Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Dinner in Surrey/Greater London?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Stigand

Stigand
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:30 AM

I'd like to speak up for the Burnt Chair in Richmond, on Duke Street just next to the Green and the Theatre (their website).

It's a small restaurant serving food that is basically modern European but with the occasional Asian flavour and a sensitivity to texture that I would more usually associate with Chinese cuisines. The chef/owner, Weenson Oo also happens to be a Californian wine devotee and the wine list (complete with enthuiastic tasting notes) is the most interesting US list I've seen in the UK.

On a personal/sentimental note, this was the restaurant that first made me interested in eating out seriously. I came here frequently in the early nineties, and was delighted to find when I visited again last year that it was, if anything, better than I remembered it.

#32 Andy Lynes

Andy Lynes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:09 AM

I really like McClements though and like the way they have just been quitely ploughing their own furrow, trying to bring a bit of high end dining to Twickenham.

Not sure if I posted about my recent lunch at McClements, but "new" chef Barry Tonks trained with Anthony Demetre at Putney Bridge and is producing some excellent food at the moment. 1st Michelin star could be on the horizon.

#33 Jamsie

Jamsie
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:07 AM

Not sure if I posted about my recent lunch at McClements, but "new" chef Barry Tonks trained with Anthony Demetre at Putney Bridge and is producing some excellent food at the moment. 1st Michelin star could be on the horizon.

Yeah it's been closed for the last couple of weeks for refurbishment, it re opens tomorrow night, am looking forward to checking it out again.

Edited by MobyP, 22 January 2004 - 02:32 AM.

#34 Andy Lynes

Andy Lynes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:05 AM

McClemets has a star in the new Michelin Guide.

#35 sarah w

sarah w
  • participating member
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:10 AM

Andy, could you post about your lunch at mcclements if you havent already

Thanks
sarah

#36 PoppySeedBagel

PoppySeedBagel
  • participating member
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:21 AM

Moby - The Dining Room is on Reigate High Street - LHS - near the traffic light at the end where you go right to go up R'gate Hill. It's above another restaurant (Ceapo Italian) so is rather poky

#37 Andy Lynes

Andy Lynes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:20 PM

Andy, could you post about your lunch at mcclements if you havent already

I could have sworn I had, but it appears that I havent. I'll type it up over the weekend and I have some menus I can scan in.

#38 Andy Lynes

Andy Lynes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:31 AM

My meal at McClements was in the late autumn of last year, I don't have a lunch menu to refer to and I didn't take any notes, so details are a little thin on the ground. I do recall however that Twickenham was sort of on my route home from a morning meeting near Watford and I intended to arrive around 1.00pm and give Ma Cuisine a try. As it turned out, my meeting ended later than expected and I got stuck in traffic so I didn't get there until 2.00pm, by which time Ma Cuisine had stopped serving (despite a chalk board set up outside which said they were open.)

So I walked the 50 yards to McClements who agreed to serve me some lunch. It turned out that I was their only customer. I got chatting to the maitre'd (ex-LaTrompette) who explained that they are very quiet at lunch due to being located it a mainly residential area but that they do good business in the evenings. He also told me that owner John McClement no longer cooks at the restaurant, but spends his time at Ma Cuisine. Chef Barry Tonks had been recruited from Putney Bridge with the aim of winning the restaurant a Michelin star (mission accomplished!)

The food was of a very high standard. From the set lunch menu which was around £19.50 for three courses if I recall correctly I ate a technically perfect foie gras parfait with mousserons and date puree and roast mallard with sour cherry sauce and squash puree. The dessert escapes me, but I remeber enjoying it. Very good bread, an amuse bouche and pre-dessert (both good, but alas no details) coffee, water, one glass of wine and service all came to approx. £30.00.

Service was incredibly professional. I was the only person in the room, yet the maitre'd and waitress behaved as if they had a full dining room. They didn't chat or make preparations for the evening service, but focused their attention on serving me. The room was in desperate need of a refurb so I am pleased to hear that they have gone ahead with their plans to re-decorate.

FT Article on Ma Cuisine and McClements

#39 sarah w

sarah w
  • participating member
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:39 AM

Thanks andy, sounds good. I will report on my visit to McClements at the end of feb

Yesterday we went and had a peak at Steve Drakes new restaurant in Ripley
surrey. He was at @ Drakes on the pond in Abinger. http://www.drakesonthepond.com

The Ripley restaurant use to be Michels which we never managed to visit for a meal but heard good reports about.

info on him from roux scholarship previous winners:
2001 Steve Drake of Drake's on the Pond, near Dorking
Trained with Marc Veyrat at the Auberge de L'Eridan by Lake Annecy

Drakes is suppose to open on the 21st, a sample menu in the window looks interesting. typical that i cant remember(it was a sunday after all) but i should be on their mailing list so will post any info i find.
The interior looks similar previous restaurant so unless they redecorating in the next few days i guess its the same.
There looks to be a beautiful walled garden at the rear which looked stunning in the winter sunshine, it would be great for al fresco summer dining

sarah xx

Edited by sarah w, 19 January 2004 - 05:39 AM.

#40 sarah w

sarah w
  • participating member
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 04:50 AM

I received a mailout from Drakes in Ripley Surrey(formerly Michel's).I have condensed the information so I didn't have to type to much ! Apologies for any of my typo's...

Steve achieved a Michelin star as head chef in his last position (the only starred restaurant in surrey)
Steve has previously worked with many of the country's finest chef's: incl. nico ladenis,MPW,Tom aikens,William Drabble, also trained with Marc Veyrat

The restaurant will be offering modern French fine dining with a worldwide wine list favouring the regions of France

The restaurant will be open for lunch Tues-Friday & Dinner Tues-Saturday
Offering a set lunch from from £16 for 2 courses and a set priced a la carte available at lunch and dinner from £30 for 2 courses as well a menu gourmand.
For reservations please telephone 01483 22477

SAMPLE A LA CARTE MENU

Starters

Roasted Langoustine, Braised Beef Carpaccio, Langoustine and Truffle Mousse

Quail Ballontine, Poached Breast, Confit Leg, Game chips with an orange and hazelnut dressing.

Assiette of seafood with cauliflower puree and Beurre Rouge

Ratte Potato Marinaded and wrapped in spinach with cep mushroom casserole

Terrine of Foie Gras, Carrot and Cardamom Puree, Warm toasted Brioche

MAIN COURSES

Roasted Seabass, Poached Fennel, Saffron Potatoes and Bouillabaisse Sauce

Pan Fried John Dory on a leek Fricassee, Crab Ravioli, Crushed Potato and Red wine Sauce

Roasted Gressingham Duck Breast with Braised Thigh, Confit Drumstick, Wild mushroom Mousse.
seared Foie Gras and celeriac Puree

Lamb Saddle cooked in a coriander and mint crumb, Boulanger Potato, Braised Shoulder
White coco beans and Lamb Jus

Beef Fillet with Thyme fondant, Butter spinach and a shallot and ale sauce

Courgette Filled with carrot and Cardamom puree, caramelized onion and fennel, Crushed Potato with leek butter sauce

DESSERTS

Creme Renversee with Granny Smith sorbet and Dried apple Tuile

Chocolate Tart, Orange and Almond Brandy snap, Chocolate Chantilly and Mandarin Sorbet

Pineapple Roasted with Malibu, Coconut Ice Cream, Macerated Sultanas and a coconut Biscuit

Pears Poached in wine with cinnamon Parfait and roasted Pistachio Nuts

A selection of cheeses

sarah x

#41 Scott

Scott
  • participating member
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:33 AM

Sarah,

that sounds pretty interesting, but isn't £30 upwards for 2 courses quite steep for a regional restaurant of this kind?

Then again, maybe I'm just becoming complacent from living too close to chez bruce.

Edited by Scott, 23 January 2004 - 05:34 AM.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

#42 sarah w

sarah w
  • participating member
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:56 AM

It is quite steep but with not much choice in the area and the fact Ripley is quite affluent i guess its the norm ??

I will have to sample and the decide...Just need to find some money !

We are on the waiting list for Valentines, £55 menu gourmond. The credit card will be ready & waiting

sarah x

#43 boomurphy

boomurphy
  • legacy participant
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

went to Drakes on Friday evening, very disappointing.

