Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

The Fruitcake Topic

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

#241 viva

viva
  • participating member
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

Viva,
I am so pleased, and I know MeeMaw would be also, with all the mileage you are getting out of her cherished receipt.  I prepared a double batch early last month and canned it in pint jars (instead of the usual quarts) because I finally figured that a pint of the stuff is quite enough for smaller cakes, steamed puddings, bread dressing as a side dish, etc.  I used it to stuff a rolled pork loin roast that I served with Cumberland sauce and everyone raved about it. 
How about posting the recipe for your cream cheese pastry dough.
My neighbor, Leila Obregon, asked for a jar and she is going to use it in empanadas.  Her dad asked if I had ever tried using it in a mix for sausages - which gave me an idea to try - I just have to order some of the narrow casing to stuff finger-sized ones.  I have some duck meat and some venison in the freezer that should make up into very tasty sausages.

View Post

The empanadas sound like a great idea! I think the mincemeat is going to be one of those things I will always have a few jars of in the cupboard. You and MeeMaw are wonderful for sharing it.

The cream cheese pastry dough is an easy one - it's just Rose Levy Berenbaum's Flaky Cream Cheese Pie Crust from Pie & Pastry Bible. It's one of those pie doughs that I always have a disk of in the freezer. Although I bet the mincemeat would go nicely with a lard/butter crust too.

Topic? Saveur had a nice black cake recipe this month that I'm thinking of trying next year. I think it's funny how all the magazines publish their fruitcake recipes in December, when really you need to make them a couple of months earlier!!
...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

#242 ncorrigbl

ncorrigbl
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

I have had my fruit soaking for a year. I always start it in Jan for the following Christmas, soaking the fruit in overproof rum (Wray and Nephew), and Red Label jamaican wine. I use Laurie Colwins recipe as a start. I will probably start on this batch of fruit late, as work has been crazy busy. A dear friend from the islands lost her mom last year, and she brought home her mom's jar of fruit that has been soaking since last year as well. I have the honor of cooking up this cake and only hope to come close to hers!

Edited later in the day to add that I made the cakes today. All this reading about it MADE me get to them. (OK, so nobody gets Christmas cards this year!!!!)
Made three 8 inch and five 6 inch cakes. Took a nibble of one, and am loopy already!!! Mixed kosher wine and J Wray to soak them in, and couldn't wait another minute. STRONG, but delicious! They'll mellow in a few days and be ready to give out!
Thanks for the inspiration! :laugh:

Edited by ncorrigbl, 20 December 2006 - 07:08 PM.

#243 ncorrigbl

ncorrigbl
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:52 AM

I'd love to see pictures of that basket. Must have been a huge hit!

Edited by ncorrigbl, 20 December 2006 - 07:08 AM.

#244 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:34 AM

I think I've finished baking fruit cakes - 6 cakes and 3 dozen muffin-sized cakes.

I started thinking about the chocolate issue, and so included big chunks of dark 6% chocolate and lightly toasted walnuts in the muffin cakes. A nice variation!

I am happy to report that even my advanced English class ate them (Japanese people are usually a bit wary about fruit cake). The beginners missed out, because they meet in the language lab, where food is forbidden :rolleyes: (as I regularly have to remind them).

The 3 fruit cakes that I took in for the other English teachers, however, kept getting kidnapped, though they finally made it to their intended destinations!

#245 Kris

Kris
  • participating member
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW DO I WRAP THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!
I have some black cakes and some round tins...should I wrap the cakes in muslin and then....something? and then place them in the tin?? I'm just not sure how the inside of the tin arangement should work out.
Also, do these things get frosted or anything? Should I make a hard sauce to give with it?

Help please...today is one of my last days to get these things finished!

I then thought I'd tie the tins with bows...

I also have some rectangular ones that don't fit into tins any suggestions for those would be great too..

View Post

Sorry about the late reply, but I wrap my black cakes in a large piece of plastic food wrap. Then I place them inside the tin/plastic container (whatever I'm using to store them in).

I'm happy to report that even though I got a late start with baking my black cakes, they were a hit. I only made 9 but I sold all of them without any leftover. Actually I ran short this year since a few of my customers came back to ask if I had any more left. Maybe next year I'll make a full dozen of them.

Of the 6 mini bundt sized ones I made, I gave 4 to my mom and kept 2 for myself.

#246 Kris

Kris
  • participating member
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

...Saveur had a nice black cake recipe this month that I'm thinking of trying next year.  I think it's funny how all the magazines publish their fruitcake recipes in December, when really you need to make them a couple of months earlier!!

View Post

This does seem rather shortsighted doesn't it? LOL But I guess publishing a black cake recipe in the summertime (when most people aren't even thinking of Christmas cakes) would seem premature. :laugh:

#247 lenabo

lenabo
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:57 AM

I've organised (think out combining several recipes) great fruitcake without eggs and butter to keep the fast and I love it very much!

Posted Image
I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

#248 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 934 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

Beautiful cake, beautifully displayed!
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#249 Cookwithlove

Cookwithlove
  • participating member
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

Recently a friend gave me a Block of fruit cake wrapped in Foil and when I unfolded it, the alcohol gushed out. That fruit cake create a deep impression in me eversince. My wife liked it so much that she pursuaded me to learn and make it ourselves so that we can have it fresh from the oven. I told her wait! i have to be online and ask the expert in egullet for help. Can anyone enlightens me?
主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房
"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

#250 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:42 AM

Hee, hee. I think Janet and I are the resident fruitcake supporters. We support your ravenous chase for fruitcake.

Try this book -- Favorite Fruitcakes: Recipes, Legends and Lore from the World's Best Cooks and Eaters by Moira Hodgson. You can get it from Amazon. Dolores Casella's World of Baking (also out of print, but available from Amazon or eBay) has a healthy section on fruitcake.

Enjoy your quest for the perfect fruitcake.

#251 Cookwithlove

Cookwithlove
  • participating member
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

Hee, hee.  I think Janet and I are the resident fruitcake supporters.  We support your ravenous chase for fruitcake.

Try this book -- Favorite Fruitcakes:  Recipes, Legends and Lore from the World's Best Cooks and Eaters by Moira Hodgson.  You can get it from Amazon.  Dolores Casella's World of Baking (also out of print, but available from Amazon or eBay) has a healthy section on fruitcake.

Enjoy your quest for the perfect fruitcake.

View Post

Thank Linda 4 sharing. What is the exact title of this book and by whom and lastly I got a question to ask? How to lessen the sweetness in fruit cake?
主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房
"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

#252 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 934 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

World of Baking by Dolores Casella.

It's out of print. You can get it on eBay or half.com.

How to make a fruitcake less sweet? I would imagine, adding less sugar to the cake batter. Or, actually, less fruit. You may want to up the nut ratio a bit and cut down on the fruit. Or include less sweet, tarter fruits like cranberries. Dates are terribly sweet and when I get too many in my fruitcake I'm displeased. Too sticky sweet. Ditto on figs. You may want to stick with all dried fruit and avoid candied fruit.

One of the wonders of fruitcake is the opportunity to make interesting fruit and nut combinations. Janet has an interesting light fruitcake recipe above and her explanation of her dark fruitcake vs. her light fruitcake shows up what I'm talking about.

An easy way to ease in to fruitcake is to try a fruitcake cookie -- Maida Heatter has a wonderful cookie called the California Fruit and Nut Bar -- something like that. One steams three fruits -- I believe date, apricot and fig -- and puts them into a cookie with either walnuts or pecans, I forget. A bar cookie. That tastes a great deal like fruitcake without the expense of time and money. Not as satisfying, but a baby step. I can email this to you if you PM me, which will remind me to do it when I'm at my home computer.

#253 Cookwithlove

Cookwithlove
  • participating member
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

World of Baking by Dolores Casella.

It's out of print.  You can get it on eBay or half.com.

How to make a fruitcake less sweet?  I would imagine, adding less sugar to the cake batter.  Or, actually, less fruit.  You may want to up the nut ratio a bit and cut down on the fruit.  Or include less sweet, tarter fruits like cranberries.  Dates are terribly sweet and when I get too many in my fruitcake I'm displeased.  Too sticky sweet.  Ditto on figs.  You may want to stick with all dried fruit and avoid candied fruit.

One of the wonders of fruitcake is the opportunity to make interesting fruit and nut combinations.  Janet has an interesting light fruitcake recipe above and her explanation of her dark fruitcake vs. her light fruitcake shows up what I'm talking about. 

An easy way to ease in to fruitcake is to try a fruitcake cookie -- Maida Heatter has a wonderful cookie called the California Fruit and Nut Bar -- something like that.  One steams three fruits -- I believe date, apricot and fig -- and puts them into a cookie with either walnuts or pecans, I forget.  A bar cookie.  That tastes a great deal like fruitcake without the expense of time and money.  Not as satisfying, but a baby step.  I can email this to you if you PM me, which will remind me to do it when I'm at my home computer.

View Post

I learned somethings from you. Grateful. My e-mail:duriank24@yahoo.com.sg. Linda can you share what type of oven you use at home for baking? Good day!
主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

#254 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 934 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

I'm glad I was able to be of help. Poor fruitcake has such a bad reputation and it is so very fun to make and really satisfying to eat.

I'll email you a couple of recipes from home.

#255 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 934 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

I forgot to answer the oven question -- I don't have a convection oven or anything -- I have a very old gas oven that needs a new gasket and the temperature controls are off.

But it works.

#256 Kris

Kris
  • participating member
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

I have the last of my 12 black cakes in the oven as I type this. At least I'll have 3 weeks to let them mellow out in the port/rum mixture this year. :)

#257 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

I have the last of my 12 black cakes in the oven as I type this.  At least I'll have 3 weeks to let them mellow out in the port/rum mixture this year. :)

View Post

Ooooohhhh! I'll send you my address asap!

:biggrin:

#258 Genny

Genny
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

Has anyone tried Kerry Beal's recipe posted on Recipe Gullet: Phil's White Fruitcake? I don't see that sugar is listed in the ingredients but it is mentioned in the instructions.

Thanks!
Genny

#259 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

Made my first two fruitcakes yesterday. :cool: One was Kerry Beal's Phil's white fruit cake made with trader joe's dried strawberry/blueberry/cherry mix that I had been soaking in Matusalem platino rum for several months. I made them in muffin and mini muffin tins and I snacked on the mini ones all day. They were awesome fresh out of the oven with a little butter. :wub: Even better with a small glass of Disaronno. :wub: :wub: The other recipe was the Bob's red mill recipe my mom had lost from years ago that I dug up on the net. Only nibbled on a small corner since I did it as a loaf and it said to let it set in the fridge for a couple days before cutting. Planning on wrapping it in rum soaked cheesecloth for awhile. Very happy with my first fruitcakes. And here I thought I hated the stuff. :rolleyes: Thanks for all the recipes and tips guys!
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org
Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

#260 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

I should note that I didn't use the yeast listed in the ingredient list on the Bob's Red Mill recipe. Now that I've cut into it, I think it needs a little work. It's one of those that barely has enough batter to hold it together and I think it could use a bit more. Mom really likes the flavor of the whole wheat pastry flour used in it though. Got it wrapped in cheesecloth soaked in Zaya rum and tucked away in a cool place. We'll give it some time and check in on it.
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org
Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

#261 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

My oven was just delivered. :cool: . So my fruitcakes won't be aged as long as usual - any favorite "fast fruitcake" recommendations gratefully received.

I'm planning on making one very lemony fruitcake with crystallized mini-tomatoes and ginger, and also looking at the semolina fruitcake mentioned on p. 6 of this thread.

I dream of making one that includes with crystallized violets and angelica along with candied orange and lemon slices, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

#262 Veena

Veena
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:40 AM

I've organised (think out combining several recipes) great fruitcake without eggs and butter to keep the fast and I love it very much!

Posted Image

View Post

Lenabo, do you mind sharing your recipe? I am planning on baking a Christmas cake this year (first time!) and would like to eliminate the eggs.

Veena

#263 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:43 AM

Helen, if you think a cookie might work, I have two recipes for cookies that taste like fruitcake and are really delicious. I'll send them if you like, PM me.

Is that recipe with angelica a fantasy or do you really have one? I'd like it if you do. I've never seen a fruitcake recipe that calls for angelica.

I ordered a bunch of fruit and nuts last night for mine, hoping I can make it Thanksgiving weekend, which is when I usually do.

I bought five pounds of organic walnuts!!!

#264 Pat W

Pat W
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

Helen, if you think a cookie might work, I have two recipes for cookies that taste like fruitcake and are really delicious.  I'll send them if you like, PM me.

Is that recipe with angelica a fantasy or do you really have one?  I'd like it if you do.  I've never seen a fruitcake recipe that calls for angelica.

I ordered a bunch of fruit and nuts last night for mine, hoping I can make it Thanksgiving weekend, which is when I usually do.

I bought five pounds of organic walnuts!!!

View Post

Hi Lindacakes,

I'm not Helen, but I've been looking for a really good fruitcakey cookie. Could I get those recipes too?

pat
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

#265 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,447 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Helen, if you think a cookie might work, I have two recipes for cookies that taste like fruitcake and are really delicious.  I'll send them if you like, PM me.

Hi Lindacakes,

I'm not Helen, but I've been looking for a really good fruitcakey cookie. Could I get those recipes too?

pat

View Post

I'm not Lindacakes, but here's my recipe for Fruitcake Cookies.

It's in the wonderful Christmas Cookies thread.

Fruitcake Cookies
"And you, you're just a stinker."

#266 Pat W

Pat W
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

Hi Lindacakes,

pat

View Post

I'm not Lindacakes, but here's my recipe for Fruitcake Cookies.

It's in the wonderful Christmas Cookies thread.

Fruitcake Cookies

View Post

OK, folks. How's this for a senior moment? After misplacing this recipe, I managed to forget that I made them last year. They were, I might add, a huge success. So I highly recommend them.

Sigh.... If only I had realized I was going to need all those brain cells back in my misspent youth, I might have taken better care of them. :rolleyes:

pat
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

#267 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:18 AM

Thank you for the fruitcake cookie recipe - I find Japanese friends enjoy the spicey fruity taste without the mature aroma of fruitcake.

I have used angelica in fruitcakes when I can get it (especially light fruitcakes), and love the combination of violets and citrus....but until I get a source for them, that will be a dream. I think they would be great for a summertime downunder fruitcake. Anybody feel like experimenting?

Currently candying some green "oroblanco" grapefruit peel for some color contrast. It takes several days to finish the candying process, but I like grapefruit peel in fruitcake...anything to avoid a cake dominated by the excessively violent sweet and sour taste of most candied pineapple.

#268 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:29 AM

I have used angelica in fruitcakes when I can get it (especially light fruitcakes), and love the combination of violets and citrus....but until I get a source for them, that will be a dream.

View Post

Are you looking for angelica? I've seen it at Tokyu Hands, but just one or two short sticks of it for maybe Y500? I can't remember now.

#269 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:14 AM

Yes, I've seen those two-stick packages occasionally too!

I now have several little bags of fruit soaking in either brandy with CC lemon (a lemon soft drink, rum, or Asahi's "Ginger Draft" beer (OK to drink, but even better for cakes!). Ginger ale + brandy/Grand Marnier works well too, both to soak fruit and to sprinkle on finished cakes.

What are your favorite soaking and sprinkling liquids/liquors?

#270 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 934 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

I am partial to port.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert