Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide"

Modernist Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

2. Is this book worth it for a home cook who has experience with sous vide? I have read that TK's temperatures aren't recommended, but I know enough to go off of what I prefer/learned. It is the other recipe ideas, techniques, and nuances I'm hoping to pick up.

What do you think?

Honestly I would say no, it's not a must have book. I'm a huge Keller fan, but even though it's only 5 years old this book seems dated when it comes to sous vide cookery.  Better information is now available on the internet on sites like this and chefsteps, and modernist cuisine is several orders of magnitude better for cook times/temps IMHO

Edited by Twyst, 05 January 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#92 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

So the recipes aren't very good/there isn't much to take away from them?

#93 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

So the recipes aren't very good/there isn't much to take away from them?

I had (and still have) access to the book even though I don't own it. I think you will be very disappointed with it. Just my opinion.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#94 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

I think this book was a ( visual ) stunner when it was published.  it had a lot of information not easy to come by back then.

now not so much.  F.D.:  I got the book 'used' very cheaply when I began to look into SV.  it was brand new as 'used'

maybe your library has one? or if you really have the 'itch' look for used.

id does point out that the ingredients TK uses might make all the difference w experiencing what's on your plate with these Rx's

Edited by rotuts, 05 January 2014 - 10:46 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist, Cookbook