Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Herbal Teas/Tisanes - what are your favorites?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

Where do you get your stevia? I can only find powder and extracts, which I honestly think taste too much like their artificial counterparts (terrible). I haven't spent any time looking, but have been wanting to find a source for fresh or dried stevia to play with...

Your mix sounds really good. Does the basil not make the brew bitter?

At a herb class this summer I had and then started making at home a mix of lemon balm, mint, lemon basil and stevia.  Very nice.

View Post

If the Stevia is making your tea taste metallic and artificially sweetened, you've used water that was too hot to steep it. Like Yerba Mate, boiling water bruises Stevia and causes the release of some rather unpleasantly flavoured bitter alkaloids. Try using water that's hot but not boiling next time, and you'll find that the bitter metallic taste disappears.

Depending on where you are, you shoud be able to find live plants at specialty nurseries - it's becoming a popular landscaping shrub in the US. If not, I can certainly send you dried leaves.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#32 redclover

redclover
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm sure fresh clover is the best but I am looking for some red clover tea bags and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on any they've tried? Thanks

#33 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I've never had red clover tea. What's it like, and how do you prepare it 'fresh'?

#34 social@naturestealeaf.com

social@naturestealeaf.com
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

Where do you get your stevia? I can only find powder and extracts, which I honestly think taste too much like their artificial counterparts (terrible). I haven't spent any time looking, but have been wanting to find a source for fresh or dried stevia to play with...

Your mix sounds really good. Does the basil not make the brew bitter?

Nature's Tea Leaf is located in the U.S. and carries organic dried steavia leaf. Also, the herbal tea (tisane) selection is pretty large. You can find everything from red clover to uncut hibiscus to moringa. 

Your One Stop Shop For Everything Organic and Natural TEA!

Discover Tea Health Benifits, Promote Weight Loss, Enjoy Free Samples and Unbeatable Deals, and So, So Much More!

Visit us at http://www.NaturesTeaLeaf.com OR Call Toll Free For The Best Customer Service In The Industy 1-(800)-TEA-9895.