Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Trader Joe's Products (2002–2011)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
547 replies to this topic

#541 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

Chocolate covered potato chips - skip them (too much fake tasting barely chocolate stuff and just a bit of chip)

I was sadly, sadly disappointed in those chips as well. And that sweet/salty combo is one one of my favorite tastes (witness my butterscotch coated pretzels). But those were really terrible.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#542 nolnacs

nolnacs
  • participating member
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Trader Joe's has started carrying speculoos, the cookie based spread that originated in the Netherlands. I've never had the opportunity to try the original product, but the Trader Joe's version (which is made in the Netherlands) is very, very tasty. It's quite smooth and tastes quite a bit like gingerbread or in the words of my wife: "it tastes like Christmas!"

#543 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

Recently I've discovered Trader Joe's brioche bread. It is an extremely useful product--especially if you need stale brioche bread for french toast or bread pudding, since it is pretty much stale as soon as you buy it. Actually I very much like it for toast.

#544 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

katie, i believe that terrific brioche is seasonal, so you might want to freeze a few loaves before it disappears! and nolnacs, that "cookie butter" as tj labels it is so, so good! i have started hoarding it, as i think it has "discontinued" written all over it...just not the type of thing i think will catch on with the masses, so...i've got a few jars in the "earthquake kit". :rolleyes: it's a knock-off of the biscoff spread they sell in europe, and i used to bring a couple jars back in my suitcase, wrapped in least-loved sweaters, so i'm really glad to have this option--and so is my dry-cleaner!
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#545 Genkinaonna

Genkinaonna
  • participating member
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

I always stock up on the frozen puff pastry while they have it in stock...as a matter of fact, I have some palmiers in the oven right now for a cookie swap!
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

#546 TheNoodleIncident

TheNoodleIncident
  • participating member
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

I did a search for this, so hopefully I'm not repeating one that has been posted.

Has anyone tried TJ's 2011 Vintage Ale? Or any of the prior year's offering for that matter? It's contracted brewed by Unibroue (brewers of La Fin du Monde and Maudite), so it's hopefully good stuff - and at $4.99 for a 750ml, it's a steal! It's a strong dark Belgian ale, and has received decent reviews on the regular craft beer sites, but was wondering if anyone here has tried it personally?

#547 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

I did a search for this, so hopefully I'm not repeating one that has been posted.

Has anyone tried TJ's 2011 Vintage Ale? Or any of the prior year's offering for that matter? It's contracted brewed by Unibroue (brewers of La Fin du Monde and Maudite), so it's hopefully good stuff - and at $4.99 for a 750ml, it's a steal! It's a strong dark Belgian ale, and has received decent reviews on the regular craft beer sites, but was wondering if anyone here has tried it personally?

Yea, we had some last year. Bought a bottle a couple days ago but have not had it yet. Last year's was pretty good. I've had similar beers from other breweries that were similar, a malty dark ale with spice added (I seem to remember clove and other autumn-y spices, but it's been a year and I've had a few beers since then). I should mention that I tend to go for more hoppy stuff like IPAs, but I do like a good stout on a cold evening too.

Jess

#548 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

Im becoming a convert too...

Their Asian foods are KNOCKOUTS!

[Manager's Note:  This topic continues in Trader Joe's Products (2012 - )...]

Edited by LindaK, 26 March 2013 - 04:41 AM.
Edited to add note

Wawa Sizzli FTW!