Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

NON Soy TVP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

Are there any NON Soy TVP meat substitutes?
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#2 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

Are there any NON Soy TVP meat substitutes?

View Post

Seitan comes to mind . . . I'm sure that there are others.

#3 david coonce

david coonce
  • participating member
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

beans? vegetables?

Besides that, Seitan seems like your only bet.

Seitan is pretty nasty stuff, but it can be useful filler with a decent sauce. It's pretty neutral.
"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

#4 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

Do you know of any companies ONLINE with Sites that offer Seitan Crumbles or burgers etc?
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#5 vinelady

vinelady
  • participating member
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

You might check veganessentials.com

#6 plk

plk
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

You could try some of the meat substitutes from Morningstar Farms: http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/

#7 rickster

rickster
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

Or you could try Quorn

Quorn

#8 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

You could try some of the meat substitutes from Morningstar Farms: http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/

View Post

All Soy, but thanks
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#9 vinelady

vinelady
  • participating member
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

View Post

All Soy, but thanks

View Post

I know that there is a seitan burger mix on the vegan essentials site.

#10 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

Seitan is pretty nasty stuff, but it can be useful filler with a decent sauce. It's pretty neutral.

View Post

Whoa, friend. Seitan is definitely not "nasty stuff". You obviously have not had it prepared correctly!

I have witnesses . . . red-meat-and-potato-eating-only witnesses, who will attest that seitan, properly prepared, can be not only delicious but addictive! I don't know where you are from, but I'm in the US, and it troubles me that so many non-meat entrees are given short shrift or worse.

I still get requests, from some die hard carnivores, for the seitan "turkey" dish that I prepared one Thanksgiving. Please keep your mind open . . . you might be very pleasantly surprised. :wink:

#11 david coonce

david coonce
  • participating member
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

I am the kitchen manager for a natural foods place, and have used seitan every day of my life for the last nine years. In my opinion, it has a chewy texture but no flavor whatsoever, it is highly perishable (and if you've ever opened a bag of bad seitan you know it's the worst smell in the world - like a used diaper that has fermented), and, well, to put it delicately - seitan is very undigestible (it is pure wheat gluten, after all) and makes many people very gassy.

As a chef in a vegan/vegetarian friendly place, I have learned to accept seitan and all its limitations - the biggest one being that it is texturally always the same - you can't freeze or cook it in any method that creates a different texture than just "chewy." (Even tofu provides myriad textures.) I can live with seitan; I'm just saying that generally, it's going to taste like a fake processed food, because that is what it is. You're never going to wonder "is this beef? Is it chicken." It's a unique profile - no flavor and all texture. It's only as good as the sauce you drown it in.

#12 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

Or you could try Quorn

Quorn

View Post

I am turned off of ever tasting Quorn, due to reading this:
http://en.wikipedia....arium_venenatum
If anyone can dispute or back it up Ill be appreciative
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#13 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

I am the kitchen manager for a natural foods place, and have used seitan every day of my life for the last nine years. In my opinion, it has a chewy texture but no flavor whatsoever, it is highly perishable (and if you've ever opened a bag of bad seitan you know it's the worst smell in the world - like a used diaper that has fermented), and, well, to put it delicately - seitan is very undigestible (it is pure wheat gluten, after all) and makes many people very gassy.

View Post

I make my own seitan so thankfully, I don't know about the bad smell emanating from the prepackaged stuff. (I'll gladly take your word for it, though). All I know is that fresh homemade seitan can be quite delicious, and thankfully none of my guests experienced excessive flatulence (at least while they were at my house!) :raz:

#14 david coonce

david coonce
  • participating member
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

True, homemade seitan is much better. I've done seitan/potato "sausages" for a vegan catering and the seitan was made from scratch, and although it's time-consuming, it is a better product. I don't think most non-vegetarians have the patience to make seitan from scratch. (Or tofu, for that matter, although both are really easy to make)

In my kitchen we go thorugh 20-30# of seitan a week, hence the need for the bagged stuff. I'm not a big fan, although I accept that vegetarians love it and snap it up (especially smothered in a sweet barbecue sauce).