Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Macarons – Baking

Confections

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 greenbean

greenbean
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

Try this link. It has a great deal of information about macarons. The recipes are by weight and scalable.

#32 adey73

adey73
  • participating member
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

I always wondered about using pasteurised egg and putting them in a dehydrater on the highest heat over night.

Anyone tried this?
“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

#33 thecoffeesnob

thecoffeesnob
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:44 AM

Does anyone have a good recipe for French Macaroons that uses weight measure, not volume?  Plain almond or chocolate would be great.

Although any good recipe would be appreciated... Have been using Martha Stewart's recipe from MS Baking, and they're good, but ...

Thanks!...and no calories, right????

View Post

I use this recipe and it works for me every time. It uses the Italian meringue method- cooking a sugar syrup over the stove before pouring it into the egg whites- which i prefer to just beating the egg whites till stiff peaks form.

I've always wanted to try Martha's recipe out but was a bit skeptical. I can't wait to try it now that i know it works :smile:
One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

#34 Saffy

Saffy
  • participating member
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:26 AM

After stumbling across a picture of macarons on the net and just having rediscovered cooking and baking after a long hiatus, this is going to be my project for the weekend.

I have all the ingredients sitting waiting in my kitchen .. now all I need is some time to play!

I thought I might start small with vanilla and strawberry macarons.. and hopefully my oven ( which is a little erratic ) will behave itself.

Wish me luck :)

#35 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

I'm pretty sure it was moisture that made yesterdays batch fail. It was raining outside and I belive a proper "skin" never formed. Today I used a hair dryer to ensure a proper skin and everything worked perfectly.

View Post

I'm coming to this thread very late aren't I! Never even saw it. Tsk. I'd say TheSwede's first batch was undermixed. That's been the cause when I've seen such porous shells before. In my experience, humidity causes rapid softening of the cooked shells, but not this sort of porous-shell problem.
-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham
The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine
Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

#36 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:23 AM

Hi there,
Do you have any idea how to use cracked macarons, i was thinking of griding them again and using in a batter maybe for dacquoise or something similar. Ill sure give it a try and post my result.

View Post

I wrote about turning them into a delicious trifle-like delight here. Otherwise I just eat them as soft biscuits, sometimes dipped in coffee or hot chocolate.
The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

#37 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:30 AM

I've never made macaron, so I have nothing to contribute technique-wise, but...

I just had a sansho macaron and it was awesome! Sansho-infused chocolate ganache filling with some ground sansho in the shells. Mmmmm.... I bet a Szechuan peppercorn one would be even better! So if anyone wants to try a new and interesting flavour, I'd vote for that! And I'd even be willing to be your taste tester!

But they'd have to be served at the end of a meal, because they'd pretty much kill your tastebuds for anything else...

#38 Truc

Truc
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

has anyone tried the foir gras macaron at pierre herme?

Edited by Truc, 25 October 2008 - 12:09 PM.

#39 Baggy

Baggy
  • participating member
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

I might be a few months late, but check out this link for Pierre Hermé making macarons with almond paste.

#40 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:29 AM

I remember a while back that someone (Schneich?) posted a tip for getting your macarons to come off of the parchment paper after baking. I never quite understood what they meant by wetting the bottom of the paper. The 2nd video from Patiss.com demonstrates the technique at 4:20 on the video counter. First, it appears that it is intended for parchment and not silpat. Simply lift the parchment from the tray, spritz with water and let the moisture release the macarons. I can't tell from the video if they mean to spritz a hot tray or after it cools? Anyone know?

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#41 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

I can't tell from the video if they mean to spritz a hot tray or after it cools?  Anyone know?

View Post

You would spritz the hot tray. The idea is to soften the stuck, sticky bits. Leave the parchment to get too damp, however, and the macarons will begin to dissolve. As with so much about macarons, the utility of this technique depends on how your oven cooks macarons. If one's macarons have very very sticky bottoms (typically happens if heat below the tray is weak), then wetting the parchment may not help removal much.

#42 Peggylicious26

Peggylicious26
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

How long will filled/unfilled macaroons keep?
I'd love to make some basil macaroon shells but don't know what to use in flavoring the macaroon batter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#43 Truc

Truc
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

hey guys i finally got the chance to make macarons a few weeks back and finally got the time to post them. Sorry i dun know how to post pix on here but check them out on here.

link below

#44 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:46 AM

How long will filled/unfilled macaroons keep?
I'd love to make some basil macaroon shells but don't know what to use in flavoring the macaroon batter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

View Post

In the fridge, filled macarons will keep for about a week in reasonable condition (the shells may become softer). Unfilled, they do keep for longer, but become increasingly chewy.

Try to bring filled macarons up to room temperature in a sealed container if it's humid outside.

Flavouring shells can be difficult because they aren't great flavour vehicles. Citrus peel works well, as do some essences, but many spices and herbs will just dissipate.

#45 Piglit

Piglit
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:00 AM

I got on a cheap budget flight the other day (i.e no food served), and whilst waiting to board, noticed a woman with a familiar looking Laduree bag. I decided not to look. Afterall, it couldn't contian real macarons, as we were in a country >15 hours away from France!

Once we board, I realise that not only is the bag filled with delectible piles of almondy goodness, nor that she's sitting in the same row as me, but she ate them one by one with a pleasant smile on her face. I was slowly and painfully losing consiousness in my seat as their smell wafted about the cabin.

If there was one redeeming thing..... it was once we touched down in Cambodia, I stumbled upon a little store which happened to be selling, of all things, macarons!
Have a look at these chocolate and pistachio masterpieces (as excuse the thumb!):

Posted Image

They looked delicious (even the feet) and came in a variety of interesting flavours. Only downside was that upon biting into these, one would believe they were eating cake, not macaron. The consistency did not even resemble a bad macaron. It was not in any way tough or chewey, or even crumbly, it was just like a moist chocolate mud cake. Any theories as to why? Could it be additional wheat flour?

Edited by Piglit, 29 December 2008 - 07:52 AM.

#46 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:28 AM

Anyone experimented with savoury macaroons like these?
http://www.playingwi...he-macaron.html

#47 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

I wish she'd posted her recipe, but since she didn't mention it, I have to assume that she used the regular amount of sugar. I've had quite a few savory macaroons here in France, where they're very trendy as mise en bouche in restaurants. Without exception I found them much too sweet to qualify as a savory, even though I like sucré/salé a lot. The weirdest one was black olive, which was really sweet and briny at the same time.

I've been assuming that it's a structural issue, that you need the sugar to get the cookie part right, but I think it's pretty peculiar.

#48 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:46 AM

They looked delicious (even the feet) and came in a variety of interesting flavours.  Only downside was that upon biting into these, one would believe they were eating cake, not macaron.  The consistency did not even resemble a bad macaron.  It was not in any way tough or chewey, or even crumbly, it was just like a moist chocolate mud cake.  Any theories as to why?  Could it be additional wheat flour?

View Post

One of two causes: an overly moist filling when filled, or horrendous humidity. Either of those render macarons squidgy, even if they still look robust and multi-textured.

#49 Sivert

Sivert
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

First post from a lurker...

I love macarons. Pierre Hermé and Lenotre are my favorites, especially the interesting flavors. Paulette in Los Angelos is very good, also.

Here's the problem: my wife is deathly allergic to nuts. She only became so about 8 years ago, and previously we both enjoyed these little gems.

So, last time I was in Paris, I asked in some baking supply shops about ideas for alternative flours.

I have tried using ground pumpkin seed. Besides tasting bad, they had no volume. While they came out with feet, and looked great, they soon went flat.

I am thinking of trying a really fine cornmeal with a slightly salted carmel filling.

Ideas...?
"Gourmandism is an act of judgment, by which we give preference to those things which are agreeable to our taste over those which are not."
- Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

#50 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

I am thinking of trying a really fine cornmeal with a slightly salted carmel filling.

View Post

My immediate reaction is that the cornmeal doesn't absorb liquid quickly enough or in the same manner as almond meal, probably resulting at the very least in something pretty gritty. Your wife is allergic to all nuts?

#51 Sivert

Sivert
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

Wow, well the last month has been absolutely crazy.
I did try the cornmeal macarons. I made a caramel-sea-salt-buttercream.
They were Ok - we ate them. But the cookie part was indeed very gritty. Unpleasant texture.
Posted Image

I think I either need to use some finer cornmeal or, more likely, some other flour.

