Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The McRib is back!

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#91 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I had my McRib today...yummy!
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#92 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

What wine pairs well with McRib?

dcarch :rolleyes:

#93 crinoidgirl

crinoidgirl
  • participating member
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Had mine last night!
V

#94 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

Lancers.

https://www.google.c...w=1193&bih=1014

fifth image top row L to R

the clear bottle that seems to Glow!

:huh:

#95 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Once again, the McRib has returned to my local McD's. I just wish they had more seasoning on them. They're kind of blah. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#96 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

same sort of sweet mush as before on a soggy bun ?

#97 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

I tried it a few years ago due to the love it gets from some devotees. Still don't get the love

I guess I'm not a fan of fast food

#98 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

same sort of sweet mush as before on a soggy bun ?

I wouldn't say they're mushy. They do have a firm texture. The BBQ sauce is sweet and doesn't have any stand-out features.

I think the bun is a saving grace for the McRib. It's different than the usual McD's burger bun. It kind of reminds me of potato rolls where they have that little dusting of flour on the outside.

#99 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

I wouldn't say they're mushy. They do have a firm texture. The BBQ sauce is sweet and doesn't have any stand-out features.

I think the bun is a saving grace for the McRib. It's different than the usual McD's burger bun. It kind of reminds me of potato rolls where they have that little dusting of flour on the outside.

Let's see:  the sauce has no "stand-out" features, suggesting, to me at least, that it's at best bland, and the BUN is the outstanding feature (my understanding of your comment).  So what does that say for the star performer in this act, the McRib itself?

How much does a McRib (which, as I understand it, has no ribs) cost?   I'm thinking that, on a weight basis, it may be similar in cost to some real BBQ, which I'd rather eat than a McRib.

.... Shel

#100 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

In re-thinking my experience, I think you are correct with

""   They do have a firm texture  ""

but its the sort of gelatinized texture one thinks of when one thinks of something made by glueing up " ????? " that was partially pre-digested to begin with.

glad someone didnt post the McR dissection photo vis a vis  the egg and steak seen on the main McD thread

here:

http://forums.egulle...lds-2013/page-2

you have to click on the two image ref's near the bottom of the page.

the second image tells the story .....

now if they had 2 for 1 .....    that would be intense.

Edited by rotuts, 06 November 2013 - 12:52 PM.

• judiu likes this

#101 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

For me, the McRIb provides an alternative sandwich to pick up for a meal. I know exactly what I am getting - chopped formed pork with a basic BBQ sauce on a basic roll. I have no illusions otherwise. Unlike my DW I gravitate towards sweeter BBQ sauces so this sandwich works for me. No, I would never drive over to Micky D's just to get one but when I am out and about I will drive through and buy one, maybe, two during the time they are available. It's all Carl's Jr's fault. Back when they still had the California Roast Beef sandwich that was my go-to sandwich.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#102 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

http://www.shopwell....es/p/7057526410

^^^ make your own McRibs, using those. its the same thing
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#103 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Let's see:  the sauce has no "stand-out" features, suggesting, to me at least, that it's at best bland, and the BUN is the outstanding feature (my understanding of your comment).  So what does that say for the star performer in this act, the McRib itself?

How much does a McRib (which, as I understand it, has no ribs) cost?   I'm thinking that, on a weight basis, it may be similar in cost to some real BBQ, which I'd rather eat than a McRib.

No one says you have to eat at McDonald's. And if you deign to, no one says you have to buy the McRib. As Porthos pointed out, it's a change-up from ordering the usual McD's sandwich/burger. I just thought it could be done better.

And you can order two of them at one time, Porthos. Most McD's have a combo meal that includes two McRibs. Ain't life grand? :cool:

• annabelle likes this

#104 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_4260461.html

Huffpost got undercover pics of frozen uncooked McRib patties
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#105 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

interesting shot.  they look thin  and 'pressed'

do they rehydrate in the sauce?  water?

#106 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

No surprises to me in the "undercover picture." I don't personally think I will ever confuse McDonalds with The French Laundry. I like an occasional McRib. I may love well-prepared salmon but I still eat fish tacos as well. There is a broad spectrum of offerings out there. My objections come when someone clearly tries to deceive me.

• judiu and annabelle like this

Porthos Potwatcher
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#107 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

No surprises to me in the "undercover picture." I don't personally think I will ever confuse McDonalds with The French Laundry. I like an occasional McRib. I may love well-prepared salmon but I still eat fish tacos as well. There is a broad spectrum of offerings out there. My objections come when someone clearly tries to deceive me.

Do you think McD's has tried to deceive you?  I don't know what the hell that stuff in the picture is, but it sure doesn't look like any pork I've ever seen.  Anyone know what it is?

(time passes)

I searched for ingredients and this was the first article that popped up:  http://naturalsociet...ed-ingredients/

Truth or fiction?

Edited by Shel_B, 12 November 2013 - 07:12 PM.

• rotuts likes this

.... Shel

#108 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

"---Anyone know what it is?"

Regular pork deep frozen with thick frost on the surface?

dcarch 

#109 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

SB:  excellent ref.

at least its   ""  pig heart, tongue, or stomach ""

waste not want not.  this is the efficient 'sandwich'

very 'green'

:blink:

I like the purple color of that ridged 'puck' they start with.  thats pure flavor right there !

we take it or we leave it.

but i guess not in Singapore.

Edited by rotuts, 13 November 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#110 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

The McRib analysis to end all McRib analyses.

The McRib is like Holbein’s skull: we experience it as (quasi-)foodstuff, as marketing campaign, as cult object, as Internet meme, but those experiences don’t sufficiently explain it. To understand McRib fully, we have to look at the sandwich askew.

The McRib’s existence injects a measure of otherwise unrealizable gratification into the social fabric of food culture, like the McRib’s sauce covers reconstituted pork to make it palatable. Normally, psychoanalysis is meant to reveal a desire in order to satisfy it. But in the case of McRib, that satisfaction must be temporary, occasional, such that it can return again the next year. A good thing, too because who could bear it every day?

Yet, the McRib’s perversity is not a defect, but a feature. The purpose of the McRib is to make the McNugget seem normal.

• judiu and rotuts like this
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#111 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

God I love that explanation Alex

#112 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

I like the purple color of that ridged 'puck' they start with.  thats pure flavor right there !

IMHO, one of the issues with the McRib is that consumers don't know what they're eating. 

• judiu likes this

.... Shel

#113 Meredith380

Meredith380
  • legacy participant
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

IMHO, one of the issues with the McRib is that consumers don't know what they're eating.

Isn't that the case with the majority of fast food?
  • annabelle likes this

#114 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Isn't that the case with the majority of fast food?

Probably.  The McRib is not unique in this regard.  Recently there was an admission by Burger King that, in Europe at least, their patties contained horsemeat. This came after repeated denials. 

Does the fact that other fast food chains play fast and loose with their ingredients make the McRib more acceptable?  I don't think that's what you're saying ... is it?

• judiu likes this

.... Shel

#115 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

Sweet, Salty, Fatty, Bun-ey.  The Major Food groups right there!

• judiu and annabelle like this

#116 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

If I want authentic barbeque, there are a million BBQ joints to head out to.  All of dubious sanitation measures as to food preparation and storage.

The McRib is a childhood take on a BBQ sandwich and is appealing to our sense of nostalgia.   Without the bones.

I like them.  Seldom eat them.  I would rather have the McRib than a chicken sandwich from McD's.

Re:  "The Atlantic".  Could that magazine get any snottier? 

• judiu likes this

#117 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

My local McD gets constant awards for its FastFood.  yes there are awards for this.

Its very clean, fast, and the food is piping hot. Apparently people go around and count the # of frenchFries in the order, as SOME

FF joints stiff you here and there.  And ooze grease:  in the air, on the floor, on the table tops.  Not this one.  They are locally owned 

and can vary quite a bit.

what it's not, nor does it claim to be, is healthy.

you take it or leave it. its up to you.

But what they are given to sell is another matter, and a bit interesting.  Didn't know there were bones ground into the Nuggets.

What the industry should NOT do nor be allowed to do is to market to children.

#118 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

to be fair, McD says  "pork"  if its from a Pig, it is actually Pork. might be Pork Parts, but ....

doubt the USDA defines 'Pork' as 'skeletal muscle from a Pig'   but maybe

someone needs to ask that Q on the ref above re McD 's ingredients.

#119 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Lancers.

:huh:

Now there's a blast from the past!

And an excellent suggestion.  Lancers, or Mateus Rose?

As for the whole McRib brouhaha.  Hard to understand that there's any controversy.  I mean, really.  Has anyone ever seen a large offset smoker and a pile of firewood out behind any Mickey D's?  Of course not.  It's not like they're putting something over on anyone.

Who could not realize this is just a "meat product" sort of barbecue?  Tasty, if you're fond of it.  But certainly nothing to take to the Kansas City Royal. 

So, good for McD's.  Free enterprise at work.  Coming up with new products.  Take it if you like it.  Leave it if you don't.

As Porthos says, no one of even the most marginal intelligence level is going to confuse McDonald's with the French Laundry.  Or Gates Barbecue, either.

In a world full of real issues worthy of getting one's blood up, real challenges to attack and conquer, I hardly think what is really in the McRib is the right hill to die on.

• judiu, annabelle and Porthos like this

#120 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

I may enjoy the occasional McRib (still haven't had one this season) but I would wash it down with a red ale if I were going to have any kind of alcohol with it. Most likely it will just be my usual diet Coke.

Porthos Potwatcher