock but if you click other sellers, the entity I bought it from still has them in stock.

MACARON

AND the shipping should be a bit cheaper to almost all of you then it was to me in Hawaii'

Now all I need is a translator. :blink:

Edited by Aloha Steve, 14 September 2009 - 06:27 PM.

[size="1"] edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)[/size]

[size="3"]"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill[/size]
[size="4"]Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb[/size]

#58 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Posted Image

Sacrilege I'm sure - but I made these lemon macarons (using PH Lemon Cream as the filling) using 'Simply Whites' instead of separating all those eggs.

I made a half batch so to 55 grams of egg whites in my 6 quart mixer didn't really get nicely up to soft peaks before I added the sugar syrup. I never got the nice birds beak with the Italian meringue, and the batter was easily mixed to the magma like texture. It didn't make quite as many halves as I expected, but the finished macarons turned out well, no air spaces, nice texture, came easily off the parchment.

#59 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:57 AM

I had a go at the Menthe Fraiche tonight. Not sure what "Pipermint Get" was and couldn't get a translation on Google Translate. In the end I cold infused the mint for 24 hours and then chopped it up into the mixture after it had been boiled and combined into a ganache. Very minty and fresh tasting

Posted Image

#60 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:17 AM

Those are looking great!
"Get" is a French type of creme de menthe I believe...
2317/5000

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook