Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Southern New Year's Menu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tela T

Tela T
  • participating member
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

I have my SIL and her family coming to visit for the holidays from Northern California - and I'd like to cook a traditional Southern new year's meal. We're doing a goose for Christmas to satisfy my husband - but me, being southern, I've got to show my roots.... Does anyone have good recipes for hoppin' john - or a reference - or suggestions? I'm thinking that definitely greens (collards), black-eye peas, ham, and maybe the hoppin' john - otherwise - brunswick stew (that I'd love to see recipes for that -- or again references as my Southern cookbook library is pretty good), biscuits and pecan pie for dessert... It would also be interesting to see what y'all are cooking too - the pea post is great....!

Thanks!
Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

#2 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

I have my SIL and her family coming to visit for the holidays from Northern California - and I'd like to cook a traditional Southern new year's meal.  We're doing a goose for Christmas to satisfy my husband - but me, being southern, I've got to show my roots....  Does anyone have good recipes for hoppin' john - or a reference - or suggestions?  I'm thinking that definitely greens (collards), black-eye peas, ham, and maybe the hoppin' john - otherwise - brunswick stew (that I'd love to see recipes for that -- or again references as my Southern cookbook library is pretty good), biscuits and pecan pie for dessert...  It would also be interesting to see what y'all are cooking too - the pea post is great....!

Thanks!

View Post

Tela - I'm so sorry that I didn't notice your post earlier!! I love the idea of hosting a nice relaxing NY day meal. I hope yours went great and that you have a happy and healthy 2009! For the future, I don't have a recipe for hoppin' john, but I have a great one for brunswick stew, though it's more a set of directions than an actual recipe :wink: . It's one of our favorites. My new years day dinner is here.
I have a niece named Tela - is that your real name or just your eG moniker? Her's is pronounced more like 'tee-la'.
Happy New Year!

#3 Lan4Dawg

Lan4Dawg
  • participating member
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

I asked Fuss about her receipt for "hoppin' john" and she said, "You add enough black eyed peas, ham, stock & rice until it looks right and then enough salt, pepper, & hot sauce until it tastes right". That, btw, is a direct quote.

Sorry to chime in so late w/ what little assistance I offer and I hope your NYD menu was a success.
in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--
the best cat ever.