Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The snack you just cannot put down

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#31 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

If you give me a bag of anything, I can eat the whole thing in one sitting. I'm not picky, and that's why I try not to buy snacks. But I am especially fond of Old Dutch Bar-B-Q potato chips and corn chips.

#32 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Have any of you tried Dove's Unconditional Chocolate Ice Cream? It has a layer of ganache on top and lots of bits of crisp chocolate throughout. I've had two pints in the last week. I can't go down the ice cream aisle anymore.

And, with baseball season upon us, Hostess Baseballs. They're seasonal. If they came in packs of a dozen, instead of just two, I could polish off all twelve. I've yet to have a pack yet this year...in fact, I haven't seen them anywhere. Could they, would they, dare think of discontinuing them? I shiver at the thought.
kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"
Weebl

#33 feedmec00kies

feedmec00kies
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

I'm also very bad around jars of good dill pickles--even though I know my ankles will be like dirigibles the next day.

View Post

Mmm, pickles. Although, for me it's specifically good half-sours. When I used to take violin lessons in high school in Brooklyn, we'd stop by a Russian market that only sold smoked, dried, or cured fish. We'd get a container of half-sours, and 2 whole brined herrings, and almost consume the whole container of pickles immediately.

Oh yes, then I have to add brined herring to the list (the pickled stuff with vinegar in jars just doesn't cut it). Mmmmmm. The weekends we brought back herring were happy ones indeed, for all in my family! My dad would fillet and skin them, and then slice the fillets into pieces 1-inch across. And everyone would sit around watching and trying to steal pieces as soon as they were ready.

smoked salmon.  don't laugh.  whatever I buy, I eat the first day, slowly but surely throughout the day until it's gone.

View Post

Mmmm. Smoked salmon, lox, gravlax... But then again, if I sat around waiting to eat brined herring, I guess smoked salmon/lox wouldn't be too far behind, eh? Especially since my parents would buy whole salmon when it was cheap and use one half of it to make gravlax. I remember waiting eagerly for it to be ready to eat. And again, being impatient as my father sliced it.

Dammit, now I'm hungry for smoked/cured/brined fish. :sad:
"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."
- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

#34 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:26 AM

combo's and pringles are to coin an old" Weight Watcher term " RED LIGHT foods for me. I can't stop eating them so I dont buy them.

#35 Big Bunny

Big Bunny
  • participating member
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

Cashews.

BB
Food is all about history and geography.

#36 Verjuice

Verjuice
  • participating member
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

All of the above--- if available. Consequently, I never go shopping while hungry, and I don't buy snack food.

Also, I am in awe of people who can keep things like bowls of cold bing cherries, ripe triple-creme cheeses, tupperware containers of tarragon chicken salad, leftover mac and cheese, gorgonzola-stuffed olives and freshly-ground peanut butter in their fridge--- without feeling the urge to consume them immediately. I need to keep food around that requires a bit of effort to produce, or I'll just eat it.

The only thing I can inexplicably keep around the house and not be tempted by is chocolate.

#37 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

I guess I should mention that there is one type of ice cream that will not linger in the freezer, Blue Bell's Tin Roof. Thankfully, I think they retired that flavor because I have not seen it in the last couple of years.

OK, well two types of ice cream, the other being Baskin & Robbins Chocolate & Peanut Butter. They still make it but B&R is too far away to make the trip worth it.

#38 ChrisOC

ChrisOC
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Cheese balls, otherwisw known as "air biscuits" As soon as they are in your mouth, they disappear and you have to reach for another one.
Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

#39 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

Wasabi peas

Pickled mushrooms

Artichoke hearts

Sushi

Cheese curds

#40 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

The only thing I can inexplicably keep around the house and not be tempted by is chocolate.

View Post

Ditto. I forgot about chocolate. The only chocolate I'm ever tempted by would be very good quality chocolate-covered nuts--almonds, macadamia nuts, peanuts...whatever. If it's got a nut in it, I'll eat it!

Edited by prasantrin, 17 April 2008 - 04:16 PM.

#41 kiliki

kiliki
  • participating member
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

Chips and salsa (good chips and good salsa, that is. Like Jaymes' salsa! Or a homemade pico de gallo). I will eat myself into a stupor. So, I try not to buy my favorite chips, the ones that I really have no control with (Que Pasa Thin Style Organic). Instead I buy some kind of blue corn chip from the co-op that isn't nearly as good, so I don't eat as many. Or I cut up tortillas and make my own in the oven with just a little oil.

#42 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

Fresh veggies, especially cabbage and cruciferous veggies, sliced fine and stir fried with butter or bacon drippings. Get out o' my WAY! Dinner tonight was a bunch of (slightly elderly) sugar snap peas, stir fried in butter. (burp) Yummy! :laugh: Accompanied, of course, by an ET and soda...

ETA: the drink

Edited by judiu, 17 April 2008 - 06:32 PM.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#43 feedmec00kies

feedmec00kies
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

All of the above--- if available. Consequently, I never go shopping while hungry, and I don't buy snack food.

Also, I am in awe of people who can keep things like bowls of cold bing cherries, ripe triple-creme cheeses, tupperware containers of tarragon chicken salad, leftover mac and cheese, gorgonzola-stuffed olives and freshly-ground peanut butter in their fridge--- without feeling the urge to consume them immediately. I need to keep food around that requires a bit of effort to produce, or I'll just eat it.

View Post

Oh, wait, there's one. Mmm. When I buy a ripe triple-creme, it's usually as a guilty, greedy endeavor where I know I only want it for myself. And I finish it all off and feel kind of sick but very happy afterwards.

Ok, let's be honest. When I'm bored I think about all sorts of delicious foods I could be eating. It's how I got through some dreary orchestra rehearsals in college!
"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."
- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

#44 Domestic Goddess

Domestic Goddess
  • participating member
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

Cheese balls, otherwisw known as "air biscuits"  As soon as they are in your mouth, they disappear and you have to reach for another one.

View Post

Ohmygosh, you just described it. I love eating it until the container is empty and then I suck the cheezy crud stuck on my thumb and forefinger. I would do it to Billy's fingers too until he told me to stop it and what I was doing was yucky. LOL :biggrin:
Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

#45 Rehovot

Rehovot
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:10 AM

Ohmygosh, you just described it. I love eating it until the container is empty and then I suck the cheezy crud stuck on my thumb and forefinger. I would do it to Billy's fingers too until he told me to stop it and what I was doing was yucky. LOL  :biggrin:

View Post

DG, I remember your Foodblog photo of your son with that giant jar of cheese balls! :biggrin:
By the way, I vacuum up Cheetos dust in the same way you described, so I'll add Cheetos to my list of unstoppable snackables... :wink:

#46 Septemberdog61

Septemberdog61
  • participating member
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:27 AM

Olives! Black, green, pitted, cured, canned, stuffed......

#47 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

Lundberg's rice chips (seaweed flavor)...I think I stopped myself once from not eating the whole bag...but maybe I just looked in, saw a few small pieces left and tossed the rest out of self-loathing.
Doritos nacho cheese flavor
Tortilla chips
ditto on the pistachios

I think I discovered that if I eat more than 3 chips, I'm a goner. Somehow only eating a couple doesn't activate the "lizard brain" (to quote Miz Ducky).
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#48 Pat W

Pat W
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

Since I can't be trusted around a bag of Cheetos, I never buy them anymore. About a month ago I picked up some Little Bear Crunchitos baked cheese snacks. The "33% less fat" caught my attention. I tried a couple and wasn't all that impressed. Then absent mindedly I had a couple more.... then.... well, you get the picture. I more or less finished off the bag. I think that pretty well killed the 33% less fat advantage.

Several bags later, I fear I must stand up before you all, hang my head and admit.... Yes, I'm a Crunchito-holic and I can't quite manage to "just say no".

My keyboard is turning orange.

pat w.
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

#49 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

Add another vote for Cheese-Its!

I rarely buy them, but last week a box "fell" into my cart . . . Fortunately, it turns out my two kittens are also Cheese-Its fans, so technically I did not eat the whole box myself. :raz:

#50 abooja

abooja
  • participating member
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

Strawberry Twizzlers have been my downfall the last few months. 4/$5 Twizzlers (at Wegman's) + complete box set of Man from U.N.C.L.E. = T.R.O.U.B.L.E.

Before that, and for many years, it was Cheez-Its. I got burned out for a couple of years, but a 1-lb box recently made an appearance in my pantry. I no longer eat them in bed, so no more waking up with Cheez-It dust all over my sheets. :wink:

#51 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

One word: Oreos

I NEVER buy them anymore. But, dear lord I can eat them, Please don't let me have any! Someone stop me.

#52 ErikaK

ErikaK
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

Pickles
Persian cucumbers w/a sprinkle of sea salt
Fresh & Easy (Tesco) Malt Vinegar chips
Red Vines (darn costco buckets!)

#53 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

kimchee right out of the jar all kinds

#54 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,406 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

I have to add another that snuck up on me last night.
Ruffles Authentic Barbecue potato chips with large curd cottage cheese.

It has to be the large curd cottage cheese as the regular stuff does not have exactly the same flavor.
It is scary how quickly these things can be consumed without one actually being aware how MUCH is passing the lips. (And ultimately becoming a permanent resident on the hips!)
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#55 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

Clam Dip (homemade) with Kettle Chips or any kind of chips, I guess. If I have chips and no dip, they usually get thrown out. I can't eat any kind of cracker or chip without a half-inch of gooeyness on it...too dry.

Chocolate Candy. Even being diabetic, I can't stretch a one lb. box for more than 3 days. Can't remember the last time I had a box around.
Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

#56 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:40 PM

Freindship brand Full Fat ( aka "High Test") cottage cheese, usually with a dollop of fruit sweetened preserves (blackberry is a fav.) Usually now get Smuckers; a very nice true fruit flavor.
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#57 MoGa

MoGa
  • participating member
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:27 AM

I'm another person who can't stop when it comes to pistachios.

But most of all, the snack I absolutely cannot eat in moderation is

Dried Mangoes.

Not the dried husks you get in healthfood shops, the plump sugary ones from the Philippines. Oh, those are so good! My downfall is that a convenience store a few doors away from me has just opened up their basement and stuffed it with lots of Thai-friendly goods, including one of my favourite brands of dried mango. Instead of having to go to the centre of London to find them, there's a place selling them even more cheaply nearby (I use cheap loosely - they're 1.30GBP - $2.50 a bag)

#58 Domestic Goddess

Domestic Goddess
  • participating member
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:18 AM

MOGa - they're a favorite of koreans too, dried mangoes from the Philippines. I usually bring a cartonfull back when I go on vacation in the Philippines. Hubby's co-workers and boss demand their share of dried mangoes, not to mention my friends too. Be careful not to eat too much though, you know what they say about getting too much fiber. ;)
Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

#59 MoGa

MoGa
  • participating member
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:30 AM

MOGa - they're a favorite of koreans too, dried mangoes from the Philippines. I usually bring a cartonfull back when I go on vacation in the Philippines. Hubby's co-workers and boss demand their share of dried mangoes, not to mention my friends too. Be careful not to eat too much though, you know what they say about getting too much fiber. ;)

View Post

With my current finances, that's hardly likely. My Japanese husband also adores them so we literally fight over the slices. We did spend a Christmas near Toronto once and unexpectedly found a jumbo 30oz (approx 0.9kilo) bag of them in the small town of Minden, I managed to force some restraint on ourselves so that they lasted a full 4 days, but yes, I can testify that you have a very good point there...

(I'm going out to get some more - I'll post the address in a moment
Mabethay Me Minimart, 21 Chalk Farm Road - opposite the Camden 'Stables', London
Brand is Young's - which isn't quite as good as 7D but is still one of the better kinds... not too fibrous)

Mmmmm....

Edited by MoGa, 19 April 2008 - 06:48 AM.

#60 chefsteban

chefsteban
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Oh Gawd.......gimme a bag of chicharrones (fried pig skin) with some limes and chile powder...and a cold Modelo especial......

But I can also manage to chow down on cheeto's and cheez-its.
On the healthier side...A bowl of freshly popped pop corn....and not those hideious micro wave products. I mean REAL popcorn popped in the traditional fashion. lightly salted.....maybe a spritz of real butter :wacko:
"We do not stop playing because we grow old,
we grow old because we stop playing"