Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Seeking Tiki Ingredients and Worthy Substitutes

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

"guaranteed on artificial pigment"
Which is cool because I've found a couple of local Brazilian markets that carry bottle passion fruit juice, but it's all orange-colored nectar. The bottle pictured above has the color I would have expected to see.

Edit: "the bottle pictured above" is actually now on the previous page.

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey, 09 August 2009 - 09:33 AM.

#62 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

Wanted to report on this find:

Posted Image

This stuff is fantastic, extremely thick and flavorful. 1/2 t goes a loooooong way. As far as I can tell, it's pretty pure stuff:

Posted Image

Honorably produced, indeed.

View Post

So you are using it as is for Passion Fruit syrup?

#63 lperry

lperry
  • participating member
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:12 AM

I'm really surprised that you can find these bottled juices but can't find the frozen pulp. Here, even in the relatively boring Giant store a couple of blocks away, I can get passionfruit pulp (no added anything) in 14 oz frozen packages from both Goya and La Fe brands. With a little simple and a nice silver rum, it makes a delicious daiquiri. Mixed as mentioned above 1:1 with simple, it makes a great passionfruit syrup that I have been using in equivalent proportions to what is listed in the Grog Log and Intoxica. I prefer a dryer drink, and this mixture is fantastic. Have you ventured into the frozen foods to check to see if they carry these? If they do, you will also find coconut, tamarind, pineapple, peach, blackberry, guanabana........

#64 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

View Post

That "juice" isn't quite as sweet as a syrup, so I have to fiddle with it.

I'm really surprised that you can find these bottled juices but can't find the frozen pulp.

View Post

I've looked and can't find it. Believe me, I've tried.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#65 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

View Post

That "juice" isn't quite as sweet as a syrup, so I have to fiddle with it.

I'm really surprised that you can find these bottled juices but can't find the frozen pulp.

View Post

I've looked and can't find it. Believe me, I've tried.

View Post

Chris, a suggestion: if the 'main stream' markets don't carry the Goya brand, try the smaller (more grungy) Hispanic markets. You'd be amazed! HTH!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#66 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

I live in South Providence and I'm surrounded by small Latino stores. Can't find it. Trust me on this one. Really!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#67 lperry

lperry
  • participating member
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

^That's a shame. If you can't find it locally, I've found that the bags will remain frozen for several hours if you stack them in a cooler with a couple of cold packs. They form something of a solid block of fruit/ice.

#68 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

^That's a shame.  If you can't find it locally, I've found that the bags will remain frozen for several hours if you stack them in a cooler with a couple of cold packs.  They form something of a solid block of fruit/ice.

View Post

I'm in Dallas - the hispanic markets seem to carry every brand of goya frozen pulp except passion fruit. Very strange.

Right now I'm trying the Goya passion fruit product from concentrate (20% juice); I don't have a good basis for comparison to a good syrup though.

#69 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

^That's a shame.  If you can't find it locally, I've found that the bags will remain frozen for several hours if you stack them in a cooler with a couple of cold packs.  They form something of a solid block of fruit/ice.

View Post

Just beware! I threw in a bag each of frozen passion fruit and dragon fruit pulp in our cooler on the way to vacation; the dragon fruit leaked as it thawed, and everything, including our parmesan cheese, was dyed a most interesting fuchsia.
"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#70 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

Looking through Beachbum Berry's Sippin' Safari, I see there are several drinks that call for vanilla syrup, either directly or in proprietary mixes. He recommends buying Fee's, but it doesn't seem that hard to add some vanilla extract to simple syrup. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how much vanilla per volume of (I'm assuming 1:1) simple syrup to make a passable vanilla syrup? Thanks!
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#71 John Rosevear

John Rosevear
  • participating member
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

I made a lovely, somewhat potent vanilla syrup the same way he suggests making cinnamon syrup, steeping half a vanilla bean in the hot syrup as it cooled. You could probably get away with a smaller piece of bean.

I also made a 2:1 syrup with a milder vanilla infusion, which makes amazing Mai Tais.
John Rosevear
"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

#72 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

Looking through Beachbum Berry's Sippin' Safari, I see there are several drinks that call for vanilla syrup, either directly or in proprietary mixes. He recommends buying Fee's, but it doesn't seem that hard to add some vanilla extract to simple syrup. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how much vanilla per volume of (I'm assuming 1:1) simple syrup to make a passable vanilla syrup? Thanks!

I generally add a generous half oz (or perhaps closer to 3/4 oz) of vanilla extract to about a cup and a half of 1:1 simple (1 cup sugar and 1 cup water).
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman