Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Report: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#61 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

That's cool! What other things did folks learn at the Gathering?

View Post

I learned that you dont need a microplane to grate lemon zest. All these years, I always avoided the small holes on the box grater because I never saw the zest. Little did I know, that It does come out underneath the grater. Kerry told me to put some plastic wrap on the side where the small holes were, but I never saw the zest. I turned it over and voila, it was all there. Wow, that was a total revelation to me.

Btw, I just got home from MI. Kerry and I showed up for our train on Tuesday afternoon and we were told there were NO trains running as all the tracks in MI were being worked on. They put us on a charter bus for the ride back. We spent the night in Port Huron today, did some shopping and now we're home.

I'm going to work on my pics on Friday as I have to work tomorrow.

#62 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

Some other things I learned:

Quail eggs are really hard to crack without breaking or getting shell chips into the egg. Cracking four dozen is a real hassle. So crack them into little ramekins before cooking. Better, get two pretty girls to do it for you.

Goose just doesn't taste all that great, even when you smoke the heck out of it and slice it thinly.

The Vita-Mix is one of the greatest kitchen tools imaginable and truly can pulverize anything.

Randi's Nicoise-esque salad really redefined the Nicoise possibilities for me. I'm hoping someone posts a photo because it was such a spectacular dish.

Leah and Dick distributed some informative literature about the shrimp dish they prepared. Maybe they'll post it. They also distributed a ton of literature to accompany the Niles tour.

Dave Hammond was a veritable font of information regarding the Maxwell Street Market. I'd love to get some links to work he's done on that topic and post them here.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#63 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

I posted a picture of Randi's salad way back on the first page. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

The Vita-Mix is a champ. I've brought it along to the last three Heartland Gatherings, but this is the first time it really got noticed. It sped up Alex's gazpacho process considerably, and it saved me a lot of work making the aromatic paste for the coconut sauce.

#64 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Randi's Nicoise-esque salad really redefined the Nicoise possibilities for me.

View Post

It looks very good, but how did it redefine Nicoise for you?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#65 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Ok, well since you asked.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I took the picture before I realized I'd forgotten to add the olives. Once the platters hit the tables, I ran around with the olive container and added them.

I chose to make this because I knew the produce from the farmers market would be top notch( and expensive!!). I used baby arugula for the base. I saw those gorgeous french breakfast radishes and decided to use those instead of tomatoes ( cause I dont like raw tomatoes). I also bought heirloom fingerling potatoes( an assortment). There was this one stand that had great potatoes, I wish I'd taken a pic of the stand. I brought homeade tarragon vinegar( white wine) from home and used that along with a shallot( thanks Kerry), dijon vinegar and 365 brand EVOO from Whole Foods.

The biggest departure from a traditional nicoise was my use of swordfish. I dont care for raw tuna and I LOVE swordfish( and its pretty scarce where I live). I used McCormick's seafood spice( it came with its own grinder)( thanks to Hwa for bringing all those great spices) and some oil. I grilled it along with Fresser's help and let it sit at room temp until it was ready to plate.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. I'm not sure how I'll top that next year.

Edited by CaliPoutine, 13 August 2008 - 05:35 PM.

#66 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

While I was helping Randi prep for her dessert I realized I hadn't handled a clingstone peach for years -- those delightful little buggers were hell to section.

I further realized that I hadn't made Salade Nicoise for way too long -- thanks to Randi's inspiration we made it Monday night.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#67 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,389 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'll start with a couple of pictures from the chocolate workshop.

Posted Image

Rona (prasantrin)making little piles of the spiced nuts that Beth (Marmish) served us. She then went on to put some dulce de leche on top and topped with tempered chocolate.

Posted Image

Our little mess. We cruelly left most of the cleanup for Beth.

#68 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

Here are a few pics to start.

Posted Image
Kerry and Rona

We loved the Spice House. So much so that Kerry and I went a second time because we forgot a few things.

Posted Image
CI's Peach Blueberry Crisp before baking.

Posted Image

NYokie6's husband( Ron) fresser, lucky girl, nyokie6

Posted Image
This was the best cheese plate I've ever eaten. We need to convince NyOkie6 to visit Paris again next year before the gathering. She also bought some amazing butter made with the whey leftover from making Parmesean Reggiano. I went to Fox and Obel so I could bring some back to Canada.

Posted Image
Kris frying away, Gary, Fat Guy
Posted Image
Pigs in the blanket made by Gary.

Edited by CaliPoutine, 13 August 2008 - 06:56 PM.

#69 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

This is not a "what I learned" thing, it was reinforcing something I've known forever: Pigs in Blankets get inhaled.Fie on fancy cocktail food: PIBs rule.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#70 Fresser

Fresser
  • participating member
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image

fresser, lucky girl, nyokie6

Posted Image

This was the best cheese plate I've ever eaten.  We need to convince NyOkie6 to visit Paris again next year before the gathering.

View Post

I'd never worked before with fromage that actually had crossed Customs. It reminded me of Fat Guy's piece entitled Cheesy Does It.

I met "Pierre" at a rest area near the Canadian border at midnight. I handed him a $100 bill and he handed me a brown paper bag. "Don't you want to count it?" I quipped. He folded the bill, put it in his pocket, backed away from me (never breaking eye contact and never speaking), slid into his Pontiac Bonneville and drove back north to Quebec. I drove south for seven hours, through Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut, to my home in New York City. I drove the speed limit. I didn't want to get stopped. I was transporting illegal cheese.

If you've never read the entire piece--and find yourself in need of a belly-laugh--do so now.
There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

#71 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

This is not a "what I learned" thing, it was reinforcing something I've know forever: Pigs in Blankets get inhaled.Fie on fancy cocktail food: PIBs rule.

View Post

In my neck of the woods, PIBs are fancy cocktail food. Sheesh!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#72 Fresser

Fresser
  • participating member
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

This is not a "what I learned" thing, it was reinforcing something I've know forever: Pigs in Blankets get inhaled.Fie on fancy cocktail food: PIBs rule.

View Post

In my neck of the woods, PIBs are fancy cocktail food. Sheesh!

View Post

Damn uppity Heartlanders! :raz:

Given our luxe collection of fromages, I think a Stilton-filled puff pastry would be edible ecstasy.

Edited by Fresser, 14 August 2008 - 07:25 AM.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

#73 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,389 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

So while I was doing a few things in the kitchen on Saturday I handed my camera to Stacy - a friend of santo grace - and asked her to take pictures while we prepped and cooked. I finally had a chance to look through them tonight - and picked out a few to post. She took some wonderful pictures.

Posted Image
Early in the day - Calipoutine, prasantrin, Alex, Bob (spouse of NancyH), and Tino27 plotting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The 4 tables of revelers.

Posted Image
Ratatouille.

Posted Image
Tomato watermelon soup under construction.

Posted Image
Tammylc and Alex dishing out his wonderful concoction.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Struggles with quail eggs.

Posted Image
FG frying the quail eggs.

Posted Image
Tino27's friend laying out the bread. Edsel looking quite serious in the background.

Posted Image
The gang presiding over the ribs.

Posted Image
Ronnie's ribs.

Posted Image
Connie (white lotus) and Hwa doing some prep work.

Posted Image
Frying is serious business.

Posted Image
The proper footwear must always been worn in the kitchen.

Posted Image
Torakris and Fat Guy frying - never again to be repeated - until next time!

Posted Image
Edsel applying his spice blend to the chicken.

Posted Image
The wonderful collection of herbs brought by elfin.

Posted Image
NancyH basting her peaches. Smiling much more than while she was waiting for the
ambulance the next day.

Posted Image
Fresser with some of the cheese.

Posted Image
Calipoutine learning her new trick for grating lemon rind - thank you Cook's Illustrated!

Posted Image
Tino27's collection of breads. Aren't they gorgeous?

Posted Image
That would be me washing the overabundance of raspberries from the farmers market.

Posted Image
Had to have a couple of pictures of Rona - not to allow her to be upstaged by her mom Cecilia.

Posted Image
One of my pictures from the river architectural tour (thank you Rona for telling us about this).

Edited by Kerry Beal, 13 August 2008 - 08:21 PM.

#74 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Early in the day - Calipoutine, prasantrin, Alex, ?name not coming to me, and Tino27 plotting.

The unidentified individual is Bob, spouse of NancyH.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#75 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,389 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Early in the day - Calipoutine, prasantrin, Alex, ?name not coming to me, and Tino27 plotting.

The unidentified individual is Bob, spouse of NancyH.

View Post

Thanks for that - I was thinking Bob but didn't want to say in case I was wrong. I'll correct it.

#76 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Posted Image
The wonderful collection of herbs brought by ?

View Post

The herbs were grown and brought by the honorable elfin.

Great pics, Stacey! Thanks for posting them, Kerry.

=R=
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

#77 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image
I took the picture before I realized I'd forgotten to add the olives.  Once the platters hit the tables, I ran around with the olive container and added them.

Though the olives are missing, this photo best captures my memory of that Nicoise-ish salad. I confess I had low expectations. When I heard Randi was making a "composed salad" along the lines of a Nicoise I thought well, okay, that's a boring dish, but at least there will be some tuna. Then I heard she was using swordfish instead of tuna. I also never saw the prep for this item because I was preoccupied with being useless in various ways elsewhere. So I was totally unprepared for the sublime composition that came out to the tables.

The stars of the dish were the potatoes and radishes, though the beans and lettuces provided good support. In addition to being beautiful, everything came together with a restrained application of dressing. And the swordfish, which I believe came from Whole Foods, was juicy and an unexpectedly great complement to all the produce.

#78 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

A few more....

Posted Image
shrimp

Posted Image
creme brulee chocholates. I think these were my favorite dessert. I love them!!

Posted Image
assorted desserts

Posted Image
nxstasty's dessert(what was this called?)
Posted Image
frying away
Posted Image
stacy,( santo- grace's friend). Kerry beal
Posted Image

Edited by CaliPoutine, 14 August 2008 - 06:22 AM.

#79 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

Incredible spread of food, everyone! You all are amazing!

Cali, the salad is almost too pretty to eat--notice I said almost :biggrin:

The rib people
--gorgeous ribs--makes me want to sink my teeth into one

OH and the chicken and waffles and the pigs in blankets and the desserts and the breads and and and....*drool*

#80 nsxtasy

nsxtasy
  • participating member
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:46 AM

nxstasty's dessert(what was this called?)
Posted Image

View Post

Chocolate Velvet, from the Four Seasons in New York.

Edited by nsxtasy, 14 August 2008 - 06:47 AM.

#81 santo_grace

santo_grace
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

So while I was doing a few things in the kitchen on Saturday I handed my camera to Stacy - a friend of santo grace - and asked her to take pictures while we prepped and cooked.  I finally had a chance to look through them tonight - and picked out a few to post.  She took some wonderful pictures. 

Posted Image
Ratatouille.

Posted Image
One of my pictures from the river architectural tour (thank you Rona for telling us about this).

View Post

Stacey was very happy to take pictures.

I think the ratatouille picture is my favorite - probably because it was my favorite dish. Too good for words.

I'm so glad you all did the boat cruise. It is a great way to see Chicago and very relaxing to cruise the river.
I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

#82 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

I thought it was a fine moment when I announced the arrival of the ratatouille and couldn't remember the name of the film in which confit bayaldi had been featured.

#83 NancyH

NancyH
  • participating member
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

View Post

Take no backwards steps, and watch the sidewalk on maxwell street.

Good news - Cle Dr. says i'll be out of this sling in one week!
"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" (coined while playing with my food at Lolita).

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

#84 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:28 AM

View Post

View Post

I also learned its nice to be in a group with not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 doctors. There wasnt too much they could do, but it was comforting ( to me anyway) to know they were there!!

Edited by CaliPoutine, 14 August 2008 - 09:29 AM.

#85 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,389 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

View Post

View Post

I also learned its nice to be in a group with not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 doctors. There wasnt too much they could do, but it was comforting ( to me anyway) to know they were there!!

View Post

I actually appreciated the firefighter who was with the LTH group - lifting someone off the pavement was better done by him than any one of us docs.

#86 elfin

elfin
  • participating member
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:38 AM

What a wonderful time. We were delighted to meet the faces behind the posts. Not only great noshing but we learned a great deal about fellow gulleteers recent travels. Pigs in the Blanket are also called "Poor Mans' Beef Wellington".
What disease did cured ham actually have?
Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

#87 racheld

racheld
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

This is akin to looking at pictures at a Family Reunion, and you know how we feel about THOSE Down South. These are MY PEOPLE!!!

So, could someone---anyone, put some screen names AND real names to the first, second, once-removed and last cousins? It's such a treat to meet everyone, and I'm anxious to put face and name together.

Please---especially on the seated-at-the-family-tables pictures, with everyone looking into the lens.

And KUDOS, trumpets, flights of angelsong to everybody who worked and cooked and organized and washed dishes and deep-fried and brought all manner of manna to the proceedings.

PS---I'm delighted that Y'all are not of the anti-food-pics persuasion!!! I just LOVE this.
Fairy tea has its own magic, for it never does run out;
And the flavour you imagine will come streaming from the spout.
Fairy Tea

My Blog--Thanksgiving and Goodwill

LAWN TEA

#88 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

Speaking of food photos...

Thanks to KarenM's great photo of her dish --

Posted Image

-- we've just started a Ratatouille Cook-Off. I mean, we all gotta get us some of that!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#89 nsxtasy

nsxtasy
  • participating member
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

This is akin to looking at pictures at a Family Reunion, and you know how we feel about THOSE Down South.   These are MY PEOPLE!!!

So, could someone---anyone, put some screen names AND real names to the first, second, once-removed and last cousins?   It's such a treat to meet everyone, and I'm anxious to put face and name together.

Please---especially on the seated-at-the-family-tables pictures, with everyone looking into the lens.

View Post

I can do this for the table at which I was seated:

Posted Image

Going around the table clockwise, starting with myself at the far end in the Princeton t-shirt:

Ken - nsxtasy
Beth - HOLLY_L
Hwa - einberliner
Richard - companion of LAZ
Leah - LAZ
Hillary - hsm
Tom - nr706
Sharon - companion of nr706
Kathy - companion of nsxtasy

Edited by nsxtasy, 14 August 2008 - 11:49 AM.

#90 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

I can do this for the table at which I was seated:

Posted Image

Going around the table clockwise, starting with myself at the far end in the Princeton t-shirt:

Ken - nsxtasy
Beth - HOLLY_L
Hwa - einberliner
Richard - companion of LAZ
Leah - LAZ
Hillary - hsm
Tom - nr706
Sharon - companion of nr706
Kathy - companion of nsxtasy

View Post

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site