Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

McDonald's Filet-O-Fish

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#61 feedmec00kies

feedmec00kies
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

It's good to know that other people don't mind/like the Filet-o-Fish. :smile:  It's one of the only ways I survive being pushed into a fast-food-eating situation when traveling (usually traveling upstate). My boyfriend claims it's supposed to be the least healthy of all of their food (supposedly he heard that somewhere), but looking at the nutrition info... it's not the best by any means, but it's certainly not the worst. And I think that it being an actual piece of fish, and not composed of ground [insert animal meat here], I try to think of it as a bit less sketchy..

View Post

next time you find yourself in a McDonalds, order a salad. I suggest the southwestern salad (if it's on the menu. That one vanished from the menu at a McDonalds in L.A., but it's still here at my local McDonalds in Dallas). They aren't a half bad alternative.

View Post

Yeah, salads have been the other thing I've eaten at fast food places... though I'm not a fan of (white meat) chicken, so I usually get the salad if there isn't the Filet-o-Fish (so that I'm still ingesting protein), or a side salad instead of fries.
"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."
- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

#62 DCP

DCP
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:27 AM

I'm not sure whether to blame it on the extremely late night volunteering after work, or the nagging subliminal suggestions originating from this thread, but... I had an FOF last night. I had to wait several minutes for them to make it fresh (which they were quite nice about) as it was just prior to closing.

First impression: liquid hot magma. Yes, I was told it was being made fresh. No, I did not stop to think about that before sinking my teeth in.

The processed cheese was a little strange, and the tartar sauce not evenly spread - I had to let it gush out of one portion, then dip a dry one in the fallen blob. Somehow, it all tasted decent enough, but made me crave a fish sandwich I had about 6 years ago. (A 'motorcycle hill climb' in rural Pennsylvania to which a friend dragged me - absolutely incredible fried fish sandwiches stole the show from the main attraction.)

In any case, if memory serves me (it rarely does) this may be the first time I've had the FOF. Pretty good for McD's food, but I still think I'll go back to avoiding the place now.
David aka "DCP"
Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

#63 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

For comparison's sake, I bit the bullet and went to McD's yesterday.

Here's the filet-o-fish in Japan.

No fancy box, but a slightly better-for-the-environment paper wrapper (supposedly recyclable, but I have my doubts), complete with the cell phone URL to get nutritional data (that part didn't make it into my picture).
Posted Image

My bun is not only wrinkled, but pock-marked!
Posted Image

And it's lopsided, too! Perhaps that is one of the traits of FoF around the world--they must be lopsided. The fish definitely wasn't fresh out of the fryer, unlike the very popular shaka shaka chicken I saw them pulling out.
Posted Image

FWIW, I watched the guy making my FoF, and it wasn't lopsided when he put the top of the bun on. I think the fish slid around a bit when it got wrapped up.

I liked it. It's pretty much the only thing I ever order at McD's, other than the apple pies (can I post my fried apple pie pics here, too? I think Holly needs to discuss the tragic loss of fried apple pies in North America...and the fried cherry pies, too).

#64 smallworld

smallworld
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

Mine wasn't fresh either and to me that totally defeats the purpose of deep-frying it. What good is fried food if it doesn't have that crunch?

I guess McDonalds Japan really has switched to pre-cooking everything. When my husband and I went last everything we got was lukewarm and soggy, even the fries. They can't possibly get away with pre-cooking the fries, can they? Do you know any tricks for getting stuff freshly made (My husband's usual tactic of asking for no mustard and ketchup didn't work)?
My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo
My regular blog: Blue Lotus

#65 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

For fries the only thing you can do is to ask for them unsalted. Pretty much everything else is made ahead, so unless you're lucky enough to get there when they've just run out of whatever you've ordered, you're going to get something that isn't as fresh. The shaka shaka chicken is very very popular right now, and sells out almost as soon as a batch is fried, at least in my area, so you could just order that all time! When I returned to Japan in 2004, everything at McD's was fresh when ordered. How I miss the "good ol' days". :smile:

#66 pennbrew

pennbrew
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

Count me among those who loved these as a kid, but who hasn't had one in years (decades?). I also used to love the orange drink McD's served--it must have been in the late 60s/early 70s?

Anyway this thread inspired me to try one. It was a disaster--a soggy, mushy, salty mess. It was hard to tell where all the salt was, but it was over-the-top salty. Was it in the sauce? The cheese? The breading? All of the above???

I gave up on McDonalds years ago. I've always found their sandwiches to be too soft and squishy, lacking in any texture. Great for kids who think solid food is icky, I guess.

The final straw was during one of their promo blitzes for a (now long-forgotten) Whopper challenger, a burger they bragged was for grown-ups. I tried one, sure enough, it was a soft, mushy, disgusting experience.

Whether today's FoF had simply sat too long or the mushy texture was intentional, I don't know. I doubt I'll try again to find out...

Edited by pennbrew, 27 February 2008 - 07:23 PM.

#67 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Oh... I just have to tell this FOF story!!!

Last fall, a little black greyhound girl came to the track and was terrified of everything. On her fourth night in the kennel, the regular trainer was off and the fill-in guy didn't really understand how freaky this little girl was. When she went out to "do her business", something spooked her and she jumped the fence outside the kennel. I didn't hear about it until she'd been gone more than a week. We tried to find her, but there is a LOT of empty land, woods, swamps, etc. around the track and we live an hour away. We never saw her. Then, FOUR MONTHS later, we got a call...

She started visiting a plant nursery across the road from the track, hanging out with the owner's dog. He called us and we started trying to catch her. We tried for DAYS, but no luck. She'd come close, but not close enough.

So, my DH drove 8 hours round trip to borrow a live trap large enough for her. We told the nursery owner not to feed her that day.
When DH arrived with the trap, I went to Mickey D's and bought 2 FOF.
(I was trying to think what would be the most enticing thing I could put in the trap and my dogs LOVE fish!) We baited the trap and went away for a few minutes. When we came back, Beth was in the trap!!!

After four months "on the lam", FOF brought Beth to safety! She's now in a wonderful home and I got a cute framed photo of her for Valentines Day! :wub:

I've since told other greyhound folks about our FOF success and they've used it to capture several lost dogs.

We ordered them sans tartar sauce, because I think it has onions, which is a no-no for doggies.

Do ya think Mickey D's would want to do a commercial featuring the FOF as bait???

Pam

#68 dockhl

dockhl
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

Awwww........
I want a rescue greyhound. I'd feed her fish (occasionally).

My dogs (not greyhounds) would love FOF. However, the only thing I have seen that dilated my girl dog's pupils (that she had NEVER seen before) was a fresh hot glazed Krispy Kreme donut !

Of course, I've not brought a fresh FOF into the house, either. Might be an experiment worth doing.

I come away from this thread with two guiding principals:

1. If you cannot get it right out of the fryer, don't bother.

2. Price point: Lenten Friday special: $1.29
Any more may well be too much to pay.

:wink: K

#69 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • participating member
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:32 PM

Well, my goodness, if FoF can save nice greyhounds and collaterally usher them to good rescue homes, that lowly fast-food sandwich has far exceeded whatever potential I might imagine its provenance could provide.

I have neighbors with three beautiful rescue greyhounds, all brindle (which I consider the canine equivalent of my beloved feline tortoiseshell), and I never fail to stop and admire the array when the greyhound rescue people are outside the pet food big-box emporium on the wknd. Extremely sweet nice dogs.

Puts me in mind of how the writer Daniel Pinkwater on his NPR commentaries said how his Malamutes howled for English muffins when they saw by the Golden Arches.

Priscilla

~Observing Taco Friday since 2010~

Twitter InstagramOCFoodNation.com Orange Coast Magazine

#70 jsmith

jsmith
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hope nobody minds me going little off topic, but the above discussions raised a couple questions for me:

Are Catholics not supposed to eat meat every Friday throughout the year, or just during Lent?

I know Kosher doesn't allow mixing meat and dairy, but is fish considered meat?

#71 tino27

tino27
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

I'm not sure whether to blame it on the extremely late night volunteering after work, or the nagging subliminal suggestions originating from this thread, but... I had an FOF last night.

View Post

So I'm headed off to class last night and the only thing even close to the school is a McDonald's. I begrudgingly pull in not even thinking about a FOF sandwich until I get up to the microphone. I think I have to agree with DCP here, this thread must be subliminally affecting me because I open my mouth and out pops "FOF combo please".

It was actually better than I remember it being. Although the cheese is forgettable. And when I peeled off the top bun to check out the tarter sauce, it was lopsided as well (as noted in a previous post).

Given my predilection not to eat the burgers at McD's, I think I may now have a "go to" sandwich for when a visit cannot be avoided.
Food Blog: Exploring Food My Way: Satisfying The Craving -- Exercising my epicurean muscles by eating my way through everything that is edible.
Flickr: Link To My Account
Twitter: @tnoe27

#72 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hope nobody minds me going little off topic, but the above discussions raised a couple questions for me:

Are Catholics not supposed to eat meat every Friday throughout the year, or just during Lent?

View Post

I can answer the 2nd part: Fish is not considered "meat" for Kosher meals, since it is not a mammel (and doesn't feed it's young with it's own milk).
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#73 tino27

tino27
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

View Post

I can answer the 2nd part: Fish is not considered "meat" for Kosher meals, since it is not a mammel (and doesn't feed it's young with it's own milk).

View Post

And hopefully, I can answer the first.

My grandmother (who is very Catholic) and I just had this discussion last week. The current trend is fish on Fridays during Lent only.
Food Blog: Exploring Food My Way: Satisfying The Craving -- Exercising my epicurean muscles by eating my way through everything that is edible.
Flickr: Link To My Account
Twitter: @tnoe27

#74 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

My grandmother (who is very Catholic) and I just had this discussion last week. The current trend is fish on Fridays during Lent only.

View Post

My grandfather still does it all year round.

#75 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

For comparison's sake, I bit the bullet and went to McD's yesterday.

Here's the filet-o-fish in Japan.
Posted Image

And it's lopsided, too!...FWIW, I watched the guy making my FoF, and it wasn't lopsided when he put the top of the bun on.

View Post

It looks like the bun is trying to spit the fillet out. :blink:

#76 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

Lenten food-related obligations for Catholics were revised about forty years ago after Vatican II. Basically, no meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all Fridays of Lent and complete fasting on Ash Wed and Good Friday. Here are a few more details: click

edited to add: I tried the Wendy's fish sandwich last Friday. Only one sample, but there was not enough tarter sauce for my taste; the sandwich was a bit dry. The sandwich was nice and crisp though; the fish was fine and it also had a piece of lettuce. I might try it again asking for extra tartar sauce... :smile:

Edited by ludja, 28 February 2008 - 06:18 PM.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#77 feedmec00kies

feedmec00kies
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'm not sure whether to blame it on the extremely late night volunteering after work, or the nagging subliminal suggestions originating from this thread, but... I had an FOF last night.

View Post

...I think I have to agree with DCP here, this thread must be subliminally affecting me because I open my mouth and out pops "FOF combo please"...

View Post

Heh, I was trying to figure out what to get for lunch today (and by lunch, I mean I mentioned to my superior, "Hmm, maybe I should eat" at 3:30 :shock: ), and I almost went to McDonalds for a FoF too! I think more than anything, I've eaten them before, so it's more that this thread has reminded me that they're available.
"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."
- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

#78 jsmith

jsmith
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:05 AM

View Post

So is a fillet-o-fish kosher then, or does the other non kosher food "prepared" there negate that?

#79 nliedel

nliedel
  • participating member
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

I believe I was told, and I was a religions major in college, so I used to really know this stuff, that the no fish on Friday changed to no fish on Friday during Lent, after Vatican II. Don't quote me on that, though.

I want a FoF in the worst way now.
Blog.liedel.org

#80 DCP

DCP
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

View Post

So I'm headed off to class last night and the only thing even close to the school is a McDonald's. I begrudgingly pull in not even thinking about a FOF sandwich until I get up to the microphone. I think I have to agree with DCP here, this thread must be subliminally affecting me because I open my mouth and out pops "FOF combo please".

View Post

I knew I wasn't the only one whose food 'choices' were being subconsciously manipulated by many a prior eGullet browse. Next thing you know, you'll be looking all over for a McRib fix.

So much for avoiding fast, mass-produced food.
David aka "DCP"
Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

#81 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

Well, before this thread started I hadn't had a FOF in years. I had one last week. It was pretty good, too. And yesterday, just for comparison purposes, I had a Burger King fish sandwich. McD's is better - the fish in the BK one was 'fishy' tasting and they put way too much lettuce on it. But McD's doesn't have cheesy tots :wub: :laugh: !

#82 CKatCook

CKatCook
  • participating member
  • 594 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

Lately around here in the southern part of the US there is the double FOF available. I do like them, but agree they have to be out of the fryer fresh. They are good. I also like Burger King's BK Big Fish, but only with bacon on it.
"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"
-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

#83 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Well, before this thread started I hadn't had a FOF in years.  I had one last week.  It was pretty good, too.  And yesterday, just for comparison purposes, I had a Burger King fish sandwich.  McD's is better - the fish in the BK one was 'fishy' tasting and they put way too much lettuce on it.  But McD's doesn't have cheesy tots  :wub:  :laugh: !

View Post

Fish Sandwich Rule No. 1: No fishy taste.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#84 laniloa

laniloa
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

As far as the fish goes, here is what the McDonalds website says about that

Our Filet-O-Fish sandwich is made from white fish from the cold, deep waters of the Pacific Ocean and Bering, Baltic and North Seas. We take pride in the fact that the quality standards we use when preparing fish far surpass federal requirements.

http://www.mcdonalds...lity0/meat.html

View Post

There was a big fight in Congress a few years back that pitted the fillet types against the surimi types. Executives from McD had to beg for the future of the beloved fillet-o-fish. Glad to see it was all worth it!

#85 blenny

blenny
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:09 AM

When I'm out on the road I'll end up having a double FOF every couple of months, and have found a huge disparity in the quality and ingredients, everything from no tartar and a 1/2 slice of cheese, to an excess of sauce and 2 whole slices of cheese. I've also found that if you order the double, it's a good thing to check and make sure that's what ends up in your bag. On a couple of occasions I'd left and was on my way before discovering I got a single. And yes, I will agree, they're better wrapped in paper than boxed. By far my favorite, and pretty much only, fast food item!

#86 MoGa

MoGa
  • participating member
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

The filet-o-fish was the item I most like as a child, and the only item from the menu I still occasionally order.

The original post is a wonderful account of its inception, the part about the sauce having to be mixed daily is fascinating even if that is no longer the case.

The sad part about this product is that it varies wildly around the world. It isn't particularly nice in Tokyo (the prawn burgers there are much better), nor in Spain and I didn't care for it at all in New York.

Strangely, it's consistently best in England, and from what I can tell (as a 4 minute wait is almost standard for me) it's made to order outside the peak periods.

I'd like to give up MacDonalds entirely but the craving I have is specifically for the tartare sauce (which I am sure is premixed and has been since the 80s in England). A couple of times a year I'm drawn back, I put napkins around the bun (because the tartare sauce inevitably drips off onto my clothes or shoes) and eat one. One is never enough, but eating two makes me feel queasy, so I stop after the first.

I don't know what it is about the tartare sauce that has me hooked. I never put tartare sauce on anything I make, and I don't like any commercially available brand. Perhaps it's just as well I probably never tried the original multi-component version, I'd probably have loved it.

Strange how the strongest cravings we get are often for foods that we acknowledge as not being particularly good or delicious.

#87 brokentelephone

brokentelephone
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

View Post

So is a fillet-o-fish kosher then, or does the other non kosher food "prepared" there negate that?

View Post

FoF is not kosher. For the food to be kosher, it must be prepared in a kosher kitchen, and all ingredients must be certified kosher as well (bun, fish breading, etc.), though less observant jews might order the FoF over a beef burger. Beef must be ritually slaughtered, etc., but all permitted fish is intrinsically kosher.

#88 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

In Japan, the filet-o-fish is now priced at just Y100!!!

Even if it's not as good as it used to be, for Y100, I might be eating them more often than before (plus the fried apple pie is only Y100, too!).

#89 elfin

elfin
  • participating member
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

We caught the 100 Yen FOF in July! We thought it was some kind of special. Our two girls (5 and6) love FOF but still want the Unhappy Meal toy. So they end up eating both their nuggets and my FOF! Arby's (AKA Arf'ees) had a great Lenten Cajun Fish sandwich with spicey tatar sauce. Can't wait for next year to see if it is on offer again.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

#90 pauladsous

pauladsous
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

I join those now suddenly craving deep fat fried fish.

View Post

To quote docsconz, "Who doesn't?"

I personally prefer the Burger King "Big Fish" f/k/a "The Whaler" to the Filet-o-Fish (at least the regular Filet-o-Fish, the Deluxe Filet-o-Fish - with lettuce and a better bun - wasn't bad).

Interesting factoid, according to Wikipedia, is that in non-English speaking countries, the Filet-o-Fish is called FishMac, McFish or Fish Filet. I am skeptical, however, of the Wikipedia claim that a Filet-o-Fish or McFish or whatever has only 400 calories. Every one that I've ever been served always had at least 400 calories of "tartar sauce" on board.

FWIW, the Wikipedia site states that "The Filet-O-Fish contains a breaded fish patty made mostly from pollock and/or hoki[citation needed], half a slice of processed cheese and tartar sauce, on a steamed bun."

I think another name for "Hoki" is whiting, if so, I'm not surprised that it has replaced cod in the Filet-o-fish.

View Post

Well actually here in Switzerland, we have both the FoF AND the McFish, which is different: simply bun, fried fish and catsup.
The Swiss love their chicken too with the Mc chicken & Chicken Mythic and the aviary flu thing certainly didn't cause a drop in sales...brave Swiss people :raz: