Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Trader Joe's Artisan Puff Pastry

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

They're about 8 by 9 inches.

#32 foodie3

foodie3
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

i love this pastry!
i am trying to figure out how to get a 12'' circle for a tart tatin - can i roll it out thinner or somehow combine the two sheets?

#33 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

i've rolled it thinner. it won't puff as much, but that's okay for a tart tatin, anyhow!
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#34 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • participating member
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

What a fabulous product... JGarner's lovely tart pictured on the package duly noted.

I deckled the edges and used it as a top over chicken and sauteed mushrooms in a sauce of chicken stock and cream. A little egg wash for shine, wonderful puff and flavor.

A boon. Reminds me in a very good way of the Olden Days of Trader Joe's.

Priscilla

~Observing Taco Friday since 2010~

Twitter InstagramOCFoodNation.com Orange Coast Magazine

#35 etalanian

etalanian
  • participating member
  • 538 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:45 PM

I looked for it in the Jenkintown Trader Joe's yesterday and couldn't find it. Is it being discontinued? Does anyone have any information about it?

Thanks,

Eileen
Eileen Talanian
[size="3"]HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com
HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com[/size]

[size="3"]As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow[/size]

#36 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

Is this the same stuff (and maker) of the pain au chocolat? Oh my goodness (even if they are labeled Chocolate Croissants.)

#37 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

Is this the same stuff (and maker) of the pain au chocolat? Oh my goodness (even if they are labeled Chocolate Croissants.)

View Post

I believe that chocolate croissants are made by Galaxy Desserts, maker of the Williams Sonoma croissants. (Puff pastry is made by Bay Bread.) The croissants are quite good -- wish they'd carry the plain, though.

By the way, the chocolate croissants from WS are $39.95 for 15, plus the cost of overnight shipping, but only $4 for a box of 4 at TJs. :smile:

Edited by mukki, 09 December 2007 - 08:36 PM.

#38 cajungirl

cajungirl
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

Well, this is the last thing my chubby butt needed to know, but I'm on my way to TJ's... Guess I can work it off after the holidays :biggrin:
Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

#39 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

We finally had the opportunity to use some over Thanksgiving. (We live a six-hour drive from the nearest TJ's, and nothing frozen would be frozen still by the time it got home. Ah, the joys of a station wagon!)

We baked it blind, and heaped slow-cooked onions over the top. Delicious.

MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#40 fooey

fooey
  • participating member
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

I decided to try Trader Joe's Artisan Puff Pastry by making a Pithiviers with it.

If you're interested, were discussing Pithiviers here: http://forums.egulle...howtopic=103374

Verdict: It works in pinch for appetizers (such as those suggested on the box), but if you're making speciality pastries (like Pithiviers), I would avoid it for several reasons:

1. The size of the sheets is just too small, limiting your range.

2. There are fork holes in the pastry, which I assume are made to stop shrinkage; but, if you have to flour the surface for rolling, the flour gets into the holes and stays there.

3. The flavour is, for lack of a better term, "off". It's supposed to be all-butter puff pastry and, indeed, that's what it says on the box. It smells like butter too, but the taste is just off. It's a flavour I associate with shortening or oil, but there's no mention of shortening in the ingredients.

INGREDIENTS (as listed on box): Wheat flour, Butter (milk), Salt, Sugar, Water.

4. The puff pastry's "puff performance" is just OK, nothing impressive. As you can see from the images on the box (which are accurate) and the ones I post below, it puffs well enough, but no where near as much as one might expect. It could be the number of pastry "turns" or some other reason, but if you're expecting it to behave like homemade puff pastry with substantial puff, this won't do it for you. Caveat: I rolled the sheets to 12 x 12; had I not rolled the sheets of pastry, it's puff could/may have have been more substantial. When I have more time, I will try making a mini-Pithiviers and NOT roll the dough, just to see if it puffs more.

BUT! IT COSTS $5. I can nit pick it until it melts, but it still costs $5 and takes zero time to make.

Here are some pictures.

You can see the anti-shrinkage holes (and how they picked up the flour) in this photo.

Posted Image

Rolled out to about 12 x 12.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography
Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

#41 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

I looked for it in the Jenkintown Trader Joe's yesterday and couldn't find it. Is it being discontinued? Does anyone have any information about it?

Thanks,

Eileen

View Post

Check with them again, I checked center city before going there today to make sure it's in the store. It's there.
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#42 plafield

plafield
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

I just made a treck to the nearest TJ and bought the last 3 packages. I can't wait to try it! Making puff is way too much work for me and it never turns out quite right so I'm psyched about this product. I'm going against the advice here and I'm going to try a pithivier for Chistmas. I'll let you know how it turns out!

#43 Patapsco Mike

Patapsco Mike
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:50 AM

FWIW my wife and kids freak out over this stuff. I just cut the whole thing into triangles. I put a lump of brie onto one- then another goes on top. Use a fork to seal the edges, and brush with egg wash. A few minutes in the oven and it's ready. I've yet to have one make it to room temperature before it's devoured.
Any dish you make will only taste as good as the ingredients you put into it. If you use poor quality meats, old herbs and tasteless winter tomatoes I don’t even want to hear that the lasagna recipe I gave you turned out poorly. You're a cook, not a magician.

