Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Trader Joe's Products (2002–2011)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
547 replies to this topic

#361 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

Now that I'm in the midst of a kitchen renovation, with only a fridge and a microwave, I'm experimenting with prepared foods for the first time.

TJ has some interesting options. The one "find" I would add to the list here is the package of precooked French lentils that I found amongst the other legumes. Except for a trace of olive oil, no ingredients or spices to get in the way of your own creation. With little effort, it made a tasty, traditional lentil salad with parsley, shallots, and vinaigrette. More importantly, it made me forget that I don't have a kitchen.

#362 MomOfLittleFoodies

MomOfLittleFoodies
  • participating member
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:06 PM

I tried the chicken shu mai this weekend... they were horribly bland even with the sauce provided.
Cheryl

#363 lemniscate

lemniscate
  • participating member
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:26 PM

The Beef and Green Chile burritos are making me very happy. Good balance of meat to green chile. The chile is in strips, not diced.

#364 pups224

pups224
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:43 AM

My favorite is their Walnut Gorgonzola tortellini, made in Italy. Also, the Chile-Cheese tamales are okay for when I need freezer food. Stay away from the puff pastry. It was awful.
I have the Tarte d'Alsace in my freezer. Will try. Also, the Niman Ranch BBQ ribs in the fridge/meat section are a serious bargain.

#365 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

Stay away from the puff pastry. It was awful.

Really? Was it the all butter kind? I heard great things about it.

#366 pups224

pups224
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

Stay away from the puff pastry. It was awful.

Really? Was it the all butter kind? I heard great things about it.

View Post

It had butter un it but did not rise. It had no taste. I am back to making my own puff paste or buy Dufour's.

#367 sockii

sockii
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

"Greens with Envy" is the veggie mix with the edamame, spinach, and beans. Really, really good, a great simple base that I usually spice up with some olive oil and garlic.

I keep a supply of the TJ's frozen veggie mixes in my freezer for quick side dishes when making a time-consuming main dish (or for a quick light meal). The Thai Green Beans, Balsamic Vegetables, Potato Medley, and this one with yellow and orange carrots & almonds are my favorites.

I also like most of their Mexican frozen foods - the taquitos and burritos especially. I haven't been as crazy about their rice bowls (too bland, not enough meat or seafood) and other asian dishes.

I also keep a supply of their flash frozen fish in my freezer for "emergency" meals. The way they're sealed, they really DO taste pretty fresh when prepared, and hold up better to long-term storage. Nice deal for the price, especially for making dishes like fish soup or stew.
sockii

#368 LindsayAnn

LindsayAnn
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Sockii - I love the taquitos and agree their burritos are yummy, at least the varieties of burritos I have tried. As for the taquitos I prefer the beef (shredded beef) ones to the chicken. I also like the mini tacos - just beef or chicken in the center - again here I prefer the beef (shredded, like the taquitos).

I like their frozen calamari (not breaded, just the squid rings) in the bag. I love it chewy, yes I am weird I suppose, since you are "supposed" to like calamari NOT chewy...or whatever they say...you know all those recommendations to NOT overcook it or is will get chewy....etc etc etc. HAHA - I WANT mine chewy - and I am proud to admit it :)

Quick note: not a frozen item, but I love their peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets.....I like the salted ones - they also sell them in non-salted though.
"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

#369 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

I'm reviving this discussion with a thumbs up for their chicken taquitos. I'm sure you've all had that brand of taquito's (Delimex?) that come 50 in a box that you can buy at Costco and other grocery stores. The Trader Joe's version is much better, in my opinion.
With the Trader Joe's version, there are only 10 taquitos in a package. They're a little thicker than the Delimex version. I believe they came in beef, too, but I went with the chicken. They were quite good and tasted almost homemade. I heated them up in the microwave and when I took them out they looked like they were starting to unravel/unroll. While some may consider this a negative, it just seemed to emphasize to me that they were more like a homemade dish. I imagine they would have tasted even better if I had pan-fried them on the stove in a little corn oil.

I was also impressed with their (Mandarin?) Orange Chicken. The chicken pieces come pre-battered. You bake them in the oven and then toss them in the accompanying orange sauce afterwards.
The batter isn't that thick chewy kind you get in some Chinese fast food restaurants. It's a thin coating that comes out crisp after baking. On some of the smaller pieces of chicken, it was almost too crisp after baking.
I was also happily surprised to find that the orange sauce wasn't overly sweet. It had a nice balance between sweet and sour and, again, it wasn't a thick & gooey sauce like what you get with a lot of Chinese restaurant's Orange Chicken. If you don't like your Orange Chicken too crisp I suppose you could always dress the pieces in the sauce and then give it time to soak in.

Has anyone else tried either food item from Trader Joe's?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#370 heidih

heidih
  • 10,740 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

The kids like the Mandarin Orange Chicken as an alternative to chicken nuggets for a snack. I bake them pretty crispy and they use toothpicks to dip them in the sauce versus pouring the sauce over them. I usually steal a few for myself. Since they are dark meat they are pretty flavorful even without the sauce.

#371 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Dammit, I'm jealous! Not one store in the whole freakin' state! GRRRRRRR :angry:
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#372 MomOfLittleFoodies

MomOfLittleFoodies
  • participating member
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

I'm reviving this discussion with a thumbs up for their chicken taquitos. I'm sure you've all had that brand of taquito's (Delimex?) that come 50 in a box that you can buy at Costco and other grocery stores. The Trader Joe's version is much better, in my opinion.
With the Trader Joe's version, there are only 10 taquitos in a package. They're a little thicker than the Delimex version. I believe they came in beef, too, but I went with the chicken. They were quite good and tasted almost homemade. I heated them up in the microwave and when I took them out they looked like they were starting to unravel/unroll. While some may consider this a negative, it just seemed to emphasize to me that they were more like a homemade dish. I imagine they would have tasted even better if I had pan-fried them on the stove in a little corn oil.

I was also impressed with their (Mandarin?) Orange Chicken. The chicken pieces come pre-battered. You bake them in the oven and then toss them in the accompanying orange sauce afterwards.
The batter isn't that thick chewy kind you get in some Chinese fast food restaurants. It's a thin coating that comes out crisp after baking. On some of the smaller pieces of chicken, it was almost too crisp after baking.
I was also happily surprised to find that the orange sauce wasn't overly sweet. It had a nice balance between sweet and sour and, again, it wasn't a thick & gooey sauce like what you get with a lot of Chinese restaurant's Orange Chicken. If you don't like your Orange Chicken too crisp I suppose you could always dress the pieces in the sauce and then give it time to soak in.

View Post

I've bought both fairly frequently... the Mandarin Orange Chicken is a family favorite. If you like that, you may also want to try the Tempura Chicken with Sweet and Sour sauce... that's yummy too.

My most recent new find at TJ's are frozen Chicken and Cilantro Mini Wontons. They're pretty good.
Cheryl

#373 LindsayAnn

LindsayAnn
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

View Post

PLEASE PLEASE if you like the chicken taquitos try the beef...in my humble opinion they are even better than the chicken....although both are yummy.

I bake mine in the toaster...if in a hurry I microve first and then back at the end to crisp up. I sometimes melt shredded cheese on top, but usually just dip em' in sour cream. They are yummy even plain those....the cheese and sour cream just further the yummy factor....but of course cheese does that for any food (I am a cheese lover in all forms...hehe)
"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

#374 LindsayAnn

LindsayAnn
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

I agree on the sweet and sour chicken -yum on both.

More recent finds:

After tyring the new (at least new to the midwest product line that Trader Joes carries...and this does vary in different geographical areas!) Sheppards pie while shopping at TJ (sample item that day, they are so smart to do this with new foods they intruduce.....they give samples in the store so customers can try new products before they buy....this has made me a repeat buyer for so so many of their items) I instantly bought myself one. I do not think I woulda purchased the Sheppards Pie without the sample....not somethiing I usually buy or am a big fan of....but after trying theirs I was sold. The Pie is not on a regular rotation or anything (some of their frozen items are regulars in my freezer and I re-stock as soon as I consume....i.e. taquitos, burritos, breaded chicken tenders)....but I do NOW, again - thanks to their sampling marketing technique, purchase the sheppards pie every so often. It is low fat, low cal, 2 servings per container but even eating the ENTIRE thing (a pretty big portion) makes it fairy healthy. Think Veggies like corn, green beans, peas, all in a light gravy sauce, topped with BIG chunks of shredded beef (pot roast tasting-ish) abd topped with a thin (but fair) layer of mashed potatoes. Very Balanced, quite yummy.

#375 LindsayAnn

LindsayAnn
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

I love Trader Joes.

I want to know what you think. I love finding new products at Trader Joes, and I beleive by sharing our Trader Joe secrets and insider tips we can all find NEW TO US items....thus we will all benefit!

What are your favorite finds? And why do you love these items so much?

What are your recent finds?

Any items on regular rotation in your shopping cart / cabinets?

Any disappointing items that we should avoid? Why?

Any favorites been discontinues in their product mix/rotation?

SHARE, share, pleaseeee share!

-From a devoted TJ fan/customer

#376 pedie

pedie
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Thanks, LindsayAnn, for the topic. I am a TJ regular. I enjoy the selections they offer and I become frustrated when a favorite item is discontinued.

I purchase many staples from TJs, like the Milton's Bread (great price savings) and the TJ partially baked Filone bread (delicious sliced and fried in olive oil). Also,their jar of capers...I prefer the larger buds they offer. I like the King Arthur Unbleached flour. I see that their whole wheat flour no longer is King Arthur, but is now a TJ brand.

I usually buy my dairy products from them. Good prices on butter.

I also buy their eggs...used to buy the jumbo, but recently I have been buying the organic eggs.

A discontinued item that I was so sorry to see leave was their dry mix spelt soup. I used it for a base for many dishes using farro. Fortunately I stocked up on it quite a bit, but even that stash is coming to an end.

For a quick and tasty vegetable, I like their frozen broccoli and water chestnuts with the packet of ginger sauce.

I enjoy the Mochi ice cream...yummy...for a quick and easy sweet at the end of a meal. They used to carry a Ginger Ice Cream that I loved, but it has disappeared. :-(
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

#377 LindsayAnn

LindsayAnn
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

I will start by answering my own questions! Maybe someone will find these useful on their end...at least I hope so.

What are your favorite finds? And why do you love these items so much?

Peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets-salted and unsalted but the salted are the best, frozen taquitos beef variety, frozen breaded chicken tenders, frozen burritos are good - many variety options here, their cheese section has some great finds - i specifically enjoy many of their goat cheeses (chevres), refrigerator pre-cooked beef tenderloin - it's quick to microwave, re-heats good if you cook alone and have leftovers, and its yummy, their frozen mac and cheese (I think its 2 portions but I eat both it's sooooo good and homemade tasting), I love their frozen appetizer items...so many to choose from here.

What are your recent finds?

Recent finds are the frozen sheppards pie...its yummy, two servings (if for dinner I eat both) low cal and low fat, and has a good ratio of veggies (corn, peas, green beans) to gravy to LARGE beef chunks to potatoes. Nicely seasoned, mmmmm mmmm mmmmm

Any items on regular rotation in your shopping cart / cabinets?
The peanut butter pretzels mentioned above, pre-cooked beef tenderloin, frozen mac and cheese and taquito's. I also usually have some of their cheeses in my fridge. Oh, almost forgot - also their "cutties", aka Clementine :) YUM!

Any disappointing items that we should avoid? Why?

I know I have had some purchases that immediately ended up in the garbage can....although I believe this is the case when my personal taste preferences do not favor the item. I do not believe it is USUALLY because of bad qaulity or taste. I can not think of any items off hand, but I know I have had some. I will try to think about this in more detail and post/update later

Any favorites been discontinues in their product mix/rotation?

Sadly yes. My most favorite item ever that they discontinues is their refrigerated UNCOOKED (but fully prepared/stuffed/breaded) Chicken Cordeon Blues. Two to a package, they were HUGE, the package of both was over 1.5 pounds.....they took a while to took (60 mins in the oven, sometimes more I beleive) but they were sooo sooo good. I loved these. Better than I can make on my own (my filling always oozes out - no matter what technique i try), and theirs were sooo much better than the frozen ones I have tried. Chicken breast, stuffed/filled (to their trader joes limit) to the brink with THICK ham, swiss cheese, seasoned, rolled in bread crumbs, these were to die for. I still scan the fresh meat case everytime I pass by (at the entrance of my mainstay TJ)...in hopes they will return.

sniff, sniff....

I am sure I will think of more favorites to post later, and hopefully I will remember the items I tried that I did not prefer. I will be back soon to update....and to HOPEFULLY read your TJ opinions.

Linz

#378 LindsayAnn

LindsayAnn
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Thanks, LindsayAnn, for the topic.  I am a TJ regular.  I enjoy the selections they offer and I become frustrated when a favorite item is discontinued.

I purchase many staples from TJs, like the Milton's Bread (great price savings) and the TJ partially baked Filone bread (delicious sliced and fried in olive oil). Also,their jar of capers...I prefer the larger buds they offer. I like the King Arthur Unbleached flour.  I see that their whole wheat flour no longer is King Arthur, but is now a TJ brand.

I usually buy my dairy products from them.  Good prices on butter.

I also buy their eggs...used to buy the jumbo, but recently I have been buying the organic eggs.

A discontinued item that I was so sorry to see leave was their dry mix spelt soup.  I used it for a base for many dishes using farro.  Fortunately I stocked up on it quite a bit, but even that stash is coming to an end.

For a quick and tasty vegetable, I like their frozen broccoli and water chestnuts with the packet of ginger sauce.

I enjoy the Mochi ice cream...yummy...for a quick and easy sweet at the end of a meal. They used to carry a Ginger Ice Cream that I loved, but it has disappeared. :-(

View Post

Thanks Pedie for "starting" the response for me. You beat me to the punch :biggrin: which in this case is a good thing since I was hoping that this topic would be successful....I was hoping for it's success because I love TJ THAT much. I think they should be paying me for advertising them so!

I promise I DO NOT work there, nor am I affiliated with them. I am a teacher...not a salesman (although I used to be, haha).

#379 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

I love to shop at TJ's and there are several things I buy on a regular basis. However I have delayed shopping lately because I am trying to use up stuff in my pantry and I have also been away from home for the past several days and will be gone a bit longer.

I was very disappointed at my last visit when I could not find the White Bean Hummus.

In November I purchased a significant stock of the "instant" chestnuts - shelled chestnuts that need only one minute in the microwave to be ready to serve or add to any recipe one can imagine.

Love the frozen puff pastry. Love most of the frozen vegetables. Frozen desserts.

Love the produce in the sealed packages - particularly during "plague" season. Hate to buy fresh produce that has been fingered and sneezed on by people carrying various "bugs" and so on.
(It has been three years since I had a cold or the flu and I do not get flu shots.)

Breads are great and when I don't feel like baking my own, I purchase TJ's.

Love the different varieties of coffees and note that the strength of the dark roasts are such that one needs less to produce a decent brew. Also buy the various fruit "teas" and regular teas.

Love the little bite-sized toasts - they are always fresh and crisp. The different types of crackers with the TJ brand.

The dried fruits when I haven't made my own.

And the nuts. The huge cashews "world's largest" really are! Always fresh because of the extremely rapid turnover.

And the soups!

It is difficult for me to get out of TJ's without a significant amount on my receipt. I have several of their extra large insulated bags as well as the other type and almost always have to add at least one paper bag.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#380 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

I like the King Arthur Unbleached flour.  I see that their whole wheat flour no longer is King Arthur, but is now a TJ brand.

View Post

sadly, tj's is discontinuing all king arthur flours.
king arthur website blog
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#381 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

I found my last receipt from TJ's just to show just how much I love the store. (And have been a fan since the very beginning and even before it was actually TJ's.)
Posted Image

This was shortly before the beginning of the "Klatch: A week without shopping" exercise.
And as you can guess, it was not at all difficult for me for me to go 2 weeks + without shopping.
However the next time I visited TJ's I spent less than thirty dollars, which has to be a record for me.
I rarely spend as much as shown on this receipt, but my weekly purchases, usually with lots of cheeses, produce and dairy, add up.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#382 rickster

rickster
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

I like the King Arthur Unbleached flour.  I see that their whole wheat flour no longer is King Arthur, but is now a TJ brand.

View Post

sadly, tj's is discontinuing all king arthur flours.
king arthur website blog

View Post

That is bad news. They always had the best prices anywhere on King Arthur.

I used to be a huge fan of Trader Joe's, but over time they have migrated more and more to selling only their own branded products, which I find to be hit or miss. These days I use them for only a few select items.

#383 baroness

baroness
  • participating member
  • 880 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

I attended one of King Arthur's "Baking Across America" classes recently and the topic of Trader Joe's came up. They suggested e-mailing, writing, or talking to the store managers about stocking KA; supposedly Trader Joe's is more customer service oriented than some other grocers. They (TJ's) have reintroduced other items; with enough pressure, maybe we can get 'our' flour again!

#384 Carole

Carole
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

I attended one of King Arthur's "Baking Across America" classes recently and the topic of Trader Joe's came up. They suggested e-mailing, writing, or talking to the store managers about stocking KA; supposedly Trader Joe's is more customer service oriented than some other grocers. They (TJ's) have reintroduced other items; with enough pressure, maybe we can get 'our' flour again!

View Post

I did email TJ corporate as soon as I heard about them dropping KA flour and this was their response:

"Thank you for writing to us about our switch to Trader Joe's label
flour. We are happy to have carried King Arthur Flour for over 10 years,
they are a good company and are very good at marketing the King Arthur
brand. However, in order to continue to give our customers a
high-quality flour at an impossibly low price, we needed to switch to
the Trader Joe's label.

Like King Arthur, we do not own mills or produce our own baking mixes,
we must contract with others to produce our flour. It did not make sense
for us to continue to pay costs associated with marketing a brand name,
when we can contract for flour of comparable quality and pass the
savings on to our customers. The retail for Trader Joe's Flour will be
$2.99 for the same size bag. We hope you fill (sic) give Trader Joe's Flour a
try."

All I know is that a lower price won't be enough to entice me to switch from KA flour. That was what I told them in my original email. (Actually I used TJ's 'Contact Us' form.)

I think they are trying to only carry their branded products. I've found myself buying less and less there over the last year. In my experience the quality consistency isn't quite what it used to be. Plus they've dropped some of my favorites (cheese blintzes!!! gone!).

#385 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

(cheese blintzes!!! gone!).

View Post

Not at mine!

#386 Carole

Carole
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

(cheese blintzes!!! gone!).

View Post

Not at mine!

View Post

Oh, not fair! The blintzes our store now carries are non-dairy. They look like cheese but aren't. I'm not sure what exactly they use (soy, ???) but they are not cheese. I guess these things must be regional.

#387 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

I stopped at Trader Joe's today, and among other things, I bought two products I've never purchased there before: a tub of the caramel cashew cookies (outstanding) and a little package of Chewy Crisp Tom Yum Cashews (these are odd, more like a savory spicy cashew brittle with a hint of sweet and I can't decide if I like them or not.

I regularly get nuts, dried fruit and cheese (with three kids, the price can't be beat). We're also big fans of the take and bake breads for those times when you just don't feel like baking. I can, for lunch, just pop one of the ciabatta rolls in the toaster oven, and voila -- a crusty warm roll with soup. I can get a similar product at my local supermarket for about twice the price.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#388 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

I generally stay away from all prepared frozen stuff, too many "exotic" tings in there and too many cooking tricks to ensure everything is cooked in what ever minutes it takes, but there are exceptions. The Tarte was already mentioned, that thing is so good that I'd not hesitate serving it to anyone and I doubt I could make them any better myself. Just the kids aren't the biggest fans, they prefer the pizza, and TJs frozen pizza is really much better than the major brand stuff you find elsewhere. That they are made in italy in real wood fired ovens is nice, but also a bit silly IMO. I love Italy, my favorite country to visit, but to import pizza from there is a bit much. TJs does have a lot of things from Europe, they are (still - I believe) owned by Aldi, the super discount grocery from Germany (where you can actually buy California nuts for a 5th of what they cost here in California, go figure.....). They have nice salads and finally have open fruits. I'm not a fan of packs of 4 or 5 or what ever, I prefer to pick my own and take as many or as few as I need.

They do have good meat, though I'm suspicious of meat packed in one of those drum like packs, they have some inert gas in there instead of air which keeps it good longer. But how long was it in there? They have some precooked ribs slathered in sauce that are really quite good. And the tri tip steak is also really good.

Great selection of coffee too. Some very good breads, nice little loafs that we more or less finish with one dinner, which is neat.

I love their cheese selection, same brands as at Safeway, but much much cheaper. Some nice upscale olive oils and the one in the big round bottle with a pour spout is quite good for general cooking. The balsamico in the little square bottle is good too, for regular I use the Kirkland brand, which is also very good (and for very special occasions I use the expensive stuff my cousin makes in Italy, yummmm!).

I've not have had any luck with their frozen fish though, fishy tasting, too moist, just not good. Lamb chops on the other hand are very good.

Some nice snack food and bars too.

I like their own brand beer (not sure if they sell it all over the US? It's made in San Jose by Gordon Biersch AFAIK and is quite authentic). I don't usually buy wine there, our house wine is Meridian which I get at Costco and we get 3 bottles from a local wine store each month for more fancy (around $15) selections.

Nuts and all the dried stuff is great and a wide selection. Flowers are cheap and keep just as well as any others. I've almost always been lucky with their avocados too, the baby heirloom tomato mix is fun to use, as well as the little onions.

Service is always great and yes, returning stuff is no problem. I've had their muffins mold on me more than once and didn't even return them, just told them and that was that. (I don't buy those anymore).

I go there once a week now, as my son has Karate in the same strip mall. Add the farmer's market on Sunday and I rarely go to Safeway anymore, Whole Foods for specialties like dry aged beef or fresh fish (if I don't get it at the market).
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#389 quiet1

quiet1
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:34 AM

PLEASE PLEASE if you like the chicken taquitos try the beef...in my humble opinion they are even better than the chicken....although both are yummy.

I bake mine in the toaster...if in a hurry I microve first and then back at the end to crisp up. I sometimes melt shredded cheese on top, but usually just dip em' in sour cream. They are yummy even plain those....the cheese and sour cream just further the yummy factor....but of course cheese does that for any food (I am a cheese lover in all forms...hehe)

View Post

I like the taquitos as an after-class fast meal (I have classes from 6 to 9pm and so am normally dying for dinner by the time I get home) just microwaved (not ideal, but speedy) and then with the Trader Joe's guacamole to dip into. Best pre-made guacamole I've encountered. (Although I'm not terribly fond of the version with salsa in it. I like my salsa and my guacamole to be separate.) (Not as good as making it yourself, of course, but at least there's less messing about with if the avocados are ripe enough.)

Chicken and beef are both v. good, so I tend to buy a package of both and then bag them up into mixed serving sized portions to keep in the freezer. :)

As mentioned the pork carnitas is also quite good.

I'm also guilty of buying the not-terribly-fantastic asparagus risotto - I think of it less as a risotto and more as a variation on 'comfort food' mac'n'cheese for days when I want something kind of unexciting that I don't have to put any real effort into eating.

#390 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

I bought a package of their Pumpernickel Pretzel Sticks and was surprised to taste the flavor of caraway seeds.
Since when does pumpernickel have caraway seeds? :blink:
Are they confusing pumpernickel with rye bread?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”