Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: Chris Hennes - Pork and chocolate, together at last!

Foodblog Chocolate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
259 replies to this topic

#241 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

We've admired it, speculated on all its parts and usage, marveled at how CLEAN it looks to deal with all that smoke and grease, and agree that tomorrow, when I show it to our eight-month-old granddaughter, she'll take a happy look and say, "Noo-Noo!!"

View Post

Ah, sorry to mislead! That is a "stock" photo of the device as originally assembled... it is not quite so clean anymore! And alas, I cannot claim the ingenuity for myself: I saw something similar on the internet somewhere and was inspired.

Is the patty you cooked (presumably for yourself) midway through the process a quality control step?

<snip>

what besides the method and need to cook it distinguishes cold-smoked from hot-smoked sausage? Is there a difference in flavor?  (The place in Port Richmond sells both fresh and smoked kielbasa, btw.)

<snip>

Of course, you will look us up when you return to Philly?

View Post

First, the patty is to check the seasoning before you stuff it (obviously once stuffed you're stuck with it). You can sorta check flavor, but since the smoke changes everything, it is mostly just to make sure the salt is right. Regarding hot versus cold smoking, there are two main differences: cold-smoked foods can be smoked for much longer since there is no danger in overcooking them. For example, a cold-smoke Andouille sausage could be smoked for 24-48 hours: they are heavily, heavily smoke-flavored. The second is texture: it is not so much that the texture changes due to the cold-smoking, but that cold-smoked sausage is usually denser, although I suppose this is not universally true. And naturally, next time I am in Philly I will probably make my way to Chick's... :smile:

On that note, I present my last set of photos: a nightcap, and a pleasant end to a fun week. A Negroni:
Posted Image

Cheers!
Posted Image

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#242 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

Great blog. Really, so enjoyable.

#243 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

Chris:

Thanks so much for treating us to this high caliber blog. It's been a real treat to watch you cooking, smoking and shaking. :biggrin: I'll be anxiously awaiting your next trip to Chick's. I promise I'll try and have something wonderful for you when you arrive.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#244 Domestic Goddess

Domestic Goddess
  • participating member
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Chris, I am so glad that this blog is still open. Like the others, we would like to thank you for such a wonderful, informative not to mention jaw-dropping blog. You have set a high standard for the next blogs and we can only strive to capture the color, clarity and composition of your pics. Thank you so much and please don't forget to mail those luscious PB&J candies to Korea. :wub:
Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

#245 Cadbury

Cadbury
  • participating member
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

Wow! What a tasty week.

#246 SeaGal

SeaGal
  • participating member
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

Really enjoyed your blog, Chris. Many thanks!
Jan
Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#247 Chufi

Chufi
  • participating member
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

Thank you Chris! I am in awe of your seemingly boundless energy.. I could never do what you do (and yes I know this was not a normal week for you, but even a charcuterie project one week and chocolate the next would be too much for me.. and I´m not even writing a dissertation :wink: )
Very inspiring to see someone apply themselves to new and complicated tasks. Thanks for showing us your work!

oh and how do you keep your counters so spotless.. I´m in a constant battle with mine and I lose every day...

Edited by Chufi, 13 April 2008 - 11:50 PM.

#248 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:31 AM

Way to go Chris. A wonderful blog. Pennsylvania produces great blogs. Chris, Katie, Sandy, Lori have been great PA bloggers. And I was happy to share one with Marlene and Susan.

However, we need more from PA. Fellow PA EG posters please contact the head blogger, Susan, and offer your services.

Chris set a high bar, but there are lots of stories out there to be told

Edited by lancastermike, 14 April 2008 - 08:00 AM.

#249 Dr. Teeth

Dr. Teeth
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:21 AM

Just incredible. Hard to say anything impressed me more than the pbjs, but I think the food pics themselves were my favorite part.

Thanks for letting us all share.

#250 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

Great blog, Chris! Many thanks for sharing. I'm about to move into a new house, and I think I'm going to have to get smoker setup like yours.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#251 ninetofive

ninetofive
  • participating member
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

Awesome blog, Chris. I'm in awe of all your skills: cooking, charcuterie, photographic, organizational ... wow!
Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author
The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com
My eGullet blog
The Renegade Writer Blog

#252 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:31 AM

Hi Chris:

Is there any chance you can post the recipe for the bacon you made? Or is that too much work? I have made bacon several times in the past using a dry cure for 7 days and then smoking it in my Bradley electric smoker. I would then take it back to the butcher I bought the pork belly from and he would slice it for me at no charge. I'm curious to know what you put into the cure and the temperature of the smoker and how long you smoked it for. I used to smoke the bacon for about 4 hours - longer than that and it was too "smoky" if you know what I mean.

Thanks, Chris.

Elsie

#253 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

Is there any chance you can post the recipe for the bacon you made? 

View Post

I basically used the recipe from Ruhlman and Polcyn's Charcuterie---I'm afraid I don't have it on me at the moment. I added a ground bay leaf and a lot of black pepper, and left out the maple syrup.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#254 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hello again, Chris:

I forgot to ask you if the book "Charcuterie" is actually practical for the average person or if one needs advanced cooking/smoking skills? Is the book mostly concerned with meat?

I also enjoy making chocolates - do you have a book called "Chocolates & Confections" by Peter P. Greweling? He is a master confectioner at the Culinary Institute of America. All the ingredients in his recipes are broken down by weight, both metric an imperial and also by percentages of the total. So, while the recipe as stated makes a lot, (usually around 150 pieces), the recipes can be easily scaled down. Thought you might be interested.

Keep on cooking......................

Elsie

#255 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

I forgot to ask you if the book "Charcuterie" is actually practical for the average person or if one needs advanced cooking/smoking skills?  Is the book mostly concerned with meat?

View Post

Yes, it is: there are some advanced recipes in there, but it starts off pretty simple. It is the book I learned from, and I am by no means an expert (and certainly wasn't when I started!). Also, there is a very helpful thread on the book over here.

I also enjoy making chocolates - do you have a book called "Chocolates & Confections" by Peter P. Greweling? 

View Post

Yes, that is my primary reference. It is far and away the best confections book I have seen for the novice confectioner. Again, helpful eGullet folks congregate over here.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#256 Marigene

Marigene
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

Chris, thanks for one of the most amazing weeks I have spent on EG!

#257 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for a great trip, Chris!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#258 Jujubee

Jujubee
  • participating member
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Chris! I really enjoyed your blog.

#259 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

State College may not be a total culinary wasteland, but it will be more of one when YOU leave! Thanks.
Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

#260 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

That was delicious!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog, Chocolate