Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
599 replies to this topic

#31 Gregory Glancy

Gregory Glancy
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Today I decided to start with what I refer to as "Asian Grocery Store Gold." It is a decent Taiwanese Dong Ding Oolong that cost me a whopping $6.99 for 100 grams vacuum sealed in a metal tin. The company who packages the tea is "Good Young Co., Ltd." out of Taipei, and is marketed as the Tradition Oolong Tea Series. The English description on the can promised a "leisurely and carefree mood at any time." I couldn't resist such marketing, so I bought it and feel like I finally got my money's worth out of a grocery store bought tea. I'd post a picture, but I haven't figured that out on here yet...

It is a typical Taiwanese ball-shaped oolong with little to no roasting. I steeped it gongfu style in a Gaiwan, and got three decent steepings out of it. Moderately sweet, tastes a little flat or not super fresh, but it does have that Taiwanese Oolong flavor that I love. Not bad for $6.99.

Has anyone else found good values like this in their local markets?
Greg
www.norbutea.com

#32 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

Today I decided to start with what I refer to as "Asian Grocery Store Gold."  It is a decent Taiwanese Dong Ding Oolong that cost me a whopping $6.99 for 100 grams vacuum sealed in a metal tin.  The company who packages the tea is "Good Young Co., Ltd." out of Taipei, and is marketed as the Tradition Oolong Tea Series.  The English description on the can promised a "leisurely and carefree mood at any time."  I couldn't resist such marketing, so I bought it and feel like I finally got my money's worth out of a grocery store bought tea.  I'd post a picture, but I haven't figured that out on here yet...

It is a typical Taiwanese ball-shaped oolong with little to no roasting.  I steeped it gongfu style in a Gaiwan, and got three decent steepings out of it.  Moderately sweet, tastes a little flat or not super fresh, but it does have that Taiwanese Oolong flavor that I love.  Not bad for $6.99.

View Post

That's good to hear. I have looked at the tea aisle in a few small Asian markets recently and did not find anything that persuaded me to take the risk. I'll look for your find next time in the larger markets.

#33 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

This afternoon I have been drinking a 2007 Spring FengHuan Lin-Tou DanCong "Mi Lan", which came as a free sample with an order from Hou De Fine Tea. Brewed Western style in a large Yixing teapot and held in a 200 ml Yixing pot. 5.0 mg leaf to 200 mg water. Ten second rinse. First infusion - 5 minutes. Second - 4.5 minutes. More to go.

Floral aroma, honey taste and after taste. A wonderful DanCong. I think they are sold out of this and just using it for small free samples with orders, but I haven't been able to load their site right now to confirm that. If I am mistaken, I'll post.

#34 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

Today I am drinking this 2008 Nan Jian Tulin * 803 Ripe Pu-erh tea tuo * 500g from Yunnan Sourcing. Brewed Western style for about 3 minutes first infusion, it is more drinkable than most first year cooked puers I have had and has a sweet after taste. No offensive off flavors or aromas. This is very inexpensive Shu Puer, so I may want to get another tong. Should be even better in a couple of years.

I did not measure the amount of Pu used, just scattered some in the bottom of a large (about 10 ounce, 300ml) Yixing pot some of the tuo I had chipped a few days ago. Next time I'll measure and report back.

#35 jpr54_

jpr54_
  • participating member
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

what is western syle brewing?

#36 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

what is western syle brewing?

View Post

"Western style" just refers to using less tea leaf for a fixed amount of water for a longer brewing time, in contrast to, for example, Chinese gongfu style brewing with a higher leaf to water ratio in a small pot or gaiwan.

For example,

Western style - one teaspoon ( 2.5 g) per 8 ounces water for 4 - 5 minutes for one to two...maybe three infusions.

Gongfu style - 5 - 6 g per 90 - 120 ml water for short infusions of 5, 10 15, 20, 30, 45, 60 seconds, etc. or 20, 15, 20, 20, 30, 40, 50, seonds, etc. for 10 to 20 infusions.

#37 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

Today it's a a Shui Xian Oolong from TCC. Brewed Western style in Monk's Hat Yixing tea pot (photo in the "Show us your teaware! topic).

3 g leaf to 180 ml water, 195 F, for 3 minutes first and second infusions. Neglected to do a quick rinse before the first infusion and am sure it would have made a little difference. I can tell it should offer at least two more infusions. I like it.

So, what's in your teacup today?

#38 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

Today I have been drinking a raw Puer from puershop.com - their 2007 Premium Mengku Arbor Pu-erh Tea Brick. Eye-balled what I think was about 5 g in about 180 ml (6 ounces), pre-heated mug and infuser, boiling water for 1.5 minutes, first and second infusions. May be able to get several more out of it, but at least two more.

This is a very pleasant young sheng puer. No off-tastes, not any complexity of course, but a little sweet after-taste. I think the key for me is not over-brewing it.

#39 jpr54_

jpr54_
  • participating member
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:14 AM

today i am drinking ba xian dancong which i purchased after poetry reading at cha ma gu dao teashop(south silk road tea)

#40 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Today I decided to start with what I refer to as "Asian Grocery Store Gold."  It is a decent Taiwanese Dong Ding Oolong that cost me a whopping $6.99 for 100 grams vacuum sealed in a metal tin.  The company who packages the tea is "Good Young Co., Ltd." out of Taipei, and is marketed as the Tradition Oolong Tea Series.  The English description on the can promised a "leisurely and carefree mood at any time."  I couldn't resist such marketing, so I bought it and feel like I finally got my money's worth out of a grocery store bought tea.  I'd post a picture, but I haven't figured that out on here yet...

It is a typical Taiwanese ball-shaped oolong with little to no roasting.  I steeped it gongfu style in a Gaiwan, and got three decent steepings out of it.  Moderately sweet, tastes a little flat or not super fresh, but it does have that Taiwanese Oolong flavor that I love.  Not bad for $6.99.

View Post

Greg emailed me the name of the market where he found this Dong Ding Oolong. It took me a while to find it -- three aisles of various teas and herbal/medicinal teas and it was tucked back in a hard to reach corner -- but persistance paid off. Now marked $7.99, and still a bargain. I also found one lonely tin of another tea that looked promising, but have not brewed it yet.

Greg is right. This tea is worth looking for.

#41 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

Today I started off drinking a 2007 Darjeeling Castleton 2nd Flush from The Cultured Cup. Very smooth, no astringency on the first infusion, western style.

So, what's in your tea cup today?

#42 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

This morning it's a Nilgiri Glendale Estate, Handmade from TeaSource. Wow! Even though I think my first and second infusions were a little short at 3 and 4 minutes.

So, what tea are you drinking today?

#43 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

Today my first try of a 2008 Yi Wu Mountain Bamboo Raw Pu-Erh. This is from Norbu, the new tea import enterprise of eG Society member Greg Glancy. (In the interests of full disclosure, I have known Greg for two or three years, having first met him at a Cultured Cup T-Bar meeting in Dallas where he gave a presentation on his travels in the tea growing regions of China and Tibet. No financial interest in Norbu on my part.) Greg threw in this free 10 g sample of the Bamboo Pu with my order.

This is a very easy to drink young sheng (raw) pu-ehr. I brewed it gongfu style, with a 10 second rinse and so far two infusions: 1- 10 sec, 2- 20 sec. The first was more astringent than the second. Sweet, with a pleasantly sweet and astringent after-taste. This may be a drink now or in the next few years sheng. It doesn't have the oomph that would suggest great aging potential.

So what's in your tea cup today?

#44 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

I got in a 2008 Darjeeling Castleton Estate 2nd Flush (wiry) from TeaSource last week, so it's in my cup today. I really like Darjeelings and this one is terrific. The dry aroma of the leaves alone is worth the price of admission. Gorgeous wet leaves. A little astringency, medium-light bodied, fruity (but not a fruit bomb).

The wiry nature of the leaves makes it difficut to eye-ball amount, so I measured out 2.5 g per 120 ml (4 ounces) of water. Brewed western style at about 208 F for 2 minutes on the first infusion. I'll increase that to 3 minutes on the second.

This 2008 is a little different than the one from 2007 I had a few days ago. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison with the two of them.

Any other Darjeeling lovers here?

#45 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

Tonight I am drinking a Mariage Freres Metis, an herbal, flavored South African tisane from The Cultured Cup. I have not had this tea in a couple of years and like it better now. Perhaps Mariage Freres has changed the blend subtly. Or maybe it's me. Don't know, but it is pleasant and relaxing.

So what's in your tea cup today?

#46 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

Had a cup of Lapsong Souchong from TenRen Tea: http://tenrentea.com this morning. Yikes! Good tea, but a little too smokey for me this morning. :blink:

It would be great with a smoked brisquet or pulled pork or charcoal grilled burgers.

Now drinking a pleasant Shui Xian Oolong from TCC, but the smokiness lingers.

So, what are you drinking today? Tea, that is....

#47 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

It was a Chinese red tea this morning, followed by a Phoenix Mountain Oolong this afternoon.

What tea(s) have you been drinking today?

#48 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

What's everyone drinking today?

I started out with my first cup ever of PG Tips and don't understand why people like it so much. It appears to be leaves broken into tiny bits, which = bitter. Maybe "strong" is a euphemism for bitter.

What is it about PG Tips that keeps you PG Tips drinkers coming back for more? How do you brew it; maybe I'm not brewing it well.

Now I am drinking an Oolong from Hue De.: the 2008 Spring "Natural Harvest" WuDong FengHuang DanCong. Brewed Western style, 2.5 g/120 ml (4 ou). Strong floral aroma and taste with honey following and in the after taste. That was the 1st two infusions, more to go. I have been getting at least 4 infusions out of this western style. Delicious!

#49 ghostrider

ghostrider
  • participating member
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:56 AM

The Nahorhabi FTGFOP1 Assam that I mentioned in the purveyor thread. (I think Upton has a couple of Nahorhabi teas on offer, the designation is to distinguish this one.)

It's one of the tippier Assams I've encountered, has a somewhat lighter flavor & more floral aroma than most of them. It's a very refreshing morning tea.
Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

#50 jpr54_

jpr54_
  • participating member
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

Today my son and I went to the tuna cutting at Matsuwa Market in Edgewater, New Jersey-The cutting will be repeated on Sunday at noon and 3 p.m. The market is one of the largest in Northern New Jersey-
The fish,vegetables, etc are fresh and probably best in the area. Many ppl from NYC area come to the market to purchase their fish, etc.
We bought some of the fresh cut tuna and made our own hand rolls-
I bought a can of green teen and jasmine for my beverage-i don't remember the name of the company-
The tuna weighed 520 pounds and was caught somewhere near Barcelona-

#51 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,345 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

I just prepared Adagio's Red Bloom black tea.
In addition to being a very pleasant cup of tea, it is also a treat for the eyes.
Posted Image
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#52 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

In addition to being a very pleasant cup of tea, it is also a treat for the eyes. 
Posted Image

View Post

Ooooohhhhh! That's beautiful!

I am reminded that I have some jasmine tea that I picked up in Hong Kong along with a glass tea pot so I can watch the flowers unfurl. Must remember where I put them...

#53 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

View Post

That is dramatic, Andie. What kind of glass pot is that?

#54 lperry

lperry
  • participating member
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

That flower tea is just beautiful! I followed the link to the website and learned tat the leaves are hand-stitched together. Amazing.

I've been drinking a green tea that was given to me by a friend who brought it from China. She is from Beijing, and I told her I would defer to her expertise in regard to what I might like. I'm not enough of an expert to know what I should buy.

The English on the tin reads, Alpine Organic Baihao Tea, Green Tea. It is just lovely, and per her directions, I have been brewing three cups from each little spoon of leaves, and thus far, the second is my favorite. A bit of honey sweetness comes out in the second brew. It is a complete mystery how this happens when the leaves stay in the cup the entire time. I guess that some flavors must come out and mask others that linger.

#55 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,345 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

The pot is a Bodum I bought several years ago. I did not have the infuser in it but it is essentially the same size and shape as the pot itself so it lends itself well to full leaf teas and herbs, especially nice for some of the fresh herbs that infuse prettily, such as lemon verbena, fresh picked.
It was called the Tea Bowl and is no longer available. Bodum does offer a "Tea Bowl" but it is
stainless steel and fairly expensive.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is a bigger Bodum. I don't think it is still available.
Posted Image

and this is one of the simple glass teapots I bought at the following site. Enjoying Tea.com
Posted Image

Edited by andiesenji, 09 November 2008 - 07:57 PM.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#56 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

That flower tea is just beautiful!  I followed the link to the website and learned tat the leaves are hand-stitched together.  Amazing.

I've been drinking a green tea that was given to me by a friend who brought it from China.  She is from Beijing, and I told her I would defer to her expertise in regard to what I might like.  I'm not enough of an expert to know what I should buy.

The English on the tin reads, Alpine Organic Baihao Tea, Green Tea.  It is just lovely, and per her directions, I have been brewing three cups from each little spoon of leaves, and thus far, the second is my favorite.  A bit of honey sweetness comes out in the second brew.  It is a complete mystery how this happens when the leaves stay in the cup the entire time.  I guess that some flavors must come out and mask others that linger.

View Post

Lucky you! This is a famous Oolong tea also known as "Oriental Beauty". It's at the greener end of the Oolong spectrum.

#57 lperry

lperry
  • participating member
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

^Thank you for that information - I'll do a little research on it. She also gave me some jasmine tea that is supposed to be from the same leaves, but it was packaged in a tin that she reused so I don't have a name. I do know, however, that I was right on the money to ask her to choose for me. :smile:

Edited by lperry, 11 November 2008 - 01:51 PM.

#58 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

Late note: Yesterday it was a Gan De Tie Guan Yin from jingteashop.com. This is in the light style that is now more popular than the traditional roasted style. Brewed gongfu style, it was seriously vegetal on the first infusion and then several interesting layers of vegetal sweetness unfolded before I gave out. I think I did about 7 infusions - wasn't tracking this as closely as usual - and think it could have gone several more. (I must have gotten some of the last of this, because it no longer shows on their site.)

Today I brewed gongfu style a 2007 Menghai Tea Factory "Silver Dayi" Raw Pu-erh from norbutea.com. This is a pleasant cup with a little bite to it on the first infusions, so perhaps it will age well.

#59 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

What's everyone drinking today?

I started out with my first cup ever of PG Tips and don't understand why people like it so much. It appears to be leaves broken into tiny bits, which = bitter. Maybe "strong" is a euphemism for bitter.

What is it about PG Tips that keeps you PG Tips drinkers coming back for more? How do you brew it; maybe I'm not brewing it well.

View Post

OK, I brewed it too stong the first time. I did it again using less leaf and cooler temp and see what it is now. I think it's equivalent to Lipton's and other CTC grocery store teas. The kind of thing a bazillion people drink every day, even though they could easily do much better for about the same cost or not much more.

Oh, today it was a Red Tea from China - a Keemun Mao Feng. I like it.

What tea are you all drinking today?

#60 lemoncoke

lemoncoke
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

iThis morning I had some loos pu-er that I had picked up from Teance. Brewed it kungfu style. It was a little smoky, and ..... a hint of sour?? it was an ok tea.

In the afternoon, I had some ancient chinese iron goddess (TKY). It was floral and really light.

I need to find some drinkable pu-er this weekend.