Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Good Mourning Vietnam

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 ChefCarey

ChefCarey
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

I just got back on this after spending 2 years in Colombia (sometimes reminded me of my '68 senior trip) and I still can't eat a lima bean.  I think I met you while I was there, having spent all my time in the 1/27.  I try not to think about it, but when you're being coptered into drilling sites, you automatically look to see where the patches on the bullet holes are located so you know whether to wear the flak jacket or sit on it.

View Post

Well, we may have met, I did spend a lot of time with the 1/27 - and the 2/27.

I always sat on my flak jacket. :wacko:

#32 Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk
  • participating member
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

I just got back on this after spending 2 years in Colombia (sometimes reminded me of my '68 senior trip) and I still can't eat a lima bean.  I think I met you while I was there, having spent all my time in the 1/27.  I try not to think about it, but when you're being coptered into drilling sites, you automatically look to see where the patches on the bullet holes are located so you know whether to wear the flak jacket or sit on it.

View Post

View Post

I always try to nab a second - I notice the pilots do the same. I still think the junk we're flying around in in Colombia is Viet surplus - old 212's. I must say though, the camp food on these drilling rigs is fantastic as long as you don't eat beef. Seafood stew with baby squid, baby octopus, clams and shrimp in a nice creamy sauce over rice can't be beat. Goat chops are pretty good also. But you can't get me to try another hamburger because I don't have that many teeth I want to lose.
From Dixon, Wyoming

#33 ChefCarey

ChefCarey
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:43 AM

View Post

View Post

I always try to nab a second - I notice the pilots do the same. I still think the junk we're flying around in in Colombia is Viet surplus - old 212's. I must say though, the camp food on these drilling rigs is fantastic as long as you don't eat beef. Seafood stew with baby squid, baby octopus, clams and shrimp in a nice creamy sauce over rice can't be beat. Goat chops are pretty good also. But you can't get me to try another hamburger because I don't have that many teeth I want to lose.

View Post

C-212's? They have to fly pretty low, don't they?

#34 ChefCarey

ChefCarey
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:37 AM

Give those who are no longer with us a few minutes today as you enjoy your ribs.

I have a new web site - it's a work in progress. I'm not selling anything there.

http://www.theroguechef.net/trc/

#35 ChefCarey

ChefCarey
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

This is for those of you who have never been in a war. Or loved someone who was in a war. Or had someone maimed. Or lost someone in a war.

I'd like you to give it more than one day's thought a year.

#36 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

I guess "lambs to the slaughter" makes it a culinary post.

Damn you, Joe, you made me cry.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#37 ChefCarey

ChefCarey
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

I guess "lambs to the slaughter" makes it a culinary post.

Damn you, Joe, you made me cry.

View Post

I beat you to that cryin' thing.