Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
599 replies to this topic

#541 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Black Yunnan today--the Yunnan gold xtra fancy from Chadotea--with a sprinkling of Osmanthus blossoms. Really nicely amplifies the underlying fruitiness of this tea. Thought of the combination after a reshuffling of the tea cabinet yesterday, and running across the osamnthus which I'd forgotten about.

Edited by Wholemeal Crank, 16 November 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#542 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,416 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Another spicy tea from Adagio. This one is Spiced Apple Chai.
Very warming on these chilly days. Not as strong in the cup as some chai blends I have tried from this vendor but the tea stands up well to milk and sweetener and is an extremely pleasant drink with a long, smooth finish.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#543 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

I'm new to Roobios and I'm loving to concept, history and geography. It's a special taste that reminds me of many things, I think, that aren't in the brew.

I've got the buzzer set for an hour before dawn, at which time I'll make the Roo and watch the Leonids meteor shower.
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#544 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

Today's been a slow tea day. Started with a nice Ceylon from TeaSouce.com this morning and just got around to brewing the Sencha Select from TheCulturedCup.com featured in a recent Tea Tasting & Discussion. Two fine teas.

Tonight I'm resisting getting into my sample tea for the next Tea Tasting & Discussion featuring a Fall 2009 Ma Xi, also known as a Harry Crab Oolong. Okay, so drinking a Harry Crab doesn't quite work as an appealing image, but the tea is from Greg at Norbutea so there is very good reason to believe it likely will not hurt you too badly. :wink: And the reason for the name is in the link. Check it out.

#545 LuckyGirl

LuckyGirl
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

Right now I am drinking Norbu Tea's 2009 Fall Alsihan, one of the 3 packets of Alishan samples Greg kindly sent with my order.

I am eager to get back to tasting more of the pu ehrs I ordered from him.

#546 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

Today starting again with green tea, the yunnan mao feng from norbutea. I think I need to weigh this one, because what looked like a big pinch of leaves has not filled much of the pot, and the flavor of the infusions is coming up a little light. It needed to be a little stronger to stand up to the apple tart.

#547 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Started the day with the Nilgiri, Glendale Estate, Handmade from TeaSource.com. Just about to finish up a bag of it, but I have another in reserve that I ordered after trying the first one. This is another tea featured in a Tea Tasting and Discussion earlier this year. One smooth tea.

I have also been brewing a Lao Tie Guan Yin, Late 1990s aged. I bought some of this many months ago from Greg at Norbutea.com and today tried it gongfu cha style in a Yixing and in a gaiwan. Stone fruit up front with the wood-fire roastiness. I liked it better brewed in the gaiwan and do not yet know if the Yixing clay is still new enough that it is absorbing tea oil and sucking out flavor (which is normal), or if other teas brewed in it are interfering, or if another Yixing pot with a different clay will do better. But for now, the gaiwan brews a richer, fruitier tea liquor. I'll play with this tea in a few Yixing pots and see what happens.

#548 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

Today started with a cup of Grand Keemun from TeaSource.com. Not as complex and classy as the other Keemuns from Tea Source that I have been drinking, but a solid, full-codied and inexpensive one.

#549 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

I have also brewed a 2009 Norbu Lao Cha Tou today. I posted about it in the Pu-erh topic and an infusion I did since then has been even better - richer, thicker mouthfeel. Very nice.

#550 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

Bought a block of that puerh but will probably not get to it for a bit yet. Today starting with some Big Red Robe, which is just right for a day when I need caffeine for wakefulness but also soothing for a mildly frantic day.

#551 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

Finishing the evening with some gyokuro kin from denstea.com.

#552 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

I have a lot of tea from several sources that I have not opened yet. Today I opened one I got from Greg at norbutea.com. This is a Fall 2009 Bai Yun (White Cloud) Oolong from Yunnan, but in the style of Taiwanese Oriental Beauty. Gong fu style it brews well at a ratio of about 1.5 g per ounce of water. A richer infusion gives me more of a stone fruit-peach flavor, but the lower ratio shows better the layers of floral, citrus and honey. It is fairly highly oxidized and is noticeably astringent (drying). This will be an interesting one to play with to try a few different brewing parameters.

#553 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

I have been brewing a Lao Ban Zhang Mao Cha (Spring 2009) that I ordered from norbutea.com a while ago. Greg at Norbu puts up a yellow flag warning that this sheng pu-erh is not for sheng newbies, but this brewing was really easy and pleasant. Some expectable astringency, but delicious. I brewed it gong fu cha in a Yixing made of clay from the '70s or '80s, so it may have something to do with clay effects. Time for another sloppy not-double-blind tea experiment! This is one I should brew in two or three Yixing and in a gaiwan to see what happens...and I'll post about this on the pu-erh topic.

