Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The snack you just cannot put down

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#61 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Just a spritz??? what fun is that???

load me up with butter to my elbows!!!!

#62 Domestic Goddess

Domestic Goddess
  • participating member
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

You said it HummingbirdK, load it up with butter! Popcorn that is :biggrin:

I hear you about chicharones. In the Philippines we call pork rinds, chicharon. You buy them fresh from Lapid's and then you hug the warm bag close to you, smelling all the salty, porky goodness and then go crazy in the car. I love it dipped in rice vinegar with some chopped bird chilis and onion..
Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

#63 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

Oh Gawd.......gimme a bag of chicharrones (fried pig skin) with some limes and chile powder...and a cold Modelo especial......

But I can also manage to chow down on cheeto's and cheez-its.
On the healthier side...A bowl of freshly popped pop corn....and not those hideious micro wave products. I mean REAL popcorn popped in the traditional fashion. lightly salted.....maybe a spritz of real butter  :wacko:

View Post

OK, so how do you spritz real butter? I have scars up and down my right arm from working an old fashioned popcorn popper when I was a kid working in a fabled amusement park (spits of hot oil, don'tcha know), and I never did figure out how to do that! :laugh:
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#64 phlox

phlox
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

Tostitos Hint of Lime chips with guacamole.

I'm helpless.
"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

#65 chefsteban

chefsteban
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

I stand by my spritzing of butter on my popcorn..if Hummingbirdkiss wants to have a muffin top...well she may have to change her nick to Orcakiss..... :wink:

Edited by chefsteban, 20 April 2008 - 10:05 AM.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,
we grow old because we stop playing"

#66 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

Add another vote for Cheese-Its! 

I rarely buy them, but last week a box "fell" into my cart . . . Fortunately, it turns out my two kittens are also Cheese-Its fans, so technically I did not eat the whole box myself.  :raz:

View Post

Every Christmas I make the original Chex party mix for my family which includes Cheez-Its. My niece would always search through the mix for the Cheez-Its and eat every one of them. So one year I bought the large box of Cheez-Its from Costco and mixed them with the butter-seasoning mixture from the Chex Party Mix and baked it for the same amount of time as the Chex Mix.
When I gave her the Cheez-Its she went beserk, to put it kindly. It's my yearly tradition for her now.
I do the same thing with the vat 'o' cashews you can buy at Costco for her mother. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#67 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:23 PM

Cheetos, the puffy kind, are fake cheese crack for me. Cheese flavoured Pringles are a very close second. I've been very good lately...haven't bought either in months.

#68 sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass
  • participating member
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:56 PM

I just found soy and wasabi almonds at WalMart. Bad mistake.

Oreos, Cheetohs (alternating between the puffy kind and the crunchy kind), almond M&M's (luckily I can't find those very often), fresh cherries, avocadoes.

My name is Sparrow and I have a snack problem.
sparrowgrass

#69 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

I stand by my spritzing of butter on my popcorn..if Hummingbirdkiss wants to have a muffin top...well she may have to change her nick to Orcakiss..... :wink:

View Post

Silly Chef lucky you are out of my reach! ...no muffin tops for me!!! but the butter is the reason I eat popcorn at all it is just a vehicle to get it to my mouth! :raz:

#70 pax

pax
  • participating member
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Popcorn, Indiana's Summertime Bar-be-que Popcorn. The whole bag. Posted Image
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

#71 Dukeofyork

Dukeofyork
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

Liquorice Allsorts (especially the Bassett's brand). Open the bag, and before you know it, they're all gone, except for the awful chocolate ones.

I find dried figs to act the same way.

I no longer buy either, needless to say!

#72 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

Popcorn, Indiana's Summertime Bar-be-que Popcorn.  The whole bag.  Posted Image

View Post

Ok, just had to note -- that is seriously the best emoticon ever! LOVE IT!!!!

#73 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

Liquorice Allsorts (especially the Bassett's brand).  Open the bag, and before you know it, they're all gone, except for the awful chocolate ones.

I find dried figs to act the same way.

I no longer buy either, needless to say!

View Post

LOVE the chocolate, HATE the ones with the blue sprinkles...
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#74 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

I don't know if this qualifies as a snack, but it's a snack to me, so...

The other night I made homemade sausage rolls, intending to bake them off, then save them for snacks at work. Fresh out of the oven they smelled soooooo good, I just had to have one...two...three...

I did manage to save 6 for the next day, but they were gone by the time I left for work (7am)!

#75 ermintrude

ermintrude
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

Pork Scratchings - a heart attack in a packet but so moreish.

Or if I've pork skin at home then it's turn it into crackling and eat the lot.

Edited by ermintrude, 23 April 2008 - 10:07 AM.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

#76 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:32 AM

ok this is not ready to eat really but really I can sit and eat them until I am sick

roasted new potatoes cold out of the fridg with salt

cold prawns

#77 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

Pork Scratchings - a heart attack in a packet but so moreish.

View Post

OK, just what is Pork Scratchings? I've managed to figure out some of the snacks that I'm unfamiliar with but you've got me stumped. I was thinking cracklings but you listed that too. Pigs feet?

#78 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

ok this is not ready to eat really but really I can sit and eat them until I am sick

cold prawns

View Post

I do that with Chinese take-out, leftovers never make it to the next day. Ditto with fresh pico de gallo I have to make twice as much as I really need.

#79 chefsteban

chefsteban
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

cold prawns

View Post

awwww hell...there ain't nothing that comes out of the refridge that can top cold pizza, especially for breakfast!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old,
we grow old because we stop playing"

#80 feedmec00kies

feedmec00kies
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

awwww hell...there ain't nothing that comes out of the refridge that can top cold pizza, especially for breakfast!

View Post

And according to that Home Ec video from 7th or 8th grade, it makes a balanced breakfast too! :wink:
"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."
- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

#81 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

I don't know if this qualifies as a snack, but it's a snack to me, so...

The other night I made homemade sausage rolls, intending to bake them off, then save them for snacks at work.  Fresh out of the oven they smelled soooooo good, I just had to have one...two...three...

I did manage to save 6 for the next day, but they were gone by the time I left for work (7am)!

View Post

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks, Rona, I really needed a laugh today.

(Last week, I intentionally made some extra food in order to share with an elderly bachelor friend who doesn't cook much. But unfortunately by the time I got around to make the delivery, all of the containers were empty. This is an ongoing problem in our house . . . . )

#82 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

The cookies that I can't have in my cupboard (lest I eat them all at once) are Biscoff.  I think they're my favorite ever!

#83 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

The cookies that I can't have in my cupboard (lest I eat them all at once) are Biscoff.  I think they're my favorite ever!

Interesting. I don't like the Biscoff cookies, but I make a shortbread type of cookie using Biscoff spread that is one of my favorite cookies.

I've never been a big fan of Oreos, I find the cookie to be flavorless and I'm not crazy about the filling. (There really is no accounting for tastes.) I like the Trader Joe's knockoffs better.

I think the original Oreos were made with beef suet, not lard.

But the unfortunate truth is that whatever packet of cookies happens to be in my cabinet, I will polish them off just like that, even if I don't think they're particularly great. :raz:

• catdaddy likes this

#84 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

Cheese

Almond Butter (Maranatha roasted natural)

Almonds

Redi Wip

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#85 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Crystallized ginger!
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#86 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Crystallized ginger!

Oh yes. Worst thing I ever did was working out how to make it.

#87 odalisay

odalisay
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Chips(any brand & flavor) & ice cream. Someone's both at the same time. My favorite chip topping on any ice cream is Cheetos flamin hot chips. Mmmm......

#88 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Oh yes. Worst thing I ever did was working out how to make it.

Yeah. I thought about trying. I believe Andie gave us a recipe. But I have to consider the consequences of being able to make it. And when Kerry Beal makes it and dips it in dark chocolate -- oy vey. Better I stick to buying it from Trader Joe's which I only visit every few months.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#89 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

Yeah. I thought about trying. I believe Andie gave us a recipe. But I have to consider the consequences of being able to make it. And when Kerry Beal makes it and dips it in dark chocolate -- oy vey. Better I stick to buying it from Trader Joe's which I only visit every few months.

You lot are leading me down a bad, bad path. What makes it worse is that last night, for the very first time, I tasted a deep-fried Snickers Bar. Oh, my. :wub:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#90 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

Pistachios. Most other kinds of nuts if they're floating around. Some kinds of chips can be a problem: a good salt and vinegar chip, Kettle's chilli-flavoured offering, a good deal of the Red Rock range (Red Rock being a local response, I guess, to Kettle). Good olives. Cured pork goods.

Also, for serious, did I just read that you can top icecream with Cheetos? I don't even know how to respond to that. The horror, the horror.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between