The main dining room looks like it was designed by my mum, and decorated by me.

Not a bad looking menu, but it couldn't deliver: chewy duck, dull mullet and oceans of spume frothed over everything. Beef cheek quite good but not enough to prevent us feeling that the place is a bit of a dog.

The winelist has more holes than a stripper's fishnets; my local wetherspoons has a better selection.

Why on earth this place has a michelin star is beyond me. It's everything we should be turning our back on in restaurants.

Most hated: the waiter blatantly interrupting us mid conversation to routinely ask if everything was OK.

If you want somewhere decent to eat in Surrey, try the French table in Surbiton - that's a cracker.

#44 LizzyWizzy

LizzyWizzy
  • participating member
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:46 AM

went to Drakes on Friday evening, very disappointing. 

The main dining room looks like it was designed by my mum, and decorated by me. 

Not a bad looking menu, but it couldn't deliver: chewy duck, dull mullet and oceans of spume frothed over everything.  Beef cheek quite good but not enough to prevent us feeling that the place is a bit of a dog.

The winelist has more holes than a stripper's fishnets; my local wetherspoons has a better selection.

Why on earth this place has a michelin star is beyond me.  It's everything we should be turning our back on in restaurants.

Most hated:  the waiter blatantly interrupting us mid conversation to routinely ask if everything was OK.

If you want somewhere decent to eat in Surrey, try the French table in Surbiton - that's a cracker.

View Post

Or the Westerly in Reigate, very good unfussy food just got a bib gourmand and won remy martin best restaurant award, or one of there awards, think its been mentioned on another thread, Jay Raynor also gave it a great review, Drakes use to be very good a few years back
Thats my first post after being an avid observer, good afternoon everybody

#45 PoppySeedBagel

PoppySeedBagel
  • participating member
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

I went to the Westerly a couple of weeks ago - as you will observe I haven't rushed to report. I was disappointed - not by the food per se; for me, the restaurant just didn't live up to the reviews it has had. The food is good, well-cooked and made with very good ingredients. The stafff are friendly and service fine - though they like to serve their fino sherry warm...

However with the exception of my bourride whch had superb ingredients and was beautifully cooked, I could have cooked everything on the menu myself, and possibly a little better. It's a good neighbourhood restaurant, and we don't have many of those in Uk, but you can't just pop down to it, as it's so booked up. That's not its fault, it's doing a good job. As regular posters will know I love Arbutus in London - the food is like Arbutus-lite - it does in two dimensions what Arbutus does in three.

#46 Mrs Foodie

Mrs Foodie
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

We went to Drake's in Ripley about two weeks ago and had one of the best meals I have eaten for ages. I think they have really upped their game and we had the tasting menu with the sommelier's choice of wine and I couldn't fault it.
I think the decor is gradually being done but I think it is probably a listed building.
The decor is subjective - it has a really lovely garden for pre dinner drinks or after lunch coffee in better weather.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - we love it and have eaten at some pretty good places in our time and I believe that it is Surrey's only Michelin starred restaurant.

#47 PhilD

PhilD
  • participating member
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

We are heading up to Surrey shortly (Kingston/Richmond) and are looking for recommendations for a good lunch on Sunday (does not need to be "Sunday lunch").
Thanks,
Phil

#48 sem

sem
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

We are heading up to Surrey shortly (Kingston/Richmond) and are looking for recommendations for a good lunch on Sunday (does not need to be "Sunday lunch").
Thanks,
Phil

View Post

Current favourites for this Richmond local are:

The Duke - gastropub
The Bingham - upmarket with river views
Gaucho - steak by the river

#49 martinwa

martinwa
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:57 AM

La Buvette in Richmond. Eat in the courtyard unless it's pissing down like today.
Petersham nurseries Cafe in erm Petersham is the best food for miles. You might struggle to get in so hurry.
The Petersham Hotel has a fantastic view across the river. Pretty good food too.
I think Gaucho is overpriced for what it is. You're paying for the no doubt extortionate - can't spell that - rents for a resto on the river. Naff concept too.
Have a pint of Youngs in The White Cross, Richmond again, before lunch and don't bother with Kingston. It's a shopping precinct.
You could also take the river boat to Richmond from Hampton Court or vice versa. Weather dependent though. It really is awful out there today!

#50 cheeekymunkey

cheeekymunkey
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:46 AM

I would second The Petersham Hotel. Alex Bentley is chef there. Probably not cooking at the standard that he was in the Monsieur Max days but some stonking dishes to be had.

The view is fairly breathtaking too.

#51 chefaj82

chefaj82
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:46 AM

Try drakes in ripley, it is the best resturant in that area by far

#52 martinwa

martinwa
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:19 AM

Try drakes in ripley, it is the best resturant in that area by far

View Post

It may be lovely but being 20 miles away it's not exactly in the Richmond or Kingston area.

#53 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

LA BUVETTE, RICHMOND

The casual visitor to the area would probably completely miss this place located, as it is, on an alley beside the church. But it’s worth seeking out. I noted it down for future reference when I spotted on the doshermanos blog about a year ago and I see it’s now Good Food Guide listed (a cooking 3).

On offer is a short fixed price menu – half a dozen choices at each course – at £17.75 for two courses, a couple of quid more for three. There’s also the three course bistro menu – no choice at starter or main; creme brulee or cheese for “afters”. It costs £23.50 and the owner tells me it’s so popular it’s pretty much unchanging.

Fish soup was suitably rich and came with roiulle, croutons and grated Gruyere. The main is onglet, chips and a big handful of well-dressed lambs’ lettuce and shallot salad. “It’ll be on the menu as long as we’re in business”. I finished with a good sized portion of Brie. Not as ripe as you’d hope for – but at least they’d taken it out of the fridge in good time.

This was damn fine value for an enjoyable solitary dinner. The 12.5% service charge and a bottle of water brought the bill to just on £30.
John Hartley

#54 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

TANGAWIZI, RICHMOND

My thanks to PhilD for the heads-up on this place on another board. Since he mentioned it months ago, I see it's now got a Cooking 2 in the Good Food Guide.

The dark walls of this otherwise very modern looking restaurant almost remind you of the flock wallpaper of Indian places of 30+ years ago. And it’s not just the walls that are dark – the whole place is dark. Seriously dark. Making it difficult to properly see your food – aren’t you supposed to first eat with your eyes?

Staff are plentiful and attentive. Perhaps a tad over-attentive – lurking near your table ready to remove a glass or a plate the moment you’re finished. The two owners/managers had good customer skills – making sure that they chatted with the single diner (maybe I look like a Good Food Guide inspector).

But the above are niggles. The menu is a good reader – not your run of the mill Bangla curry house, although some dishes will be familiar. I sipped an excellent mango lassi while I looked it over.

Fresh mint tikki sounded like a good starter but it proved underwhelming. The potato patties were a good texture but there was no great taste of mint or, indeed, other spicing. It should have been lifted by tamarind chutney. However, whilst it cheffily decorated the plate in blobs and drizzles, it lack the sour kick.

The main of Lamb Saagwala was spot on – tender tasty meat and good spicing, I’m more used to seeing gosht saag a quite dry dish but this had quite a bit of spinach sauce. It made the side order of dhal makhani a bit unnecessary. But I’m glad I’d ordered it as it was the best thing I ate here. Again, it was well spiced with cumin and the addition of beans (it was too dark to see exactly what they might have been) gave it more texture than usual. Rice and roti helped it all down.

It’s just lost its Michelin Bib Gourmand due to an increase in prices (the owner telling me the inspectors ate lobster – and then said the restaurant couldn’t do three courses for £28!). But it’s not expensive – the bill including a bottle of water and a tip came to £30.

It was a pretty good meal but not an outstander. I see Andy Haylor also reviews it on his website declaring the best Indian food in London. I hope he's wrong.
John Hartley

#55 Mrs Foodie

Mrs Foodie
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

This seems to be a very old topic which has been rejuventated!
My money is on either the Bingham in Richmond, which has just won its first Michelin star and I had a fab lunch there the other day - very reasonable and surprisingly busy for this time of year (but the newly acquired star will have helped!)
The other one we like is Brula in St Margaret's - it has retained a bib gourmand for many years and is, I believe a sister restaurant to La Buvette (which is also excellent - had a really good girls night there only last week).

#56 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

I've mentioned the Bingham recently. Ate there in May 2008 on a TopTable bargain offer. It'd have been excellent value even without the 50% discount.

Although not in the last 12 months, I've had decent meals at Saffron, smack in the town centre. Persian - my notes indicate that the fesenjan was OK but needed a bit more oomph.

Would be good to hear some current recommendations. I visit the area for a few days once or twice a year (researching at the National Archives)and am always looking for decent food in places welcoming to the solo diner.I think I've just about exhausted places I know in the Richmond/Kew/Brentford strip.

Edited by Harters, 11 February 2010 - 02:51 PM.

John Hartley

#57 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

KEW GRILL, KEW GREEN

I think this is the last remaining remnant of Antony Worral Thompson’s bankrupt grill business. I can see why he kept this one going – it was jammed packed with punters and I bet they regret taking a reservation for a single diner.

Bang Bang Chicken should have been a zingy starter. It should have Sichuan peppercorns. It should have chilli. It should have an unctuous peanut sauce. What it shouldn’t have is a few shreds of dried out chicken dumped on tasteless shreds of cucumber and drizzled with thinned down peanut butter. It shouldn’t then be priced at £6.95. I know when someone’s taking the piss!

My ribeye steak was much better. It had to be better. “The only way is up”, as the song had it. I was faced with the ultimate chip dilemma – do I order the “skinny” chips or the “chunky” chips. Why does no-one prepare chip sized chips anymore? I chose chunky. They were OK – if you like that sort of thing. Creamed spinach was fine – in the past I’d never have thought of this as going with steak but have had it in a New York steakhouse where it was the must have” side and it works. Bearnaise sauce without any taste of tarragon is not béarnaise – why advertise it as such, instead of the more accurate “white gloop”.

Rant ends...........
John Hartley

#58 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

PALMYRA, SANDYCOMBE ROAD, RICHMOND

This neighbourhood place deserves to survive and thrive. But it probably isn’t going to – two customers on a Wednesday night simply isn’t enough to pay the bills.

There’s nothing surprising on the menu – just a shortish list of Lebanese staples, split between hot & cold mezze, salads and mains. Mezze items come in at around £4.50; mains at £13. It’s good value.

Freebie pickles were brought almost as soon as I’d sat down – slices of salted and pickled turnip, decent olives and absolute killer green chillis.

Moutabel was a very generous portion of aubergine dip, softened and sweetened by a sprinkling of parsley and pomegranate seeds. Lots of flat bread for dipping.

My second starter was arayes. Served hot, the bread was nicely crisped but the lamb filling was disappointing - underflavoured and somewhat sludgy.

On to the main course....shish taouk was as fine an example as you’d wish to find. The chicken had been perfectly grilled and was just starting to char on the outside yet still soft and most inside. It came with a small handful of mixed salad and a garlic sauce on the side. Now I must admit that I like my garlic sauces to leap off the plate and scream “GARLIC” at me – and this didn’t. But it wasn’t at all bad. More bread was offered and accepted.

Too full for dessert, I asked for the bill – but that didn’t arrive until after I’d eaten the freebie sweet pastries. I liked it at Palmyra. I’d be a regular if I lived in Richmond. It’s a place that shows the traditional generous attitude towards hospitality from the people of the middle east.

Edited by Harters, 13 May 2010 - 11:22 AM.

John Hartley

#59 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

PAPPADUM'S, FERRY QUAYS, BRENTFORD

Yes, I know this a Surrey thread - but's just over the River.

One of my regular haunts when “down south” (as I normally stay just round the corner), it’s a pretty reasonable Indian – offering a “proper menu” rather than the “any protein with any sauce” offerings at your local Bangla curryhouse.

But, in spite of the “proper” offerings, I started with the commonplace seekh kebab. Here, three kebabs, zingy with coriander and chilli. There was a garlic sauce for dipping which had something sharp-tasting in it. Probably tamarind, innit. I had that with a tandoori roti which was nicely crisp round the edges, still a bit doughy in the middle. Good starter!

Main was Kadai chicken. The sauce here a bit generic but with the addition of a good hit of ginger and some al dente green peppers giving a texture contrasts. A decent enough pulao rice went well with it.
John Hartley