Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

[Austin] Report: Chinese New Year dinner

Report Chinese

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

We only had four people this time: franktex, future eGullet member Anthony, my girlfriend, and me. We still managed to order nearly everything we've gotten in the past.

Posted Image
Pork intestine. Proper high-heat stir-fry with a bit of a crispy crust on the intestines and rich, smoky flavor from the peppers. This treatment of intestines doesn't leave them as chewy, which is more palatable for Westerners.

Overall, one of the best intestine dishes I've ever had.

Posted Image
Seafood dumplings. OK. Filling overcooked, packed too tightly. Not as good as Zhong dumplings at Asia Cafe.

Posted Image
Pork stomach and pickled vegetable soup. Very simple. The pickled vegetable was quite sour and an interesting thing to have in a soup.

Posted Image
Lion's head. Very soft, with a few very small pieces of water chestnut.

Posted Image
Whole sea cucumber. Very tender. Best sea cucumber I've had in America.

Posted Image
Quail. We forgot to take a picture, so this photo is from last year. This year it was only four pieces, but there was a nice tray of sea salt for dipping the quail into.

Posted Image
Braised ham hock. Sauce with rock candy. Appeals to my Shanghai tastes. Better than last year.

Posted Image
Eight treasure rice cake. Very wet, even more so than previous years. Otherwise, pretty good.

Overall, the food is the best I've ever had from Pao's and one of the best Chinese meals I've had in America, and not far at all from what you can get in China.

I hope to organize more events this year, the next one in March.

Higher res photos in my Flickr.
Pao's Mandarin House review on Fearless Critic partially written by me.
Reports from 2008, 2007.

#2 Sqwertz

Sqwertz
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

We only had four people this time: franktex, future eGullet member Anthony, my girlfriend, and me. We still managed to order nearly everything we've gotten in the past.

I haven't been reading the forum very often, but when I heard you wanted a limit of 8 I figured I'd have to sit it out. Otherwise I would have shown up. I'm a pretty hard-core Asian foodie, and I think Frank could have vouched for me in the that respect :-)
Sorry I missed it. Next year....

-sw

#3 jess mebane

jess mebane
  • participating member
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

I haven't been reading the forum very often, but when I heard you wanted a limit of 8 I figured I'd have to sit it out. Otherwise I would have shown up. I'm a pretty hard-core Asian foodie, and I think Frank could have vouched for me in the that respect :-)
Sorry I missed it. Next year....

-sw

View Post

yo tambien....moved to the little creamery in Texas, but I'da made it my biz to be there otherwise!!!

#4 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

I forgot to add that we raised $20 for eGullet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Report, Chinese