Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Perfect Martini

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#121 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

Bluecoat is wonderful stuff with a more than passing similarity to the flavor profile of Tanqueray Malacca (to my palate anyway). That said, I've never tried it in a martini...yet.
Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
- Bogart

#122 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Here's an interesting article on martinis from the San Francisco Chronicle: Martinis -- It's all about technique

The gin martini is about the courtship between two complex ingredients. That deceptive minimalism makes it a triumph of technique. So we convened one afternoon at the bar at San Francisco's Fifth Floor, where [Jacques] Bezuidenhout consults, with a long line of gins and vermouths. For wisdom and stirring help we invited three other San Francisco bar wizards: Marcovaldo Dionysos, who established the cocktail program at Clock Bar on Union Square; Eric Johnson of Delarosa in the Marina and the forthcoming Bar Agricole; and Ryan Fitzgerald from Beretta in the Mission District.

The bar top was crowded with gin and vermouth, a thermometer, a stopwatch, a cooler of chilled glasses and an afternoon to kill.

"This is the revenge of the martini nerds," Bezuidenhout said.

The variables to be found in a simple martini soon become unwieldy. It's a fine task to match up gins and vermouths - and one we undertook with solemnity and sacrifice. In a few short hours I witnessed an English novelist's worth of gin poured down the drain.

#123 alm

alm
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

I usually have my Martini's 'naked', but when using Hendricks the cucumber really works well, saying that i just float it on the top of the drink - it doesn't get muddled or shaken in with it.

I have even tried a GnT with Hendricks and used the cucumber in place of the lime/lemon - again it works a treat.

Edited by alm, 08 December 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#124 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

I read the article and, suitably inspired, constructed Martinis according to the author's recommendations (5:1 gin:vermouth, stirred, not shaken) last night. Verdict: very good.

We now have a good incentive to try some different vermouths (we tend to get the extra-dry Martini [brand] because it's there, but I know there are others available at my favourite shops).

I happened to have some El Bulli-style spherified olives lying around and dropped one in each glass. Now THAT was a taste at the end, once they'd been soaking up the drink for a while!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#125 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

Personally I find 5:1 too lean for my tastes. I'm most likely to have mine 1:1, or 3:1 at the most.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#126 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

Personally I find 5:1 too lean for my tastes. I'm most likely to have mine 1:1, or 3:1 at the most.

I have always felt the same way and considered it a personal failing - I love gin cocktails, but am not particularly interested in drinking straight gin.

#127 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

Best part about 1:1 Martinis is the ability to have several of them, without any danger of becoming involved with either the table or the host. And with some fresh Dolin or 'Heirloom' N-P it tastes pretty damn good too.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#128 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

I've even been known to partake of the occasional "reverse" Martini at around 1:2.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#129 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:21 PM

I've even been known to partake of the occasional "reverse" Martini at around 1:2.

Agreed that's a fine drink though if the vermouth in question is that fresh and that good I'm more likely to go the Bamboo route or maybe even just on the rocks with a twist. I drank a frightful amount of vermouth on the rocks this last summer, and didn't regret it one bit.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#130 spaetzle_maker

spaetzle_maker
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

Agreed that's a fine drink though if the vermouth in question is that fresh and that good I'm more likely to go the Bamboo route or maybe even just on the rocks with a twist. I drank a frightful amount of vermouth on the rocks this last summer, and didn't regret it one bit.

I've always liked a 1:1 ratio in my martini, but worried it meant I was unsophisticated :)

I'll have to try a 1:2 ratio but I am wondering what the "Bamboo route" is?

#131 Alcuin

Alcuin
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

I'm a big fan of the 1:1, but with the new NP I'm liking 2:1 better with most gins. The Bamboo is a great aperitif drink--it's not too high powered and oh so dry:

1 1/2oz dry vermouth
1 1/2 sherry (I use a Fino)
2 dashes orange bitters (I like Regan's for this one)
2 drops Angostura
stir, strain, up
lemon twist (or twist lemon, discard and add a good olive)
nunc est bibendum...

#132 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:54 PM

I'm a big fan of the 1:1, but with the new NP I'm liking 2:1 better with most gins. The Bamboo is a great aperitif drink--it's not too high powered and oh so dry:

1 1/2oz dry vermouth
1 1/2 sherry (I use a Fino)
2 dashes orange bitters (I like Regan's for this one)
2 drops Angostura
stir, strain, up
lemon twist (or twist lemon, discard and add a good olive)

What he said, though I'm partial to this kind of thing on the rocks. No olives for me.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#133 Alcuin

Alcuin
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

I never thought of trying it on the rocks--I'll have to give it a shot. I'd say 4 out of 5 times I skip the olive, but sometimes it hits the spot for me. Then again, I also don't keep olives around the house unless I'm cooking with them (I don't like them at all in my Martini) so its rare I've even got one to use.
nunc est bibendum...

#134 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

I think I've mentioned before that I often turn to a reverse Martini as the perfect thing before dinner if I want more than an ordinary glass of wine but something not as strong as a full-on Martini on an empty stomach. If the vermouth is good, it can be a surprisingly enjoyable drink.
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#135 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Continuing with an Ivy League theme, here is the Yale cocktail, a dry Martini with a touch of Maraschino liqueur (an "improved" martini?).

Posted Image

Same ingredients as the Martinez from the Savoy Cocktail Book which uses dry vermouth, although the more commonly accepted version uses sweet. Add an absinthe rinse and you get a Tuxedo No. 2 or Turf Cocktail.

#136 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

For the first time I drank a couple Vespers last Friday per the stated recipe. Whew. Quite good but smooth and sneaky.

#137 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

For the first time I drank a couple Vespers last Friday per the stated recipe. Whew. Quite good but smooth and sneaky.

I started writing here but ended up responding in the Vesper thread.

#138 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Here is the Tuxedo No. 2, a very nice martini variation.
2 oz gin, 3/4 oz dry vermouth, 1/4 oz maraschino liqueur, 2 dashes orange bitters, absinthe rinse (I used pastis), lemon twist.

Posted Image

Lots of pleasant herbal notes from the dry vermouth and the absinthe. There is just enough absinthe/pastis to add a little something intriguing without overpowering the cocktail (I use a little spray bottle).
I think the new (original) formula Noilly Prat works great in that drink.

#139 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

For myself, when I order a "MARTINI" without any additional descriptive words I expect one made with GIN and garnished w/ an olive. Whether the proportions (w/ the vermouth, etc) are "perfect" or not doesn't matter *that* much to me. I get annoyed if the bartender or wait person then asks me if I want gin or vodka or a lemon twist. Sigh. If I wanted vodka I would have asked for a "Vodka Martini" and if I wanted a lemon twist etc I would have said so. Am I the only one who feels this way?

(It's OK to ask me which gin I would like)

Edited by huiray, 23 December 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#140 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

Tuxedo No. 1 last night, a 2:1 martini with a rinse of absinthe. Sipsmith London dry gin, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, St. George absinthe. Very floral especially at first, mostly from the absinthe. The botanicals from the gin come through after a few sips.

12981736974_a834c04313_z.jpg

#141 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Simon Difford's Surf and Turf Cocktail, a variation on the Turf Club (aka Tuxedo No. 2) with Old Tom gin (Tanqueray), dry vermouth (Dolin), fino sherry (Lustau Jarana), curaçao (Pierre Ferrand dry), Angostura bitters, lemon twist. Slightly briny and completely lovely.

15056356927_e42b6b631a_z.jpg