Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The McRib is back!

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

The main thing this thread has done for me is to make me want to go try a McRib.  Never have.  Knew it wasn't real barbecue (I'm so insightful that way) and I'm lucky enough to live in an area with lots of excellent barbecue.

But now, I've just got to have one.

And so I will!

• judiu and annabelle like this

#122 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

let us know.

#123 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

let us know.

Oooh, I will.

And, I am a KCBS-Certified Barbecue Judge, so you can trust my expertise in these matters.

• judiu likes this

#124 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

are You in for one Big Surprise !

• judiu likes this

#125 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

are You in for one Big Surprise !

Wow!  That tasty, eh?

• annabelle and rotuts like this

#126 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

A few weeks ago, I got my annual fix.  Tasted like I remembered it.    I still get a kick out of all the outrage over this sandwich. Every year it is reappears, you see the media stir up the pot by telling us how bad it is, showing us pictures that are supposed to make us shudder in fear.  I mean, really? Is a frozen McRib patty and more scary looking than the frozen hamburger patties that McDonalds slings out every day all year long?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#127 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

I went in for my annual fix. Was not happy with it. They were stingy with the BBQ sauce. That will do until next year. My standard Mickey Dee's fair will be back on my personal menu: The Grilled Chicken Southwest Salad.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#128 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

I like the grilled bacon ranch salad, but they're chintzy with the chicken!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#129 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

So I had my first McRib Sandwich.  It was a surreal experience for me.  I wasn't expecting a brisket lovingly slow-smoked over oak and then hand-sliced.  I wasn't expecting a hunk of pork lovingly slow-smoked over hickory and then hand-pulled.  I wasn't expecting ribs or sausage, or even chicken.

But, as I've been eating "barbecue" of all sorts for some six decades, I guess I was expecting some sort of meat texture. 

The sauce was fine - if you like the typical tomato-based sweet and tangy type sauce and, although that's sure not my favorite type of BBQ sauce, I do like it okay. 

But, try as I might, I gleaned no "meat" texture whatsoever.  It was just this odd, rather glutinous, flavorless mass of something; exactly what, I could not discern. 

Luckily, there were onions and pickles, so there was some texture.  But the onions and pickles were the only real texture I encountered.

Chewing that thing, searching for some sort of meat texture, and finding none, was truly one of the weirdest and most surreal food experiences I think I've ever had.

And one I don't think I'll be repeating.

I'd rather put a pork butt into a crockpot and dump in a bottle of barbecue sauce and stew it until it falls apart.  At least my tongue could find, hiding under that strong sweet & tangy sauce, something that resembles actual meat.

Edited by Jaymes, 04 December 2013 - 06:57 PM.

• judiu, annabelle, gfweb and 2 others like this

#130 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

nice review.   :biggrin:

"""     It was just this odd, rather glutinous, flavorless mass of something  """"    :laugh:

exactly.  ( my emphasis )

Edited by rotuts, 02 December 2013 - 10:53 AM.

• judiu likes this

#131 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

that's an accurate description of my first and only experience. It was horrible.

#132 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Honestly, it might not have gone so off for me had I not been anticipating meat.

That was where I went so horribly wrong.

And there was no recovering after that.

• judiu and annabelle like this

#133 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

if this ' thing ' were crispy, and the sauce not so sweet, perhaps a bit more complex .....

Crispy McRib w Hot Hoisin sauce ?

Edited by rotuts, 02 December 2013 - 02:15 PM.

• judiu likes this

#134 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I ate a McRib in 1984 and I still haven't fully recovered from the dreadful experience!!!!  :blink:

• Jaymes and judiu like this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#135 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

every year this thread pops up again and I'm tempted to finally set foot into a McD again, after years and years (probably 8 by now). Then I realize it's not gonna be anything as advertised and save my $.

Or should I....

Thankfully it's usually long gone before I consider doing so. If our McD had a drive through that might be different, but sitting in their sticky plastic hell to eat this thing is not appetizing in any which way, LOL.

I also don't like In'nOut by the way, blandest burger I've ever had and their 'secret' menu is an irritating marketing gimmick to me, so there :-)

I'll stick to my occasional very late night bbq bacon cheeseburger at Jack in the Box. they have a drive through ;-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#136 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

I spoke with a friend I hadn't seen in a while and she, out of the blue, mentioned how the McRib didn't taste like it did before. She said the BBQ sauce is different.

The last time I bought one I brought it home and tried putting some Penzey Forward spice on it (the spice mix is basically seasoned salt without the salt). It helped a little but not enough to bring it back to its glory days flavor.

• judiu and Porthos like this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#137 Rico

Rico
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Here's the problem.

Even though I expect it to be a dreadful experience, enough of the folks on here have pulled the trigger to make me want to be part of the order. By not having been hazed by this sandwich, I feel I am unable to relate wholly to those who have undergone the experience. I apparently lack the self confidence to stand alone in my McRib ignorance. 

The valleys make the peaks more gratifying anyway, right? I'm on my way.

• Jaymes, judiu and Shelby like this

#138 Rico

Rico
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Flatten a tasteless hot dog into the shape of ... well, whatever the shape of that thing is, and that seems like a good textural reference - emulsified meat. Thank you Jaymes for sparing me the surprise of the texture. 

Overall, though, I can see why it's popular. Those are bold flavors for a place like McDonalds, and for someone who's maybe just accustomed to big macs and quarter pounders, it may very well be a daring culinary adventure.

Actually, it was a daring culinary adventure for me, too. Just not one I'll be repeating.

• Jaymes and Shelby like this

#139 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

Toliver, try the Pensey's Mural of Flavor blend, too. It's excellent!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"