Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Blondies

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:46 PM

What should one from another culture (like me) know about Blondies?

As a kid, I grew up eating desserts from many different countries. I was familiar with several westedn desserts long before moving to the US. Blondies never made it to my world in India.

I am ready to learn all there is to know about them.

What should I know?

Is there a near perfect recipe for them?

WHen does one eat them?

Any Blondie lore?

#2 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:51 PM

A blondie is simply a pan cookie. You make chocolate-chip cookie batter and instead of putting it in dollops on cookie sheets you put it all in one big mass in a rectangular baking pan, and when it's done you cut it into squares -- like brownies. The standard Toll House cookie recipe works very well for this; we make it all the time at our house.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#3 cugel_the_clever

cugel_the_clever
  • legacy participant
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:52 PM

Those blondies are trouble, I tell ya, trouble.

#4 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:53 PM

Here's that Toll House cookie recipe, from the Nestle site:

http://www.verybestb...6&BrandSiteID=2

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#5 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:54 PM

A blondie is simply a pan cookie. You make chocolate-chip cookie batter and instead of putting it in dollops on cookie sheets you put it all in one big mass in a rectangular baking pan, and when it's done you cut it into squares -- like brownies. The standard Toll House cookie recipe works very well for this; we make it all the time at our house.

That simple, eh?
You use Tollhouse cookie stuff? Really? Is it like "Duncan Hines"? Amazing stuff I learn daily at eGullet.

#6 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:55 PM

Here's that Toll House cookie recipe, from the Nestle site:

http://www.verybestb...6&BrandSiteID=2

Our posts crossed paths. Nevermind. Thanks!

#7 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:55 PM

I think the blondie recipe from Nestle is identical to the Toll House cookie recipe, save for the different cooking method:

http://www.verybestb...7&BrandSiteID=2

#8 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:56 PM

I try not to give my personal business to Nestle. Are there any other recipes or tips??

#9 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:57 PM

I guess I can still use the recipe and just not use Nestle chips.

#10 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:58 PM

Oh, I didn't imagine you'd use crappy ass Nestle chips. You definitely want to use a better species of chocolate. Just in terms of the proportions of ingredients, though, the Nestle recipe is excellent. You can vary it in all the ways you can vary chocolate-chip cookie recipes if you want to emphasize crunch or other attributes, but the basic Toll House recipe is well balanced, time tested, and gives good results in most every instance.

#11 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:05 PM

Oh, I didn't imagine you'd use crappy ass Nestle chips. You definitely want to use a better species of chocolate. Just in terms of the proportions of ingredients, though, the Nestle recipe is excellent. You can vary it in all the ways you can vary chocolate-chip cookie recipes if you want to emphasize crunch or other attributes, but the basic Toll House recipe is well balanced, time tested, and gives good results in most every instance.

Good to know. I was getting a little worried that you were endorsing Nestle. :wink:

#12 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:10 PM

Oh, I didn't imagine you'd use crappy ass Nestle chips. You definitely want to use a better species of chocolate.

And what would you suggest I use Fat Guy?

#13 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:13 PM

What should one from another  culture (like me) know about Blondies?

That they are fake!! Imposters! Poseurs! Stay away!! :shock:

And aside from that, I don't mind so much when they're called "blondies." At least that name suggests they're something in their own right, which perhaps they are. I turn into a vampire when they're called "blond brownies." BROWNIES ARE NOT BLONDE!!!

Well, you asked. :smile:

#14 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:19 PM

This thread is not at all what I thought it would be. I haven't been this disappointed since the debut of the Barenaked ladies video.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

#15 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:19 PM

Suvir, I have a blondies variation in my post on the brownies thread. It's more of a confection than a cookie.

#16 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:25 PM

Suvir, I'm a big fan of El Rey Bucare chocolate chips for their funky, almost fermented taste, but if you're a serious bitter chocolate lover you might want something more than the 58% they offer. If you don't need the convenience of chips, you can just go straight to a block of chocolate like Valrhona 72% and chunk it up yourself.

#17 gknl

gknl
  • legacy participant
  • 520 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:44 PM

I have a recipe for one with white chocolate and macadamia nuts. It's pretty rich, calling for 12 oz of white chocolate total. It's in a Bon Appetit Favorite Restaurant Recipes special edition (1992) but it's not on the website for some reason. PM me if you want it.

It's not a toll house cookie or a brownie, but it's still pretty good. Actually, the recipe is from Stephen Pyles of Goodfellow's in Minneapolis who says it's "the brownie of childhood, only made with white chocolate instead of dark."

#18 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:48 PM

That is a nouvelle blondie.

#19 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:52 PM

I agree. Not that there are official definitions in this regard, but to me a white chocolate "brownie" (dare I ask what it should be called . . . ) does not qualify as a blondie. In a brownie the chocolate permeates the entire thing. In a blondie the chocolate should be in chip or chunk form surrounded by cookie-ish dough.

#20 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:53 PM

There need not be any chocolate at all in a blondie.

#21 CathyL

CathyL
  • legacy participant
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 06:20 PM

To me 'blondie' means chewy/cakey in texture - i.e., a non-chocolate brownie (although chips are optional) - not crispy/cookie. And I'm with cakewalk here - a brownie without chocolate is like, like, a weebl episode without pie.

If we're talking crisp bar cookies, my favorite take on FG's idea is Maida Heatter's Crisp Toffee Bars from her 'Book of Great Chocolate Desserts.' No eggs, dark brown sugar, nuts and chocolate chips, dough spread thin in a jelly-roll pan, so they turn out toasty crunchy yummy.

#22 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 06:41 PM

I'm sticking with the Nestle definition for both the basic chocolate chip cookie and the basic blondie. I can't say for sure, but I think you'll find this to be the one that resonates with the greatest number of Americans -- at the very least most anyone will have to admit that like it or not Nestle has defined the American chocolate chip cookie genre for generations. Our house recipe is just slightly different, but still recognizable as Toll House-derived:
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons premium vanilla extract (such as Nielsen-Massey)
* 2 jumbo eggs
* 12 oz bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
The departures from Toll House are double the vanilla, larger eggs, non-Nestle chocolate, no nuts, and a couple of specifications that are lacking in the Toll House recipe (dark brown sugar, unsalted butter). Also, we do all the mixing by hand -- literally.

#23 CathyL

CathyL
  • legacy participant
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 06:56 PM

Maybe it's a regional thing. :biggrin:

#24 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 07:16 PM

As Cathyl says, maybe it's a regional thing. Growing up in Canada, a blondie was also called a "Butterscotch Brownie", had no chocolate of any kind in the recipe.

Blend and pat into 8" greased pan :
1/2 c Brown sugar
1/3 c. butter
1 c. flour

Mix together:
2 eggs
1 c. brown sugar
2 T. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
3 T. cream
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped walnuts and/or coconut

Pour into pan. Bake at 350 1/2 hour,,,or slightly less

Killer. A Canadian Blondie,

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#25 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 07:22 PM

Blondies (Butterscotch Brownies -- the formal name)

1/3 cup butter
¼ tsp. salt or less
1 cup light brown sugar
2 unbeaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup sifted flour

1. Melt butter. Remove from heat and stir in sugar until dissolved.
2. Beat in remaining ingredients except for the strawberries. Mix only until flour is incorporated.
3. Bake in a greased and floured 8” square pan at 350 degrees for 23 minutes. Do not overbake.

Do not attempt to cut into squares until cool.

Chocolate chips, nuts or small pieces of fruit may be stirred in before pouring the batter into the baking pan.

#26 Blondie

Blondie
  • participating member
  • 689 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 08:24 PM

Those blondies are trouble, I tell ya, trouble.

:laugh: :huh: :blink:
Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

#27 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:47 PM

Barron's sides with the blondie = butterscotch brownie position.

But of course I'm right and Barron's is wrong, as usual.

#28 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:49 PM

Suvir:

I'm sure there are blondie variations all over the country/world (the Canadian version sounds interesting!) but in my book, the cake of the blondie should simply be overwhelmingly buttery and brown sugary with big chunks of pecans and chocolate.

Try this one:

Unsalted Butter, softened 1/2 cup (4 oz.)
Light brown sugar 1 cup (7.66 oz.)
Egg, large 1
Vanilla extract 1 1/2 tsp.
Unbleached a/p flour 1 cup (5 oz.)
Baking powder 1/2 tsp.
Baking soda 1/4 tsp.
Pecans, toasted, chopped 1 cup (4 oz.)
Semi(or bitter)-sweet choc chips 1 cup (6 oz.)

Spray (or butter) 8" square pan and line with foil (foil must come up and over sides). Spray (or butter) foil. Preheat oven to 350.

Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda.

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat until light in color and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and mix briefly to combine. Stir in nuts and chocolate. Batter will be very thick. Spread gently into pan so as not to tear foil.

Bake exactly 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan then lift out by overhanging foil.
kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"
Weebl

#29 Saffy

Saffy
  • participating member
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:56 PM

My blondie recipe is similar to those above, but has the chocolate chunks and pecans sprinkled over the top rather than mixed through the batter. I make blondies about once a fortnight, they keep quite well and the kids love them in their lunch boxes. Less expensive to make than a really good brownie.

#30 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:59 PM

Fat Guy..this is your chance to show that you are a Real Man and say you're wrong. Barron's is right. We'll still respect you.

Canucks all over....is this the time to educate our gringo friends about Butter tarts, or is that a major thread of its own?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com