Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Blondies

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:17 PM

Canucks all over....is this the time to educate our gringo friends about Butter tarts, or is that a major thread of its own?

Could that be the same thing as a banburry (sp?) tart. That too is nothing but a butter tart with a fancy name. English in origin. We had it in India as kids. It certainly would deserve it's own thread either way.

#32 gknl

gknl
  • legacy participant
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:25 AM

I agree. Not that there are official definitions in this regard, but to me a white chocolate "brownie" (dare I ask what it should be called . . . ) does not qualify as a blondie. In a brownie the chocolate permeates the entire thing. In a blondie the chocolate should be in chip or chunk form surrounded by cookie-ish dough.

So when can we expect the definitive taxonomy of brownies and bar cookies? Alice Medrich puts them in the same chapter. :wink:

What does one call these things made with white chocolate? Brownies hardly seems appropriate after all. Why can't "blondie" simply refer to brownies without the chocolate?

And whatever you want to call these things, they're good. :raz: 7 oz of melted white chocolate and 5 oz of coarsely chopped along with macadamia nuts. If you like white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies, then you'll like these things too.

#33 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:33 AM

What does one call these things made with white chocolate?  Brownies hardly seems appropriate after all.

You're not going to get me to say it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#34 gknl

gknl
  • legacy participant
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 01:59 AM

What does one call these things made with white chocolate?  Brownies hardly seems appropriate after all.

You're not going to get me to say it.

I'd say it, but I'm only half which makes it, uh, inappropriate. :laugh: