Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Moose (Merged topic)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Alex Parker

Alex Parker
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

Hey everyone!

So the poor old Moose seems to have deteriorated between the time it was killed and the time it was frozen, as It had such an off putting smell I had to throw it out. It was like sour fecal or something, Nasty. Anyways, I ended up just doing shortribs instead and they were lovely! I served those with a chocolate cheese, and a really nice coconut bbq sauce that I did up. Really mellow, with a bit of heat, and it offset the richness of the Cheese nicely!

Alex

#32 ElainaA

ElainaA
  • participating member
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have been given some moose meat by a friend whose husband recently went on a hunting trip in Labrador. I have a large roast (I think about 3 -4 lbs.) and a package of cubes marked stew meat. While I have occasionally cooked venison I have no experience with moose. Does anyone? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

#33 MasteringTheFlame

MasteringTheFlame
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

A great way to cook up the moose roast is putting it in a crockpot. First I would brown the roast on all sides, then put it into the crockpot. I'd add any sort of seasonings you like, but a simple thing to do is just put in a pack of dried onion soup mix. Add about two cups of apple juice, cover and cook in the crockpot for about 6 to 8 hours. It should turn out pretty tasty and tender. You can also take some of the liquid out and use it to make a gravy.

#34 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Ten pounds of ground moose I got last night from my hunter buddy. Tourtière tomorrow. The meat is lean and tough - lots of pork fat and spices will help.

• judiu likes this
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#35 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

Mom came up behind me while I was reading this and reminded me that my uncle used to fill our freezer with moose when I was younger.  She swears by marinating it in beer (preferably ale), garlic, and onions for a couple of days and then searing and stewing.

• judiu likes this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#36 ElainaA

ElainaA
  • participating member
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

I made moose stew - braised for 2 hours with stock and wine, lots of onions, some carrots and potatoes and a seasoning packet that was given to me with the moose - the first time in almost 50 years of cooking that I have used one of those. It was sent to my friend from a friend of hers in Germany and was labelled (in German) 'Hungarian Goulash' (thanks, google translate). I don't read German and did not translate the ingredients list but I think it was largely paprika. The end result was good but not all that different from a beef stew - much closer to beef than is venison. I still have a venison roast in the freezer - that's going to be part of Christmas dinner.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina