Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: Chris Hennes - Pork and chocolate, together at last!

Foodblog Chocolate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
259 replies to this topic

#61 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:48 PM

OK, I ran out of grenadine last night, which was fortuitous since we have an active thread over here on the subject of making your own. Here is my attempt at Katie Loeb's recipe:
This really made wonderful grenadine: thanks, Katie! The orange flower water was a master stroke. You're a genius!  :cool:

Thanks Chris (and Katie by default.........) I've been eyeing that thread and wondering if I should give it a go. I made Alton Brown's version about 4 months ago, and its been living in my freezer pretty happily, but I've thought it missed...*something*. Couldn't quite figure out what, but it wasn't what I wanted. It's almost gone, and I will be making this soon. Cool.

And cool blog. Loving it so far, Chris. Now I just gotta remember to ROLL my pizza dough instead of try to stretch it. Aside from inherant clummsiness, I also am possessed by the vanity of relatively long nails (NOT talon-like...shudder), and that doesn't go well with thin doughs.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#62 Rehovot

Rehovot
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:50 AM

Great photos, Chris! Everything looks really sharp and crisp (or crispy, given the bacon/pork fest). :smile:
Did you already mention here or on another thread where you and your wife will be moving to--and what the food prospects are like there?

#63 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:44 AM

Oh, dear reader, the lengths I will go to to satisfy your (inexplicable) craving for the one true grilled sticky experience. Behold, ladies and gentlement, Ye Olde College Diner a.k.a. "The Diner":
Posted Image
Clearly, from this image, you may ascertain that there is no foie gras, no truffles, nay, this morning, no English frickin' muffins!! (though in their defense the high school-aged daughter of the owner was waiting the tables, and offered to go down to the store to buy some after her mother cussed her out).

The interior certainly belongs in the PA diner genre:
Posted Image

I was seated relatively promptly, but from there on out I felt like I was in an episode of Seinfeld: is that the Soup Nazi over there?!? Or maybe in a Philadelphia, a la Mamet: "oh, no, we don't have that, sir" to nearly everything the gentleman at the table next to mine requested. Bagels? Nope. English muffins? Nope. Cereal? Nope. ("Well, there may be a box of Total down there somewhere," shouts the owner from across the diner.)

Finally, the waitress begins walking to my table, presumably to take my order. Hah! Hah hah hah!!! Dream on, kid. She takes a seat with the two guys at the table across the aisle, and takes five minutes to eat some breakfast and chat up her friends. Grrr. I've been here 12 minutes at this point, and have received a single cup of coffee. No order taken, no refill, nada. I am starting to recall why I avoid this place...

Finally, the waitress leaves (presumable to go to the store, or to school, or something) and the owner notices my table. I put in my order and it comes out promptly. Incredibly promptly. Like, how did they have time to scoop the ice cream that fast?!? Here it is, the moment you have all been waiting for, THE GRILLED STICKY A LA MODE:
Posted Image
In all actuality, the sticky itself isn't bad, and the Penn State Creamery vanilla ice cream is perfectly acceptable. But for the love of god, you can get this at nearly every restaurant in town!! If you are ever in State College, walk the half block to the Corner Room and order exactly the same thing. It probably even costs the same! These grilled stickies are everywhere, which is presumably how The Diner stays in business.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#64 handmc

handmc
  • participating member
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:25 AM

Oh, dear reader, the lengths I will go to to satisfy your (inexplicable) craving for the one true grilled sticky experience. Behold, ladies and gentlement, Ye Olde College Diner a.k.a. "The Diner":
Posted Image
Clearly, from this image, you may ascertain that there is no foie gras, no truffles, nay, this morning, no English frickin' muffins!! (though in their defense the high school-aged daughter of the owner was waiting the tables, and offered to go down to the store to buy some after her mother cussed her out).

The interior certainly belongs in the PA diner genre:
Posted Image

I was seated relatively promptly, but from there on out I felt like I was in an episode of Seinfeld: is that the Soup Nazi over there?!? Or maybe in a Philadelphia, a la Mamet: "oh, no, we don't have that, sir" to nearly everything the gentleman at the table next to mine requested. Bagels? Nope. English muffins? Nope. Cereal? Nope. ("Well, there may be a box of Total down there somewhere," shouts the owner from across the diner.)

Finally, the waitress begins walking to my table, presumably to take my order. Hah! Hah hah hah!!! Dream on, kid. She takes a seat with the two guys at the table across the aisle, and takes five minutes to eat some breakfast and chat up her friends. Grrr. I've been here 12 minutes at this point, and have received a single cup of coffee. No order taken, no refill, nada. I am starting to recall why I avoid this place...

Finally, the waitress leaves (presumable to go to the store, or to school, or something) and the owner notices my table. I put in my order and it comes out promptly. Incredibly promptly. Like, how did they have time to scoop the ice cream that fast?!? Here it is, the moment you have all been waiting for, THE GRILLED STICKY A LA MODE:
Posted Image
In all actuality, the sticky itself isn't bad, and the Penn State Creamery vanilla ice cream is perfectly acceptable. But for the love of god, you can get this at nearly every restaurant in town!! If you are ever in State College, walk the half block to the Corner Room and order exactly the same thing. It probably even costs the same! These grilled stickies are everywhere, which is presumably how The Diner stays in business.

View Post

Thanks for suffering through that Chris.

Isn't half the experience suffering through the bad coffee and the service that is worse?

Soo, what's next? The final steps to making the chocolates you started last night?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------
One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

#65 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for suffering through that Chris.

Isn't half the experience suffering through the bad coffee and the service that is worse?

Soo, what's next? The final steps to making the chocolates you started last night?

View Post

I may have exaggerated the "suffering" bit a little: the coffee was perfectly acceptable, actually :smile: . The service really was so bad that I had to wonder if it was affected, like those places that were popular a few years ago esp. in Chicago where the waitstaff was deliberately rude. Somehow I doubt that, but you are all welcome to come here and find out for yourselves... just don't say I didn't warn you! :smile:

I'm at the office now, so the chocolates have to wait until this evening. I figured I would continue on with the tour of my kitchen, since that seems to be a foodblog tradition as well. Along those lines, this is a close-up of my kitchen bookcase, mostly containing cookbooks, of course:
Posted Image
I'm sure there are quite a few familiar volumes up there... the top shelf is baking and pastry, the next is bartending, general cooking, and the complete collection of Cook's Illustrated annuals. The third shelf down contains the "subject-specific" books, plus Joy (which didn't fit on the shelf above when I needed room for the Maraschino liqueur!). On the bottom are the references, seldom-used volumes, and the pasta machine my grandmother gave me when she discovered Di Giorno :shock: . This week you'll be seeing quite a bit out of Ruhlman and Polcyn's Charcuterie as well as Greweling's Chocolates and Confections. Also, about 50% of my dinners come out of the Cook's Illustrated annuals.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#66 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

I am always on the lookout for complicated cooking projects (I'm an engineer, I always look for the most complicated solution!!  :raz: ), and charcuterie ranks right up there near the top in terms of complication.

View Post

We arrive at complication from opposite directions. I seek the simplest effective solution, and view complication as a necessity rather than a goal. Oddly, we both wind up taking on complicated cooking projects.

I do draw the line at charcuterie, with one exception – I would love to make a good, crumbly Mexican chorizo that does not involve a meat grinder, “good mold”, or botulism. Any suggestions?

I am particularly struck by the remarkable light in your food pictures. Daylight or artificial? Any photography/equipment tips that you care to share?

That is an amazing kitchen for an apartment. Glad you didn’t burn it down. :raz:

Thanks to you, I am now hankering for a Manhattan. Unfortunately it is way too early and I am “working” on taxes. :rolleyes:

Your blog is great fun, and I look forward to enjoying more of your self-induced complications this week.

#67 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:56 AM

I do draw the line at charcuterie, with one exception – I would love to make a good, crumbly Mexican chorizo that does not involve a meat grinder, “good mold”, or botulism. Any suggestions?

Well, putting the kibosh on the meat grinder makes things tricky, but I have used a food processor successfully for "ground beef" before I got my grinder, so I suppose it would work OK for Mexican chorizo. Ruhlman's got a recipe in Charcuterie, but I haven't tried it yet. Mexican Chorizo doesn't require anything else exotic as far as I can recall.

I am particularly struck by the remarkable light in your food pictures. Daylight or artificial? Any photography/equipment tips that you care to share?

Thanks: I love food photography, so I spend more time than I really should doing things like white-balancing the images, etc. In general, the shots in my kitchen are taken with an external flash unit pointed at the ceiling, angled towards the rest of the kitchen light sources so the effect isn't too jarring. I typically use a wide-open aperture to give a very short depth-of-field, which I think is particularly effective for food, and I try to carefully white-balance the images. The shots taken elsewhere are all available-light shots, since I hate using a flash in public spaces. I am relaxing my self-imposed camera-in-restaurant ban for the week, at least when I am eating alone, but I still refuse to use the flash.

That is an amazing kitchen for an apartment. Glad you didn’t burn it down. :raz:

Me too! :biggrin:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#68 racheld

racheld
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

THE GRILLED STICKY A LA MODE:
Posted Image

Ice cream for breakfast!!! :wub:

It SOUNDS and looks delicious. What is the flavor---is there fruit in there, or a caramelly layer? When they grill it, does it stick to the grill?
Fairy tea has its own magic, for it never does run out;
And the flavour you imagine will come streaming from the spout.
Fairy Tea

My Blog--Thanksgiving and Goodwill

LAWN TEA

#69 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

OK, for dinner tonight I decided to go with pizza while the basil was still fresh.
And saucing it:

And here is the finished pie:
Posted Image

I had a bit of an adventure baking this: I cut my parchment sheet too large, and it curled under the pizza stones and came into contact with the heating elements (electric oven).

View Post

Hey Chris! I'm glad you had the adventure! I now know to put parchment paper under my pizza so that it can be easily moved to the stone.

Thanks! great looking pizza. :biggrin:
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#70 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

Ice cream for breakfast!!! :wub:

It SOUNDS and looks delicious.  What is the flavor---is there fruit in there, or a caramelly layer?  When they grill it, does it stick to the grill?

View Post

:biggrin: The ice cream for breakfast bit was a little much for me. I don't really care for much sugar at any time of day, but in the mornings especially. I drank a lot of black coffee with this "slice of heaven" :smile: . They don't grill it in front of you, so I don't know the mechanics of it, but there isn't a crisp layer, so I wouldn't be surprised if "grilled" was code for "held in the oven until ordered." The flavor is just carmel: no fruit involved. As far as caramel rolls go, these aren't bad, though. And as you may have gathered, they are what State College is "famous" for.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#71 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

Hey Chris! I'm glad you had the adventure! I now know to put parchment paper under my pizza so that it can be easily moved to the stone.

View Post

Yeah, it's sort of inexplicable to me why that is not recommended more (just make sure you trim it up so you don't set anything on fire!). I suspect that I am losing a little of the pizza stone effect since the stone can't absorb as much moisture through the parchment, but the crust still gets crisp, you don't have burning cornmeal, and it slides off the peel perfectly, without deforming.

Edited to correct first sentence.

Edited by Chris Hennes, 08 April 2008 - 08:46 AM.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#72 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

Hello. I am so enjoying your blog! Thanks!!!

#73 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

Lunch today was at one of the first places I ever ate at in State College, and probably the one that does the most repeat business from me over the years: the Golden Wok.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Over the years I have tried basically everything on their menu and arrived at the simple conclusion that the correct answer to "What would you like today" is "Beef chow fun, side of hot oil, and an egg roll."
Posted Image
Posted Image

A few colleagues today decided to add on some egg drop soup, as well:
Posted Image

The egg rolls here are worth the price of admission: GW is the only place in town to get a reasonably good, hot, crispy egg roll. The fact that the chow fun is mighty tasty is a bonus :smile: .

ETA: I forgot to mention the price---the chow fun and egg roll combo is about $7, which as far as I am concerned is a great value.

Edited by Chris Hennes, 08 April 2008 - 10:10 AM.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#74 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:07 AM

I mentioned in my first post yesterday that my days in State College were numbered. Well, now it's official: this summer I am moving to Oklahoma City. A few months ago I started an eGullet forum thread on places to eat in the OKC area, so if you live there and haven't checked it out yet, head on over and lend me a hand! One of the most exciting aspects of OKC, as far as I am concerned, is the prospect of having a gigantic garden someplace with a really long growing season. This summer I am going to have to live vicariously through the denizens of the eGullet gardening thread since I can't grow my own this year :sad: . But next year I will be back with a vengeance! Rumor has it I can grow just about everything there is to grow in the OKC region, but I'm most excited about tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, blackberries and strawberries. I'm already plotting a smoke house and a greenhouse, as well. This is gonna rock! (Sorry I won't be joining you in Philly, Katie and Sandy---no job offers there!)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#75 annecros

annecros
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

hehe, need some seed? I know some people. :biggrin: PM me, and I'll get ya stocked up for next spring.

#76 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

OK, I give! What is a grilled sticky? Is it a grilled sticky bun? I went to college in Pennsylvania and thought I knew all the local jargon...but apparently I still have lots to learn.
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#77 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

OK, I give!  What is a grilled sticky?  Is it a grilled sticky bun?  I went to college in Pennsylvania and thought I knew all the local jargon...but apparently I still have lots to learn.

View Post

Yeah, this is a State College-specific bit of jargon... they are just a caramel roll (a.k.a. a "Sticky bun") formed, it appears, by rolling up the dough into a pinwheel, slicing it into 2 inch segments, putting all those segments into a large rectangular cookie sheet, and baking it, so each bun comes out 2" thick and rectangular. They are then "grilled" in some way that no one actually seems to know. Topped with a scoop of vanilla Creamery ice cream, it is a local "delicacy." :smile:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#78 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

They don't grill it in front of you, so I don't know the mechanics of it, but there isn't a crisp layer, so I wouldn't be surprised if "grilled" was code for "held in the oven until ordered."

They are then "grilled" in some way that no one actually seems to know. Topped with a scoop of vanilla Creamery ice cream, it is a local "delicacy." :smile:

I think they have 'grilling' instructions on the boxes. I'd bet that they're done on a flat top or in a pan, probably with some fat (butter?).

Thanks for taking one for the team, Chris. :wink:

#79 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

I think they have 'grilling' instructions on the boxes.  I'd bet that they're done on a flat top or in a pan, probably with some fat (butter?).

Thanks for taking one for the team, Chris.  :wink:

View Post

Maybe at some places, but they would have to have a supernaturally fast grill man in the back to get me the sticky as fast as they did this morning. :smile: Do you recall the texture when you had one? The one this morning could easily have been microwaved, it had no crispness to it at all, like I would expect from grilling.

It's fun taking input from everyone here about things they want me to eat this week: keep the suggestions coming! :biggrin: I may complain about it, but I'll try to do it!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#80 MarketStEl

MarketStEl
  • participating member
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

I mentioned in my first post yesterday that my days in State College were numbered. Well, now it's official: this summer I am moving to Oklahoma City. A few months ago I started an eGullet forum thread on places to eat in the OKC area, so if you live there and haven't checked it out yet, head on over and lend me a hand! One of the most exciting aspects of OKC, as far as I am concerned, is the prospect of having a gigantic garden someplace with a really long growing season. This summer I am going to have to live vicariously through the denizens of the eGullet gardening thread since I can't grow my own this year  :sad: . But next year I will be back with a vengeance! Rumor has it I can grow just about everything there is to grow in the OKC region, but I'm most excited about tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, blackberries and strawberries. I'm already plotting a smoke house and a greenhouse, as well. This is gonna rock! (Sorry I won't be joining you in Philly, Katie and Sandy---no job offers there!)

View Post

I'm glad to hear that you've found rewarding work in the Southern Midwest and in a place where you can grow food for most of the year.

But Oklahoma City has never really floated my boat. I don't know whether it's the conservatism of the place or the flatness, but I've tended to regard the place much as I regard Wichita, the next sizable city to the north on I-35: I guess it will do, but there's better places to live.

However, you will have access to good barbecue -- the best barbecue joint in my native Kansas City now was co-founded by an expat Okie -- and distances in the Midwest being what they are, you can always tool down to Dallas-Fort Worth, a mere 150 or so miles to the south, for a weekend's worth of the Big City Experience, or take a slightly longer trek north-northeast up I-35 to my hometown. As you are a fan of the pig, I would highly recommend the latter, for short of finding employment in metropolitan Kansas City, you are likely to come no closer than you are now to the epicenter of American barbecue in your future career.

(I used to say that while I would always be proud to be from KC, I would never return there to live. After going back for my 30th high school reunion in 2006, I am no longer firmly convinced I couldn't live there again -- it's changed in several important ways without losing its special charms. But as it has no rail transit yet, it's probably still off my short list.)

Anyway, congrats again! Don't forget to duck -- or head to the bathroom if you don't have a cellar -- when the tornadoes hit in the spring!
Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia
"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen
My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

#81 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:56 PM

I mentioned in my first post yesterday that my days in State College were numbered. Well, now it's official: this summer I am moving to Oklahoma City. A few months ago I started an eGullet forum thread on places to eat in the OKC area, so if you live there and haven't checked it out yet, head on over and lend me a hand! One of the most exciting aspects of OKC, as far as I am concerned, is the prospect of having a gigantic garden someplace with a really long growing season. This summer I am going to have to live vicariously through the denizens of the eGullet gardening thread since I can't grow my own this year  :sad: . But next year I will be back with a vengeance! Rumor has it I can grow just about everything there is to grow in the OKC region, but I'm most excited about tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, blackberries and strawberries. I'm already plotting a smoke house and a greenhouse, as well. This is gonna rock! (Sorry I won't be joining you in Philly, Katie and Sandy---no job offers there!)

View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, Chris, but asparagus crowns take at least one year to get established, and you don't really see a good crop for 2-3 years, but oh, boy, are they worth waiting for!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#82 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

... but I'm most excited about tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, blackberries and strawberries. I'm already plotting a smoke house and a greenhouse, as well. This is gonna rock! (Sorry I won't be joining you in Philly, Katie and Sandy---no job offers there!)

View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, Chris, but asparagus crowns take at least one year to get established, and you don't really see a good crop for 2-3 years, but oh, boy, are they worth waiting for!

View Post

No worries, no bubbles burst here! The same is true of the strawberries and blackberries. The greenhouse and smokehouse are probably a few years away as well, but I'm hoping this move is pretty long-term.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#83 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

Your book case is funny--did anyone else notice the pasta maker being used as a bookend? :laugh:

Does it mean you use it so much you need to keep it handy, or that it's barely ever used, but heck, it makes a really good bookend!

#84 Gruzia

Gruzia
  • participating member
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

I hope I'm not stepping on toes if I answer a question or two that was before Chris's time here. La Bamba went out of business many years ago and is now occupied by Mario and Luigi's. That's been in place there for at least 15 years, I believe.

Chris - another question. I've seen that several restaurants in the area are now featuring pork from Hogs Galore, which is about 10 or so miles from here. Do you know anything about this outfit? Tried any of their pork offerings?

View Post

no, the one I'm thinking of would still have been in business in 2001 - it was up from where the McDonalds on College ave was - they really were burritos as big as my head! and for under 3 bucks!!! :sad:

#85 Wein1965

Wein1965
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

[quote name='Gruzia' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:50 PM']
[quote name='Wein1965' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:36 PM']
no, the one I'm thinking of would still have been in business in 2001 - it was up from where the McDonalds on College ave was - they really were burritos as big as my head! and for under 3 bucks!!! :sad:

View Post

[/quote]
Oh - I remember that one and I ate there a few times, too. Nope, it's gone as well. Not sure what's in its place. I'm thinking **maybe** that's around where they just put a new student apt building and it has a Starbucks and a DP Dough on the bottom floor, and that took over where everything else used to be.

#86 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

I think they have 'grilling' instructions on the boxes.  I'd bet that they're done on a flat top or in a pan, probably with some fat (butter?).

Thanks for taking one for the team, Chris.  :wink:

View Post

Maybe at some places, but they would have to have a supernaturally fast grill man in the back to get me the sticky as fast as they did this morning. :smile: Do you recall the texture when you had one? The one this morning could easily have been microwaved, it had no crispness to it at all, like I would expect from grilling.

It's fun taking input from everyone here about things they want me to eat this week: keep the suggestions coming! :biggrin: I may complain about it, but I'll try to do it!

View Post

Here in Lancaster a grilled sticky bun is a diner item as well. And it is sliced in half and grilled on the flat top with butter. A good grill guy will get it nice and crunchy and brown on the outside while still being soft and sweet in the middle. I must say that I have never seen them served with ice cream here.

Oklahoma City will be much different than State College. I hope in good ways. If you mentioned this forgive me for asking. Are you from PA or did you just arrive at State College for grad school?

#87 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Definite crispness. And we had good service. I don't know what happened that night -- it was all good!

#88 cdh

cdh
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

As a U. Texas alum, I must express shock and sympathy for your necessity to move into Okie territory. Fortunately for you, an eG brewer, Okbrewer, lives down there and keeps the place civilized by making good beer.
Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#89 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

Your book case is funny--did anyone else notice the pasta maker being used as a bookend? :laugh:

Does it mean you use it so much you need to keep it handy, or that it's barely ever used, but heck, it makes a really good bookend!

View Post

Hah! I use the pasta maker reasonable frequently, as I love fresh pasta. I want one of those contraptions that fits on the KA stand mixer, but for now, this one is great. :smile:

Oklahoma City will be much different than State College. I hope in good ways.  If you mentioned this forgive me for asking. Are you from PA or did you just arrive at State College for grad school?

View Post

I'm from Minnesota originally, but my wife is from PA. I'm here for grad school, but in all honesty Philly is just about my favorite city, even before I met the eG gang there. There is a great food culture in this state, even in State College. I can't think of another town this size that has a Wegmans as well as three quite good restaurants.

As a U. Texas alum, I must express shock and sympathy for your necessity to move into Okie territory.  Fortunately for you, an eG brewer, Okbrewer, lives down there and keeps the place civilized by making good beer.

View Post

lol, I like TX a lot, esp. Dallas. Dallas is very close to OKC so I hope to get down there pretty frequently. If there is not an eG community there now, there will be soon!!

OK, I hope this all sounded reasonable: I just got back from dinner at Zola's. Did I mention that I like this place? Any place where I order a Negroni and instead of saying "Huh?" the waiter says "Do you have a gin preference?" is good in my book! I'll give you the rundown of the dinner tomorrow: I'm not entirely sober now! I like Negronis a lot... :biggrin: Talk to you all tomorrow---keep the questions and suggestions coming.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#90 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:18 PM

:sad: Chris! So sad you won't be joining us here in the city of Brotherly Sandwiches. I was looking forward to having a new buddy for "Foodie calls". :biggrin: This is most distressing news indeed. I hope Oklahoma City works out just as you wish. You'll certainly be able to garden there. I suspect houses with yards are a lot easier to come by out that way.

It's taken me a day to catch up with your blog. I've been in bed since yesterday with some inexplicable stomach virus or something. Fever, chills and general ickyness of all sorts. I missed the grenadine making until now. Looks like it came out just perfect! Really not so difficult, right? Make yourself a Jack Rose for me. I won't be drinking for a couple of days. Posted Image

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog, Chocolate