#44 plafield

plafield
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

I used the TJ puff paste to make a pithivier and it was OK but not great. I had to roll the pastry out pretty thin to get it big enough to hold the almond cream and then it started to burn on the botom before it was cooked all the way through. Not great.

But it was fabulous to wrap around a wheel of good brie covered with homemade cherry preserves. I baked it for an hour on one of those "air pocket" cookie sheets so it didn't burn on the bottom and cooked all the way through. It looked gorgeous and was delicious. If I knew how to post a picture I'd share it with you all! But I can't figure out how to post a pic!

#45 plafield

plafield
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

I used the TJ puff paste to make a pithivier and it was OK but not great. I had to roll the pastry out pretty thin to get it big enough to hold the almond cream and then it started to burn on the botom before it was cooked all the way through. Not great.

But it was fabulous to wrap around a wheel of good brie covered with homemade cherry preserves. I baked it for an hour on one of those "air pocket" cookie sheets so it didn't burn on the bottom and cooked all the way through. It looked gorgeous and was delicious. If I knew how to post a picture I'd share it with you all! But I can't figure out how to post a pic!

View Post

OK here's a pic
Posted Image

#46 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

Now they are stocking Canneles! Anyone know if these are from Bay Breads, Galaxy Desserts, or? They are beeswaxed, crisp, and creamy. Oh my.

And to stay on topic - I used the puff pastry to make cheese straws with black pepper and aged cheddar - inhaled quickly.

Edited by tsquare, 16 August 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#47 jgarner53

jgarner53
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:21 PM

Gah, really? I left Bay Bread last month (and there was no word about making cannele for TJ's then). If so, that would be a production nightmare!

(I am now at Tartine Bakery, still in SF).
"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner
buttercream pastries

#48 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

I enjoyed the pastry, but would not buy it again, mainly because it was so, oily or greasy. Maybe, that's the way its supposed to be, but that my $.02.

#49 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

Gah, really? I left Bay Bread last month (and there was no word about making cannele for TJ's then). If so, that would be a production nightmare!

(I am now at Tartine Bakery, still in SF).

View Post

Congratulations, yes?
The sign for canneles was still on the freezer case, but no product last week. Stockers said they hadn't seen them for a while. Just as well, I suppose.

#50 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:10 AM

i saw them yesterday is So CA.
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#51 jgarner53

jgarner53
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

I saw the canneles last week at my TJ's, but not by Sunday afternoon when I went to pick some up with the weekly groceries. They must have been out.

From the picture on the box, I can tell you one thing almost for sure. The canneles on the box were baked in a silicone flexipan, NOT a copper mold. We DID test flexipans at Bay Bread this spring. I personally thought they were awful, especially because we were not waxing them, just pan spray. The edges of the flutes came out too sharp, and they actually took way longer to bake than the copper molds.

I still want to taste the TJ's canneles, though to see how they are. Just have to wait for them to be back in stock. I doubt anything will compare, though, to getting a fresh one right after the bake at work.
"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner
buttercream pastries

#52 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Is there any verdict yet on the TJ canneles? I saw them in the freezer case last week.

#53 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

Is there any verdict yet on the TJ canneles?  I saw them in the freezer case last week.

View Post

They are quite creamy inside and toasted on the outside. While they don't compare with the best I have had fresh, they are better than the worst I have had from a bakery. I like to keep a box on hand for desperate cravings. The price is pretty good too.

#54 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Is there any verdict yet on the TJ canneles?  I saw them in the freezer case last week.

View Post

They are quite creamy inside and toasted on the outside. While they don't compare with the best I have had fresh, they are better than the worst I have had from a bakery. I like to keep a box on hand for desperate cravings. The price is pretty good too.

View Post

Thanks. I think we'll pick some up.

#55 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

Having never had the real thing (and never even knowing such lovelies existed before jgarner53 wrote about them), I have to say I like TJ's version. I do realize they're probably not the best ever, but they are good, at least to my uneducated palate. I'm on my 3rd box...
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#56 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:07 AM

Having never had the real thing (and never even knowing such lovelies existed before jgarner53 wrote about them), I have to say I like TJ's version. I do realize they're probably not the best ever, but they are good, at least to my uneducated palate. I'm on my 3rd box...

View Post

That's where I learned about them, too! And my friend mentioned them last week. I wonder if I can get good fresh ones in Chicago anywhere?

#57 dans

dans
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

We've used TJ's Puff Pastry for a while now. It is certainly quite easy to use, no unfolding, rolling, docking, etc. and inexpensive to boot. The problem is I can't find it anymore. I went o the local store and the stock clerk said they had run out of "last years" supply and they didn't know if they were getting any for this year.

Now, once I got past the shock of learning I was using a frozen product with almost a year of age on it, I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to find it any more.

Anyone know if this is true?

Dan

#58 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

At one of the stores here (Atlanta), we couldn't find it -- after preaching about it to our students, of course. The clerk at the information counter said "We're not carrying it anymore." I don't know if that's a chain-wide decision or not, but subsequent searches at other TJs in the city also came up puffless.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

#59 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

I haven't been able to get it in quite awhile. They told me it might be back for the holidays, but I haven't seen it.

#60 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

We have some precious stash in our freezer. But a recent trip to Wegman's (a "little" Wegman's, no less) had some Wegman's brand puff pastry in the freezer section. I read the ingredients, and it seems to be all-butter. I hope it's here to stay and not just a seasonal thing.

MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2