Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Ammonia

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yoshka

yoshka
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

I have a recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of ammonia. Since I can't get it, what can I replace it with.
thanks in advance for any ideas for substitutions.

#2 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

I assume you mean ammonium carbonate or hartshorn, sometimes called baker's ammonia.

Baking powder is the common substitute. I believe it's a 1:1 substitution, but I have never tried it. The baked goods will not bake up as light and crisp with baking powder as with the ammonium carbonate.

Drugstores are supposed to carry ammonium carbonate, as well as any store catering to German or Scandanavian bakers.

#3 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,415 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:13 AM

Italian grocery stores carry it around here.

#4 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

Yep, baking powder will work but it's not exactly the same. I have a cookie that I use ammonium carbonate in and there's definitely a textural difference when using baking powder instead. It's not a cookie destroying difference but it's enough that I keep ammonium carbonate on hand. Plus, it's kinda fun to see people's faces when they ask "What's that smell?" and I say it's the cookies baking.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#5 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

just as an aside, ammonium carbonate is specifically used to leaven items which are to be baked DRY like biscotti, crackers and other dry items. if used to leaven other items, all of the ammonia will not cook out and you'll be left with some pretty foul baked goods. ammonium carbonate gives these dry items a specific friable (crunchy, crispy, nice and brittle) texture which is why you don't get the exact results when replacing with baking soda.

#6 s_hustava

s_hustava
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:50 AM

I just ordered some from King Arthur Flour, as I cannot find it in a store near me.
Oh, go put on your big girl panties and just DEAL with it!

#7 devlin

devlin
  • participating member
  • 648 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

Yep, baking powder will work but it's not exactly the same. I have a cookie that I use ammonium carbonate in and there's definitely a textural difference when using baking powder instead. It's not a cookie destroying difference but it's enough that I keep ammonium carbonate on hand. Plus, it's kinda fun to see people's faces when they ask "What's that smell?" and I say it's the cookies baking.

View Post

Um,... what IS the smell? Good smell? More intense smell?

#8 rickster

rickster
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

just as an aside, ammonium carbonate is specifically used to leaven items which are to be baked DRY like biscotti, crackers and other dry items. if used to leaven other items, all of the ammonia will not cook out and you'll be left with some pretty foul baked goods. ammonium carbonate gives these dry items a specific friable (crunchy, crispy, nice and brittle) texture which is why you don't get the exact results when replacing with baking soda.

My King Arthur Flour Cookie Book suggests using it as an alternative to baking powder in their decorator cookies which have a fair amount of butter. Seemed to turn out OK, although not that noticeably crisper than with baking powder

#9 baroness

baroness
  • participating member
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

View Post

:blink: Ammonia! :blink:

Though the cookies' flavor is not supposed to be affected...I haven't opened my jar from King Arthur yet.

#10 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

View Post

Nope, not a good smell. It smells like ammonia. Not an overpowering, burn the hair out of your nose ammonia but definitely ammonia. By the time they're done the smell is gone and I've never tasted it in my cookies (or I wouldn't use it) but you can't help worrying a little the first time or two you use it.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#11 artisanbaker

artisanbaker
  • participating member
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

We used to play jokes on people with this stuff. In a phrase: there's no substitute! :) (pardon the ambiguity) ;)

#12 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

We used to play jokes on people with this stuff. In a phrase: there's no substitute! :) (pardon the ambiguity) ;)

View Post

Why am I picturing some wide-open watery eyes and furiously draining sinuses after reading this?

#13 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

You can get Baker's Amonia / Hartshorn at House on the Hill, also, and they have a nice booklet with recipes that you can get for a buck or so.

The King Arthur web site has the recipe for one of my beloved favorite cookies, the Vanilla Dream.

The texture is different, and impossible to achieve without it.

A lemon version of the Vanilla Dream is also a very nice thing.

Perhaps it's about the hardiness of the nose hairs, but I find baker's amonia burns the hair right out of my nostrils in a refreshing, too-much-wasabi sort of way.

But then, I'm a sensationalist.
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.