Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Converting European and American Recipes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Eber

Amy Eber
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

Does anyone have experience converting European baking recipe measurements to American or American to European? Do European bakers actually weigh out dry ingredients for such things as cakes and cookies and how does that convert to cups, teaspoons and tablespoons? I have seen several conversion charts but there is quite a disparity amoung them. Thanks.

#2 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

It's not only European bakers that weigh out ingredients.......American ones do too.
Weighing is ALWAYS the best and most accurate way to measure ingredients......bar none.

But if you want to convert, this conversion calculator is the handiest and most accurate one out there......... :smile:

Edited by chefpeon, 24 March 2008 - 09:14 AM.

#3 Amy Eber

Amy Eber
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:32 AM

I baked prfessionally in the US and we did weigh everything but I am looking to convert small scale US recipes since I teach and now live in Switzerland but also want to convert back for my teaching jobs in the US. Have you tried thsi calculator with any success?

It's not only European bakers that weigh out ingredients.......American ones do too.
Weighing is ALWAYS the best and most accurate way to measure ingredients......bar none.

But if you want to convert, this conversion calculator is the handiest and most accurate one out there......... :smile:

View Post

#4 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

Have you tried thsi calculator with any success?

I use it all the time and vouch for it personally! :smile:

#5 dougal

dougal
  • participating member
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

Do European bakers actually weigh out dry ingredients for such things as cakes and cookies

Really, yes.

Its easier, and much more accurate. Hence more consistent - particularly between different bakers. Thus weight measurements are a better means of communicating a recipe.

A digital scale can be accurate, precise and cheap - about £8 in the UK - say SF15 or $15?
I'm sure you could pay lots more. You needn't.
Learn to use the 'Tare' function, and you'll love it.

... and how does that convert to cups, teaspoons and tablespoons? 

Don't !! :cool:
Its much better to use the measurements as given.

I have seen several conversion charts but there is quite a disparity amoung them. Thanks.

View Post

The reason for the variation is that the quantity of flour that fits into a cup depends on who is filling it, the type of flour, etc.
Its the actual concept of a "cup" of flour that is imprecise, hence the variability.
Technically, the variation arises because the packing density of flour is variable, and unspecified.

Have you noticed that flour is *always* sold by weight, never volume?
Even in the USA.
Ask yourself why that might be...
:smile:
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

#6 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

Does anyone have experience converting European baking recipe measurements to American or American to European?  Do European bakers actually weigh out dry ingredients for such things as cakes and cookies and how does that convert to cups, teaspoons and tablespoons?  I have seen several conversion charts but there is quite a disparity amoung them. Thanks.

View Post

The hassle of converting is most often what prevents me from trying recipes found online or buying cool, American cookbooks.

I weigh out everything, and in Denmark (and presumably the rest of Europe) you can buy a measuring cup with grammes on it for a range of things, like sugar and so on, similar to this one (click on image for larger image). Not hugely accurate, but still better than having to convert everything to volume :raz:

I can only recommend weighing :-)

Edited by Mette, 24 March 2008 - 12:23 PM.

#7 Rehovot

Rehovot
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

The online GourmetSleuth calculator ChefP mentions is the one I use at work to adapt cookbooks for the US/UK market. It's good and precise.