Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

How do you say pork belly in French?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rubyred

rubyred
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

Hi all!

I need to know how to ask my butcher for pork belly ASAP!

Also, does anyone know if Berkshire pork is available in Montreal?

Thanks!

#2 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

Try << poitrine de porc >>
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#3 fedelst

fedelst
  • participating member
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

You might wish to explain that you need Lardons. Which is essentially unsmoked pork belly. In most cases you can use some meaty fatback. But if you are making cassoulet, the belly works best.

Or.... you can try a butcher who does know. The guys at Fairmount Butcher on St. Laurent near Schwartz's are the gods of all things pork.

Hi all!

Thanks!

View Post

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

#4 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

You might wish to explain that you need Lardons. Which is essentially unsmoked pork belly.

Hi all!

Thanks!

View Post

View Post

lardons are only one of many cuts available from pork belly
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#5 jayt90

jayt90
  • participating member
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hi all!

Thanks!

View Post

If you have an Asian store with a meat counter, there will likely be a pile of pork bellies, for less than $4/lb. All you have to do is point :raz:

Edited by jayt90, 18 January 2008 - 01:37 PM.

#6 cookatlarge

cookatlarge
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

it's flanc de porc if i'm not mistaken

#7 Culatello

Culatello
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

FLANC DE PORC i BELEIVE IS THE EXATCT TERMINOLOGY

I concur !!

Edited by Culatello, 18 January 2008 - 04:52 PM.

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia
My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994
I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

#8 -sheila mooney

-sheila mooney
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Thanks!

View Post

i got some delicious berkshire ham at the cheese shop at atwater market (the one where you walk down the steps to the counter at the back). not run of the mill, for sure.

#9 rezcook

rezcook
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hi all!

Thanks!

View Post

If you have an Asian store with a meat counter, there will likely be a pile of pork bellies, for less than $4/lb. All you have to do is point :raz:

View Post

KV on St Laurent just above LaGauchetiere (Kien Vinh, I think). Loads of pork products in the meat case (bellies, nice hocks, trimmed leg parts), cheap, and good. I've used a few bellies from here to make bacon. Oh, they don't care if you speak french or english (actually I don't think they understand either...not that this is a bad thing...).

#10 rezcook

rezcook
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

BTW, loving pork belly so much, I thought the topic heading was actually

"How do you say NO to pork belly in French?"

#11 rubyred

rubyred
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

I actually went to that grocery in Chinatown last night and, no, I don't think they speak either language. I kept asking the guy the weight of the piece in English and French and got no response. No matter, I got my pork!

Thanks for you help guys!

-Porkelle

#12 rezcook

rezcook
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

Just curious, whatcha gonna do with the belly?

#13 rubyred

rubyred
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

Just curious, whatcha gonna do with the belly?

View Post

I made David Chang-style Pork Buns for a friend's party. The pork came out great but the store-bought buns I bought left a lot to be desired.

Live and learn...

#14 rezcook

rezcook
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

That's curious, the thread below, marked eating Chinese in MTL discusses Momofuko pork buns at length, but you probably already know that...

Since we're talking about something close to my heart, if you like Chinese Roast pork, may I suggest epiceree Sun Sing Lee (or some variation of those words). On the south side of Lagauchetiere between Clark and St. Urbain roughly across from the 7-day buffet.
This guy does his own whole hogs. Just ask him and he'll proudly show you his brick-lined oven in the back.
For our christmas party, I had ordered a whole one, deboned, chopped, and arranged on my supplied platters. Crispy skin, sumptious meat...ohhh boy. He also does ducks, chicken, pigs knuckles, BBQ pork, etc etc.

#15 rubyred

rubyred
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

That's curious, the thread below, marked eating Chinese in MTL discusses Momofuko pork buns at length, but you probably already know that...

Since we're talking about something close to my heart, if you like Chinese Roast pork, may I suggest epiceree Sun Sing Lee (or some variation of those words). On the south side of Lagauchetiere between Clark and St. Urbain roughly across from the 7-day buffet.
This guy does his own whole hogs. Just ask him and he'll proudly show you his brick-lined oven in the back.
For our christmas party, I had ordered a whole one, deboned, chopped, and arranged on my supplied platters. Crispy skin, sumptious meat...ohhh boy. He also does ducks, chicken, pigs knuckles, BBQ pork, etc etc.

View Post

Thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely check it out. I am also a porkophile!

#16 -sheila mooney

-sheila mooney
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

He also does ducks

View Post

[/quote]

great ducks. they were the star of my xmas tree trimming party... rip off the skin, crisp it, put it back on the platter with the meat. serve with chateauneuf du pape (why the heck not?). follow with christmas cookies.

#17 rezcook

rezcook
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

Almost any of this stuff makes a great accompaniment when going to a party. Including the roast duck, chicken, pork, and boneless pig knuckle - they even slice it up for you. Only thing, he doesn't do cuttlefish, which you can pick up on St. Laurent. Voila, a last minute master platter!