Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

SEA: where to buy fish for sushi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LOS

LOS
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

"Just ahi" may be a slight exaggeration, but I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 or maybe 4 different kinds of sushi fish available at any of the markets. Maybe it's just that they're all being paranoid, but even the good asian fish markets always say "not for raw" about most of their fish. So what's the secret source? In Minneapolis, I could go to the restaurant supplier.
--- Lee

Seattle

#2 SusieQ

SusieQ
  • participating member
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

You might try Mutual Fish, 2335 Rainier Ave. S. That's where all the sushi chefs go.
SusieQ

"Just ahi" may be a slight exaggeration, but I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 or maybe 4 different kinds of sushi fish available at any of the markets.  Maybe it's just that they're all being paranoid, but even the good asian fish markets always say "not for raw" about most of their fish.  So what's the secret source?  In Minneapolis, I could go to the restaurant supplier.

View Post

#3 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

Mutual is the best bet, but:
Also University Seafood & Poultry.
Maybe, Pure Food in the Market, Seattle Fish Company in West Seattle, and The Fresh Fish Company in Ballard (now on 80th?)

#4 LOS

LOS
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

You might try Mutual Fish, 2335 Rainier Ave. S. That's where all the sushi chefs go.
SusieQ

View Post

The chefs must have some kind of backroom access, where they can see the larger pieces before it gets cut down for the retail counter, I'm thinking. Or maybe I'm just misremembering the size of the pieces behind the counter.
--- Lee

Seattle

#5 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

Have you tried Uwajimaya?

#6 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

View Post

Good to know!

#7 LOS

LOS
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

Have you tried Uwajimaya?

View Post

They reliably have about 3 sushi-grade fishes. Usually Ahi, Yellowtail, and one other (often Amberjack).
--- Lee

Seattle

#8 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

and Maruta Shoten in Georgetown? They have very inexpensive pre-made sushi and sashimi, but also sell nice large hunks of sashimi fish. I don't know how it ranks for quality or variety, but eating there regularly for a year was great.