#554 LuckyGirl

LuckyGirl
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

I am drinking a cup of the Wild White tea from Norbu that Wholemeal Crank included in a generous package of various teas to sample that she shared with me.

This is the first tea I've had that I get what people mean when they refer to "camphor".

My husband and I had a rich meal this evening at the home of some friends and we both ate too much. This tea is acting as a nice digestive.

#555 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

Today made a thermos full of a medium grade dragonwell from Wing Hop Fung. Lower temps, shorter infusions, and I got a nice, nutty, mildly swett tea, but a bit too dilute. I guess when brewing so gently I can be more aggressive on the tea to water ratios.

And glad to see you're enjoying that wild white tea, LuckyGirl. It's eye-opening stuff, so distinctive, but very mild for all of that.

Edited by Wholemeal Crank, 19 November 2009 - 11:09 PM.

#556 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

Today I started off by finishing the last of my fuka-midori sencha sampler from denstea. Delicous. After I finish the gyokuro I'm not sure if I'll restock with gyokuro or sencha.

#557 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

Enjoying the Keemun Hao Ya B from Teasource.com...cocoa, earthy, sweet.

#558 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

Today at work, a nice green jasmine pearl from the coffee bean and tea leaf. Got it much nicer than usual with a cooler water and careful attention to brewing time. Avoided the bitter and the soap flavor I so often get with this stuff. I think the attetion to brewing parameter with the Japanese green teas is paying off.

This evening, I tried the Lao Cha Tuo from norbutea. It's a lovely sweet shu puerh. Very nice.

#559 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:29 AM

A light tea day. Chamomile at the end.

#560 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:40 AM

Just some hainan purple bud puerh (from norbutea) today. First time in a while with this one, and good to remember how sweet it is.

#561 velveeta

velveeta
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

My late morning tea is from an Asian grocery, it's called Butterfly Brand China Jasmine Tea.

It is nice and full tasting and dark colored. Looks like a black tea.

The label from China says it's made from the China National Produce and Animal By-Products I/E Corporation. Mmmmmm.

I am dipping an Amaretti into it, just out of the oven.

#562 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

Interesting to see jasmine in a black japanese tea. I've only seen in combined with green teas. How strong is the jasmine, and how does it complement the tea?

#563 velveeta

velveeta
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

I assumed it was a green tea too, but after brewing it was so dark so I looked at the raw tea more closely, it looked like a black. Now that I am done with it now the leaves at the bottom of the pot I just emptied look more like a green tea. ??

The jasmine flavor and aroma were very prominent and along with the stronger tea leaf taste aspect it's a winner. I'll be using this as a morning tea until it's used up.

#564 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Today I had my first successful attempt at making Matcha. (I had one really unsuccessful previous attemept at trying to turn it into a Matcha Smoothie, but that's another story.) This is an organic Yabe Matcha I got from Dan at yuuki-cha.com. I bought this one because it was inexpensive and I did not want to learn on anything pricier. I'll take some pics of the set up tomorrow and post those and more detail in the Japanese Green Tea topic.

#565 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

Started with some "small bud gold" yunnan black tea from tea habitat today. Unfortunately I let this one get a little too cool before I drank it. It was nice enough, but I didn't get a good chance to judge it properly.

This evening, finishing off some of the spring floral ti quan yin sampler from Harney & Sons. It is an amazing golden liquor that is quite beautiful in the glass mug.

#566 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

Not wanting to waste precious gyokuros, I combined small amounts of the last of the Organic Asakina Gyokuro Tsuyuhikari and the Organic Karigane, both from Yuuki-cha.com and came up with 6.1 g, just enough to brew a couple of ounces of water in a Banko houhin. I thought it might be so old at this point that it would not be worth drinking, but I was able to coax 5 flavorful infusions out of the leaves. Nice.

Edited by Richard Kilgore, 23 November 2009 - 10:07 AM.
spelling gremlins

#567 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Enjoying a Yunnan Imperial from TCC.

What teas are you all drinking in your part of the world?

Edited by Richard Kilgore, 23 November 2009 - 10:14 AM.

#568 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:07 AM

Pulled out the packet of First Pluck Akishan High Mountain Taiwan Oolong from Norbutea.com for the first time, I think, in over a month. This is way past the time I should have finished it, and while no longer very aromatic, the flavor is still delicious for multiple infusions (at least eight so far, from 30 seconds up to three minutes), gongfu cha in a Yixing pot, over several hours of cooking.

#569 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Dian Hong "Pure Bud" Black Tea - Spring 2007 from Yunnan Sourcing in my cup today. I just opened this tea for the first time. It's not a Dian Hong Imperial, but it's good.

So what teas are you all drinking today?

#570 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

2007 White Bud Sheng Puerh from norbutea. Mmmm....hit the spot just right after an epidemic of overeating at the office pre-thanksgiving potluck today.