Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Deep Fryers for the Home Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#91 Robert Jueneman

Robert Jueneman
  • participating member
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

I'm told that many restaurants will allow you to dump your oil in their containers, which are eventually recycled into biodiesel fuel. But I haven't tried it yet. Just don't pour it down the sink!

Botulism shouldn't be a problem, because the temperature of the oil is way higher than the sterilization point -- even the botulism spores would be killed.

Now, how to store it to keep it fresh is something that I hadn't really considered. Maybe pour it back in the jug and cap it? good question.

Bob

#92 budrichard

budrichard
  • participating member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

Should you have an outdoor area or patio where you can have a Cajun Fryer, consider this unit. The way it works and how it won't scorch is ingenious. It also seems safer, in my opinion, than many of the alternatives. Bass Pro often has them on their floor, if you want to see how it is built. A friend bought one and it has given him lots of good results. He finds the oil has a good and long life with this fryer.

I really like the the idea of the Cajun Fryer!
Unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin and when its -20F or there is 3' of snow(I'm not exaggerating) on the deck, no one is using any outdoor cooking devices!-Dick

#93 larryroohr

larryroohr
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

Well I found a solution for waste oil that probably isn't for everybody, I'm going to build a waste oil heater for my garage/shop. I spend a lot of time out there on weekends and the propane and kerosene heat is getting expensive and it isn't even winter yet.
plus I do my own oil changes on my and my two daughters cars. Here are plans for one in case there are any other egullet people handy with this sort of thing that might be interested. This is killing two birds with one stone.

I believe you can buy commercially made waste oil heaters as well.

http://www.motherear...Oil-Heater.aspx

This could be bad for the waist line. Costco has 5 gallon buckets of peanut oil for 35$, thats half the supermarket price I just paid.

Larry

#94 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Anything new in consumer-level deep fryers in the last two years? We've been using the cast-iron pot/thermometer arrangement, but would love a dedicated appliance, if there's one that's consistently capable of 350° - 375°F and has decent recovery.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

#95 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

I have always balked at the added clean-up with a dedicated fryer based on the assumption that you do not simply recover the oil; you have to clean the nooks and crannies. Interested in an education of the value/upside
  • gfweb likes this

#96 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Anything new in consumer-level deep fryers in the last two years? We've been using the cast-iron pot/thermometer arrangement, but would love a dedicated appliance, if there's one that's consistently capable of 350° - 375°F and has decent recovery.

I've auditioned several over the years, including a Waring "pro" model. None could get to 375 and all were a small oil volume.  I've gone to the dutch oven and can't see a reason to go back. Big oil volume, easy cleanup...not "one more gadget" in the kitchen. If fires are a concern the oven will work on an induction plate.

#97 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

I used an enameled cast iron for frying for years.  I was interested in getting an electric fryer for the safety.  My son has walked off and left the cast iron pot on the stove and I worried about a potential fire.   I kept looking at fryers and passing on them because they were all too small. If I was going to get one, it had to be big enough to hold a decent amount of stuff.  I have a prejudice against anything made by DeLongi. I have had three products from them that didn't work very well and/or broke shortly after buying it.  I recently got the Waring fryer and have used it with good success and it is very easy to clean... not hardly any more work than cleaning an enameled pot. 

#98 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Dedicated deep fryers are always going to be affected by the limitation that you can, at most, draw 1800W out of a wall socket. The main reason they're so small is because the heating elements are so wimpy that recovery becomes difficult if you put in too much food.

Edited by Shalmanese, 03 December 2013 - 07:31 PM.

PS: I am a guy.

#99 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

I am looking for an electric deep fryer and have just read through this thread. I am left with the impression that the Waring is the one to get. However, as my electrical small appliances have needed to be replaced, I have been replacing them with Breville products as I find they work as advertised. To date, this includes their food processor, hand beater, toaster, their grill and the smart oven. Right now our local Costco is selling the Cuisinart deep fryer. This fryer looks to be identical to the Waring, and since Cuisinart owns Waring, that is not surprising. However, I also have my eye on the Breville deep fryer although it is twice the price of the Waring/Cuisinart. Does anyone own the Breville deep fryer and of you do, are you happy with it? Thanks!
  • Deryn likes this

#100 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

I've had a waring and a few others. None get hot quickly or recover quickly. The ones that heat fast have a small oil volume which means a temp plunge after food is added. And they are a PITA to clean and store.  I retreated to a Dutch oven a few years ago.

A big Dutch oven holds more oil, heats fast esp on an induction plate and is easy to clean.  And both the oven and the induction plate will be used for other indications.

I agree w your love of Breville...and I've not used their fryer...but I'd stick with the Dutch oven.

#101 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,606 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

I am with gfweb. I too own a Waring which is now gathering dust in my daughter's basement. It lived up to its advertised capabilities but was a PITA to store and clean. It is a one trick pony and unless you do a great deal of deep-frying you will be better served by an induction hob and an enameled cast iron Dutch oven. I always hate not answering the question posed but I also hate to see someone make the same mistake I did!
  • gfweb likes this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#102 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

Anna N and gfweb, how easy is it to control the heat using induction and an enamelled cast iron pot? I have both of those but I can't stand having to diddle around with the heat controls on a stove when I am deep frying.

#103 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

Just spend a little time finding the setting, write it down and no more fiddling.

Induction has the huge advantage of not being able t o ignite if boil-over occurs.

You can even put a piece of newspaper over the unit to catch splatter

Having said that I usually just my gas stove and stay attentive

Edited by gfweb, 11 November 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#104 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,606 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

What gfweb said. But I would add that it is neither realistic nor necessary to maintain a rock solid temperature while deep frying.
  • gfweb likes this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#105 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

Elsie, I don't know whether this is universal, but both of my induction cookers work with a thermostat.  If yours does as well, then it's simply a matter of finding the right setting as gfweb says; the electronics will do the rest.  FWIW, this is how I handle deep frying also, in my case with a Fagor unit.

#106 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

Electric deep fryers suck in the home for two reasons:

1. Home circuits are limited to 1800W which means anything plugged into your standard 1 phase power plug is going to be underpowered and slow to recover
2. For home deep frying, because you're dealing with such a small amount of oil relative to the food, the best strategy is to overheat the oil before putting in the food and then relying on the temperature drop to get you to the correct temp. Electric models work the same way commercial fryers work where you start at your target temp and then recover from the drop which takes a long time.
  • gfweb likes this
PS: I am a guy.

#107 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

I have a Presto deep fryer that's lingering on a shelf in the garage.  My biggest complaint?  the odor of the hot oil that hangs in the air in the house forever.  I used it once in the kitchen then, because of the awful smell, I moved it out to the garage where I used it a few more times (easier to ventilate with the garage doors open - I could bet rid of the smell much sooner).

It really was too much of a PITA to fuss with, what with draining the oil, filtering the oil, then storing.  Haven't used it now in years and I don't miss it.

Edited by lindag, 12 November 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#108 NEPolarbear

NEPolarbear
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:15 AM

Do not know the quality of the electric home fryers.

My friends that have them are sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Only used a few times.

However, they still fry using their dutch ovens.

#109 boilsover

boilsover
  • participating member
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to offer up an alternate solution which has worked out very well for me: a stovetop pressure fryer.

This is basically a pressure cooker, but it is one of the very few that are approved (and safe) for frying.  The two I know of are the Pressure Magic by Fagor and the Rapid Chef The Supercooker.  Both can be found here:  I believe the Rapid Chef is also made by Fagor in Spain.

These look like an old-style, armature-sealing PC, but they are specially-designed to both pressure cook and -fry.  The seals are heavy and heat-proof, and there are 3 safety systems.  They are also 8 psi units, so for use with regular PC preps, you need to add about 5 minutes' cooking time.

I have the Rapid Chef 8Q, which I use for both pressure frying and deep frying (sans cover), as well as a PC.  The only practical difference is that, when pressure frying, you want no more than a 2" oil depth, whereas with the cover off, you can have it much deeper.  I find that pressure frying conserves oil and keeps food moister.

The vessels themselves are SS shells with a thick (I think about 5mm), encapsulated aluminum base.  They make very decent stockpots in their own right.  Which makes them triple-taskers in my book.

They come with an instructional DVD (the technique is a little different than with a regular PC), and there is an available 325-page cookbook with a focus on the pressure frying function.

Attached Images

• Rapid Chef.jpg

Edited by boilsover, 12 November 2014 - 09:13 PM.

• lordratner likes this