Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Rome Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic

#391 ambra

ambra
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

I know you don't want an "oldie," I'm just going to point out a "goodie" anyway. Perilli in Testaccio has amazing primi. The best carbonara (with crunchy bits) and the best pastas with a sugo made from coda di vaccinara. Also, a delicious crema di zabaglione. (Somewhat like a mousse and not actual zabaglione. And not too sweet!!) Total old school place even in it's decor. But best carbonara ever.

Another solid is Felice and another is Flavio Velavevodetto.

I have to think for more. Hopefully some of the Romans will pop up here, I don't live there, just visit often!

If you check out Elizabeth Minchilli's blog (of the same name, I believe) she's got lots of Rome info.I like her because we agree on the carbonara at Perilli. :smile: I'm pretty sure there is something about Bonci on there. (His place is called Pizzarium and it's a shop not a pizzeria.)

Oh, if you like beer, there is a place called Open Baladin that has hundreds of beers. I know you can get that in the US, but they'll have a ton of artisanal beers made in Italy. another huge rage here now. Their menu gets mixed reviews though and anyway, they've got burgers and stuff which I am SURE you don't want. :laugh:

Edited by ambra, 05 November 2011 - 11:04 AM.

#392 Steve R.

Steve R.
  • participating member
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Mitch -

Eliz. Minchilli's blog last week has a great lead on hamburgers in Rome... that got people talking :rolleyes: More seriously, in that article, she references the place that the sous chef from Arco went to and that sounds hot right now. And, just a reminder that Ginny and I went to Perilli twice last month when we were there. Think pajata (or carbonara). Hanging out in Testaccio a bit, it seemed to us that a # of new places seem to be opening in that area. There's also a wine bar right on the square in Campo de Fiore that has a great listing by the glass and tables outside. In the middle of tourist central but it looked genuine. Remind me to give you the name... it's been there, looks like forever.

#393 Steve R.

Steve R.
  • participating member
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

"Oh, if you like beer, there is a place called Open Baladin that has hundreds of beers. I know you can get that in the US, but they'll have a ton of artisanal beers made in Italy. another huge rage here now".

That reminds me that we lucked into a really interesting place across from the Testaccio market that had 20-30 pages of beers. A lot were out of stock, but many were available and worth a shot. Wine list was also incredibly good, as they are a retail food and wine store and sell everything from the shelves to those at the tables.

#394 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

We are planning on being in Rome for a few days end of June. We are travelling with two small kids (8 and 5). Any recommendations brkfast, lunch and dinner would be much appreciated. Obviously no fancy high end places. I'd be more interested in more casual joints but not tourist traps. Pizza places and gelato are definitely a must as well. We are staying with family outside of Rome, but will be seeing the sights in the city (museums, colosseum,...) most of the time. Many thanks for any suggestions.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#395 dls12

dls12
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

This thread has been quiet for a year so I hope no one minds if I bump it.  My wife and I will be in Rome for three days next month, and would love to have some up-to-date restaurant recommendations.  We're well-traveled, and we do go in for high-end meals a few times a year.  But as this is the first visit to Italy for both of us, I think on this trip we're interested in more modest options (particularly in terms of production values, i.e. no La Pergola for us this time); so I'd love to hear suggestions for where to go for a variety of the very best of traditional Roman cooking.  Especially, if any of the restaurants discussed upthread are known to have gone downhill (or to have closed), that would be very helpful information.

#396 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

You gotta look at Katie Parla's info and app.  She's written any number of travel articles for the NY Times, National Geographic, and others.

Katie Parla.com

Parla Food

Katie and a number of her friends have also founded a very useful website called:

The Rome Digest

On our last trip to Rome, I contacted Katie directly and she was of tremendous help.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#397 MaLO

MaLO
  • participating member
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

<p>On our most recent trip to Frascati we decided that we would head into Rome for lunch.&nbsp; I considered all the usual options but settled on Metamorfosi.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Getting to the restaurant from Frascati is not too difficult.&nbsp; You get the train to Termini then a bus from Termini.&nbsp; It takes an hour or maybe less.&nbsp; So that&rsquo;s what we did.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>We arrived at the restaurant&nbsp; and&nbsp;made our way inside to be told that they were closed and would be open that evening.&nbsp; I had booked online a few weeks prior to our reservation, so I showed our confirmation email.&nbsp; There was an awkward moment while the restaurant people decided what to do with us, but happily they invited us in apologising for the mix up.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>So, after a slightly odd start, we were shown to our table and gifted a large glass of champagne each. A very good way to make things right.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>There are a few menu options at Metamorfosi.&nbsp; The prices range from about &euro;35 to &euro;100.&nbsp; I would have gone for the biggest menu but that was not available.&nbsp; Menu &quot;Gustando the classics&quot; was available so that&rsquo;s what we ordered.&nbsp; We did ask to switch the meat main course so the we got Wagyu beef &ldquo;per-fum&eacute;&rdquo; with hazelnuts mushrooms and tarragon and Squab in fig leaf foie gras and apple.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I don&rsquo;t write notes so pardon my lack of detail.&nbsp; It was the end of July and now is late September....</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Bread came in two services and was good.&nbsp; I particularly liked the olive oil ice cream served as butter.&nbsp; The bread was good.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Amuse was Chicken with curry spices and tiny herbs.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Chicken, Indian spices.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Raw Piedmontese Fassona expression of the moment.&nbsp; Very good.&nbsp; I love raw food.&nbsp; Pure and clean.&nbsp; Nuts and herbs to add flavour and texture.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Fassona.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Carbonara egg 65&deg;came with fried pasta and pork skin.&nbsp; All very good.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Carbonara egg 65.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spaghetti Masciarelli mussel powder and perfumes of the sea was next.&nbsp; No photo but it was as described, with plenty of kitchen trickery to add some real flavour.&nbsp; Quite spicy-hot, if&nbsp; recall properly.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Squab in fig leaf foie gras and apple.&nbsp; This was not mine but my share was really good.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Foie gras fig.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Fig foie gras.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Squab.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Wagyu beef &ldquo;per-fum&eacute;&rdquo; with hazelnuts mushrooms and tarragon was mine and was very, very nice.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Beef.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Wagyu Beef.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Next was a cheese course.&nbsp; Blue cheese and white chocolate as a lollypop and port gel. My preference is cheese.&nbsp; Good cheese, little or nothing with it.&nbsp; This was ok but not a replacement for a proper cheese course.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>White chocolate blue cheese port gel.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Dessert was White chocolate with caramelized bananas and Armagnac.&nbsp; Not my favourite flavours.&nbsp; It was in no way unpleasant but I would have chosen something else.&nbsp; Petits fours were good although I have no idea what they were!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>White chocolate with caramelized bananas and Armagnac.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Petits fours.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>We opted to take the wine pairing.&nbsp; It was ok.&nbsp; Nothing amazing.&nbsp; I had a couple of fantastic wine pairings in London at Medlar and Hedone on the day before this trip so they had a hard task following this pair.&nbsp; If you ever go to Medlar or Hedone the wine pairings are excellent, well worth asking for.&nbsp; I would advise caution in terms of the wine pairing at Metamorfosi.&nbsp; The wine list is good.&nbsp; If you have much money or excellent wine knowledge you will be fine, do your own thing, otherwise ask for advice based on the cash you want to spend. The wine pairing is not terrible; although I feel it could be more interesting and the list might offer better value.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Metamorfosi is good.&nbsp; The prices are very reasonable (especially the set menus) by Rome standards and the food is very enjoyable.&nbsp; I think it would have been a more enjoyable experience if the restaurant was busy.&nbsp; I don&rsquo;t quite know what happened with the not open at lunchtime problem.&nbsp; We did get fed very well though and the champagne made amends nicely.&nbsp; &nbsp;After lunch we went sightseeing and visited a few bars we knew from past visits.&nbsp; A personal favourite being AI TRE SCALINI, not far from termini or the Coliseum and a nice little place.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>DSC03826.JPG </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>If you walk toward the coliseum you will find a small square where you can sit outside in the evening sun (if you can find a bar that is not too annoying &ndash; they can be a bit odd) and listen to the music and enjoy the life.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Rome.jpg </p>

Edited by MaLO, 21 September 2013 - 01:56 PM.

Martin