Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Paillete Feuilletine

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Scout_21

Scout_21
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

Anyone happen to have a recipe and technique for making these tasty crunchy bits at home?

#2 jfield

jfield
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Use corn flakes. Honest. You could also probably find a recipe for sugar cones and spread the batter really, really thin and cook them like crepes, cool and crush them. Corn flakes work pretty well, though:-)
Jenni
Pastry Methods and Techniques
Pastry Chef Online
"We're all home cooks when we're cooking at home."

#3 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

Corn flakes taste like corn flakes. Nothing wrong with that, but compared to feuilletine, they are very hard and coarse.

To the best of my knowledge, feulittine is made like a crepe batter.

The closest thing I can find to imitating it is "love letters". These are a pretty common Chinese snack/cookie. They are very thin, brittle crepe rolled up like "cigarettes" and invariably come in a tin. Meh, they're worth a shot.....

#4 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

and honestly, there's good feuilletine and bad feuilletine. i really like the barry/callebaut product and find other products to be inferior (coarser, not as nice tasting).

yeah, i wouldn't use corn flakes as a substitute...too different.

edited to add: if i wanted to find something tasty to use as a substitute and it didn't have to be exactly the same texture/flavor, i'd use caramelized rice crispies before i'd use cornflakes.

Edited by alanamoana, 28 October 2008 - 08:27 PM.

#5 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

Over on the French Cuisine website boards (scroll down to the last post) someone posted this recipe:

48 oz Corn Flakes

18 oz Milk Chocolate

14 oz Praline Paste

S/He used it in the Culinary World Cup competition, so it must not be too far off from the real thing.

#6 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

Over on the French Cuisine website boards (scroll down to the last post) someone posted this recipe:

48 oz Corn Flakes

18 oz Milk Chocolate

14 oz Praline Paste

S/He used it in the Culinary World Cup competition, so it must not be too far off from the real thing.

View Post

Although the recipe you've listed may be tasty, Alana's right: Corn flakes are really different from feuilletine.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#7 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:28 AM

Cocoa Barry's website describes them as "flakes of Brittany Lace Crepes".
So find a Brittany Lace Crepe recipe and you're good to go.

I'm not entirely familiar with said Paillete Feuilletine. What is the application, mostly?

#8 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

I'm not entirely familiar with said Paillete Feuilletine. What is the application, mostly?

View Post

You can add it to chocolate or gianduja to give a nice crunchy textural element, plus it can add a bit of sweetness.

Edited by John DePaula, 29 October 2008 - 03:52 PM.

John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#9 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

View Post

And it tends to stay crispy once in a centre (rather than go soggy)

#10 chiantiglace

chiantiglace
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

why can't you use ground up puff pastry?
Dean Anthony Anderson
"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This
Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

#11 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

View Post

You can use what ever you want to use.

The cocoa-barry product is better (imho) because the crepes are sprayed with a light layer of cocoa butter before the crepes sheet go through the roller to break them up . This makes them tend to stay fresher longer longer and not sog up as fast.

Make no mistake though, feuilltine will sog up if it hits anything moist. If you mix it in with a nut paste or chocolate (both of which don't contain much water--if any) they'll stay crisp for a long time. If you use them to coat the side of a cake, they'll sog up fast.....

#12 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Sounds about as easy as trying to make panko. Some things just need industrial machinery.

#13 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:43 AM

perhaps find a wafer factory who doesn't have anything to do with all their "crumbs"? I think those cigar type wafers are very similar

Edited by Lior, 30 October 2008 - 02:44 AM.

#14 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

perhaps find a wafer factory who doesn't have anything to do with all their "crumbs"? I think those cigar type wafers are very similar

View Post

Yes, that's what I said in my post above, chinese type "love letters" are a rolled type of cookie about the size of a cigarette.

#15 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

oops missed that-sorry!! :rolleyes:

#16 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

A not too sweet tuile batter might work. You could even brush them with cocoa butter before crushing.

#17 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

View Post

maybe if you laminated your puff with sugar so that it caramelized (you'd get something closer, but still far away from the actual product)...otherwise, that's just crumbs. feuilletine is a very specific item.

#18 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

View Post

I've made a candy out of them, like almond rochers (rocks), and they're great. sort of like high end rice crispy treats (when made with white chocolate). also make them with milk and dark and other inclusions like toasted dessicated coconut, sliced toasted almonds, etc.

#19 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

yes this is what I do as well!! Add nuts, praline paste, feulletine and chocolate.

#20 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:35 PM

Wow - I'm glad someone asked about making Paillete Feuilletine. I am aiming toward using only organic ingredients and thought I would have to give up making my 'hazelnut crisp' - basically what Ilana (Lior) described. I just did a search for recipes for crispy crepe, cornflakes, making Paillete Feuilletine, and wafer flakes and came up empty. I have tried a few brands of organic rice krispies and corn flakes - and yuck - they taste like cardboard. Anyone know of an organic source of Paillete Feuilletine?! How about an organic source of a TASTY corn flake or rice krispie??? Thanks!

#21 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

from what i understand, feuilletine is made from a very liquid crepe batter. usually, the batter is spread thinly on the back of sheet pans (heavy black steel sheet pans) and then when baked, scraped off and allowed to crumble.

i don't see why you can't adjust a crepe or tuile batter using organic ingredients to make your own. of course, the cost of labor and ingredients might just make your product a bit too expensive.

#22 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

Thanks - I think I'll give it a try and see how cost effective it is.

#23 Scout_21

Scout_21
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

Here's a link to someone making Crepes Dentelles

Crepes Dentelles

The end result of their recipe does not match the purchased paillete feulletine but I think the technique is sound...perhaps I'll try to work out a recipe too

#24 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

I've been dying to use my paillete feuilletine, i bought a box of it this summer, i wanted to add a different texture to some of my chocolates. I added it to praline cream from JP Wybauw Fine chocolates p86. This was probably not the ideal choice, the feuilletine ended up sort of soggy, not the crunchy i was looking for, though some people enjoyed the texture. I believe that the cream part of the recipe "wet" the feuilletine. Would it work better in a straight praline recipe?
What other use in chocolates have you tried with feuilletine?
Thanks for the input

Peter

#25 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

As mentioned in the posts above, you can use it in gianduja (low moisture) or straight chocolate, maybe with the addition of nust ect, in any other recipes that have moisture ( like cream etc ) the paillette will sog.
Vanessa

#26 mjc

mjc
  • participating member
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

I've been dying to use my paillete feuilletine, i bought a box of it this summer, i wanted to add a different texture to some of my chocolates.  I added it to praline cream from JP Wybauw Fine chocolates p86.  This was probably not the ideal choice, the feuilletine ended up sort of soggy, not the crunchy i was looking for, though some people enjoyed the texture.  I believe that the cream part of the recipe "wet" the feuilletine.  Would it work better in a straight praline recipe?
What other use in chocolates have you tried with feuilletine?
Thanks for the input

Peter

View Post

It works great with praline paste.
Mike
The Dairy Show
Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

#27 Smiley Riley

Smiley Riley
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

Thanks
I think i will try and make rochers and add the feuilletine for texture.

Peter

#28 ejw50

ejw50
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

to add one more to this thread, I went to Chef Rubber's location last week. They were out of Paillete Feuilletine.

The guy there (Paul I think) suggested two substitutions for a non pro like me who was using it in small quantities.

The first was sugar cones for ice cream, ground up.

The second, was tuile batter thinly spread out, baked for 30 seconds. He said that's what Paillete Feuilletine was.

Edited by ejw50, 05 March 2009 - 09:18 PM.

#29 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

I am sure a Valrhona or Callebaut distributor can send you packets. I getit from Valrhona.

#30 mjc

mjc
  • participating member
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

to add one more to this thread, I went to Chef Rubber's location last week.  They were out of Paillete Feuilletine.

The guy there (Paul I think) suggested two substitutions for a non pro like me who was using it in small quantities. 

The first was sugar cones for ice cream, ground up. 

The second, was tuile batter thinly spread out, baked for 30 seconds.  He said that's what Paillete Feuilletine was.

View Post

Here's a place, I just found, that will sell you a pound of it. Just get the real thing, don't substitute.
Mike
The Dairy Show
Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar