Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Eye 'O Round – Hopeless?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Lilija

Lilija
  • participating member
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

I made the roast, today, using the CI method listed here... it came out very well, considering I screwed it up beyond recognition.

Cut the roast lengthwise, last night, rubbed, and wrappeed it up. Seared it in a black pan, today, put the meat thermometer in, set it for 105, and popped it in the oven at 250. (I didn't have all night, I figured it would be low enough and still work out). First off, it smelled delicious, very rich and beefy. No other seasonings besides the salt, and really that's all it needed.

Here's the fail part...apparently, my thermometer doesn't do well below a certain temperature, so every time I looked in on it it only registered "Lo" which means it's about 20 degrees colder than the coolest setting. Ok...fine...but boy it was taking a while to come to temperature. After an hour, I took it out and stared good and hard at the thing, and I'm thinking "this looks...done. More than done." Sure enough, I jiggled and poked the thermometer, and 155F popped up >.<

So, yeah, I way overcooked it. It was evenly brown and lovely outside, but just a hint of pink at the ends, and maybe med-well in the center. Sigh... It looked like it was gonna be leathery, so I made a fast bernaise.

Let me just say, if you folks ever doubted that CI recipe, don't. Even my WAY the hell overcooked doorstop came out tender and lovely, rich, beefy, flavorful. Not dry, either. Not drippingly bloody and juicy like I like...but not dry, amazingly enough. It was a little chewy, but not tough or stringy. Amazing. It tasted a lot like well done prime rib, believe it or not!

Definitely a keeper. Now I have to find another eye round, to try and do this the right way, I can only imagine!

#32 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,880 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

Finally got around to the test of combining CI's method with sous vide. Trimmed some of the big fat cap, left enough for later. Salted for 24 hours, bagged and cooked at 58 C for about 36 hours. Cooled and browned off on the Big Green Egg.

It'a a winner! I might actually use 55 C next time - I was allowing for my husband complaining about the pink.

DSCN3199.jpg

DSCN3211.jpg

DSCN3213.jpg

DSCN3215.jpg

#33 Goatjunky

Goatjunky
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Salt Roasted Beef

This is for a 3 to 4 lb roast

1 clove garlic minced
1 1/2 tblsp prepared mustard
1 1/2 tblsp chili sauce
1 tblsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cloves
1 cup salt

Mix all together into a paste, if too crumbly add more chili sauce. I put my roast on a foil lined rimmed baking
Sheet. Spread the mixture over the exposed surface. Cook at 500 10-12 mins a lb for rare, 12 to 15 mins for well, and if you insist 15 to 20 mins per lb for well. After its rested tap the crust off and remove.

#34 KaffeeKlatsch

KaffeeKlatsch
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

Just made myself feel old by realizing that I've been doing this for 30 years. It's similar to the high heat method linked earlier. I thoroughly coat the outside with a dry rub. Originally, I was taught to use garlic salt, lemon pepper, & paprika. I moved on from that blend years ago. Preheat oven to 500. Place roast in oven for 5 (med-rare) to 7 (med) minutes per pound. Turn oven off, but leave roast in for exactly 1 hour. It's good the first night but really shines after being chilled & thinly sliced for roast beef sandwiches.

#35 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

EOR makes some good beef jerky

#36 Lupinus

Lupinus
  • participating member
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Saurbratten perhaps?

#37 John McNeilly

John McNeilly
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hi thanks, this sounds like an interesting technique. Question: when you say sit another 30 mins in the oven did you mean with the temperature turned off?

thanks!

#38 ScoopKW

ScoopKW
  • participating member
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

I love it when EOR goes on deep discount. Jerky time!
Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

#39 Inksmith

Inksmith
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

Allrecipes.com has an interesting recipe with a slew of 5-star reviews. Purportedly juicy and tender, but no remarks on flavor.

http://allrecipes.co...ast/Detail.aspx

#40 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

The allrecipes method is intriguing because I wonder if the high heat serves the function of the initial sear in the CI recipe, thus saving a step / a dirty pan...

#41 Marya D.

Marya D.
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

I've had this recipe sitting around for some time. It seems as though it is a more dramatic presentation Of the CI recipe:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees

6# kosher salt
1 bunch thyme, roughly chopped
3T cracked black pepper
1c egg whites (from about 7 large eggs)
1 5# beef eye-of-round, trimmed

Make a froth of the eggs then fold in the salt
Slather the salt mixture on the roast, coating well.
Roast for 3/4 of an hour
Let the roast rest undisturbed in it's shell for 20 minutes then crack open
Remove the meat, Loosely tent and rest for another 10 minutes

I don't know if I can tell you where I got this from, because of copyright, but it is on the inter-tubes, I promise. (Yea, it's that one site, the one that you just mentioned!)
At nearly $3.00/doz for eggs and $5.00 for a box of koshering salt, it would add considerably to the cost of the Round. Might as well use a better cut of meat at that point.

edtd for copyright concerns.

Edited by Marya D., 15 June 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#42 Baron d'Apcher

Baron d'Apcher
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Secca. Air-dried Randall-Lineback eye of round in beef middle. Natural bloom without starter.

Posted Image

#43 mache

mache
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

We purchase an uncured pastrami from DaBecca that is wonderful and they use Eye of Round. You could use a wet corned beef cure for first round and then cook/smoke it using the CI method. If you get anything near the DaBecca product, it will be amazing.

-- Mache

#44 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

I make corned beef with top round cooked sous vide. Not fatty but still moist and tender.