Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Natura

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 docsconz

docsconz
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:30 AM

Moderator's Note: This topic has been split from "The Fat Duck Cookbook" Topic.

Yesterday was a great day!

I have received, in three enourmous boxes, the following books:

The Big Fat Duck Cookbook

Alinea

A Day at El Bulli

All three are great and never were money more well spent! All three highly recommended for both Homecooks with an interest in new techniques and surely for professional cooks.

View Post

Will you be getting Albert Adria's Natura?

This has been quite the fall for big Technoemotional Cooking books!
John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."
- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

#2 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

just checked Natura, it's a lot of cash for 152pages.

anyone know more about it?
“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

#3 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

View Post

I'll definitely be getting it even if it was 50 pages and no text. After Bourdain's tease in the No Reservations Spain episode...

Pastry chef's everywhere, when they see this, will gape in fear and awe and wonder. I feel for them. Like Eric Clapton seeing Jimi Hendrix for the first time, one imagines they will ask themselves "What do I do now?"

...and the short but very cool look into what it's about, how can I not?

I was going to preorder it but I haven't been able to find it from a Canada or U.S. dealer, anyone seen it anywhere?
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#4 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

View Post

I'll definitely be getting it even if it was 50 pages and no text. After Bourdain's tease in the No Reservations Spain episode...

Pastry chef's everywhere, when they see this, will gape in fear and awe and wonder. I feel for them. Like Eric Clapton seeing Jimi Hendrix for the first time, one imagines they will ask themselves "What do I do now?"

...and the short but very cool look into what it's about, how can I not?

I was going to preorder it but I haven't been able to find it from a Canada or U.S. dealer, anyone seen it anywhere?

View Post

Given the stature of the author and the book, I am surprised to have seen very little buzz about this book. I would think that it is likely to be every bit as significant as The Big Fat Duck and Alinea books, if not even more.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

#5 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

you can buy it direct from the El Bulli website, 100€ all in for outside the EU.
“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

#6 Pizza Napoletana

Pizza Napoletana
  • participating member
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

Alinea

A Day at El Bulli

All three are great and never were money more well spent! All three highly recommended for both Homecooks with an interest in new techniques and surely for professional cooks.

View Post

View Post

As someone else already noted, it is only available to pre-order on the El Bulli website.

Although interested, some of the same methodology and technique may have already appeared on previous El Bulli's books (like the microwave sponge/foam demonstrated on Bourdain's No Reservations Spain episode).

For me those books serve as an inspiration and training rather then necessarily replicating the same recipes.

#7 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

Alinea

A Day at El Bulli

View Post

View Post

As someone else already noted, it is only available to pre-order on the El Bulli website.

Although interested, some of the same methodology and technique may have already appeared on previous El Bulli's books (like the microwave sponge/foam demonstrated on Bourdain's No Reservations Spain episode).

For me those books serve as an inspiration and training rather then necessarily replicating the same recipes.

View Post

I agree that it will be interesting to see what is new about this book that isn't in the other elBulli books.

Twitter - @docsconz

#8 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

I think we're drifting off the original topic here but what interests me about it is the organic approach. I'm not really concerned with new techniques in this one, although if they're there that's great, I want it more for inspirational reasons. Everything that was shown in the episode revolves around the natural world. They seem to be inspired by things you can see walking around with your eyes open, not just staring towards where you're going, but constructed using the Adria "How the hell did he do that?" techniques. I'm prepared to be blown away and willing to pay the price to have that happen. If it doesn't, I'm sure it'll still be a nice book to have around.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#9 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

View Post

Given that the book is in English as well, I would guarantee that it will be the best $$ you ever spent on a cook book.
Los Postres de El Bulli was the best 125 ( in 01) bucks I laid out even translating on Free Trans in a language ( Catalan) that's not easy.

It's going to be "transformational" for many pastry chefs as well as savory.

Period.
Order now :wink:

edit :These folks have it for 71.50 euro
A steal when a cd rom is included.

We had it up a few weeks ago John, I too was surprised not to see any buzz over here but then again, I don't have as much time to surf the many sub forums here :sad: but I'm glad to see it building :smile:

I'm guessing the No Reservations episode recently played?

Addressing the tri cook observation, Natura , I think, is going to finalize a movement that appears to be more natural and I've always "argued" the style of cooking El Bulli does [I] is " Natura", a microwaved Angel Food cake is utilizing technology in the same way we microwave popcorn.

Edited by tan319, 20 October 2008 - 10:11 PM.

2317/5000

#10 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

the euro is in a good place today vs bucks/ e 1.31 or so
2317/5000

#11 Jamesbchef

Jamesbchef
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:10 AM

Just got Natura in the mail, first glance... unreal! Haven't looked at CD-ROM yet, but incredible techniques, presentations, and concepts.

#12 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

Just got Natura in the mail, first glance... unreal! Haven't looked at CD-ROM yet, but incredible techniques, presentations, and concepts.

View Post

can't wait to hear more!!!
2317/5000

#13 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

View Post

Where did you order it from? The elBulli website?

Twitter - @docsconz

#14 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

View Post

Where did you order it from? The elBulli website?

View Post

It would great to where you ordered it from
Thank you!
2317/5000

#15 Jamesbchef

Jamesbchef
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

I did get it from el bulli. I've never had a problem getting books from them. Took about nine days and well worth it. Got into it a little more, to me these are much more "complete" dishes. CD-ROM works well for recipes, photos are great as usual, small bit of Alberts thoughts in the book that are very insightful. Great book all around.

#16 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Ordered!!!
2317/5000

#17 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:18 AM

I did get it from el bulli. I've never had a problem getting books from them. Took about nine days and well worth it. Got into it a little more, to me these are much more "complete" dishes. CD-ROM works well for recipes, photos are great as usual, small bit of Alberts thoughts in the book that are very insightful. Great book all around.

View Post

Question
I ordered Natura from El Bulli books and I haven't had a confirmation from them or anything.
Is that the way they do it?
Just send it to you?
Any info greatly appreciated
Thanks

BTW
The Alinea book is pretty mind blowing
2317/5000

#18 Jamesbchef

Jamesbchef
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

That is right, they just send it. It took a couple of days (maybe 4) for it to show on my credit card. Once it's sent, it doesn't take long
My favorite books this fall have been Under Pressure (can't go wrong with TK) ,Fat Duck, not for food or recipes, but Heston's dialog of coming up with dishes and total freedom to do anything with food. Also the CIA Frozen Desserts book is an EXCELLENT reference (by former French Laundry pastry chef). Alinea, was most anticipated, but still not sure if I like it. Olivier Roellinger has a new book out in French, very good. A day in el bulli is pretty cool, Crillion, also pretty cool. Natura is still maybe the coolest (I'm not even a pastry chef). I have a few more new books but lost track of what they are...

#19 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 607 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

can someone please point me in the direction of the Crillon book, not heard or seen that one?

#20 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Alinea, was most anticipated, but still not sure if I like it.

View Post

That's interesting, because I think you're the first person I've heard who's said that. I haven't gotten my copy yet - Canada seems to be the last place on Earth to receive the pre-ordered versions - so I'm curious to know what you don't like about it!
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#21 Jamesbchef

Jamesbchef
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

The book is solid and NOTHING AGAINST GRANT OR ANY OF THEIR STAFF. Those guys are all bad asses, but my personal stye is going more towards someone like NOMA's Rene Redzepi or Bras say. I like their connection to nature and surroundings. The book is technically perfect, I appreciate their incredible talent, but just not my style.

#22 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

So as to not veer too far off topic, I understand what you mean.
However, I'm finding that the Alinea book makes it all more human or natural to me.
The cooking is not real far out if you look a bit deeper, as I'm sure I'll find Natura.
As far as Bras goes, between him & Gagnaire, the influences from both run deep in the Spanish movement.
2317/5000

#23 Shinboners

Shinboners
  • 806 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

can someone please point me in the direction of the Crillon book, not heard or seen that one?

View Post

It's easy enough to track down on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Just do a search for "At The Crillon And At Home: Recipes by Jean-Francois Piege" by Jean-Francois Piege.

The price is £21.00 on Amazon.co.uk
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

#24 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

OK, this is real good!

Vid from Madrid Fusion or other gastro con fab.
Sort of an advert for the book.
BTW, the "Spain" episode from AB's "No reservations is great, big segment on Natura ( I think it's been well documented here but...), well worth an Itunes download, the whole episode is a joy.
Can't wait for my trip to Madrid and environs in Feb. :biggrin:
2317/5000

#25 Scout_21

Scout_21
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

Just got Natura..amazing book and cd. Seems like exact replication of the techniques are out of my price range as I won't be purchasing a pacojet or freeze dryer any time soon. Anyone has thoughts on other ways to make the powders?

I am thinking about freezing some of the ice cream bases in small blocks then using a high powered blender with some dry ice chunks to prevent melting.

As for freeze drying my best idea is to use a food saver jar to put the food item in a vacuum and then put it in the freezer for a while to hopefully allow some of the water to sublimate....

Cheers

Edited by Scout_21, 16 November 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#26 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:10 AM

A couple of thoughts spring to mind.
One is that Polyscience or a company like them will be offering a "lower" priced freeze dryer to the public inside of a year.
One might see freeze dryers ( I think they're used in botanical/flower business) on ebay. much like immersion circulators were in the "old' days.
Pacojets, well,I still think they're worth it but...
I haven't received my copy of Natura yet but if it's like "Los Postres de El Bulli" or the other books, I'll look at it as a springboard to new ideas rather then exact replication.
Edit.

I had to run out earlier so just to finish a though or two, books like El Bulli are, as you know, a thorough documentation on their process's and even though the techniques themselves I don't feel are that weird or hard, many if not most of them are designed for, appear to be designed for ala minute service.
When I get Natura finally delivered to me hopefully I will get on the same page as you folks that are already drooling on it!

Edited by tan319, 17 November 2008 - 01:40 PM.

2317/5000

#27 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

tan319, have you got any further info on the freeze driers?

#28 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

tan319, have you got any further info on the freeze driers?

View Post

No, just that I'm seeing them mentioned more & more.
In October '08's Food Arts mag, a piece on Chef Laurent Gras' new Chicago restaurant L20 mentioned a company called the Freeze Dryer Co.
That company did a mod on a "Floral Dehydrator" to get it to meet NSF standards.
It looks like a washing machine with trays in it.
I think the blog Chadzilla mentions their restauranr getting into freeze drying.
So, what I was saying in the above post was that if books like Natura, Alinea ( yes?) mags, all start talking about freeze drying, some body is going to develop a restaurant version, and soon.
In the meantime, here is a link for the freeze dry company Maybe it's all here?

Good Luck!
2317/5000

#29 Scout_21

Scout_21
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

Hello All,

I just made some "chocolate powder" by following the recipe in the "Mint Cloud" I froze the chocolate mixture in an ice cube tray overnight then blended it up in a carafe that was in a freezer for an hour or two for my RPM blender. Came out looking like dirt....very similar to how it appeared in natura (thought without the curling effect the pacojet seems to give).

Just thought I'd share. Oh, and I didn't need to use any dry ice. Also, please be sure that you have a high powered blender (and still under warranty) I don't want to share a technique and have someone loose their blender,

Cheers

#30 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

I received my copy of Natura yesterday, wow!
The thing I probably enjoy the most is reading about the process, the writing of the book, etc.
It's such a bonus having this published in English.
I actually wrote Juli Solter years ago about doing a translation of Los Postres de El Bulli, asking if I presented a list of interested buyers, etc.
This more then makes up for it.
Alberto has a cool sense of humour, a sensitivity that's deep and I like that this project , it seems for him, is all about enjoyment .
The flavor profiles are often quite similar to "Los Postres...", bitter almond, yogurt, lime (gelatin) mandarine, too many to mention.
The technique is wild but reachable, at least as far as equipment goes.
The croquanter kit from Texturas, Lyo fruits, ditto, .
Influence prediction: Here comes the sponge cakes "m" :biggrin:

scout: what is the RPM blender?
2317/5000

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook