Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What do you recommend at Costco?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#151 llc45

llc45
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

i saw the stock, but i didn't like that it was in big containers....

Ha - I go through a whole case every 1-2 weeks. I especially like that I can use a little and then seal it up and put it in the fridge till I need more.

#152 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Just noticed that Costco, at least in the Northeast US, is now selling cheeses aged and packaged by Artisanal. We tried the Tomme Fermier D'Alsace today and it was terrific -- one of the best pieces of cheese I've had in recent memory.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#153 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

After buying boxes and boxes of Reynolds Aluminum Foil in regular grocery stores, I switched to the Costco FoodService box of aluminum foil. It was huge and expensive when compared to the normal boxes of foil you buy in the regular grocery stores. The first foodservice box of foil I bought at Costco lasted me quite a while. So when I bought my second foodservice box of foil, I decided to date the box so I would know how long the box lasted me.
Now I am a moderate home cook, cooking for one. By moderate I mean I do eat out a day or two during the week but do most of my own cooking for the rest of my meals. I'd use the aluminum foil for lining baking sheets, wrapping leftovers, etc, just general use.
This weekend I used the last of this second box of foil and saw that I had dated the box "9/21/08". This Costco Foodservice box of aluminum foil lasted me just over four years and one month. :shock:
Now if only Costco sold the Reynolds Release (nonstick) aluminum foil in a simlarly sized foodservice box, I'd be a happy camper...er, I mean "cook"! :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#154 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

I used to also get the plastic wrap in food service size...until i realzied that the one they sell is not PVC-free..which i understand is a bad thing for microwaving food and for wrapping high fat items...both of which i do extensively.

#155 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Meats. Tenderloin, NY strip, pork chops.

#156 GlowingGhoul

GlowingGhoul
  • participating member
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Shopping at CostCo for a few years helps develop the skills needed to manage bulk purchases.

Once you've got that down, you can move up to the big leagues of bulk shopping....Restaurant Depot!

#157 MollyB

MollyB
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I used to be able to get the Kirkland brand 4-cheese ravioli, which were great--and that my 18-mo. old would reliably eat. (He won't touch any of the other frozen ravioli I've tried.) I can't find them anymore at the Costco stores in my area (Reno, NV). The only ravioli I can find now are the spinach and mozzarella. Are they still available anywhere, or are they gone for good?

#158 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I used to be able to get the Kirkland brand 4-cheese ravioli, which were great--and that my 18-mo. old would reliably eat. (He won't touch any of the other frozen ravioli I've tried.) I can't find them anymore at the Costco stores in my area (Reno, NV). The only ravioli I can find now are the spinach and mozzarella. Are they still available anywhere, or are they gone for good?

I've seen ravioli at my local Costco but haven't noticed whether it was the 4-cheese variety. Will look next time I go.
On the way out of your Costco, you should see a suggestion box. Stop and drop in your suggestion to keep the 4-cheese ravioli in stock (the suggestion box area should have pieces of paper there to write on. You usually are asked to include your membership number on the slip).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#159 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I like the Tiger Prawns, the new vintage if Tuscan Olive oil is in, and if you watch the meat.. you can find prime beef cuts labeled choice
Its good to have Morels