Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Substitute for Aji Amarillo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fugu

Fugu
  • participating member
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

During one of my grocery walks I found aji panca, one of the main ingredients of anitcucho marinade, but there was no aji amarillo. Could anyone tell me a reasonable substitute for this pepper's specific flavour profile, with little change to the taste of authentic anticucho? I also found some rocoto paste, would this do?

Thanks

#2 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

There's really no substitute for the aji amarillo that I know of. The aji rocoto is a notch or two hotter than the aji amarillo, with a different flavor, so it is not a good substitute.

Various online purveyors sell the dried chiles. I've done business with Gourmetsleuth for cooking utensils, not chiles, & they were fine. http://www.gourmetsl...ndex=A&tid=2417

#3 Adam Balic

Adam Balic
  • participating member
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:14 PM

I've got some growing and while it isn't a perfect substitute, you could try habanero. Both are quite fruity, although the habanero has more apricot/fruit and the Aji is more grassy.

#4 Fugu

Fugu
  • participating member
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

If I am unable to source out the aji amarillo locally, I'll just wing it. I'll try habanero first or perhaps a mixture of other sweet pepper. I'll try removing the seeds and membranes and soaking the habanero in milk to lower the heat a little.

#5 Alex Botero-Lowry

Alex Botero-Lowry
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

Growing up, my dad always used the Hungarian wax peppers as a suitable, if not perfect, substitute. Having subsequently had the chance to try the real thing, i think the substitute is reasonable. It has the similar grassy flavor and the heat levels are fairly close.