Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Foodblog: Lucylou95816

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#61 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

Since I have some time, I thought that I would post about our dinner club that we are in. About a year and half ago, Mark and I decided to start a club up with people who were perfect strangers. We were interested in making new friends and expanding our culinary experiences. I put some notices on Craig's List and on the Cooking Light message board and got about 12 people interested. There are still about 5 original people not including us that are still involved. Over time, I have put up more notices and have gained some new members. We meet once a month, rotating homes of the members. The host picks the theme and does the main course. Everyone signs up to bring the other courses/wine. It's been great. We have a website that I post the pictures of the food, and then the recipes if people send them to me. That way, someone could go back and recreate something that they've had at one of the parties. Our last dinner was a week ago today, so I thought that I would share what we had. It was an appetizer party, to get everyone in the mood for holiday entertaining. Here are some of the things that we had.

I made Meatball Slider sandwiches. They turned out pretty good. I had the rolls specially made for me by a bakery that is actually a cupcake bakery. She said that she could make them, and they turned out great.

Posted Image

I do have step by step pictures that I can put up if anyone is interested. I'll eventually have them on my recipe site that is at the bottom of my posts.

Posted Image

These are yankee doodles that my friend made. I think they are a midwest thing. Basically rye toasts with seasoned ground meat that is then topped with durkee sauce and broiled until cooked through. They were a big hit.

Posted Image

These are rib eye steak tacos with an onion jam and horseradish cream sauce.

Posted Image

These are aspargus wrapped in parmesan cheese and prosciutto and phyllo

Posted Image

These are ahi tuna with two types of sauce, a mango habanero and an avocado

Posted Image

Some chocolate cheesecake brownies

Posted Image

This was very interesting. A special type of gouda with milk chocolate and honey. If you try the cheese first, then go with the cheese and honey, then try the cheese honey and chocolate, you got three completely different flavors. It was really good.

Next Saturday, we are hosting a Christmas party here for our friends. Right now nearly 40 people are going to be coming.... :blink: We are making carnitas with salsa and guacamole and cupcakes. Other people will bring some appetizers to go along with it. So if this is not really a dinner, more like a stand up eat type of thing, how many pounds of pork should I get? That is my dilemma right now. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great. This will be the cocktail of the evening, along with probably some beer, wine and a few bottles of random boozy type things. This is going to my 8th annual holiday party and every year, I also ask people to bring toys or diapers that get donated to a local charity.

#62 jackieg

jackieg
  • participating member
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

Stephanie - I don't know anyone at the Raven. It's probably been 25 years since I've been in there and any memories of bartenders/owners have been dissolved in alcohol mists. Sounds like it's still a fun place and we'll have to check it out. I'm interested in the new Junior League cookbook, I'll have to try it. I have the one from about 20 years ago and it was great.

#63 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

Stephanie - I don't know anyone at the Raven.  It's probably been 25 years since I've been in there and any memories of bartenders/owners have been dissolved in alcohol mists.  Sounds like it's still a fun place and we'll have to check it out.  I'm interested in the new Junior League cookbook, I'll have to try it.  I have the one from about 20 years ago and it was great.

View Post

Jackie,
Thanks for the message. The current owners have had the Raven for about 37 years now. I understand about the alcohol mists. The cookbook should be great, I can't wait to get mine.

#64 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

Now that I'm catching up from our Thanksgiving runaround, I have a few comments and questions.

First, THANK YOU for showing the source of your potato mushroom recipe. That does look to die for, and I'll be looking around to see if I can get that magazine and/or the recipe. Perhaps it's on Bon Appetit's web site.

Second, I want to congratulate you on being able to type at all, much less post so coherently and with such lovely photos. If I'd helped polish off that many bottles of wine, I'd have a hangover the size of Tennessee 2 days later. It sure looked like fun, though, and the table setting was gorgeous.

You keep talking about ketosis and wanting to stay in it. This is something I've read before about Atkins, and it puzzles me. Back in my first-responder days, ketosis (there may have been a modifying term that I've forgotten) was a clue that somebody's body chemistry was way out of whack - like they were going into shock, or pushing the envelope of a diabetic problem, or - I've forgotten what it meant except that it was really very NOT good. And I could smell it on the victim's breath. Yet ketosis seems to be what you're shooting for with Atkins. How are the two phenomena different? Do you know?

We're toying with the idea of adding a kitchen island for the sake of counter space. Yours looks great. My question is whether I'll be sorry to forever have something I have to go around; right now we have an open floor. You noted that you love the counter space. What's your take on the island vs. floor space tradeoff?

Fridge shots and animal shots - oh, my! What a happy lot you seem to have around! And I'm glad you didn't try to clean out the fridge first. Those shots give me an inferiority complex.

Finally: was that a bottle of Davis Bynum wine I saw peeking out in one of the drawers? I love their stuff.

Edited to add: The recipe IS on Epicurious.com!

Edited by Smithy, 24 November 2007 - 01:10 PM.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#65 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

Now that I'm catching up from our Thanksgiving runaround, I have a few comments and questions.

First, THANK YOU for showing the source of your potato mushroom recipe.  That does look to die for, and I'll be looking around to see if I can get that magazine and/or the recipe.  Perhaps it's on Bon Appetit's web site. 

Second, I want to congratulate you on being able to type at all, much less post so coherently and with such lovely photos.  If I'd helped polish off that many bottles of wine, I'd have a hangover the size of Tennessee 2 days later.  It sure looked like fun, though, and the table setting was gorgeous. 

You keep talking about ketosis and wanting to stay in it.  This is something I've read before about Atkins, and it puzzles me.  Back in my first-responder days, ketosis (there may have been a modifying term that I've forgotten) was a clue that somebody's body chemistry was way out of whack - like they were going into shock, or pushing the envelope of a diabetic problem, or - I've forgotten what it meant except that it was really very NOT good.  And I could smell it on the victim's breath.  Yet ketosis seems to be what you're shooting for with Atkins.  How are the two phenomena different?  Do you know?

We're toying with the idea of adding a kitchen island for the sake of counter space.  Yours looks great.  My question is whether I'll be sorry to forever have something I have to go around; right now we have an open floor.  You noted that you love the counter space.  What's your take on the island vs. floor space tradeoff?

Fridge shots and animal shots - oh, my!  What a happy lot you seem to have around!  And I'm glad you didn't try to clean out the fridge first.  Those shots give me an inferiority complex.

Finally: was that bottle of Davis Bynum wine I saw peeking out in one of the drawers?  I love their stuff.

View Post

Thanks for the message and the kind words. Yes, yesterday was a little rough going, but after having a few cocktails, the world was once again a happy place.

Ketosis--I do know that it can be associated with diabetics, in fact some of the strips that we've had monitor both ketones and glucose. In which case, I don't think it is good for someone that is diabetic to go into ketosis. I'm not much of a science person. I think that wiki will give you the best source of info on ketosis. You'll see on there that ketoacidosis is different than what Ketosis is and that is the dangerous one to worry about. You do get ketosis breath, I feel more like its dry mouth than anything. We also tend to not keep consistent body temperatures, especially at bed time. You may get really cold, and then really hot. Hope that helps.

As for the island, I like it, especially since we do a lot of entertaining and I can use it for a buffet, or a bar or whatever. I do have slightly limited space by the fridge area, and eventually I'd like to get a bigger fridge, since that one is so small, so that will be a consideration.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I did do a slight clean out of the fridge of some stuff that has been in there for a while. Oh well.

If you can't find that recipe for the potatoes, I will be putting the step by step pictures up on our recipe website that is noted by name when I have finished this blog.

Actually that wine is David Girard, who is a local winery up in El Dorado County. I've never tried the one you mentioned, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

#66 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:43 PM

If you can't find that recipe for the potatoes, I will be putting the step by step pictures up on our recipe website that is noted by name when I have finished this blog.

View Post

Thanks for your prompt and informative responses!

With regard to the potato gratin recipe, I found it while you were answering my questions. Here's a link to Potato Gratin with Porcini Mushrooms and Mascarpone Cheese, on Epicurious.com. Thanks again!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#67 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

View Post

Thanks for your prompt and informative responses!

With regard to the potato gratin recipe, I found it while you were answering my questions. Here's a link to Potato Gratin with Porcini Mushrooms and Mascarpone Cheese, on Epicurious.com. Thanks again!

View Post

Thanks for posting that link. It's really good. We decided that with all the running around we did this week, today it was in order for us to catch up on the tivo and stay at home, so we'll be fresh for dinner tonight. Right now I am having a snack of gruyere cheese.

#68 mizducky

mizducky
  • participating member
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

Loving your blog. I confess that Atkins ultimately did not agree with my system, but if it's working for you, more power to you. After all, everyone's system and situation is different and unique. My only suggestions would be to keep monitoring your general energy level, and make sure you keep up on the water/fluids requirement to keep all those ketones etc. flushing out of your system okay.

Your critters are adorable. Especially the shots of the kitties entwined.

#69 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

Loving your blog. I confess that Atkins ultimately did not agree with my system, but if it's working for you, more power to you. After all, everyone's system and situation is different and unique. My only suggestions would be to keep monitoring your general energy level, and make sure you keep up on the water/fluids requirement to keep all those ketones etc. flushing out of your system okay.

Your critters are adorable. Especially the shots of the kitties entwined.

View Post

Thank you. I agree, what works for some works for others. I have read your blogs and your success that you have had. I do agree with the water thing. You have to keep drinking it. Thanks for reading!

#70 racheld

racheld
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

This is so nice to catch up on late at night, after guests have departed and the dishwasher is the only sound in the house.

I'm not a wine person, but just the colors and shadows and the gleam of the bottles---lovely photos. And your Thanksgiving dinner!!! Everything from that gorgeous table (I AM a burgundy person, though not the bottled one) to the beautifully presented dinner itself---just wonderful.

I love your pets and their charming little personalities, especially Riley---he's quite a suave one---I'll bet he's a smooooth talker, too.

Oh, by the way---my ketchup says that your ketchup wants you to turn it rightside up---they live on their lids, you know. On the bottom shelf. It's the law. :raz:
Fairy tea has its own magic, for it never does run out;
And the flavour you imagine will come streaming from the spout.
Fairy Tea

My Blog--Thanksgiving and Goodwill

LAWN TEA

#71 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

Hello, we just got back from dinner. Before I get into that, I'll give you a recap of the food we ate today. Mark got up and made us scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon.

Posted Image

For some reason, I was only able to eat a few bites. Eggs haven't been sitting well with me lately. So later in the day, I had a couple of pieces of gruyere cheese, which tided me over until dinner. Mark made some tuna salad.

Tuna

Posted Image

The stuff he put into it

Posted Image

And the final plate. He wasn't as hungry as I was at dinner.

Posted Image

For dinner, we went to 55 Degrees

Posted Image

This place is located near the Captial. Dinner was good, not the BEST meal ever, but good none the less. I did have a small cheat, they had warm bread with really good butter. Warm bread, which seems like you don't see very often is hard to pass up. Just one piece though.The picture quality is not the best since I didn't want to use the flash.

Posted Image

Kara and I started off with the Belguim Endive Salad

Posted Image

Kara's husband had the crab cake, which I also had as a second course. They were very good. More meat inside, with a slight dusting of corn meal that was a nice crunchy crust to it. The sauce beneath it was okay, but needed a little more spice.

Posted Image

Mark had the sweetbreads. They were okay, too chewy for my taste. There is another place in town that makes them, and they are done very well.

Posted Image

For main courses, Mark had the mussels (The 55 degree method on the menu) and they came with frites. The frites, which I had about 15 of were really good.

Posted Image

Kara had the scallops, which were very good, just a puny portion.

Posted Image

Her husband had the Mahi Mahi

Posted Image

I had the steak, and asked to substitute the frites for sauteed spinach. The spinach needed some seasoning, but the steak was good.

Posted Image

We enjoyed this wine from our "good" cellar area

Posted Image

I actually don't mind paying a corkage, since it seems that wines are so overpriced. I also knew that they wouldn't have this on their list. Here's our good wine cellar storage

Posted Image

So no dessert, but a good dinner with good friends.

I can't believe that tomorrow is the end of the blog, and the end of my extended weekend. :sad: But don't go away yet, we got more stuff coming up tomorrow. If I get motivated, I'll get up and go to the only decent farmers market and get some pictures of that for you. I already have a shopping list for tomorrow's dinner, that I will actually cook and I'll take you to another one of my favorite grocery stores, that I have gotten permission to take pictures of on the inside. I am hoping that they have Cardoni, which I guess is the stalk of the artichoke plant, that some people were talking about yesterday, and I'd like to try it.

So have a good night and we'll catch up with you tomorrow.

#72 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

This is so nice to catch up on late at night, after guests have departed and the dishwasher is the only sound in the house.

I'm not a wine person, but just the colors and shadows and the gleam of the bottles---lovely photos.    And your Thanksgiving dinner!!! Everything from that gorgeous table (I AM a burgundy person, though not the bottled one) to the beautifully presented dinner itself---just wonderful.

I love your pets and their charming little personalities, especially Riley---he's quite a suave one---I'll bet he's a smooooth talker, too.

Oh, by the way---my ketchup says that your ketchup wants you to turn it rightside up---they live on their lids, you know.  On the bottom shelf.  It's the law. :raz:

View Post

Rachel, thanks for the message. I am glad that you are enjoying the blog. Yes, Riley can be a smooth talker. He actually knows how to say I love you. He'll say something the effect of Aww Wuu Wuu. Sometimes is sounds really close. I'll fix that ketchup right away. :smile: Thanks again for reading!

#73 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

I am really enjoying your blog! Umm..what's durkee sauce?

#74 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:51 AM

I'm really enjoying your blog, Steph! I especially liked seeing the consumed bottles of wine at Thanksgiving. My husband was walking by and said "they drink like we do" :biggrin:

#75 MarketStEl

MarketStEl
  • participating member
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:58 AM

So I mentioned cooking for a homeless shelter. I am a member of the Junior League of Sacramento, and we had commited to making a Thanksgiving Dinner for St. John's Shelter for Women and Children. [...] For those of you that don't know, the Junior League raises money to help disadvantaged women and children.  One of the ways we do that is to sell cookbooks.  Here's a link if you'd like to buy a soon to be newly released cookbook as a Christmas gift.  If that isn't appropriate to put here, please let me know.  They should be shipped by Christmas.

Is there a Junior League anywhere in the country that does not produce a cookbook as a fundraiser for their charitable work? IMO, "Junior League Cookbook" should be trademarked like "Girl Scout Cookies."

I signed up to make stuffing.  After contemplating my week, I decided that I'll take some Stove Top stuffing and (please god don't strike me down) Sandra Lee it.  (I don't condone that woman, personal opinion.)

View Post

You have heard, haven't you, that Miss Semi-Homemade has a new autobiography out?

It's called Made From Scratch. :huh: The customers on Amazon.com give it decidedly mixed reviews.

View Post

Here you go:

Durkee Famous Sauce - An American Cult Classic Since 1857!

It's great on roast beef, among other things.
Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia
"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen
My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

#76 racheld

racheld
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

And an indispensible ingredient in REAL Paminna Cheese.

Was there ANY cheese in that topping as well? I've never tried broiling Durkee's before, but didn't know it would glaze like that. Must be the eggs and xanthan gum.
Fairy tea has its own magic, for it never does run out;
And the flavour you imagine will come streaming from the spout.
Fairy Tea

My Blog--Thanksgiving and Goodwill

LAWN TEA

#77 MarketStEl

MarketStEl
  • participating member
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

Was there ANY cheese in that topping as well?  I've never tried broiling Durkee's before, but didn't know it would glaze like that.  Must be the eggs and xanthan gum.

View Post

Paminna cheese? Sounds interesting. What's the recipe?
Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia
"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen
My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

#78 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

stephanie,

wow what beautiful food. i want those thanksgiving onions. i've loved the pictures of the animals as well. thanks for blogging on a decidedly busy week.

suzi
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#79 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:46 PM

View Post

Thank you, looks like Sandy beat me to the durkee sauce. It actually has quite a high carb count, I think like 8 grams per serving, which is probably no more than 2 tbsp.

#80 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

I'm really enjoying your blog, Steph!  I especially liked seeing the consumed bottles of wine at Thanksgiving.  My husband was walking by and said "they drink like we do"  :biggrin:

View Post

Thank you. That can be scary and good. :smile:

#81 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

So I mentioned cooking for a homeless shelter. I am a member of the Junior League of Sacramento, and we had commited to making a Thanksgiving Dinner for St. John's Shelter for Women and Children. [...] For those of you that don't know, the Junior League raises money to help disadvantaged women and children.  One of the ways we do that is to sell cookbooks.  Here's a link if you'd like to buy a soon to be newly released cookbook as a Christmas gift.  If that isn't appropriate to put here, please let me know.  They should be shipped by Christmas.

Is there a Junior League anywhere in the country that does not produce a cookbook as a fundraiser for their charitable work? IMO, "Junior League Cookbook" should be trademarked like "Girl Scout Cookies."

I signed up to make stuffing.  After contemplating my week, I decided that I'll take some Stove Top stuffing and (please god don't strike me down) Sandra Lee it.  (I don't condone that woman, personal opinion.)

View Post

You have heard, haven't you, that Miss Semi-Homemade has a new autobiography out?

It's called Made From Scratch. :huh: The customers on Amazon.com give it decidedly mixed reviews.

View Post

Here you go:

Durkee Famous Sauce - An American Cult Classic Since 1857!

It's great on roast beef, among other things.

View Post

Thanks for putting up the information regarding durkee sauce. Yes, I do believe that the Junior League and Girl Scout Cookies should be in the same category. I guess the cool thing about Jr. League cookbooks from different regions of the US is that you would probably get a "regional" type of cookbook based on where the League is based out of.

Well, being that I am not a Miss Lee fan, I will probably pass on her book. Thanks for reading!

#82 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

Was there ANY cheese in that topping as well?  I've never tried broiling Durkee's before, but didn't know it would glaze like that.  Must be the eggs and xanthan gum.

View Post

I will double check on the cheese question. I don't believe so. But in the spirit of the egullet foodblog, I may have to wander down to the pub in a little bit, because more than likely, the chef of the yankee doodles will be there. But after I post some pics from the farmers market today.

#83 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

stephanie,

wow what beautiful food.  i want those thanksgiving onions.  i've loved the pictures of the animals as well.  thanks for blogging on a decidedly busy week.

suzi

View Post

Suzy, thanks for the message. I am glad that it has been enjoyable. We're not done yet, so be sure to check back. If you'd like the recipe for the onions, let me know, I can ask my dad's girlfriend for them and PM you the recipe when I get it.

#84 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

Ok, I have a ton of pictures from the Farmers Market and my shopping trip to a favorite grocery store. I'll be back in a bit.

#85 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:37 PM

Hi Everyone, the last day of the foodblog, hard to believe. But first, I would be remiss to not wish Riley a Happy 11th Birthday. Happy Birthday Riley! He's as happy as an 11 year old can be:

Posted Image

Ok, I went to the Sacramento farmers market today. I have so many pictures, that it's good that the blog is almost over, since my account is practically filled up. I apologize in advance, for slower internet connections, I edited out a bunch but really felt like the ones I picked needed to be in here.

It takes place under a freeway, as hzrt8w had said back in his blog several months ago.

Posted Image

Why it takes underplace there I have no idea. I typically only go to this market when I want to buy tomatoes or cucumbers for canning. Today, actually surprised me with lots of stuff I have never noticed before or that is new. I didn't buy a whole lot, in fact this is all I got:

Posted Image

Some onions that I'll need to for dinner tonight and some fresh tomatoes for a salad at some point this week.

Of course, being that we are a political town, no farmers market would be complete without your political advocates

Posted Image

Ok, so on with what the market had to offer today

Posted Image

Posted Image
Don't know what these are, I couldn't understand the guy. Maybe someone knows?

Posted Image
I would hate to have a dishonest wine? Would that give you a different type of hangover?

Posted Image

Lots of heirloom tomatoes still out there.

Posted Image
Oh taters how I miss thee

Posted Image

Sweet green onion? I'm going to try them tonight in something.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The Lady asked me to take a picture of that, something that you can grow your own mushrooms on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
These are hulled cherry tomatoes. The guy let me have one to taste, and they were really nutty tasting. He said that some people say almost pinapple/nutty. I thought they were really good. I should have bought some.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Some of the biggest garlic I have seen in a while out here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
surprised to see corn still in season.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I 'll start a new post, some of the pictures weren't coming up.

Edited by lucylou95816, 25 November 2007 - 05:22 PM.

#86 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

View Post

I googled Paminna Cheese and got referred to a post of yours..on egullet :laugh:

#87 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

View Post

Thank you, looks like Sandy beat me to the durkee sauce. It actually has quite a high carb count, I think like 8 grams per serving, which is probably no more than 2 tbsp.

View Post

Yes thanks Sandy! I will have to pick some up on my next trip to the States..quite the story..Durkee sauce.

#88 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

My second journey of the day was to one of my other favorite grocery store. Before I go, let's check my list to make sure I have everything I need on it for dinner.

Posted Image

Tonight's dinner, for your viewing pleasure, I'll be making Tyler's Ultimate Meatballs, with a low carb twist.

So here we are off to Corti Brothers.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I like this grocery store for many reasons. One is the personalized service that you can get, from the Deli to the Meat Counter to the wine section. Their produce is not always the best of the best, but they did have the cardoni that I was interested in trying.

Posted Image

In fact, the produce guy said that they are usually the only ones to carry it. You'll also find all kinds of Italian specialties, Panattoni Bread and probably the world's largest selection of pasta. Let's just get to that. I have never seen a pasta aisle like this before ever.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Not likely to see any golden grain or generic brands in that group.

The main reason I come to Corti's is for the meat. They do the obvious, order fresh turkeys for Christmas and Thanksgiving, they can order just about any cut of meat you want, they really are a one stop shop.

Posted Image

They just started carrying Estancia meat. I haven't bought any yet, but a friend has and said it was great.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Lamb

Posted Image
ground meats and bacon

Posted Image

Pork

Posted Image

chicken parts and pieces

Posted Image
fish, which was a little sparse today. If we get any crabs from SF, which may be sparse this year due to an oil spill, they usually are filled up with crabs.

Next is their deli section, which is equally as cool.

Starts off with a prepared food section. Twice baked potatoes, meat loaf, salads, not quite sure what those things in the right hand section are. Usually this stuff is great, since they make it right there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fresh cheeses and pesto

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next are wursts, salami's, sausages

Posted Image

Posted Image

All types of cured hams

Posted Image

Posted Image

They roast alot of their own deli meat, which is really good.

Posted Image

More sausage

Posted Image

Huge selection of cheese in the deli

Posted Image

Posted Image
Huge Olive bar

Now if that deli cheese wasn't enough for you. They also have a self serve cheese area and here's what it looks like:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I forgot to take a picture of the other end which has a bunch of asiago, parmesan, etc.

They usually have one or two out for sample too.

Posted Image

Some other things that are unique to Corti's, one that I forgot to photograph was their selection of San Marzano tomatoes. At least 10-15 brands. I like using these when I am making a tomato sauce, as you'll see tonight.

They have an excellent wine selection

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

It would not be unusual to be out to dinner with a friend, and see the wine gurus from Corti's having dinner, and trying multiple bottles. This happened to us one night, and the wine guy came over, because he knew someone we were eating with, and gave us each a glass of dessert wine they were tasting to go with our dessert. That was pretty cool.

I also found this interesting wine in a weird package. Maybe something like what Sam was talking about earlier this week.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Juice boxes for adults.

In the freezer section, they have some of the coolest ice cream available anywhere. A while back I had posted something about Dr. Bob's on the dinner thread. By far, one of the best chocolate ice creams out there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And demi glace as well as house made raviolis, sauce, gnocchi and almost anything else you can imagine.

Whew, ok, I need a break, loading all of those pictures takes some time. I think that we'll head off to Raven for a bit, see if the yankee doodle girl is there, and ask Hugo about how to prepare this cardoni. See you all after dinner!

#89 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

Sometimes egullet likes to play tricks on me. Perhaps the posts were too photo heavy, so'll cut the farmers market one up into two:

Posted Image

Some big ass squash. I forgot the name, I am sure someone here will know. They were nearly 3 feet long.

Posted Image
another veg I don't know the name of. I think its used in Asian cuisine?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Apples are big here, since up about 40 minutes away is Apple Hill that is a popular place to go this time of year for apples, apple pie, wine tasting, getting Christmas trees. It's fun, but gets really crowded.

In addition to all this, they had a pork guy, an oyster guy, a couple other fish guys, some bread, cheeses, lavender plants. I may have to start going back.

Well, that's it from the farmers market. I'll start a new post, since its picture heavy from my trip to one of my favorite grocery stores.

#90 lucylou95816

lucylou95816
  • participating member
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

Well, it appears that the photos are only having an issue on my laptop, since I went to check on our other computer and they all appear to be up there. I need a break, see you in a bit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog