Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Minneapolis Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#31 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 02:57 PM

I think it's time we tried for a gathering!

Give me a week or so. October is completely filled, and I'm working on what free time I have in November.

But I agree with you.

Bruce

#32 canoodle

canoodle
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 08:30 PM

Just a question for Bruce: How is Surdyk's cheese shop these days? My great friend Sally used to manage it and left last year to start up her own wholesale cheese import business. I haven't been in for some time. I miss being able to call her up and say "what's special?" And in a few days I'd have a lovely package at my door. I'd also stop in when she wasn't busy and she'd stuff me full of cheese. Yummy. I am also friends with Barb, the COO of the evil D'Amico empire. LOL It's great fun to dine out with these two.

I'm also with you on Kramerczechs (sp). LOL We usually stop by and get some meats to eat at the hotel. :raz: Another stop we make is usually (dare I say it) White Castle on Univ. and then to Como to picnic. We don't have sliders here in ND..and for some odd reason, I crave them. After I've eaten a few I'm so turned off. Shamed probably.

The Thai situation used to be so bleak. I'm going to have to try true thai. Sawatai is just horrible. We usually keep going on to Chicago if we want Thai. :laugh:
After taking a mouthful of boiling hot coffee, what ever you do next is wrong.

#33 col klink

col klink
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 08:26 AM

I'm not from the cities (go Twins! teach that rat bastard of a commisioner a lesson), but I occasionally drop on down. I was just at Surdyk's and walked through their cheese shop. I really wasn't impressed, they had a somewhat decent selection of cheeses but usually only for outrageous prices. However, this is the only cheese shop I've been to in Minnesota since I've moved here from Seattle. So I guess it's unfair to compare Surdyk's to my Seattle cheese shops. Also unfair was the fact that it was jam-packed on a Saturday afternoon and I'm notorious for getting cranky when I'm shopping and there's no room to walk around.

At least the wine section made it a worthwhile trip. I was able to find a couple of Cote du Rhone's that I liked in Seattle. Now it's time to find a nice small shop that really knows their stuff (of course, like I had in Seattle).

#34 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 08:38 AM

Surdyk's cheese shop is okay. It's not Artesinal in New York, but it's what we have.

I did pretty well cheese shopping for my party. They didn't have everything I wanted, but I did pretty well.

Bruce

#35 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 06:51 PM

Surdyk's cheese shop is okay.  It's not Artesinal in New York, but it's what we have.

I did pretty well cheese shopping for my party.  They didn't have everything I wanted, but I did pretty well.

Bruce

My standard for a cheese shop is the Cheese Board in Berkeley, CA. Nothing in the twin cities can hold a candle to this one. We do Surdyk's because they have a huge selection.

For local "artisnal," the St. Paul Farmer's Market is pretty good.

For supermarkets, I have just about as good luck at Kowalski's as anywhere. I'm happier with Kowalski's than Lund's or Byerly's. Wedge isn't bad, either.

I've also discovered that if I shop fairly wisely, I can do just about as well (price wise) at Kowalski's as Cub or Rainbow, and the difference is service is worth anything more I pay.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#36 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 12:14 AM

Two Kowalski's recently showed up close to our home, so we do most of our shopping there now.

Bruce

#37 AlexP

AlexP
  • participating member
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:36 AM

Well, I lived two blocks from Lunds for 5 years, so I am an avid fan. I could not shop anywhere else for a while. Now, Rainbow takes most of our trips with Lunds a second for products that I cannot find anywhere else. I have being in Kowalski's just a couple times. Coastal Seafoods, is the fish market of choice. Lunds cheese section satisfies most of my needs, I am not familiar with Surdyk's

For people familiar with Lunds and Kowalski's... How do they compare to other high end grocery stores in the rest of the US?

Alex

#38 fresh_a

fresh_a
  • participating member
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:39 AM

Nope.
Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

#39 hitchmeer

hitchmeer
  • participating member
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 04:40 PM

Hello all! I'm from the Twin Cities. Well actually I'm attending grad school in Mankato right now, but am in the cities once or twice a week. I used to work full time at Cafe Latte as a bread baker, but now that I'm in school, I just fill in now and then. I just got back from a great trip to New York where I visited Amma, Suvir Saran's new Indian restaurant. He used to moderate the Indian cuisine thread here. It was amazing. Does anyone have a favorite Indian restaurant in the Twin Cities? I really enjoyed Natraj in Uptown as well as the New Delhi Bar and Restaurant. I'd love to hear from other Minnesotans on this line.

Matthew

#40 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 05:02 PM

Welcome, Matthew!

I usually hit Udapi when I get a hankering for Indian food -- I like the food and they fairly close to where I live.

Any other favorite Twin Cities haunts?

#41 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:15 PM

I pop in from time to time and I live in Wayzata and own a small personal chef/ catering firm. I knew Snowangel lived hear but am happy to hear there are a few others. I adore Vincent, do not miss Aquavit, like Levain (owner and I have know each other for years since our kids were friends in kindergarten) and spend way too many mealtimes at the Crossroads Deli in MTKA. We should definitely chat more.

Beth

#42 hitchmeer

hitchmeer
  • participating member
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:28 PM

I've heard Udapi is good. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm up from Mankato. As far as St. Paul restaurants go (St. Paul is my old stomping ground), I like going to 128 Cafe on Cleveland and Zander on Selby. Has anyone tried either of these?

Matthew

#43 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:21 PM

As far as St. Paul restaurants go (St. Paul is my old stomping ground), I like going to 128 Cafe on Cleveland and Zander on Selby.  Has anyone tried either of these?

I know them both.

Bruce

#44 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:21 PM

I've heard Udapi is good.  I'll have to give it a try next time I'm up from Mankato.  As far as St. Paul restaurants go (St. Paul is my old stomping ground), I like going to 128 Cafe on Cleveland and Zander on Selby.  Has anyone tried either of these?

Matthew

If you're up here and interested in Udapi for lunch, let me know -- I'm home weekdays. It's on Central Avenue (in the 50's), and Central Ave (closer to Lowry) has had a mini-resurgence. Patel, the Indian grocery, has moved across the street and is greatly expanded. Holy Lane absorbed the space next door and so now the restaurant/deli is much larger and the grocery section is absolutely wonderful. There's also a decent Mexican hole in the wall in that area.

Yes, 128 Cafe. It's been a while since we've been, but have never been disappointed. The new kid in that area is Heartland, and we had a great dinner there this summer. Owner is former chef at W. A. Frost. Another little gem in that area is Trotters.

#45 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:23 PM

I pop in from time to time and I live in Wayzata and own a small personal chef/ catering firm.  I knew Snowangel lived hear but am happy to hear there are a few others.  I adore Vincent, do not miss Aquavit, like Levain (owner and I have know each other for years since our kids were friends in kindergarten) and spend way too many mealtimes at the Crossroads Deli in MTKA.  We should definitely chat more.

Beth

Welcome.

After my last visit there, I've pretty much given up on Levain. The food was fine, but not worth the price...and it was much too noisy.

Seems like there's quite a good Minneapolis contingent. We should definitely plan something.

Bruce

#46 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 09:20 PM

Seems like there's quite a good Minneapolis contingent.  We should definitely plan something.

Bruce

So, let's get planning. Restaurant? Korean? Vietnamese? Big E's? Weekday evening? Weekend? I'm open to almost anything.

#47 John Braise

John Braise
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:39 AM

Lifelong St. Paulite checking in.

There are a few excellent St. Paul restaurants that haven't been mentioned yet. Luci (and Luci Ancora) in Highland are, to me at least, mindbogglingly good. I don't think I've ever had anything there that wasn't spot on. The second one is Chet's Taverna on Raymond off of University. Cozy, excellent food. Highly seasonal, local, organic where possible; it's almost like a smaller, less polished, original version of Heartland.

#48 slbunge

slbunge
  • participating member
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:57 AM

Oddly, with all the time I have spent in the Twin Cities and I have never been to Chet's Taverna. Thanks for mentioning it so I can bubble it up near the top of the list.

Ristorante Luci is very good. I like it better than Luci Ancora. I know it is the same family that runs both, so I'm not sure if Ristorante Luci's kitchen is actually better or if it is simply that I prefer the atmosphere better and it affects my judgement.

Speaking of St Paul restaurants, has anyone been to Barbary Fig recently? I had a good meal there several years ago but haven't been since.
Stephen Bunge
St Paul, MN

#49 John Braise

John Braise
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:21 AM

When Luci Ancora first opened up they were going to do a Northern Italy/Southern Italy thing with the two resturants, so they had very different menus, and in many people's opinion very different quality (OK, not very different, but different enough and Luci was better) About a year or so ago, they supposedly retooled Luci Ancora and brought it up to Luci's standard. The menus are still different, but they are more interchangable - an item on Ancora's menu could show up on Luci's menu the next night and vice versa.

That said, I haven't been to Ancora since the change, so I don't know if it's true.

#50 denise_jer

denise_jer
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:36 AM

I've always enjoyed our meals at Zander's on Selby in St. Paul, and 128 Cafe as well.

What do people think of Goodfellow's in Minneapolis? We were there a couple of weeks ago, and some of the dishes we had were pretty good, but then some of them just knocked our socks off! We went for the wine tasting they have on the first Friday of the month that same night. I was wondering what other people's experiences were.

#51 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:49 AM

It's been so long since I've been to Goodfellow's that I don't trust any of my opinions.

#52 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:50 AM

FYI, my first review for the Star Tribune is here.

Bruce

Edited by Schneier, 23 October 2003 - 11:50 AM.

#53 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:15 PM

Bruce

Very nice review Bruce and Karen. Aside from the specifics about the food, I like the way you create a picture of the space and also provide context for the entity as a whole. Very descriptive, yet economically-worded too.

Thanks for sharing that... :smile:

=R=
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

#54 hitchmeer

hitchmeer
  • participating member
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:16 PM

Snowangel:

That's funny. I was just at Patel grocery yesterday to get ingredients to make Bhel Puri. I will actually be up in the cities this weekend and probably be at Patel again with a friend to buy more Indian groceries. Let me know if you'd like to meet.

Incidentally, does anyone in this thread know Lynn Rossetto Kasper from the Splendid Table? I've been wanting to meet her forever. I just left a message on the 800 line as well as with her associate producer about my recent Indian dining experience in New York, as I thought that the chef would be an excellent guest (see Amma under the New York thread for various member musings on this excellent restaurant). She seems like a great person.

Matthew

#55 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:42 PM

Bruce

Way to go! Nice review. I'll look forward to more of these. Do let us TC'ers know when you have reviews published (or drafted) of local haunts. I did read your entire review packet!

#56 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:45 PM

Chet's Taverna is a good spot and I 've dined fabulously well at Cafe 128. Ristorante Luci was so crowded and uncomfortable on my last and only visit that it completely overwhelmed my impressions of the food.

Have you tried the Sample Room - I love the food and experience there also.

Do you think we could get 6 or 8 of us together - could be interesting? I'm game for it.

#57 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:49 PM

Do you think we could get 6 or 8 of us together - could be interesting?  I'm game for it.

I mentioned this on the Twin Cities Farmer's Market Thread.

Yes, we should get together. I vote for something relatively inexpensive as to not exclude anyone (including me!), and suggested perhaps Korean, Vietnamese, Big E's, whatever.

So, I'm soliticiting suggestions (all sound good to me) and days/times.

I've been hankering for a local gathering for over a year, when I was seemingly the lone TC voice...

#58 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:51 PM

It's been so long since I've been to Goodfellow's that I don't trust any of my opinions.

Ditto. Goodfellows always seemed a little too "corporate/expense account" for me. Less to do with the food than with the atmosphere, methinks.

And, I'm more of a try someplace new person than an old standby person (unless, of course, it is 2:00 in the morning after a "long evening").

#59 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:57 PM

Bruce

Way to go! Nice review. I'll look forward to more of these. Do let us TC'ers know when you have reviews published (or drafted) of local haunts. I did read your entire review packet!

Will do.

Our Strib review is supposed to run weekly, assuming we can find enough restaurants to review in our geographical area.

#60 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:59 PM

Do you think we could get 6 or 8 of us together - could be interesting?  I'm game for it.

I mentioned this on the Twin Cities Farmer's Market Thread.

Yes, we should get together. I vote for something relatively inexpensive as to not exclude anyone (including me!), and suggested perhaps Korean, Vietnamese, Big E's, whatever.

So, I'm soliticiting suggestions (all sound good to me) and days/times.

I've been hankering for a local gathering for over a year, when I was seemingly the lone TC voice...

Okay. Let's do this.

The last time I tried going to the Sample Room, I think there was a problem with reservations: they don't take any.

Do we want to do it on a weeknight or a weekend? I suggest November 6th or November 14th.

Bruce