Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Natura

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Scout_21

Scout_21
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Oh, it's just a somewhat powerful blender (http://www.lequip.com/) less so than a vitamix but much less expensive when you find them on sale

#32 tan319

tan319
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:29 AM

L'equip makes a nice dehydrator too

Edited by tan319, 23 November 2008 - 04:30 AM.

2317/5000

#33 FerranHomaroHestonWylieGrant

FerranHomaroHestonWylieGrant
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

What was the recipe for the angel food cake on no reservations?

#34 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

Well, they simply said flour sugar, egg whites (powdered?) ground almounds, I think.
I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it up here or PMing it.
The book just came out, man!!! :laugh:
it's cheap for an El Bulli book, 75 euros.
Doesn't get better then that
Good luck!
2317/5000

#35 Digijam

Digijam
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:45 AM

Or if you want to be real cheapskate, you can find the original version of the recipe, from way back in 2005, in Ferran Adria's chapter in The Cook's Book. It's $23.40 on Amazon.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

#36 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hmmmm, I don't remember the cake in the Jill Norman book but I did see the Black sesame seed one online at Madrid Fusion or Gastro-vid.
2317/5000

#37 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

Or if you want to be  real cheapskate, you can find the original version of the recipe, from way back in 2005, in Ferran Adria's chapter in The Cook's Book. It's  $23.40 on Amazon.

View Post

The Cook's Book is WELL worth $23 - a steal, even, at that price.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#38 Scout_21

Scout_21
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

Just a warning...the concise edition does not have the chapter from Ferran Adria. You have to click on the "Also available in... Hardcover" to get the full book.

Cheers

#39 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:26 PM

Just a warning...the concise edition does not have the chapter from Ferran Adria.  You have to click on the "Also available in...  Hardcover" to get the full book.

Cheers

View Post

Whoa, good tip! I didn't know that there was an alternate version.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#40 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

The Way to Cook is a worthwhile addition to a cooking library , period.

Edit: I mean The Cooks Book, ahem...

Edited by tan319, 29 November 2008 - 10:54 PM.

2317/5000

#41 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 985 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

I was surprised to see how many of the recipes use the "sponge cake-m" technique. I counted nine different dishes. A technology that most of us have in our kitchens (for once). :cool:

#42 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 985 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

One minor annoyance. :angry: :smile:

The recipes on the CD are only available in "english" / "español". Prior el bulli books had both UK and US English, which meant that it was possible to access English-language versions of the recipes expressed in grams rather than teaspoons, ounces, etc.

There's a simple solution, of course: print out both versions. The Spanish one to obtain the quantities in grams, and the English one to be sure you understand what the ingredients are.

:sigh:

#43 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

I was surprised to see how many of the recipes use the "sponge cake-m" technique. I counted nine different dishes. A technology that most of us have in our kitchens (for once).  :cool:

View Post

Yes, will be trying that one... :wink:
2317/5000

#44 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Interesting note here....
I just purchased the DVDs of the DVD pages ICC Pastry Presentations '06/'07 and Albert Adria demoed not only "The Colibri" ( Hummingbird) but "Rock" also on the '06 DVD ( the first year of the ICC).
So Natura was well into production at that time.
Many slides presented of perhaps early platings of many of the dishes.
A lot of interesting technique here and a lot of it not "uber" sci fi.
Except for what looks like freeze drying the main component in the "Rock" it's just real solid technique.
Maybe a Paco freeze job or two in the latter recipe.

Edited by tan319, 08 December 2008 - 01:27 PM.

2317/5000

#45 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

Ahhhhh, the first "homage" to Albert Adria and his book "Natura", courtesy of Laurent Gras of
L2o, a very good ( but technical , for the food and architecture obsessed) blog.
Yes, Chef says it's a technique Ferran showed in Belgium and etc. but this sure looks like the strawberry "mi"out of "Natura".
I think it's great that influences creep in & out of all of these immensely talented people.
Which reminds me, some of the Natura work reminds me, in the "nature" aspects of the items, of Pastry chef Jordan Khan, who drove New York City crazy with delight and angst at the short lived Varietal( '06 ).

check this out!
2317/5000

#46 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Ahhhhh, the first "homage" to Albert Adria and his book "Natura", courtesy of Laurent Gras of
L2o, a very good ( but technical , for  the food and architecture obsessed) blog.
Yes, Chef says it's a technique Ferran showed in Belgium and etc. but this sure looks like the strawberry "mi"out of "Natura".
I think it's great that influences creep in & out of all of these immensely talented people.
Which reminds me, some of the Natura work reminds me, in the "nature" aspects of the items, of Pastry chef Jordan Khan, who drove New York City crazy with delight and angst at  the short lived Varietal( '06 ).

check this out!

View Post

FYI, if you didn't know, Jordan is now doing his thing in LA at XIV, Michael Mina's new restaurant.
John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."
- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

#47 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:20 AM

Yes, incredible looking restuarant and in yet another "Natura" infuence, there is a dessert by Chef Kahn features a "WHISKEY BARREL ICE CREAM" which i think would be more like the "Kentucky Whisky Cask Ice Cream " of Adrias.
Cask wood is infused into the dairy in Adria's version.
Where can I get some? :biggrin:
BTW, All of Kahns menu looks swell...XIV Restaurant
2317/5000

#48 Scout_21

Scout_21
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Does anyone happen to know if El Bulli is going to sell some of the molds for the -mi dishes? They seem to have done well with the chem sets and the croquanter stencils.

Cheers

#49 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

Maybe they will but in the meantime try a Michaels hobby joint or a specialty shop for cake decorating?
Even a chocolate mold section of JBPrine.com or Chefrubber.com, etc.?
Good Luck

Edited by tan319, 10 January 2009 - 04:14 PM.

2317/5000

#50 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 985 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

Yes, incredible looking restuarant and in yet another "Natura" infuence, there is a dessert by Chef Kahn features a "WHISKEY BARREL ICE CREAM" which i think would be more like the "Kentucky Whisky Cask Ice Cream " of Adrias.
Where can I get some?  :biggrin:

View Post

Don't know about Kentucky whiskey casks, but they sell chips made from Jack Daniels casks.

#51 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Where can I get some?  :biggrin:

View Post

Don't know about Kentucky whiskey casks, but they sell chips made from Jack Daniels casks.

View Post

I think you're right.
I thought I had seen "Kentucky " but I just checked in my book and it is Tennessee wood.
Thanks for the correction.!
2317/5000

#52 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

Great English translation of the Albert Adria interview about leaving el Bulli.
Essential read for el Bulli/ Albert/ Natura appreciators!
2317/5000

#53 mjaneiro

mjaneiro
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

I've bought the Natura cookbook from Spain and was totally scammed with elbullibook website that is not even recognized anymore by any server. Lost my money, my patience and didn't get the book… so unfortunate. I wonder if I'll have enough courage to spend again that amount to get the book in China. Very sad!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook