Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#61 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

Haha, the video was halarious! I love the woman eating the egg at 2:00

#62 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

Today's email from Gear Patrol included this interesting meat tenderizer

It looks like it belongs in a torture chamber (along with some of the antique gadgets I have collected.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#63 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

I love that fancy automated spatula. One could shape foams, soft gels etc, and them move them into place (if one left enough width for working room). fun fun fun!

Is anyone selling two matched steel bowls and calling them a Garlic Peeler yet?
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#64 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

Some high-end brands are producing full-surface induction cooktops where the whole space can be used (rather than having three or four circles). They adapt automatically to whatever pot size and shape your place over them. Perfect for indoors big paellas :smile:

For example, Gaggenau makes this one (not available in Gaggenau US)

Holy crap that's a beautiful cooktop. Unfortunately, the interface leaves something to be desired and the limitation of 4 pans max renders many of it's potential advantages moot.
PS: I am a guy.

#65 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

So, everyone knows how much I like gadgets. People send me links to sites that have new and interesting items that may be of interest to me.

I just got a couple of these - they were on another site but I got them from Amazon.

A "baggy holder" that has "arms" that extend to handle larger baggies - I use mostly the Zip type.

Shown with a quart size and with a gallon size. It seems stable. I did pour in some dry beans to see how stable it would be.
I had another baggy holder some years ago but it had a narrower base (as I recall) and kept tipping over. I have yet to try this one with liquid but I think it should work and it's cheap enough to toss if it doesn't live up to the hype.
blue zip is a quart bag
bag holder 1.JPG
bag holder 2.JPG
red zip is a gallon bag
bag holder 3.JPG
bag holder 4.JPG
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

#66 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

That is actually a very clever and useful thing.

dcarch

#67 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

I have tried filling it with different things and with liquids and semi-liquid things I can hold a canning funnel in my left hand while pouring into the bags and it works perfectly.

Using a ladle alone can result in some exterior drips but ladling with the funnel also works well.

I'm sending one to my daughter as I think it will be useful for her and using additional ones should make things even more handy. She fills a lot of plastic baggies for lunches.

Edited by andiesenji, 10 January 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#68 GlowingGhoul

GlowingGhoul
  • participating member
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

So, everyone knows how much I like gadgets. People send me links to sites that have new and interesting items that may be of interest to me.

I just got a couple of these - they were on another site but I got them from Amazon.

A "baggy holder" that has "arms" that extend to handle larger baggies - I use mostly the Zip type.

Shown with a quart size and with a gallon size. It seems stable. I did pour in some dry beans to see how stable it would be.
I had another baggy holder some years ago but it had a narrower base (as I recall) and kept tipping over. I have yet to try this one with liquid but I think it should work and it's cheap enough to toss if it doesn't live up to the hype.
blue zip is a quart bag
bag holder 1.JPG
bag holder 2.JPG
red zip is a gallon bag
bag holder 3.JPG
bag holder 4.JPG

That would be great for sous vide and vacuum packaging in general!

#69 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

I have tried filling it with different things and with liquids and semi-liquid things I can hold a canning funnel in my left hand while pouring into the bags and it works perfectly.

Using a ladle alone can result in some exterior drips but ladling with the funnel also works well.

I'm sending one to my daughter as I think it will be useful for her and using additional ones should make things even more handy. She fills a lot of plastic baggies for lunches.

I'm sold! Gotta get a couple of those. So frustrating sometimes to fill bags especially with liquids and I do a lot of S-V so keeping the seal clean matters a lot. Thank you for sharing. You are the Queens of Kitchen Gadgets for certain.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#70 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

I can't imagine raining on any ones parade.

that being said:

consider, say a 1 QT saved yogurt container.

consider putting your Bag in that and fold over the top edges so it Fits and you do not contaminate the top.

Works well for me.

re: SV: Ive cut the bottom off a study plastic container that 'fits well' in the SV bags, which I also place in a 1 qt yog. container for stability, then add the Stuff. I have two of these ( well more than one of each size) one for the smaller bags and one for the larger bags. (several for each)

this Funnel saves the top of the SV bag form liguids and helps for a seal.

maybe ill take some pics tomorrow?

works Gooodly.

#71 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I can't imagine raining on any ones parade.

that being said:

consider, say a 1 QT saved yogurt container.

consider putting your Bag in that and fold over the top edges so it Fits and you do not contaminate the top.

Works well for me.

re: SV: Ive cut the bottom off a study plastic container that 'fits well' in the SV bags, which I also place in a 1 qt yog. container for stability, then add the Stuff. I have two of these ( well more than one of each size) one for the smaller bags and one for the larger bags. (several for each)

this Funnel saves the top of the SV bag form liguids and helps for a seal.

maybe ill take some pics tomorrow?

works Gooodly.

Yeah - it works - but it's not a gadget damnit - and we love gadgets!

#72 Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon
  • participating member
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

I believe I am on track for developing a ice cube tray that will produce clear ice cubes in a normal home refrigerator! I will post more as things develop.

I think there's a market for something like this.

#73 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

well, it is a gadget. its just one you make.

you could paint it in some sort of Techicolor and E-bay it.

then you could buy it back for Cheeeep. You could use the postage you give yourself for more:

Calamari!

:rolleyes:

#74 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

Isn't the water and not the tray?

#75 emannths

emannths
  • participating member
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Doesn't look like it, if your definition is "perfectly clear": http://www.alcademic...loo-cooler.html

#76 Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon
  • participating member
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

A Tip 'O the Hat to Camper English. I enjoy his writings immensely, but he hasn't presented what i consider a practical product that could produce clear ice cubes (I'm not talking about sticking an igloo cooler in my freezer). Also, he hasn't written about a key concept in producing clear ice, that makes the product i'm thinking about feasible.

If this works, it will produce standard size, clear ice cubes, in any home refrigerator, without taking over the entire freezer compartment.

#77 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

A Tip 'O the Hat to Camper English. I enjoy his writings immensely, but he hasn't presented what i consider a practical product that could produce clear ice cubes (I'm not talking about sticking an igloo cooler in my freezer). Also, he hasn't written about a key concept in producing clear ice, that makes the product i'm thinking about feasible.

If this works, it will produce standard size, clear ice cubes, in any home refrigerator, without taking over the entire freezer compartment.

I think you are right - there is a market for something like this. I look forward to adding your gadget to the rest of my gadgets!

#78 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

That is actually a very clever and useful thing.

dcarch

I agree. so many times.. I'm trying to put things liquid in my sous vide bags..one handed trying to hold the opening. to keep it dry.

Thanks
Its good to have Morels

#79 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

Doesn't look like it, if your definition is "perfectly clear": http://www.alcademic...loo-cooler.html

I don't think he disproved that gas in the water is responsible for cloudy ice. Boiling water first will drive off gas, but it will reabsorb as it cools down to freezing unless its cooled in a vacuum.

#80 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

This is not a new gadget but when I got an email from Thermoworks with a "deal" on "open box" Thermapens at a discount, I ordered one.

This time I opted for PURPLE mostly to distinguish it from my others.

I think the color is really cool.

HPIM4706.JPG
HPIM4707.JPG

#81 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

They say the purple are the fastest!

#82 phatj

phatj
  • participating member
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

It came with a purple iPad? :wink:

#83 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

It came with a purple iPad? :wink:

No, I got the iPad a few weeks ago and got the purple "jacket" for it to keep it from sliding around. I've also got a folding case with bluetooth keyboard for travel. I love gadgets.

This Thermapen is certainly faster than my older Thermapens and the Super-Fast dishwasher safe pocket digital (also Thermoworks).

I think the Purple does look "faster" :laugh: - I like purple in clothes but haven't had much purple kitchen stuff - I have a pitcher with a purple cow on it. Somewhere in my "stuff" I have one of the Nambé bowls that is silver on the outside and purple on the inside.

#84 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Well, the votes are in: Purple (on-sale) TPens are the best! Mine arrives later today!

this replaces an 8 yo Red, which used to be the best. Currently it gets confused from time to time.

Edited by rotuts, 26 July 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#85 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Well, the votes are in: Purple (on-sale) TPens are the best! Mine arrives later today!

this replaces an 8 yo Red, which used to be the best. Currently it gets confused from time to time.

I think it is a pretty good deal. A friend in Oz. has ordered four, one for herself and the rest for holiday prezzies.

#86 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yah! purple is the new Red.

I think pink might make its case, buy I don't think they had any!

#87 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

This is not a new gadget but when I got an email from Thermoworks with a "deal" on "open box" Thermapens at a discount, I ordered one.

How does your "open box" unit differ from New?
(I ordered a yellow one).

Monterey Bay area

#88 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

How does your "open box" unit differ from New?
(I ordered a yellow one).

As far as I can tell, it looks perfect. There is absolutely no evidence that it was ever used or even taken out of the package.

#89 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

As far as I can tell, it looks perfect. There is absolutely no evidence that it was ever used or even taken out of the package.

I was thinking some of them might be new overstock in colors that aren't selling.

Monterey Bay area

#90 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Received my "open box" yellow Thermapen - it appears to be new/unused, so I assume it's overstock.

It's bigger than I imagined, and the "yellow" is more like a school-bus yellow.

Looks like a Fisher-Price™ banana slug.

Monterey Bay area