Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chinese wind dried duck?

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Balic

Adam Balic
  • participating member
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 08:41 AM

In my local Chinese supermarket I have noticed cyrovac bags of "Wind dried Duck" legs. What is it, how is it made and can I use it instead of confit duck legs?

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid
  • legacy participant
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 08:44 AM

Same as wind dried sausage, only it's duck. It has that sweet, slightly alcoholic tang to it that the Chinese sausages do, so I'm not sure where you'd substitute it for confit. I would cleaver it up and drop it in a congee, or just serve it over rice. It's going to be a little chewy. If you see the wind dried pig faces, consider buying them to use as Hallowe'en masks.

#3 Adam Balic

Adam Balic
  • participating member
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:09 AM

Could you make a type of Chinese Cassoulet with the sausage and the duck or would it be to sweet? You understand that I am only trying to impove the cuisine.

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid
  • legacy participant
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:33 AM

I am surprised the Chinese haven't refined their wind-dried items and taken them to a higher level. For example, by pureeing them into a very soft paste.

I think a mixture of the sausages and duck chopped over rice is a very good thing. The meats don't need any further cooking, you understand.

#5 Liza

Liza
  • legacy participant
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:45 AM

Wind-dried? Honest? I could have sworn it was just a slight breeze.

#6 Adam Balic

Adam Balic
  • participating member
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:51 AM

I am surprised the Chinese haven't refined their wind-dried items and taken them to a higher level.  For example, by pureeing them into a very soft paste.

I think a mixture of the sausages and duck chopped over rice is a very good thing.  The meats don't need any further cooking, you understand.

Wilfrid - The sausage I dig. I mostly steam it then gently fry it to crisp up the skin (I like the carmelisation flavour), slice on the bias and add to rice/curry/stir fry/noodles etc.

With the duck I will steam it in the bag, to warm it through.

Congee is the most refined of rice dishes.

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid
  • legacy participant
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 10:30 AM

And I like the way the Scots took oatmeal and refined and evolved it until they got porridge.

#8 tissue

tissue
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 11:06 AM

There is a Cantonese dish that involves sausage & gai lan steamed on top of rice in a claypot. The juice/oil from the sausages drip down into the rice, giving it a nice flavor. The sausages and veggies are removed right before serving, plated separately. Soy sauce is then drizzled onto the rice. Some people don't even eat the sausages at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese