Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Macarons – Baking

Confections

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 laurasaur

laurasaur
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Wow thanks to this thread I finally conquered my fear of macaroons! I followed the David Lebowitz recipe, left them out for 30 minutes, used egg whites that had been in the fridge for 3 days and then brought to room temp, and these babies are what I turned out with.

Chocolate Macarons on my website

I freaked out that they were stuck to the tray but after 10 minutes they just peeled right off. I am very happy, and they are so yum, I just need to make the mix a bit thinner next time I think.

#62 patris

patris
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

I'm making macarons for a baby shower this weekend and planning to fill them with black raspberry jam. I have very little experience with macarons, and I'm wondering what effect, if any, the water content of a jam filling has on the shells - do I need to do something to 'seal' the bottoms before I fill, or can I just let them go commando? The shower is Sunday, and I was planning to fill the macarons Saturday night and pop them in the fridge. Is this ok, or will they go mushy or something?

Any help from those with more experience would be soooo appreciated.
Patty

#63 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

I'm making macarons for a baby shower this weekend and planning to fill them with black raspberry jam. I have very little experience with macarons, and I'm wondering what effect, if any, the water content of a jam filling has on the shells - do I need to do something to 'seal' the bottoms before I fill, or can I just let them go commando? The shower is Sunday, and I was planning to fill the macarons Saturday night and pop them in the fridge. Is this ok, or will they go mushy or something?

Any help from those with more experience would be soooo appreciated.

Not that I've got a whole lot more experience - but I do notice that some recipes call for brushing the shells with syrup - so I suspect that jam would be fine.

#64 cookin4acravin

cookin4acravin
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

I am making macarons later this week I was wondering why when I beat my egg whites with the dried ones they never mix in. I always end up with clumps of dampened egg white powder that doesn't mix into the whipped egg whites. Does the speed you whip your egg whites matter in making macarons? Also is drying with a blow dryer like a poster before going to make my piped macarons spread everywhere? Lastly is the macaronage in this video the proper way to make macarons? I was thinking it is only "beatable" that hard in certain recipes that make a thicker/firmer batter. BTW I'm using the french macaron method via http://cannelle-vani...carons-and.html

Edited by cookin4acravin, 25 October 2009 - 12:38 PM.

#65 QbanCrackr

QbanCrackr
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

So i finally had my first attempt at macarons....after doing some reading, i've got my own...self-diagnosis you could say as to my 2-3 problems that i see right now

First off, i dont think i beat the batter enough, as you see the trails didn't settle from the piping process. On top of that, should I rotate my pans mid-bake to get a uniform finish? as you see in these pics some of them the bottoms didn't cook correctly so they ripped off when i tried to separate them. Some others the bottom is very soft, it'd most likely crack when i sandwiched them together.

I'm putting some pictures, feel free to critique and criticize my work, its the only way for me to get better

this is my recipe

210g powdered sugar
100g almond flour**
100g egg whites
50g granulated sugar

**I used almond flour i bought at whole foods, i sifted it so itd be finer, but i found myself losing quite a bit of material between the fine flour and the larger pieces of almond that weren't ground. are those ok to use? i'm worried they'll affect the smooth look i'm looking to achieve on the macaron

thanks in advance
-d

Attached Images

• IMG_0329.JPG
  • IMG_0330.JPG
  • IMG_0331.JPG
  • IMG_0332.JPG
  • IMG_0333.JPG
  • IMG_0334.JPG
  • IMG_0335.JPG
  • IMG_0336.JPG

Danny

#66 runwestierun

runwestierun
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

I am wondering if anyone has tried making macarons with duck eggs? I bake with them regularly because they make my baked goods fluffier. Duck egg white has more albumin/gram than chicken egg white. My ducks only lay in the spring but if it's a good idea I bet I could find some eggs at Whole Foods.

Have you heard of anyone trying this?

#67 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

If I'm grinding my own almonds to make the flour, do I need do dry it for a bit in the oven?

#68 Simonne

Simonne
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

RE : Storing Macaron in Fridge
My Macaron becomes sticky after taking them out from fridge. Any suggestion how can i solve this "sticky". If the humidity in the fridge is an issue,would putting a silica gel in the container with macaron helps?

Pls help me and thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections