Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Home Made Ice Cream (2002–2012)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
358 replies to this topic

#331 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

That peach ice cream recipe looks like a hum-dinger.

The apple sorbet recipe uses, much as you suggest, apples simmered in a bit of lemon juice. Hopefully this will produce the desired texture.

#332 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

The sour cream and lime ice cream came out very nicely. I think I might actually ramp up the lime and add some milk next time I make it.

Can anyone here elaborate on the use of condensed milk in ice cream? I've seen a few recipes that use it.

Edited by jrshaul, 16 July 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#333 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

I've only used condensed milk--the sweetened version--in a vietnamese coffee ice cream and it was fantastic, the best coffee ice cream I've ever had. Topped with a little chocolate sauce, oh my. And I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

I've been making lots of fruit ice creams. Strawberry with sour cream, another version with yogurt.

And if you like peach ice cream be sure to try an apricot version if you can get good ones. They need to be cooked lightly first with a bit of sugar, but it was sublime. Add a few drops of almond extract.

For sorbets. I like melons. Honeydew with lime, yum.

#334 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

The ice cream I've been making so far has been good, but needs work. I think part of the problem is that the ice cream is not freezing entirely in the ice cream maker (it's a bit flufffy, as per cheap ice cream that has partially thawed and refrozen). I suspect that part of the problem is an improperly frozen liner; I had assumed 10 hours was adequate, but the manual specifies as many as 24.

I currently have some semi-frozen peach ice cream (from Smithy's recipe) in my freezer. I might end up needing to thaw and refreeze.

I'm also interested in additives I can use to maintain texture in the freezer. Invert sugar/corn syrup is an option, and I've had some good sorbets with gelatine in them.

I've only used condensed milk--the sweetened version--in a vietnamese coffee ice cream and it was fantastic, the best coffee ice cream I've ever had. Topped with a little chocolate sauce, oh my. And I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

I need this recipe six ways past thursday. I know a Vietnamese girl who's returning to Wisconsin in August and has a truly massive sweet tooth....

#335 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Although I have neither, The Perfect Scoop and Jenni's Splendid Ice Creams seem to be popular books on the subject. If you want to get technical, there is Francisco Migoya's Frozen Desserts, which I do have, and which breaks down the role of the different types of fats, sugars, stabilizers, and their ideal ratios.

For me, sorbets have always been pretty trial-and-error. If you make them often enough, you will eventually get a feel for how a base tastes vs the finished frozen texture, or you can use the 'float an egg in it' test and that will help you determine the range of sugar density needed. Sour cream sorbet works great, just add simple syrup and lemon/lime juice to taste. For sorbets, I like to make a fairly heavy syrup, 3 parts sugar to 2 parts water by weight, as you can always add more plain water if needed but it is hard to add more dissolved sugar.

I do cook many fruits when making sorbet to break them down. Apples may be best when caramelized and served as an accompaniment to ice cream or maybe sour cream sorbet (sherbet). Aside from green apple sorbet made with granny smith juice and vitamin C (and a pacojet), I haven't had great luck with apple sorbet.

For fruit ice creams with chunks of fruit, I like to cook the fruit with a little sugar first, otherwise if you just have chunks of raw fruit in your ice cream they will freeze solid. The sugar keeps them soft. Thin acidic sorbets like citrus can benefit from being cooked with a little pectin to thicken the juice and bind up the water. I have made an orange-campari sorbet that uses pectin, also a bit of grapefruit juice in addition to the OJ to accentuate the bitterness. For two quarts I use 6 c OJ, 1 cup grapefruit juice, 325 g sugar, 2 tsp pectin, (cook first 4 ingreds together until signs of thickening), 1/4 c campari, and water to make up the difference (will depend on how long you cooked it).

#336 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,240 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

For sorbets, I'd check out Harold McGee's The Curious Cook, which devotes an entire chapter (with tables of the proportions of fruit juice/puree, sugar, and water for over two dozen fruits) to his experiments with sorbet and its relatives.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#337 AnneN

AnneN
  • society donor
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

The ice cream I've been making so far has been good, but needs work. I think part of the problem is that the ice cream is not freezing entirely in the ice cream maker (it's a bit flufffy, as per cheap ice cream that has partially thawed and refrozen). I suspect that part of the problem is an improperly frozen liner; I had assumed 10 hours was adequate, but the manual specifies as many as 24.

I currently have some semi-frozen peach ice cream (from Smithy's recipe) in my freezer. I might end up needing to thaw and refreeze.

I'm also interested in additives I can use to maintain texture in the freezer. Invert sugar/corn syrup is an option, and I've had some good sorbets with gelatine in them.

I need this recipe six ways past thursday. I know a Vietnamese girl who's returning to Wisconsin in August and has a truly massive sweet tooth....

Try chilling the mixture for a few hours before you put it the ice cream machine.
Anne Napolitano
Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

#338 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

You really have to freeze the canister in a canister machine for 24 hours.

And I always "age" my base at least overnight in the fridge. It should be as cold as possible before being spun in the ice cream maker.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#339 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I agree with freezing the canister, in as cold a deep freeze as possible, for 24 hours. I read somewhere years ago (Cook's Illustrated?) that most home refrigerator freezers don't get cold enough to do the job right. That's small comfort if you don't happen to have a deep freeze, and it's never stopped me from making ice cream. Sometimes I just find myself having to do what you're doing: making the ice cream, freezing it harder, allowing it to partially thaw and finishing the job. Someday maybe I'll acquire a second bowl so I can churn the ice cream in the summer heat and transfer the product to the backup frozen bowl to finish the job. (The temperature / heat retention issue shows the advantage of the old rock-salt and ice method, but that method makes a messy disposal problem.)

As others have noted upthread you're better off to start with a well-chilled mixture. In the case of ripe peaches, nectarines and plums, I've had good success with making the batter (lemon juice helps keep the flavor and color), chilling it thoroughly and then churning it into ice cream...if I have the time. Alternatively, I start with well-chilled fruit and make the batter quickly so it doesn't have much time to warm up.

One more thing to be careful of is how much batter you put into the freezer bowl. We've already discussed overfilling: with too much batter the excess gets churned out the top and doesn't freeze properly, although it tastes fine. On the other hand, if you put too little in you'll end up with a very grainy icy ice cream because it will freeze too quickly for proper aeration during the churning.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#340 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Small bits.

I'll often put the un-churned ice cream mix in a stainless steel bowl into the freezer for one hour before churning it.

To keep the bowl cold, I put a big fat elastic piece around the outside casing, and then slip two or three gel pacs...the kind for aches and pains...under the band and that keeps the bowl good and cold.

We have a few freezers in our life: two big ones and two fridge type ones. The coldest freezer is the dog food freezer (our dogs eat real meat) and I use it for my ice cream freezer. It's so cold that some containers of churned ice cream have to go into the kitchen fridge freezer to keep them scoop-able in under 20 minutes.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#341 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

The peach ice cream recipe above came out very well indeed, though I would describe it as more of a sherbet. And peaches are on sale!

One more thing to be careful of is how much batter you put into the freezer bowl. We've already discussed overfilling: with too much batter the excess gets churned out the top and doesn't freeze properly, although it tastes fine. On the other hand, if you put too little in you'll end up with a very grainy icy ice cream because it will freeze too quickly for proper aeration during the churning.

I've noticed this very issue. I've been making small batches to get my feet wet, and they tend to come out a bit on the dense side.

I also prepared a cooked apple puree, but my blender couldn't get all the peel and I can't seem to force the stuff through a sieve. Short of finding a Vita-Mix, any suggestions?

#342 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

A food mill might take care of the peel.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#343 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,240 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

A food mill might take care of the peel.

I'd second that, food mills do a great job of this sort of thing. but couldn't you just peel the apples? It's a bore, but might be your simplest solution, if you don't have a food mill.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#344 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

I'd second that, food mills do a great job of this sort of thing. but couldn't you just peel the apples? It's a bore, but might be your simplest solution, if you don't have a food mill.

The inclusion of the peel was suggested in order to add color to the puree. I may remove it in the future - the apples used were unusually small, and this seemed an efficient way to cook with them. A run in my curbside find margarita blender reduced peel to an unobjectionable level, though the flavor was a bit diffuse; next time, I may use apple juice instead of water.

I have a batch of banana ice cream chilling in the freezer. I used about 1.75lbs of bananas (before peeling), 3/4 cup whole milk, 3/4 cup cream, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup corn syrup, and about a teaspoon of vanilla. I tried adding a ribbon of peanut butter, but it didn't go over well; instead of a neat swirl, I have brown speckles everywhere. (Should taste great, though!)

I currently have a sack of grapefruit and a friend with a dairy allergy. I'd like to do a grapefruit sorbet, and would appreciate suggestions on the ideal method of production; while I'm not much for filleting grapefruits, I do have a centrifugal juicer. I've heard a ratio of 4 parts juice to 1 part sugar to 1 part corn syrup is effective for a soft sorbet, and it seems that the inclusino of alcohol allows further sugar to be substituted for corn syrup; can anyone make further suggestions?
Also, has anyone here done dairy-free ice cream? Lactose is an issue, but the use of eggs is fine.

Edited by jrshaul, 19 July 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#345 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

This http://www.epicuriou...ce-Cream-105139 is the best homemade ice cream I have every eaten. I made it last weekend to rave reviews and it is guaranteed to make you a culinary hero. It is the perfect balance of cream and not too "eggy".

I make it exactly as is. I have a chest freezer so I keep my ice cream maker in it constantly so it is ready to go. The custard and strawberry puree I make the day before. While we are eating the main course I churn the ice cream for dessert. It turns out semi hard, just as I like it.

I would start with strawberries and then branch out into what ever fruit takes your fancy.
Life is short, eat dessert first

#346 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

I would start with strawberries and then branch out into what ever fruit takes your fancy.

Is this recipe appropriate for a variety of fruit purees? The peach recipe above is very nice, but it is more of a sherbet than ice cream; while the reduced dilution of flavor is great for less than superior produce, an easily mutable base recipe is a fabulous thing to have.

On a related note, if anyone has a recipe for ice cream using lemon, I would be anxious to hear it. The local ice cream parlor doesn't do citrus flawlessly; I suspect they're making heavy use of canned products and extracts, and citrus does not fare well.

The possibility of making a "cheesecake" ice cream using cream cheese also has great appeal, if anyone can verify an effective recipe.

Edited by jrshaul, 19 July 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#347 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,415 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

Is this recipe appropriate for a variety of fruit purees? The peach recipe above is very nice, but it is more of a sherbet than ice cream; while the reduced dilution of flavor is great for less than superior produce, an easily mutable base recipe is a fabulous thing to have.

On a related note, if anyone has a recipe for ice cream using lemon, I would be anxious to hear it. The local ice cream parlor doesn't do citrus flawlessly; I suspect they're making heavy use of canned products and extracts, and citrus does not fare well.

The possibility of making a "cheesecake" ice cream using cream cheese also has great appeal, if anyone can verify an effective recipe.

Here is a lemon recipe that is actually quite amazing - it's from the California Culinary Academy series, which are a series of 8 by 10 soft cover books from the 80's that contain some really excellent recipes. No cream, no fat, but it comes across as smooth and creamy.

Lemon Sorbet
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 ¼ cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 ½ cups lemon juice
Bring water and sugar to a boil (though the recipe doesn't state - I'd bring this to about 120ºC). Beat egg whites until stiff. Pour boiling syrup into egg whites and beat until cool. Add lemon juice. Transfer to ice cream machine and freeze.

#348 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

Also, has anyone here done dairy-free ice cream? Lactose is an issue, but the use of eggs is fine.

Coconut milk/cream makes a fine ice cream base and there are many suitable recipes online. I'm sure you could use rice or soy milk also.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#349 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 531 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

I've made the one in "The Perfect Scoop" and it fits the bill...I added broken cookies to mine to create the "crust" texture
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#350 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

Is this recipe appropriate for a variety of fruit purees?

I think that I would do the strawberry first if I were you and see what the base receipe is "supposed" to taste like, then I would branch out.

I have succesfully substituted blackberries and raspberries for the strawberries. I see no reason why a peach puree would not work, as it is the custard base that is so fantastic. Peach and strawberries have about the same sweetness level, so I would use the recipe as is as simply use peaches.

It is peach season here, so I think I will try it out myself! :raz:

Edited by forever_young_ca, 20 July 2012 - 07:17 AM.

Life is short, eat dessert first

#351 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

<snip>... A run in my curbside find margarita blender reduced peel to an unobjectionable level, though the flavor was a bit diffuse; next time, I may use apple juice instead of water.
<more snip>
I currently have a sack of grapefruit and a friend with a dairy allergy. I'd like to do a grapefruit sorbet, and would appreciate suggestions on the ideal method of production; while I'm not much for filleting grapefruits, I do have a centrifugal juicer. I've heard a ratio of 4 parts juice to 1 part sugar to 1 part corn syrup is effective for a soft sorbet, and it seems that the inclusino of alcohol allows further sugar to be substituted for corn syrup; can anyone make further suggestions?

First off, I love the reference to your curbside find margarita blender. You seem to be an effective and diligent rescuer of appliances that need new homes. Good for you!

Kerry Beal's lemon sorbet recipe from the California Culinary Academy series, upthread a couple of posts, sounds like it would be a good treatment for grapefruit too; you may need to adjust the sweetness a bit. I wonder whether straight grapefruit juice would work as well as mixing it with something else? If mixed, with what? Pineapple juice, perhaps?

Glad you like the peach ice cream recipe, even if it seems more like sherbet to you. It's funny I never thought of it that way. To this day, whenever I hear the word "sherbet" I think of the commercially-produced and -cartoned orange sherbet or rainbow sherbet from grocery stores, or - worse yet - the popsicles that were orange sherbet wrapped around a center of vanilla ice cream. I know they were popular, but to me they were always nasty. I'll just keep calling my recipe "ice cream", thankyouverymuch. :laugh:

Edited by Smithy, 20 July 2012 - 10:00 AM.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#352 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

I made a batch of honey ice cream yesterday. Due to available ingredients, it came out like this:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups whole milk
4 small egg yolks
2/3 cup honey

It came out edible, but the whole process was something of a botch-fest. Stupid mistakes include:

1. Unceremoniously mixing the eggs with the rest of the custard before cooking. In order to keep the eggs from going funny, I stirred the stuff constantly until it was hot.
2. Grainy texture. The liner in my ice cream maker has trouble bringing merely chilled custard to a soft-serve texture, so I left the custard in the freezer until the edges were starting to freeze. I did try to mix in the frozen bits to produce a homogeneously unfrozen liquid, but the results weren't great.

I also might be running it too fast. Next time, I'll put it on "slow."
3. Inadequately custard-like. Aside from the issue with the tempering, these had really dinky yolks.

The coconut custard was honestly pretty crap. The coconut milk used had something of a sour flavor; furthermore, the end result was inadequately sweetened and lacked an appropriate texture.

Next up: Kiwi sorbet! I'm getting xanthan gum.

#353 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Things I have learned:

1. Eggs don't work all that well on their own to prevent big ice crystals. Maybe I could make it thicker if I cooked the custard longer?

2. Anything short of 100% dairy cream will have some crystallization without the addition of a stabilizer.

3. Swapping corn starch for tapioca starch will produce silly putty, not ice cream.

4. 1tbsp of xanthan gum in a quart of ice cream is a horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

I don't really like the taste of corn starch, but I'll likely stick with it for future batches. Still beats ice crystals or silly putty...

#354 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,240 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Things I have learned:

1. Eggs don't work all that well on their own to prevent big ice crystals. Maybe I could make it thicker if I cooked the custard longer?

2. Anything short of 100% dairy cream will have some crystallization without the addition of a stabilizer.

3. Swapping corn starch for tapioca starch will produce silly putty, not ice cream.

4. 1tbsp of xanthan gum in a quart of ice cream is a horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

I don't really like the taste of corn starch, but I'll likely stick with it for future batches. Still beats ice crystals or silly putty...

The July/August 2011 issue of Cook's Illustrated includes a recipe for vanilla ice cream, and the accompanying discussion goes over several of these issues.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#355 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

I don't think I can 'taste' the cornstarch in my ice creams. I can sometimes 'taste' eggs in homemade ice cream and don't like that. I am assuming that you are cooking the cornstarch thoroughly. (I never had cornstarch pudding before using cornstarch in ice creams.)

Can others 'taste' the cornstarch? Am I lacking a cornstarch taste bud? Just insensitive to some tastes? Etc?

I am curious about this. I use cornstarch in the base of almost all my ice creams.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#356 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Can others 'taste' the cornstarch? Am I lacking a cornstarch taste bud? Just insensitive to some tastes? Etc?

I am curious about this. I use cornstarch in the base of almost all my ice creams.

I have a really strong dislike of cornstarch. There's no rhyme or reason behind it, beyond that I can taste it faintly in most applications where it has been used.

I might try reducing the tapioca and see what happens, or steaming the custard a la' creme brulee.

#357 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,240 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

I don't think I can 'taste' the cornstarch in my ice creams. I can sometimes 'taste' eggs in homemade ice cream and don't like that. I am assuming that you are cooking the cornstarch thoroughly. (I never had cornstarch pudding before using cornstarch in ice creams.)

I can taste (perceive? not sure whether it is precisely taste) corn starch, at least if it's present in any significant amount, a sort metallic sensation on the tongue. It doesn't always bother me terribly, but I'd be just as happy if it wasn't there.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#358 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

To this day, whenever I hear the word "sherbet" I think of the commercially-produced and -cartoned orange sherbet or rainbow sherbet from grocery stores, or - worse yet - the popsicles that were orange sherbet wrapped around a center of vanilla ice cream. I know they were popular, but to me they were always nasty.

No! Really? Are you sure you're not from a different solar system? :rolleyes: Creamsicles (vanilla ice cream/orange ice popsicles) are still a craving and I've reproduced the combo with high quality orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream. The idea of them being considered "nasty" is hard to wrap my head around.

#359 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

I can taste (perceive? not sure whether it is precisely taste) corn starch, at least if it's present in any significant amount, a sort metallic sensation on the tongue. It doesn't always bother me terribly, but I'd be just as happy if it wasn't there.

I shall try it again. I have a couple of new batches of ice cream put away for the Dog Weekend. I normally am 'sensitive' to that metallicy taste in commercial products...tried DQ's Orange Julius and was so taken aback by the taste of 'metallic' in it. Not pleasant. Didn't drink it.

Around an American quart of ice cream, with my regular recipe, has three tablespoons of cornstarch. Is that a lot?
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates