Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls--Cook-Off 36

Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Cabbage rolls have to be one of my favourite foods. I come from a Ukrainian background, so sour heads are preferred over fresh cabbage. The traditional stuffing we used while growing up consisted of rice and toasted buckwheat but I add plenty of ground beef, onion and diced tomatoes. The sauce we always used sparingly (only to keep the leaves moist while cooking) and instead of being tomato based or brown sauce based it was sautéed onions, mushrooms and heavy cream.

Your recipe sounds delicious, I'd like to give it a try.

It does raise a question for me, though, about the cabbage roll: sauce ratio. You say that you use sauce sparingly, only to keep the leaves moist. I always thought that cabbage rolls cooked by simmering in the sauce, so that they'd need sufficient sauce to be mostly submerged. Is that unnecessary--have I been over-saucing all these years? If you use less, do you need to baste the rolls while they cook? I do like having sauce to spoon over cabbage rolls when I serve them, but can't imagine a pot full of heavy cream.

#122 TylerK

TylerK
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

Your recipe sounds delicious, I'd like to give it a try.

It does raise a question for me, though, about the cabbage roll: sauce ratio. You say that you use sauce sparingly, only to keep the leaves moist. I always thought that cabbage rolls cooked by simmering in the sauce, so that they'd need sufficient sauce to be mostly submerged. Is that unnecessary--have I been over-saucing all these years? If you use less, do you need to baste the rolls while they cook? I do like having sauce to spoon over cabbage rolls when I serve them, but can't imagine a pot full of heavy cream.

Linda - Sorry my reply took so long. I was away for the weekend.

It was always my assumption that the larger amounts of sauce used in other recipes were to cook the rice (if uncooked rice was used) and to help tenderize the cabbage. When using a sour head the leaves are already very tender, and all my ingredients are usually pre-cooked before I stuff the rolls. The cooked buckwheat serves as enough 'glue' to hold things together. The cream IMO softens the sourness of the cabbage very nicely, but I also don't want it swimming in heavy cream. I've never had any problems with them drying out...I just layer them in a large casserole with the cream/mushroom/onion mixture, cover and bake in the oven. My baba used to make it (and my mother continues to make it) with canned cream of mushroom soup :)

I have tried it with brown sauce and it is also very good, but I'm not sure how well it would go with a tomato sauce. The cabbage leaves are already acid enough and there are diced tomatoes in the filling anyway.

#123 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'm ready for cabbage rolls, again. :wub:

#124 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Ok, mine are in the oven. I used Piegori's recipe and it smells soooo good. The only thing I did different is I thickened up the tomato sauce (I used some of my canned tomatoes from the garden) with some flour and butter. I've never done that before, but I wanted a thicker sauce. It tastes great. After they are done I'll probably use a bit of sour cream in it also.

I made some homemade croutons the other day, so I'm making the egg noodles just as she instructed :)

I've been so lax in taking pictures, but I'll try to remember.

#125 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

1# Ground Local Raised Lamb/Onion/Garlic/Carrot/Celery/ Brown Rice/ Majorem -- around Dutch Cabbage

My sauce was Hunts/ Worcestershire sauce and La Cucina Marinara( I had it left over )

8132147527_0a3abaaae6_h.jpg
Its good to have Morels

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff