Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

pink coloring in frozen lobster meat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RachelAnn

RachelAnn
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:48 AM

We serve west Australian lobster tail where I work, and we noticed today that some of the tails had some pink discoloration. I know pigmentation in scallops varies, so I wonder if this is similar or if it has to do with the freezing conditions of the tails? Does anyone know if this is something we should be wary of?

#2 jmcgrath

jmcgrath
  • participating member
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

We serve west Australian lobster tail where I work, and we noticed today that some of the tails had some pink discoloration.  I know pigmentation in scallops varies, so I wonder if this is similar or if it has to do with the freezing conditions of the tails?  Does anyone know if this is something we should be wary of?

View Post

I can't speak for frozen lobster tails, but fresh lobster picks up some pink coloration (not discoloration) along the edges when it is cooked. The pink is just on the surface. It may be bleeding from the shell pigmentation, but that's only a guess.

Jim

#3 RachelAnn

RachelAnn
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

This meat is raw and is supposedly flash frozen. The most info I have found is that it could have been chilled for a while to loosen the membrane that holds the meat in the shell. The membrane releases pink pigmentation when it disintegrates. It seems strange that there is so little info on the web about this!