Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The snack you just cannot put down

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

OK I have a confession, I love pistachios really love them. If I buy a bag of pistachios I will eat them until I’ve finished the bag. If I’ve bought a 3 lb bag I’ll eat them till I’m sick or the bag is empty. It’s not like I have some addiction, I don’t buy them every day or even every month. I occasionally will see a decent sized bag that’s not so over-priced and I’ll splurge. Once the bag is open though, I’m like a UFO abductee who has experienced missing time. It begins innocently enough, I’ll eat a couple then before I know it I’m halfway through the bag. I’ll put the bag down to do something else and a few minutes later find myself finishing the bag. Other snacks don’t have that effect on me, a snack size bag of chips might last a week or two, pint of ice cream maybe three weeks and I might throw away popcorn because it goes stale before I can finish it.

Am I alone in this? Should I start to doubt my insanity? Do I have men in white coats and a sleeveless jacket in my future?

Do you have a snack that you cannot put down?

ETA: The first "e" in before.

Edited by JimH, 14 April 2008 - 03:08 PM.

#2 feedmec00kies

feedmec00kies
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

There are worse things to binge on than pistachios.

I have a tendency to tear through large amounts of dried seasoned seaweed, unless it's the kind that has a few pieces individually wrapped in plastic (too much work!). I also eat large quantities of kimmel crackers at a time if I don't eat anything on them. They're just so thin and tasty! Mmmm... Neither are quite what you describe, however.
"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."
- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

#3 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

Salt and vinegar potato chips. Especially the "Cape Cod" brand. I cannot stop eating them. For this reason, I won't buy them. If someone wants to sabotage my (infrequent) dieting efforts, they need only buy a bag and leave them on the counter.

#4 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

Like JimH I cannot resist pistachios if they are around so I rarely buy them but if they are here then I cannot stop until they are gone. Sour cream and onion potato chips - same thing - rarely buy those either! I keep looking for a snack that won't send me off on a guilt trip but not much luck so far. Hate popcorn -even the smell of it!
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#5 Domestic Goddess

Domestic Goddess
  • participating member
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

Pistachios also get me (and my dad). And I too usually buy a big bag and gorge on it until it is almost gone and I vainly try to hide what's left behind the cupboard. No chance though, since the next day (or even hour) I'd grab it and totally finish it. *hangs head in shame*
Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

#6 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

Goldfish, especially the parmesan.
When I open a bag, I measure out a specific amount into a small dish, close and fasten the bag (with a binder clip) then put it away in the pantry before I indulge in the first goldfish.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#7 petite tête de chou

petite tête de chou
  • participating member
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

Cottage cheese, blue cheese and ice cream aren't safe from my vacuuming maw. Perhaps I blow through them so easily because I don't keep them in the house? Self restraint is not one of my shining qualities.
Shelley: Would you like some pie?
Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

#8 tino27

tino27
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

Peanut M&M's.
A single serving (aka a pint) of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.
A single serving (aka a sleeve) of Girl Scout Thin Mints.

I'd better stop now. Obviously I keep none of these in my house on a regular basis.

Edited by tino27, 14 April 2008 - 06:28 PM.

Food Blog: Exploring Food My Way: Satisfying The Craving -- Exercising my epicurean muscles by eating my way through everything that is edible.
Flickr: Link To My Account
Twitter: @tnoe27

#9 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

Cheese-its. What can I say? Since I lost my job, it's been easier -- no junk machine or boxes sitting on co-workers' desks leering at me.

But I've made a big hole in a big bag of TJ's pistachios.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#10 vloglady

vloglady
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey.
Haagen Dazs Pineapple Coconut.

I LOVE coconut. and banana ice cream too, if I can find it. Banana Split ice cream just isn't the same. The ice cream at the Chinatown Ice Cream factory is awesome!

Susan

#11 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

Munchos! Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk and strawberry cream cheese. Don't dare to buy it, cause it won't be there tomorrow!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#12 potsticker

potsticker
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

Samoas. Girl Scout cookie season is the best and worst part of the year.

And Blue Bell ice cream. Has anyone had that Anniversary Cake flavor? Wow. :shock:

#13 Lilija

Lilija
  • participating member
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

Cheese-its. What can I say? Since I lost my job, it's been easier -- no junk machine or boxes sitting on co-workers' desks leering at me.

But I've made a big hole in a big bag of TJ's pistachios.

View Post

Oh, Cheez-its I am hopelessly addicted to them. My husband too. We used to buy two boxes. One for us to eat immediately, and the other one to get us through the week (ok, the next day or two). We would stand at the pantry with a glass of milk and a box of them, and pass both back and forth, like junkies.

I don't buy them any more, at ALL. Ok, once in awhile, I'll get a tiny bag from a vending machine, if I'm really hurtin, but, that's it. There is nothing else I'm as powerless about. I swear they dust those things with crack.

#14 mizducky

mizducky
  • participating member
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

I have a tendency to tear through large amounts of dried seasoned seaweed, unless it's the kind that has a few pieces individually wrapped in plastic (too much work!).

View Post

I am hopeless around those seasoned nori strips. I think there's umami crack in them. I buy the big cannister knowing that it'll be empty in a few hours.

A single serving (aka a pint) of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.
A single serving (aka a sleeve) of Girl Scout Thin Mints.

View Post

I've been guilty of both of these, back in the day.

I'm also very bad around jars of good dill pickles--even though I know my ankles will be like dirigibles the next day.

#15 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:44 AM

anything in a shell!

pistachios
peanuts
pumpkin seeds
sunflower seeds
edamame
lychees
ect ect ect
if it has a shell is ready to go and I can pick it up with my fingers and eat what is inside
I will eat myself stupid

Edited by hummingbirdkiss, 15 April 2008 - 03:59 AM.

#16 Rehovot

Rehovot
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

Chocolate (in all forms). Tortilla chips. Cookies.
It's essentially Night of the Living-Dead Snacker if these things are anywhere near me.

#17 markk

markk
  • participating member
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

smoked salmon. don't laugh. whatever I buy, I eat the first day, slowly but surely throughout the day until it's gone.
Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”
Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”
Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”
Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

#18 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

Yes to girl scout cookies - they're just the right size that you hate to close them and put them back in the cupboard so you might as well finish them off.

Almond finger cookies - those will be the death of me.

And my odd one...squid jerky. Love that stuff!

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#19 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

Beef jerky. There's a guy at work who makes it and sells small bags of it. I'm thankfull that the bags are small since I just eat right through it until I hit the bottom of the bag. I try not to think of the salt I've consumed. :shock:
At work, someone once brought in a small can of Planter's Cashews. One of our salemen had some, then some more and pretty soon the entire can was gone. We all freaked when we read the amount of sodium on the can label he had just consumed. We were surprised he just didn't explode from all that salt.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#20 Carlovski

Carlovski
  • participating member
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

In general I'm not a snacky kind of guy, but when I'm in the mood.....
Recently I've been having a fad of snacking on poppadums (cook them in the microwave - too easy!) of differing kinds, especially the spicy punjabi ones from my local indian supermarket.
But the usual culprits are Maltesers - I normally eat very little chocolate, and when I do it's a couple of squares of something dark and high quality. But give me a bag or box of maltesers and I finish the lot, no matter what size. Normally leaving me feeling ill!
Oh and the fantastic spicy crisps (Chips to our American friends) made by the Cofresh company (From Leicester I believe, just like walkers) the Jalapeno ones, or the curly spicy ones being favourites. The chilli and lemon ones are good too. They also make lots of Bombay mix type snacks - some of which are a definite acquired taste!
I love animals.
They are delicious.

#21 shellfishfiend

shellfishfiend
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

Dots candy and pickled okra.

With the Dots, I squish each one until it is soft and flat and will eat half the box in no time flat. At that point, I have been known to tape or staple the box shut to keep me out of it. Of course, I will later break through the tape or staples and finish the box and feel really sick from the sugar.

I have loved pickled okra since I was a child. My mom didn't buy it often as it was kinda pricey and I would eat the whole jar in one sitting. They are such small undersized jars. :raz:
Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

#22 saltylicious

saltylicious
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Crunchy Cheetos!

Gotta love that bright orange cheesy powder that sticks to your fingers and lips.
Suzanne

#23 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

Pistachios.

Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream.

The other week, I went through an entire bag of some Indian snack mix (deep-fried vermicelli, legumes, peanuts, etc.) that was sweet-salty-and hot at the same time. Luckily, it's about an hour's drive to the Indian market!
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#24 MGLloyd

MGLloyd
  • participating member
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

Trader Joe's white cheddar popcorn. It is so easy to make a small opening at the top of the seal, and then just tip the bag to funnel the cheesy goodness directly into my mouth without having to even touch the popcorn. I try to justify it by the fiber intake, but that is a lame excuse at best.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington USA

#25 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

I forgot to mention that I try to avoid the snack aisle in Trader Joe's because they have so many snacks that are difficult to resist.:wub:

I stopped buying the Snapea Crisps because when I open the bag I go into a sort of fugue state and when I am again conscious, the bag is empty.. :biggrin:

This effect is worse than that of the Goldfish.

I also stopped preparing parmesan chips, which are ridiculously easy to make and so good, because I can't resist munching on them as soon as they come out of the oven.... :shock: even if my lips and tongue are scorched....
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#26 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

Doritos and cheetos are my worst downfalls... Once I start, its all over.

Also high on the "no self restraint" list, but on the sweet side, are the Famous Chocolate Wafers... SO GOOD! So crispy and chocolately! Can't stop!

#27 flacoman

flacoman
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

Let's see .. Jelly Bellys , gummi bears ,coffee ice cream with hot fudge and one in a great while, Famous Amos . The bad part is ,when I go for the Famous Amos it's half a box !

my2c
Jorge

#28 emilyr

emilyr
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

I'm all for the white cheddar popcorn. I have to only buy it once or twice a year, or I eat a whole bag. Also, it's good that wasabi peas only come in small cans around here, or I'd be eating them all day.
"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

#29 heidih

heidih
  • 10,804 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Fresh roasted peanuts in the shell. One more, just one more, oh well better eat them while they are fresh, and then the bag is empty.

I also have a strange relationship with puffed corn that is not stale. It is a constant back and forth to the pantry with a handful of corn, a bit of swiss cheese, and a bite of pickled pepper.

#30 jm chen

jm chen
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Cheese-and-cracker Combos. Parsnip chips. TJ's hot mustard wonton crisps.
Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog
Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media