Yes, she's allergic to all nuts. Pine nuts and Sesame are ok - but I think they are too oily for this.
"Gourmandism is an act of judgment, by which we give preference to those things which are agreeable to our taste over those which are not."

#52 David Lebovitz

David Lebovitz
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:33 AM

You could try taking finely-pulverized pine nuts or peanuts and drying them in a very low oven to get as much of the moisture out as possible, then proceeding. Because their flavors are strong, you also might want to cut them with some corn or potato starch as well.

#53 Sivert

Sivert
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

Thanks. I'll try that.

btw, I was in SF last week - I had delicious Macarons at Slanted Door. One was lavender and (I think) strawberry. The other was Lychee and raspberry. Delicious. Very near to Pierre Herme.

#54 leoni

leoni
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:21 AM

Hi guys, I've read almost every macaron article online as well as in this forum, but after many attempts my closest to macaron success has resulted in this:

Posted Image

The main problem is that they are tilting. The recipe is the french style macarons, NOT the italian meringue using the hard/soft ball method. I used the recipe from syrup and tang for this one. I did a google search for "macarons tilt during baking" and I read that someone said it was because of undermixing. I thought about it and it made a bit of sense that if after piping the batter the macaron mix did not ooze into a dome it probably was undermixed. So I began mixing the batter more (and this time I may have used medium peaks instead of stiff peaks for the egg whites) and all the attempts resulted in cracking macarons (all of these were used with egg whites ages for atleast 24 hours and they formed into a dome shape). The cracks I'm referring to are more like fissures, a single crack and the "foot," which is supposed to push from the bottom, actually oozes out from the fissure. You can kind of see this happening in the bottom left macarons on my pan.

If anyone has any suggestions I would HIGHLY appreciate it! Thanks so much!

#55 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:27 AM

What kind of oven are you using? Are you using a convection? It kind of looks like they're being blown over (caveat: I've never made macarons).

#56 leoni

leoni
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:56 AM

What kind of oven are you using?  Are you using a convection?  It kind of looks like they're being blown over (caveat:  I've never made macarons).

View Post

conventional oven

65g almond meal (bobs red mill)
80g confectioner's (walmart brand, I know, I'll use better qualty when I nail it)
40g superfine granulated sugar
50g egg white (no powdered but aged atleast 24 hours)

#57 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:33 AM

Try without confectioners sugar - I wonder if the cornstarch in it is the cause of your problem?

#58 leoni

leoni
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

Try without confectioners sugar - I wonder if the cornstarch in it is the cause of your problem?

View Post

So should I try unadulterated or just replace confectioner's with regular granulated/castor sugar?

I've been thinking about it alot lately. Aging eggwhites and whipping eggwhites to stiffer peaks make the domes stronger, to prevent cracking across the domes, but my cracks lately in my latest attempt were holes from the side... perhaps it has something to do with the heating process.

Either I need to add bakingsheets DIRECTLY (I've been putting the baking sheets a rack below) below the macaron sheet, or take them all away all together....

#59 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

View Post

So should I try unadulterated or just replace confectioner's with regular granulated/castor sugar?

I've been thinking about it alot lately. Aging eggwhites and whipping eggwhites to stiffer peaks make the domes stronger, to prevent cracking across the domes, but my cracks lately in my latest attempt were holes from the side... perhaps it has something to do with the heating process.

Either I need to add bakingsheets DIRECTLY (I've been putting the baking sheets a rack below) below the macaron sheet, or take them all away all together....

View Post

Try replacing with regular sugar - all the recipes I've had success with make the tante pour tante with fine sugar and almond flour ground together. The viscosity of the mixture is 'like magma' when you've added enough of the whites in the final mix.

#60 lamington

lamington
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:28 AM

The cracks I'm referring to are more like fissures, a single crack and the "foot," which is supposed to push from the bottom, actually oozes out from the fissure. You can kind of see this happening in the bottom left macarons on my pan.

If anyone has any suggestions I would HIGHLY appreciate it! Thanks so much!

View Post

In my experience, the usual cause for this phenomenon is high heat below, weak heat above. The batter breaks through the shell because it isn't hard enough at the time when the expansion of the batter occurs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections